Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roseanne - the TV show

Roseanne - the TV show

I just thought I'd start a thread about Roseanne - the TV show, just in case any fans wanted to discuss it. I was reading the Glenn Quinn thread earlier this morning and saw a few blurbs about the show there.

I myself have been on a Roseanne marathon the last month and have been watching all the seasons on DVD that I own. I'm almost done with season 8 now.

Someone mentioned in the GQ thread how Jackie (Laurie Metcalf) and Roseanne didn't get along in real life. I find that a bit odd since they seemed to get along so well on the show, and had a lot of hilarious moments together.

One of my favourites is in season 1 when Dan is singing some Elvis songs and Jackie and Roseanne act like crazed fans, pawing a screaming at him, and then when he drops his scarf to them, they fight and go nuts over it. I laugh my ass off over it.

Maybe Roseanne was resentful of Laurie since Laurie won an Emmy for the show at one point? They showed her shining it up at the end of one of the shows and then they all chase her around the studio when they try to grab it from her!

I also wish Lecy G didn't leave the show off and on to go to college, since I didn't care much for her replacement, Sarah - who was more like a "fill in" and didn't contribute much to the show. All the great fights and barbs between Becky & Darlene were the best and never happened when Sarah was filling in.

I'm almost hesitant to watch season 9 since it's more like a "throw away" season full of junk mostly. And that last episode with Roseanne writing and "explaining" the whole thing, left me saying "WTF?" the first time I saw it when it aired on TV. I guess she left NO chance at all for a reunion show!

Thank you for starting this thread! I LOVE Roseanne! I've always had a crush on Dan, I thought he was a really great husband and actually found him kind of sexy. ha ha. I loved the show up until the lottery story line. The show was best in it's earlier seasons in my opinion.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Someone should write a book about that show. All the stuff that went on behind the camera was crazy. Tom Arnold alone would be 2-3 chapters. The various "Runners" for the show may still be in therapy.

Yes, I watched it but stopped after the "real" Becky returned. Shelley Winters had a great interview where she was asked two questions about why she did the show ("Honey, I got bills.") and why she stopped being on it. I can't find her exact response to the second question but it was something about not wanting to deal with a bunch of crap at her age. (I think she said something about waste from a horse.)

I'm really amazed too that NO ONE has written a "behind the scenes" book about the show either. It was on for 9 years and so much crap was going on with that show - writers being fired left and right, Roseanne going thru 3 husbands, people coming and going who were on the show, and everything else.

I'm pretty sure it would be a really good read. Strange that it's been about 13 years since the show went off the air...and nothing has been said or written.

I believe it was one of the writers or producers who had to be convinced to do another show with another comedian (Tim Allen Home Improvement) because he had such a sour taste in his mouth from working with Roseanne.

I used to love this show too! I agree though it really went downhill when they won the lottery. WTF. Before that it was jut an awesome show. I never really like the original Becky until she was gone. Didn't care for the replacement at all. I just saw original Becky on an episode of Law & Order SVU while I watched a marathon yesterday. Remember when Roseanne and Tom had that restaurant in Iowa that was like the loose meat sandwich restaurant she had on the show? Did anyone ever go there? I was going to on my way home from a road trip but I never did go in. When I went by there were cars there and I didn't want to feel like an idiot fan going there just because of Tom and Roseanne.

Martin Mull is said to change the subject if you ask him about being on the show. (Just like Dave Thomas does when people ask him about Grace Under Fire.) The talented John Goodman seems to have stayed pretty low and quiet about the show.

I have a hunch a book about this show would be a huge best seller. Perhaps the clout that Roseanne had at one time has faded away where people would talk and tell their amazing stories of life behind the cameras during that show's run.

8. 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Mammy Guest
    I like Roseanne and enjoyed the show. The first time I ever heard of Roseanne was when she was a stand up comic and she was hilarious. It was before she was famous or had her show. One thing she said on stage that I have never forgot was that someone told her she wasn't very lady like. Roseanne said "I told him to suck my dick!" She was obviously not concerned with watching her mouth and was rather crude, but I laughed harder watching her stand up act than I ever have at anyone.

Her standup is hilarious! "Hey, Roseanne, do we got any cheetos left? Like he can't lift up that sofa cushion himself!"
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

slingshot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    Her standup is hilarious! "Hey, Roseanne, do we got any cheetos left? Like he can't lift up that sofa cushion himself!"
    lol, that brought back some memories. There was also one about she would start vacuuming when Hoover made a riding vacuum, or something like that. Its was a hoot!

Darn you guys now I want to go buy some ground beef and make some loose meat sandwiches.

I just finished up with my Roseanne marathon yesterday - ending with season 9. I skipped over a few of the episodes in that one (on the first disc) and watched the other episodes. A few of them weren't really bad. I admit I cried with the one when Darlene's baby was born and was at risk of dying.

After watching the last episode (which I haven't watched in a few years), it wasn't really all that bad, altho it just leaves you scratching your head and wondering WTF since I sat there and watched all the episodes from season to season (like I did for the last month during my "marathon"), and then she turned everything around - how in reality, Darlene was with Mark and Becky with David. How Jackie was the one in fact Gay - and not her mom. And how she changed things that had happened (in her story) to appease herself. I was just left a bit confused about it all - after watching them all!

