Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roseanne - the TV show

Bidmor Guest
    Well, here's Roseanne on MK Ultra and Hollywood:

She's aged well. The gray hair looks good on her.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

UniPolarMommaBear Guest
    I love her to pieces, and crowed for 3 days to all and sundry when she retweeted something I said, but honey, we'd ALL age well if we had surgery like she did/ I love her, her comedy, her attitude, - hell my mother told me I was Jackie, Roseanne, Becky, Darlene, and The sweet neighbour kid Charlotte all rolled into one - read: HOT MESS- but let's call a spade a spade. She aged well through the program of cosmetic surgery and pharmacology. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    The talk show, yeah. Never heard of the radio show though.
    A little less than ten years ago when the old Air America radio network hired Jerry Springer ( yes that Jerry LOL ) at the time there was a big rumor within the broadcast trades that Air America was looking at hiring Roseanne to do a liberal talk show. Guess Air America thought that Roseanne could be the next Randi Rhodes. Don't remember why Air America in the end didn't hire Roseanne full time but I do remember her guest hosting on a show or two back then. She actually wasn't that bad. Had no idea Jerry Springer's show on the radio had lasted for almost two years.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/...springer_x.htm

Maybe it's because of shit like this:

(Dish Nation reporting: )

"Roseanne Barr attacked Oprah on Twitter! A fan suggested the comedienne should have a show on OWN and Roseanne responded, "she is NOT a good person to work for. seriously narcissistic, absent. She hangs out with retards all day who kiss her fat ass!"

Where did her mental filters and manners go and what is she expecting to accomplish with this behavior? is what I thought when I saw that.

I seem to remember her having them at the beginning of her TV career. But that may be because we didn't know her on-set rep until a few seasons in. People being fired by her right and left and talking about how they were treated. At the time it was a big deal and people were finding it hard to believe. I think that's because she played such an affable character that people found it hard to believe the person playing her acted like that. But all of this Twitter action is pretty much verifying what they said, IMO.

as much of a lib-tard Roseanne is I do somewhat like her. If she becomes anymore of a hippy liberal I won't like her; And the show was great in the beginning- nothing political about it, just a simple 80's show, a married couple raising 3 young kids and trying to make ends meet. That was the general story-line. Somewhere during the 9 seasons, the writers &/or producers changed & the story-lines became more politically-correct. The woman who played 'Darlene' was coming out, they had her dressing in black & rebel, not eating meat; I'm sure most of her real life lesbo, liberal drama was played into. Politics just have to fuck up everything they can. I loved Glen Quinn. I absolutely couldn't stand Lecy - if anyone saw how rude & snobby she was just a few years ago to Larry King when they were his guests..... I'm so glad shes not doing anything & if she is please I don't want to know about it.
    Last edited by Tiffany; 12-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That was funny

Really loved the show. Hated how it ended. I miss good shows like this.

I think I am the only one on the planet who was delighted when Roseanne's character won the lottery. I really loved that a blue collar family was able to step into wealth. Too often I'd see (and still do!) financial windfalls happen to those who didn't need it. The writing may have been crap, the show may have jumped the shark with the lottery win, and it may have been completely unrealistic to imagine, but I loved the idea. I hated that it turned out to be a dream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jackie should have been wearing a helmet and water wings that last season.

I did like most of the later years, although the show & Roseanne probably thought it would be a good idea to become white trash. I do give Roseanne props for being topless in that lottery episode when Jackie comes over to Roseanne's house to let her know & she comes out in pants & a bra.... The later years, the show did change drastically but it was still quite funny in a very dysfunctional way. I'm just saying you can most certainly tell a difference from season 1 & 2 to 8 & 9. Even Michael Fishman was not the original 'D.J.'

I prefer Sarah Chalke !!
    Last edited by Tiffany; 12-03-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, Sal Barone and Sara didn't get along. Michael Fishman resembled Roseanne a lot so that helped. He was a horrible actor once he got older though. I don't think the Connor's were white trash, i've seen white trash, and that's not it. Blue collar, upper lower/middle class, but not white trash. I don't pay any attention to Roseanne as a person anymore, she's lost her damn mind, but she's harmless.

LOVE these interviews--- Laurie- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6bPNGTX098
    Lecy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOnax5Kuul4
    John- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O0ruEqBDW4
    Roseanne- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ke_XoQne5s
    Michael- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w7jmwrfQRw
    Bloopers- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4JAxuS4pEc

Anyone remember the short lived cartoon??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huBplSolO28
    Last edited by RiotBoots; 12-03-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Added links

There are a lot of favorite later years episodes such as

PS I know I am nitpicking here but 'Jackie' is pregnant (& I am pretty sure Laurie was really pregnant in real life) & smoking weed here.... So it must have been the next episode/s that Jackie came out and told Roseanne.....
    Last edited by Tiffany; 12-03-2013 at 07:28 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes Laurie is pregnant. I'm one of the very few who finds that scene totally overrated. They smoked pot, they weren't on LSD.

