Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: George Harrison

STRAIGHT Guest
    I liked Harrison. He became a much better guitar player towards the end of the 1960's thanks to his best friend Eric Clapton. Clapton made him a very good guitar player. He wasn't much around 1964 or 1965 but after 1967 he made tremendous strides thanks to Clapton.

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STRAIGHT View Post
    I liked Harrison. He became a much better guitar player towards the end of the 1960's thanks to his best friend Eric Clapton. Clapton made him a very good guitar player. He wasn't much around 1964 or 1965 but after 1967 he made tremendous strides thanks to Clapton.
    George played that cool 12 string Richenbacher. Totally awesome sound for 1964. Notice the capo in this picture. Jingle Jangle sound! Roger McGuinn kinda coppied that sound and as a matter of fact, I think Roger used a Richenbacher too. George had a unique style. Favorite album, Living In A Material World. Favorite song, Beware Of Darkness. My favorite Beatle. More insightful than John and not a sell out like Paul. And Ringo is just simply the definition of cool.

dang he could have played Christ.
    pull the string!

Mach2 Guest
    I read Patti Boyd's autobio recently and was disappointed in it particularly in her lack of effort in detailing what she knew about Brian Eptein. She came off as shallow.

STRAIGHT Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
    George played that cool 12 string Richenbacher. Totally awesome sound for 1964. Notice the capo in this picture. Jingle Jangle sound! Roger McGuinn kinda coppied that sound and as a matter of fact, I think Roger used a Richenbacher too. George had a unique style. Favorite album, Living In A Material World. Favorite song, Beware Of Darkness. My favorite Beatle. More insightful than John and not a sell out like Paul. And Ringo is just simply the definition of cool.

I don't ever remember George playing a 12 stringer but I may be wrong. As far as his best album I'd have to go with "All things must pass" which is in my opinion the best solo Beatles album.

TheLazenby Guest
    I'm actually in the midst of putting together a compilation called "Harrisongs", just to have all his Beatles songs in one place. :-)

Chunga Guest
    I don't ever remember George playing a 12 stringer but I may be wrong. As far as his best album I'd have to go with "All things must pass" which is in my opinion the best solo Beatles album.
    The very picture I posted shows him playing a 12 string.?!

This from Wiki...
    During The Beatles' first trip to the U.S., in February 1964, Harrison received a new "360/12" model guitar from the Rickenbacker company; this was a 12-string electric but its unusual headstock design meant it looked at first glance like a 6-string. He began using the 360 extensively in the studio soon after. Roger McGuinn liked the effect Harrison achieved so much that it became his signature guitar sound with the Byrds.

Because of the unique design of the tuning head, it looks like a six string. But the sound is unmistakably 12 string. I had an Epiphone 12 string for a long time and it is the only way to get the sound George had. All you have to do is listen to the beginning of "Ticket To Ride" and you will hear it immediately!

NOTICE...

Last edited by Chunga; 06-07-2008 at 11:17 AM.

8. 06-07-2008, 04:54 AM

Chunga Guest
    An Historical Date
    (George Harrison´s first 360/12)
    February 8th, 1964 was a day when Rickenbacker (read Francis C.Hall) really made a very powerful contribution to the sound of the sixties.That day Mr. Hall invited The Beatles (John, Paul and Ringo) to his hotel suite at the Savoy Hilton Hotel in NYC.There he showed them his newest "invention", the electric twelve-string.George Harrison, who was back at the Plaza Hotel, had the flu and stayed in bed.The other boys wanted to give him a chance to try out this new guitar, so off they went to his hotel.George, who was giving a telephone interview for the radio station WDGY in Minneapolis, tried out this new guitar.When he told the DJ about the guitar the radio station offered him the instrument as a gift.But Francis C. Hall had already decided to give away this instrument, and so he did. George Harrison appeared to be rather confused about the party from whom he received the gift.A further elaboration of this situation is discussed later in the article. By introducing the Rickenbacker twelve string guitar Francis C. Hall added a dimension to the sound of the sixties that was adopted by a countless number of groups all over the world. This brilliant business idea from Mr. Hall increased the popularity of his guitars enormously. Both the Rickenbacker company and the many musicians were to benefit from the introduction of the first electric 12 string guitar.
    George Harrison´s first 360/12 was the second Rickenbacker twelve string ever made. The prototype had somewhat different features. The most significant difference between the two is the manner in which they are strung. The first twelve string manufactured had a conventional twelve string setup. On George´s guitar, the octave counterparts to the four lower strings, were reversed with the octave strings occurring second in the string pairs. It was the first Rickenbacker strung in this manner. This is why Mr. F.C Hall often refers to it the first H E R E!
    While Harrison's 12 string was the second one made, nonetheless, it had the distinction of being a prototype for all subsequent instruments as far as the manner in which they would be strung.George Harrison´s guitar had a crescent soundhole, triangle inlays, trapeze tailpiece, double white pickguards and black control knobs. The color is FireGlo. This model is available in a reissue version, the model 360/12V64.