But all in all, it's a great sitcom.

mstee2u1972 Guest
    I love Roseanne! I watch it all the time on TVLand. I really loved the show in its first few seasons and totally agree with the other posters who felt the show "jumped the shark" when they won the lottery. I didn't care for that season at all and the ending left me speechless when I first saw it. My favorite episode is when Roseanne & her friends quit Wellman Plastics--total Norma Rae moment!

doyleloyal Guest
    I just wish i had paid attention to the show when it was originally on instead of just enjoying the re-runs. it's kinda funny but i can name a couple of episodes that made me cry: when she flips out on DJ for stealing the car, when she read that letter to her dad, when david got hit by his mom and roseanne told him that he was stayin with her, darlene's baby, and the last episode...just a few, there's probably more. I gotta say the funniest most hysterical episode was when Jackie was on the phone with Auntie Barbra. that'll make milk come out your nose! It's kind of a shame they don't make sitcoms like that any more, roseanne was one of a kind. I'll bet the reason a "tell-all" hasn't been published is b/c of Roseanne herself. but if one ever came out, hold the phone, that's getting pre ordered like a year in advanced!

I'll be alone in this...but i liked becky#2 much better.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Still watch it in reruns.

Favorite scene is where they smoke that pot and Jackie ends up in the bathtub

Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post
    I just wish i had paid attention to the show when it was originally on instead of just enjoying the re-runs. it's kinda funny but i can name a couple of episodes that made me cry: when she flips out on DJ for stealing the car, when she read that letter to her dad, when david got hit by his mom and roseanne told him that he was stayin with her, darlene's baby, and the last episode...just a few, there's probably more. I gotta say the funniest most hysterical episode was when Jackie was on the phone with Auntie Barbra. that'll make milk come out your nose! ...
    omg the phone call to Auntie Barbara is one of the hardest laughs I have ever had!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zheeF5yPak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

doyleloyal Guest
    jackie was always at her best when she was a mess.

I loved their Halloween episodes! "The master!"

"I just go here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    omg the phone call to Auntie Barbara is one of the hardest laughs I have ever had!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zheeF5yPak

"I just go here!"

Roseanne Halloween clips!

"I just go here!"

22. 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Bbeelzebub Guest
    I love this show. I've seen every episode.

My friend was the basis for the Darlene character. It's based on her mom's stand up routine and around her own family life.

intothelight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post

Roseanne Halloween clips!
    I used to love this show. The Halloween episodes are the best!

pixiepereira Guest
    I was disappointed in the roast as well. I felt they could've focused more on the guest of honor. My favorite was Tom Arnold, tho.

I thought the roast was hilarious. Some of the barbs that they gave each other just made me go "wow" - I couldn't believe they would shoot that low! Jane Lynch was actually pretty funny too.

I'll probably get it on DVD if it ever gets released.

Vandalay Guest
    ..Hey As long you've got Jeff Ross, and Gilbert Gottfried, Any roast is gonna be pretty good...

Reading about "Roseanne" almost inspires a whole new thread; "Most dysfunctional TV casts"

jsnerch Guest
    This is a great article written by Roseanne and it explains why there were so many changes behind the scenes: http://nymag.com/arts/tv/upfronts/20...e-barr-2011-5/

mstee2u1972 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnerch View Post
    This is a great article written by Roseanne and it explains why there were so many changes behind the scenes: http://nymag.com/arts/tv/upfronts/20...e-barr-2011-5/
    I absolutely loved this article & still love Roseanne! Thanks for sharing! I love how she goes in on the powers-that-be in Hollywood. Unfortunately, it's obvious from the reality crap they put on tv these days a show like Roseanne will never be made again.

jsnerch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mstee2u1972 View Post
    I absolutely loved this article & still love Roseanne! Thanks for sharing! I love how she goes in on the powers-that-be in Hollywood. Unfortunately, it's obvious from the reality crap they put on tv these days a show like Roseanne will never be made again.
    It's unfortunate that most TV now sucks!

I grew up watching Roseanne. My mom tells me all the time, I was just like Darlene. The smart ass remarks, the emotional break down, the attitude, everything. Roseanne show was like a second family to me. I still watch re-runs of the show. Ive seen every episode at least 50 times each. Im sure its more. I also hated it during the 8th and 9th season, but I still had to watch the show, on channel 13, at 8 pm, on Wednesdays. Now when those re runs from those seasons come on, I change the channel. The last episode when Roseanne explains everything, I lost it. I could not believe Dan died when he had the heart attack. I still cry. That episode and the one with Darlene's baby. I love this show so much and is my most fav show of all time. I wish they would do a book. I watched the Behind The Scenes show they did on it, but it only gave info that most people already know.

stevesy Guest
    My friend once told me that i was the only person she knew who laughed at Roseanne. I always felt like Dan could have done so much better than Roseanne but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnerch View Post
    It's unfortunate that most TV now sucks!
    It's that stupid "gotta get that younger demo" thing. I was listening to the classic TV internet radio show "Stu's Show" last night and they were went off on this. Radio sucks too. Today on the way to the store I had tuned into our local oldies station expecting to hear Elvis since today is the 35th anniversary of his death. Nope didn't hear Elvis but I did hear Starship's "We Built this City" followed by MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This".