& then this one

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

16. 12-03-2013, 07:29 AM

Oh no, sorry. That's not really directed at you. I'm a huge fan of the show and have had many discussions about the infamous pot episode.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Oh no, sorry. That's not really directed at you. I'm a huge fan of the show and have had many discussions about the infamous pot episode.

ohhh lol ok....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I do like when Jackie comes into the living room and they are rolling on the table mom gave them, and "they're doing it all wrong!"

I do like when Jackie comes into the living room and they are rolling on the table mom gave them, and "they're doing it all wrong!"
    yes thats prob the funniest part. And I think its interesting, at least when I last saw, the father of Laurie's baby/husband, is Fisher - the abusive man from the earlier seasons
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, I was sorry to hear they filed for divorce. I also found it wild that Fred was married to Bonnie Rait!! in real life while he was on the show.

Yeah, I was sorry to hear they filed for divorce. I also found it wild that Fred was married to Bonnie Rait!! in real life while he was on the show.
    And the actor who played Fred... I could have sworn was the young good looking man in 'Caddyshack' .... (??) It bothers me when I watch those episodes because it looks just like him but can't tell. Its not on IMDB
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yup that's him. Michael O'Keefe, and he's almost 60 years old now.

Favorite episodes:
    The episode where Roseanne and Jackies dad dies...super tear jerker ("He's fine he sends his love!!")

The one where they find the pot and smoke it ("Am I in the sink, am I shrinking??")

The one when they find out Jackie' s bf is beating her up, and Dan goes over and kicks his ass

I love most episodes though, especially Jackie or Dan centered plots. I still think Dan is the best and most realistic husband ever portrayed on tv. Hell, as a whole that show was pretty spot on (minus the lottery bs)..it was the closest thing I ever saw to my family on tv.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

I think the appeal of the show was that a lot of people could relate.

It appealed to us folks in fly over country.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

i think in it's time most people COULD relate, which made this show so popular. Hard to rag on Roseanne, she fought the good fight while she was at the height of her popularity, and wasn't afraid to stand up to the studio heads. Regardless of her up-bringing or short-comings, she helped pioneer a show that was watched and loved by millions. I would say that THAT is quite a feat, in light of today's entertainment offerings. She may have had her demons and misjudgements, all of us have those! All's I can say is that she entertained a lot of people at a time that it was acceptable, which is more than I ever accomplished! I'm glad for what she provided, it was an enjoyable show...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Roseanne the TV show benefited a lot from the recession of the late 1980's and early 1990's. Millions were struggling and so did the Conners and as a result the show became a hit early on.

I agree. Typical blue collar family just trying to live, survive, and make ends meet.

Reboot debuted to monster ratings, nothing can stop this runaway hit.

Oh look, Roseanne just posted to Twitter.... Nevermind.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/roseanne...ts-1202399123/
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's all over facebook and twitter. Kudos to Disney.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

there are like 4 networks so far pulling the old roseanne reruns. man, i bet her cast mates are pissed!

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    there are like 4 networks so far pulling the old roseanne reruns. man, i bet her cast mates are pissed!
    I was thinking the same thing. It just amazes me that some people in this day and time think they are so MIGHTY they can say any dang thing they want too without consequence.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Way to go Roseanne......shaking head.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. It just amazes me that some people in this day and time think they are so MIGHTY they can say any dang thing they want too without consequence.
    It's like "they can say it and I can too " sort of thing. They don't believe it can happen to them !! Denver's KOA thinks Roseanne was either drunk or high when she did that tweet since a lot of her old tweets disappeared soon after they went online by Roseanne.

Well, other celebrities have tweeted and posted pretty awful things and didn't lose their jobs. (And don't even get me started with you-know-who, Roseanne's apparent hero these days.) I don't like Roseanne, never did, though at least when the story first started decades ago, it was somewhat relatable to me.
    Still, if a respectable quantity of viewers enjoys the "Next Generation" and all those people (the production crew as well as the actors) have jobs, I for one am tired of the current trend of tossing both bathwater AND baby AND bath tub out due to an individual's stupidity/ insensitivity/ grossness/ jerkitude/ whatever. Unless it's an actual CRIME!
    Which, undoubtedly nasty as this was, is still covered by the first amendment-- you know, the one all those poor soldiers we've saluted this weekend with piles of grilled unhealthy food and beer, allegedly died to protect (sort of.)
    Maybe they need to send Roseanne to Starbucks's "unconscious bias" sensitivity classes...
    If this program was so successful, perhaps a cable network might have a go with it rather than network, and they can really let it all hang out, so to speak.
    To me, Roseanne's like a fly one keeps swatting at and spraying at, yet still gets up after a moment's stun, flaps its wings and takes off again, to annoy one over and again.