The brilliant headstock solution (360/12V64) ©1999 Björn Eriksson
    He still uses his first twelve string. You can hear it in the song "Fish On The Sand" from the album "Cloud Nine" ( 1987).George Harrison says: " - The guitar is really good. I love the sound of it and the brilliant way where the machine heads fit so that even when you´re drunk you can still know what string you´re tuning."
    Below is the story told by George Harrison, in his own words, from a radio interview in 1988:
    - First one I ever saw was when Beatles were in Hamburg on their first trip and we went into the shop Steinway´s in Hamburg and I bought a Gibson amplifier and John bought that little Rickenbacker that, you know, became very well known through the Beatle concerts. There was this scaled neck. I think he´d just seen an album by a guy, Jean Thielemans, who used to be guitar player with "The George Shearing Quintet", and he had one of those Rickenbackers.
    Later when we went to America, I think for the Ed Sullivan Show in February of 1964, there was a show Rickenbacker had in this hotel suite, but I was sick at the time, I never made it, but I thought Rickenbacker had personally given me this guitar which was the twelve string I used right through Hard Day´s Night, Ticket To Ride and all those songs.I actually use it on my new album, Cloud Nine, it´s on a song called "Fish On The Sand". So that´s it, but that Rickenbacker is the number two, apparently it´s the second one made, and I found out that it was actually a radio station bought it from Rickenbacker and presented it to me.
    Well, you have to imagine in those days as we were first out of Liverpool any good American guitar looked sensational to us, and we only had old beat-up, crummy guitars at that stage, and we still really didn´t have any money to buy´em but I remember we bought, like John got that Rickenbacker and I got this amplifier and we got them on, what they call, on "a knocker", you know, pound down, the rest when they catch you, and...we... I don´t know if we ever really paid them off, but...
    It was a great looking guitar and I think in England you had to order them specifically and wait from six months, you know not just for Rickenbackers, for anything, Fenders and Gibsons, and I think it was purely that John needed a decent guitar and that one just happened to be in the shop, and that he liked the look of it.
    That was 1964 when I got that guitar in the Plaza Hotel in New York, we were there to do the Ed Sullivan shows, and straight away I liked the guitar because you knew exactly which string was which.Some of them twelve strings, you know, you spend hours trying to tune in, you´re turning the wrong knobs, so many of them. So I started using it then and in the next session after the initial Beatle trip to the USA. It was probably Hard Day´s Night, it´s right there on the opening downbeat of Hard Day´s Night, that chord, and I used it right through "I should Have Known Better", right through lot of the songs in Hard Day´s Night, and I think the last Beatle song was, that I recall playing on was, the Rickenbacker twelve string, was "Ticket To Ride".
    The strange thing about the guitar, really, I don´t think the electronics in it is very good. I don´t know if they have improved it, they probably have by now, but they have like a whole bunch of controls on it, I think four knobs and a little tiny knob, and I never.., it never seem to do anything. All it ever seemed to be there was one sound I could get where it was bright, which is the sound I use, and there was another tone where it just all went muffely, which I never used, but it really didn´t seem to do anything other than this bright sound, but that is the sound that you hear on Ticket To Ride and all those others we mentioned.
    The twelve string was pretty easy really as long as it was in tune, you know, you always had that problem with twelve string getting it really in tune. But, as I said, the neck on it was very easy. In fact, having not played it for years and I just played it again recently, I was surprised the neck is actually so narrow that you have to be very careful when you´re clamping the strings down there because, you know, the first and sixth strings can slip off the side of the neck if you press´em on an angle. But it´s pretty good from what I remember. I used to play it in concerts for years and it never gave me any trouble.
    Yeah, well I´m pleased to say I still got that guitar, it´s a great classic guitar now I think. I got it hanging on a wall at home and as I said I use it on "Fish On The Sand" which a few people have said, oh ,it reminds them of some Beatle tune, I don´t know, but that´s purely because the sound of it, that sound you just associate with those early sixties´ Beatle records. The twelve string Rickenbacker sound is a sound on its own. "
    A close look in Lewisohn´s book "The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions" reveal that the first song recorded in 1964 with the twelve string guitar was "I should Have known Better". The recording dates are February 25 (take 1-3) and February 26 (take 4-22). The next song recorded with the twelve string was "I Call Your Name" on March 1. The twelve string pattern on this song really introduces the "new" sound, giving the song a very special touch.The song that maybe is most connected with the twelve string, "A Hard Day´s Night" ,was recorded on April 16 (1964).