I loved that show until they brought Tom Arnold on board.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I used to love this show too! I agree though it really went downhill when they won the lottery. WTF. Before that it was jut an awesome show. I never really like the original Becky until she was gone. Didn't care for the replacement at all. I just saw original Becky on an episode of Law & Order SVU while I watched a marathon yesterday. Remember when Roseanne and Tom had that restaurant in Iowa that was like the loose meat sandwich restaurant she had on the show? Did anyone ever go there? I was going to on my way home from a road trip but I never did go in. When I went by there were cars there and I didn't want to feel like an idiot fan going there just because of Tom and Roseanne.
    Wait, they had a loose meat restaurant? I hadn't been to Iowa until 2006 and I haven't been to much of Iowa. I figured the loose meat was based on the Maid-Rite chain (I don't care for Maid-Rite much, the buns tasted cheap and they skimp on the meat but I like the loose meat cheese fries).

Tom was horrible in the show. You could tell he was tweaking most the time.

I had never heard of loose meat till the show, and I always wanted to go to the restaurant. Isnt' it closed down now?

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    It's that stupid "gotta get that younger demo" thing. I was listening to the classic TV internet radio show "Stu's Show" last night and they were went off on this. Radio sucks too. Today on the way to the store I had tuned into our local oldies station expecting to hear Elvis since today is the 35th anniversary of his death. Nope didn't hear Elvis but I did hear Starship's "We Built this City" followed by MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This".
    It's reasons such as these that I download music to my music player and watch a lot of YouTube videos nowadays.

The one that got is is Darlene's baby wasn't there an episode about Dan Dying? or did I just read they were going to do that..but decided not too.. I didn't want the last episode when they did the lottery thing I just stopped watching it.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 08-16-2012 at 05:41 PM.

*** SPOILER AHEAD if you havent watched Roseanne, do not read on

In the last episode, Roseanne Conner explains it all. They never won the lottery. When Dan had the heart attack at Darlene and David's wedding, Dan actually died. Wayyy back in I think the 2nd season, for Roseanne's birthday, Dan cleaned out the basement for Roseanne to write. She started writing about her life. So everything that happened in the show, was actually her writing this book or whatever. So... Dan really dies at Darlenes wedding. Darlene was actually with Mark, Becky was with David. Jackie was gay. The stuff about the lottery and after that was her imagination after Dan dieing. She was so upset, she imagined these things happening. Bailing the factory out, taking on terrorists, and that stupid stuff.

I absolutely love this show. The early seasons were my favorite. As far as I'm concerned, Season 9 never happened. Terrible episodes and terrible ending.

I'll watch the other seasons 'til the day I die.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

I have never been the loser in Roseanne trivia, bring it!!!

I had to look it up. Roseanne and Tom's in Eldon, IA closed in 1995. I'd never heard of loose meat either until the show. Okay... much as I'm not real wild about loose meat, I'm tempted to drive a 60-mile round trip to get some loose meat cheese fries. Thanks, FAD Forums!!

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Mammy Guest
    Is she Rosie O'Donnell's long lost sister? They are both their own worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Or drunk as hell like she says at the end. Either way, idiotic to do that. She wouldn't be out of the trailer park if someone in Hollywood hadn't given her a shot. There's a possibility she had to do some things she's not proud of to get there. But that's still so not how you do that when you're a public figure. The smart ones see a therapist instead of posting drunken (or pretending to be drunk as an excuse) rants.

Mammy Guest
    Her career has been in the shitter for years. I guess she thought she had nothing to lose by speaking her mind, drunk or not. I've always liked her from the time she was a stand up comic on through the Roseanne show, but she's always had diarrhea of the mouth.

Wicked sense of humour.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I follow her on vine too. Her videos are the most bizarre.

I was a big big fan of the show and never missed it. It did start to suck around the time they won the lottery and I hated the ending. The phone call to Auntie Barbara when her dad died is one of the funniest moments of that show. There are a lot of them in the first few seasons but that one is one of the best. It was a great, funny show up until season 8. I didn't care for 8 and 9 much at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Roseanne needs to just go off and spend her money quietly. I know she's out-spoken and all, but Twitter feeds like that is why Hollywood isn't banging on her door for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I was a big big fan of the show and never missed it. It did start to suck around the time they won the lottery and I hated the ending. The phone call to Auntie Barbara when her dad died is one of the funniest moments of that show. There are a lot of them in the first few seasons but that one is one of the best. It was a great, funny show up until season 8. I didn't care for 8 and 9 much at all.
    I quit watching after they replaced the eldest daughter, although the episode where they acknowledged that was funny. Later I read about the lottery thing and thought oh, it's jump the shark time.

Does anyone remember Roseanne's talk show from the late 90's ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGTzwXJmik

or when Roseanne tried her hand at doing talk radio....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNNRlVLiLUo

The talk show, yeah. Never heard of the radio show though.