Poor Michael Fishman! His last big job in Hollywood was, well, Roseanne 1.0. LOL

She probably thought she could get away with talking shit like that because Bonespur does. A lot easier to cancel a show than to impeach a President.

I saw where Mark Hamill was predicting it will get picked up by Fox and paired with Tim Allen's show.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Well damn, Hulu pulled the old seasons and I was in the middle of rewatching them. Thanks, Roseanne. It's always been one of my favorite shows and I was happy for the reboot but I was never a big fan of Roseanne herself. She should have known better than to tweet something like that but she said it was Ambien fueled. She is mentally ill and probably not properly medicated. She's always had a big mouth not that it excuses her from what she said. The whole situation is terrible because a lot of people lost their jobs due to her big mouth. I'm disappointed there won't be another season of that show. I'm disappointed that a great show from the past is now tainted and no network is going to show it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Roseanne needs to just go off and spend her money quietly. I know she's out-spoken and all, but Twitter feeds like that is why Hollywood isn't banging on her door for anything.
    I bet Roseanne wished she had taken your advice
    back in 2013.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

The makers of Ambien have responded to Roseanne's suggestion that the drug might have contributed to her Tweet:

"Racism is not a known side effect..."
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/ambien-ma...152659255.html
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    The makers of Ambien have responded to Roseanne's suggestion that the drug might have contributed to her Tweet:

"Racism is not a known side effect..."
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/ambien-ma...152659255.html
    Yeah, blame every body else.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I think she may be planning to run for office.
    That would explain her acting all Presidential and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Well damn, Hulu pulled the old seasons and I was in the middle of rewatching them. Thanks, Roseanne. It's always been one of my favorite shows and I was happy for the reboot but I was never a big fan of Roseanne herself. She should have known better than to tweet something like that but she said it was Ambien fueled. She is mentally ill and probably not properly medicated. She's always had a big mouth not that it excuses her from what she said. The whole situation is terrible because a lot of people lost their jobs due to her big mouth. I'm disappointed there won't be another season of that show. I'm disappointed that a great show from the past is now tainted and no network is going to show it.
    And Target and Best Buy aren't selling the Roseanne DVD's either. Too me that is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    And Target and Best Buy aren't selling the Roseanne DVD's either. Too me that is a bit much.
    Yeah I agree. I did see that Amazon Prime is showing the old seasons of Roseanne.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Poor little Roseanne. Slap her wrist and poke more money in her racist pocket. Somebody ought to run her out of Hollywood and ban her merchandise.
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-01-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Poor Michael Fishman! His last big job in Hollywood was, well, Roseanne 1.0. LOL

She probably thought she could get away with talking shit like that because Bonespur does. A lot easier to cancel a show than to impeach a President.

I saw where Mark Hamill was predicting it will get picked up by Fox and paired with Tim Allen's show.
    True, Tim Allen is the next right wing racist that will
    say something awful...just a matter of time.(they all do)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

cyberslammer Guest
    Meanwhile no talent ass clown Samantha Bee gets a pass for calling Ivanka a feckless c*nt on air and backed by her network for saying it.

There is a big difference in calling someone a cunt than an ape.

BTW the president used the word “cunt” to describe at least three women since the 1980s—including a journalist, a former acting attorney general, and a woman who has accused Trump of groping her aboard an airplane. But, hey, that's okay with Trumpsters, and the liberals should just keep their mouths shut. Nope.
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-02-2018 at 08:05 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    There is a big difference in calling someone a cunt than an ape.

BTW the president used the word “cunt” to describe at least three women since the 1980s—including a journalist, a former acting attorney general, and a woman who has accused Trump of groping her aboard an airplane. But, hey, that's okay with Trumpsters, and the liberals should just keep their mouths shut. Nope.
    :gives you a standing ovation and clapping, Hell Yeah.

50. 06-02-2018, 12:46 PM
    Reason
    dupe

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    :gives you a standing ovation and clapping, Hell Yeah.
    Just stating the facts, ma'am. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...22885688987650

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...-hes-a-pervert
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Great - now I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to incorporate "cunt" and "ape" into polite conversation.
    I just got, "Move away, you feckless fucker" figured out, I thought maybe I could take a break from working on my conversational skills for a day or two, but you guys just won't let me.

Frequenting FAD continues to enrich my vocabulary.
    It's like "asshat", and "as you do"; all over again.