Thread: Lefty Frizzell 1928-1975

Lefty Frizzell 1928-1975

Simply one of the great vocal stylists in country-music history, Texas-born William Orville "Lefty" Frizzell came out of the Southwest honky-tonk circuit to land a recording contract with Columbia Records in 1950, when he was 22 years old; he would become one of the biggest stars in country music only a year later. When his Columbia run ended in 1970, he left with 17 Top 10 hits and six #1 singles on his rŽsumŽ, plus a host of devoted disciples including Merle Haggard (whose song "The Way It Was in '51" memorialized the total dominance Frizzell and his buddy Hank Williams exerted over country music in one vibrant year) and Willie Nelson, who saw fit to honor one of his major influences with an entire album in 1977, To Lefty From Willie. Frizzell was only 47 when he died from a cerebral hemorrhage in 1975, but his legacy lives on in succeeding generations of vocalists such as Clint Black, the late Keith Whitley, and especially Randy Travis, each of whom forged an individual style out of what he had learned from Frizzell's emotionally rich and revealing phrasing.

Frizzell's records, while offering a fair share of heartbreak and despair, are remarkably life-affirming, considering his struggles with alcoholism during his short life. This is especially true of the early smash hits, which build on a traditional country foundation while being streamlined in a way well-suited to the quickening pace of post-World War II America. Lay a personable, gimmick-free tenor voice on top of that, and you've got something that speaks directly to listeners looking for stories relevant to their own lives. The simple affirmations of unconditional and enduring love for parents in 1951's poignant "Mom and Dad Waltz" skirt sentimentality not only in the lyrics but also in the dirgelike fiddle lines and moaning pedal-steel fills, ultimately saying what many feel in their hearts. Similarly, the buoyant expressions of romantic love fueling Frizzell's debut hit, "I Love You a Thousand Ways" (one of his landmark recordings; it's now an acknowledged country classic) effectively encapsulate a starry-eyed view of a significant other, even though the song was written from a jail cell in which the 18-year-old Frizzell was serving a sentence for statutory rape; by the same token, the melancholy strains of "Always Late (With Your Kisses)" describe the kick inside when something's amiss in a relationship, especially in the futility with which Frizzell in-vests his lyric, "Why oh why do you want to do me this way?" On balance, Frizzell had a way with a love song that brooks few comparisons in all of country-music history -- the tenderness he brings to his singing and his uncanny modulations in tone and phrasing to suit the mood of the moment are blueprints in the art of technically adroit, openhearted vocalizing.

Morbid1 Guest
    Dude,your music taste just blows me away!

Its almost as if you were in the same house with me
    growing up, lol.Lefty is another great country artist.

Here is a great song buy the great lefty!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6XzPMF-0D0k

-Morbid1

I watched all those tons of times Morbid. Old country is what I listen to the most now. Its more genuine to me than rock these days.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Lefty was amazing. Gram Parsons and Keith Richards were both HUGE fans of his.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    I like the song Long Black Veil and Saginaw, Michigan

smellslikealmonds Guest
    His brother, David has nothing on him.

You know here in my little rinky-dink town about 30 yrs ago him or his brother had a bar here, called Frizzel's. Now it is a 99 cent store.

Nowereman Guest
    Never heard of Lefty I'm afraid, But I will find out more about him and give him a listen, I always like to learn about music I haven't heard before, especially when it has passed me by - thanks.

Jaxxx Guest
    Jefe you amaze me, love your choices in music... Lefty, Lefty, Lefty........

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    Lefty was amazing. Gram Parsons and Keith Richards were both HUGE fans of his.
    Boy with a seal from you I need to check this guy out!

Darrianne Guest
    George Strait did a tribute song to him - back in the 80's I think....called "Lefty's Gone". Very pretty.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrianne View Post
    George Strait did a tribute song to him - back in the 80's I think....called "Lefty's Gone". Very pretty.
    yummy george strait

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Boy with a seal from you I need to check this guy out!
    he's REALLY good, Danny. well worth checking out.

Danny check out, "Always late with your kisses" "I love you a thousand ways" and
    "I never go around mirrors"