Left: The second Rickenbacker 360/12 ever made. George Harrison received this guitar on February 8 1964 as a gift from Francis C. Hall at Rickenbacker. Right: John Lennon´s one-of-a-kind 325/12. Shipped to London by the Rickenbacker company in March 1964. © 1999 by Rickenbacker Int'l Corp. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
    Last edited by Chunga; 06-07-2008 at 04:59 AM.

Mach2 Guest
    Neat stuff on the Rickenbacker. Especially how Harrison talks about how difficult the 12 strings are to tune. George Martin said Harrison had an excellent ear for half notes. Perhaps Martin was referring to Harrison's ability to tune the dreaded 12 string monster?

I bought a 12 string once. After 2 hours trying to tune it I took it back to where I bought it. LOL!

In the movie "A Hard Days Night" there are some great shots of the Rickenbacker twins. That movie also cemented the Beatles with the teeny bopper screaming thing that they grew to hate and led to an end to live shows just two years later. That's the reason there isn't a lot of live recordings because screaming ruins the music.
    Last edited by Mach2; 06-08-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Mach2 Guest
    Odd that the Beatles would use two of the same style guitars in a single song. Granted the Rickenbacker twins were a 6 string/12 string combo. The Stones would always go Gibson/Fender but never Gibson/Gibson or Fender/Fender. Funny what you notice. Am I rambling?

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    Odd that the Beatles would use two of the same style guitars in a single song. Granted the Rickenbacker twins were a 6 string/12 string combo. The Stones would always go Gibson/Fender but never Gibson/Gibson or Fender/Fender. Funny what you notice. Am I rambling?
    Not at all. And for that matter, Paul played the Rickenbacker bass! In the later days, (Sgt. Pepper through Wings) he played the Model 4001S Rickenbacker bass seen here ...

As well as the custom Hofner we all associate him with....

Last edited by Chunga; 06-09-2008 at 06:52 PM.

rickenbacker Guest
    Nice job on the history lesson guys! As you can tell from my name, that's a subject near and dear to my heart.

George actually bought his first Rickenbacker in, of all places, Mt. Vernon Illinois! It's about a two-hour drive from me. George was staying with his sister in '63, in Benton, Illinois. Nobody had a clue who the Beatles were. George bought a Ricky 425 that was originally red sunburst (Fireglo is the Rickenbacker term). Before he left, George had the guitar refinished in black, to match John's famous 325 (which was originally blonde, or Mapleglo). Here's a link to the full story. My Ricky is a 450. Same guitar as George's, but with two pickups instead of one. I about peed my pants the first time I saw this story!!

http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/youwontseeme.html

John was always number one for me, but George was a VERY close second.

Mach2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    Nice job on the history lesson guys! As you can tell from my name, that's a subject near and dear to my heart.

George actually bought his first Rickenbacker in, of all places, Mt. Vernon Illinois! It's about a two-hour drive from me. George was staying with his sister in '63, in Benton, Illinois. Nobody had a clue who the Beatles were. George bought a Ricky 425 that was originally red sunburst (Fireglo is the Rickenbacker term). Before he left, George had the guitar refinished in black, to match John's famous 325 (which was originally blonde, or Mapleglo). Here's a link to the full story. My Ricky is a 450. Same guitar as George's, but with two pickups instead of one. I about peed my pants the first time I saw this story!!

http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/youwontseeme.html
    Stuart's money bought the Hoffner bass that Paul is now synonymous with. Did Stuart choose the Hofner? I can't see Stuart as having the musical acumen to pick out such afine instrument.
    Last edited by Mach2; 06-11-2008 at 08:29 PM.

rickenbacker Guest
    If my memory serves me right, Stuart played a 500/5 model Hofner. While Paul may have started out with it, he purchased the 500/1 (the violin shape) because it was inexpensive, and it looked cool! Also, because flipping it for a lefty wouldn't look goofy.

Okay, found a pic since I started writing all this. Here you go. Stuart has the big Hofner 500/5, John's 325 hasn't been refinished yet. George's axe is a Czech-made "thing" called a Futurama. Paul's guitar is also a Hofner, don't recall the model, but obviously a fairly inexpensive solid-body.

I could do this for hours! Fun!

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    If my memory serves me right, Stuart played a 500/5 model Hofner. While Paul may have started out with it, he purchased the 500/1 (the violin shape) because it was inexpensive, and it looked cool! Also, because flipping it for a lefty wouldn't look goofy.

Okay, found a pic since I started writing all this. Here you go. Stuart has the big Hofner 500/5, John's 325 hasn't been refinished yet. George's axe is a Czech-made "thing" called a Futurama. Paul's guitar is also a Hofner, don't recall the model, but obviously a fairly inexpensive solid-body.

I could do this for hours! Fun!

Amazing. The sound had to be horrible! Could you imagine rocking out in some smelly German club to barely audible, most likely out of tune rock and roll? AWESOME. And George was just 17 years old in this picture. He got kicked out of Germany! How hard is that to do?

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

rickenbacker Guest
    Amazing. The sound had to be horrible! Could you imagine rocking out in some smelly German club to barely audible, most likely out of tune rock and roll? AWESOME. And George was just 17 years old in this picture. He got kicked out of Germany! How hard is that to do?
    I would love to have been there! THAT'S rock and roll! And to think of all the places to get kicked out of, HAMBURG Germany!

Captain Kundalini Guest
    The thing I hated about George was he was all "Hare Krishna" and "OM" and Meditation and Maha and all this stuff and then he woudl go out, find a female fan and ask her point blank to go upstairs with him and give him a blow job. He was married to Olivia at the time. George was a jerk, plain and simple.

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kundalini View Post
    The thing I hated about George was he was all "Hare Krishna" and "OM" and Meditation and Maha and all this stuff and then he woudl go out, find a female fan and ask her point blank to go upstairs with him and give him a blow job. He was married to Olivia at the time. George was a jerk, plain and simple.
    Well good on ya there pal. Does sex have anything to do with religious beliefs? And I know you were there to witness all of this. He was a freekin rock star. That's what they do. I doubt Olivia didn't know it and how do you know she didn't care? Sheez. What a terrible guy. Look. Here is a picture of Jesus laughing. Know why he's laughing? Cause he was all "my father this" and "My father that." He loved a whore. What is your point?

24. 06-14-2008, 10:01 PM

TheLazenby Guest
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure George didn't actually do that. Don't believe tell-all books, because they don't really "tell all".

Anyway, I thought I'd add to that Sergeant Pilcher story way up there - Pilcher was later busted for planting drugs on rock stars' properties because he basically wanted to become known as "the guy who busted all the rock stars". George talks about him in "The Beatles Anthology" video; when George was told that his house was being raided, he said all he had was a little bit of pot in a box on his mantlepiece, but by that time, Pilcher had already mysteriously found a TON of pot "hidden" in a boot.

Something in my mind keeps telling me that Pilcher had something to do with the famous Rolling Stones/Marianne Faithfull bust, but I don't believe that was true, as it was a couple years before all the others. I just thought maybe I'd read that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    In late 1999 Harrison survived a knife attack by an intruder in his home. On the evening of 30 December 1999, Michael Abram broke into the Harrisons' Friar Park home in Henley-on-Thames and stabbed George multiple times, ultimately puncturing his lung. Harrison and his wife, Olivia, fought the intruder and detained him for the police. 35-year-old Abram, who believed he was possessed by Harrison and was on a "mission from God" to kill him, was later acquitted on grounds of insanity. Harrison was traumatized by the invasion and attack and was rarely seen in public afterward.

This bloody nutter lived about a mile away from where live. He had mental health problems (obviously). Like George he came from Liverpool. If my memory serves me right, he was released from a secure hospital in the last couple of years.

On a lighter note, Paul McCartney had a big concert in Liverpool last week. The concert was attended by the Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison - who both appeared to enjoy themselves.

Guest Guest
    god... he had beautiful hair

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    On a lighter note, Paul McCartney had a big concert in Liverpool last week. The concert was attended by the Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison - who both appeared to enjoy themselves.
    And for the first time ever, a member of The Beatles played "A Day In The Life" live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMCeN6ZA3V4

Guest Guest
    what was the name of that popular song George came out with by himself a long time ago?

Chunga Guest
    "When We Was Fab" ? Or are you thinking of "Got My Mind Set On You" ? I love Fab!

Watch here! http://youtube.com/watch?v=mryCTNdSfn4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-_niy2ZM5Jo

Last edited by Chunga; 06-18-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit View Post
    what was the name of that popular song George came out with by himself a long time ago?
    My Sweet Lord?

Chunga Guest
    Also had hits with The Traveling Willburys

GrinReaper Guest
    Favorite Beatle: George Harrison.
    Favorite Beatle solo: John Lennon.

And now both are gone.
    Yeah. That's kinda my musical taste. Most of the musicians/bands in my record collection are either dead or broken up.
    At least they made great music before their ends came.

Cupcake Guest
    I am a HUGE fan of The Beatles. My oldest son, 13, loves them just as much as I do. He soaks in all the info he can on them, knows all their songs and takes guitar lessons mainly due to their influence. Whats really cool is that his guitar teacher is teaching him every song that he wants to learn by The Beatles. It just warms my heart and soul.....

Cupcake

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit View Post
    Are you perhaps referring to "Got My Mind Set On You"?? This song was on the album "Cloud Nine" and was released in 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLazenby View Post
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure George didn't actually do that. Don't believe tell-all books, because they don't really "tell all".
    Just curious, how are you "fairly sure" George didn't go to parties and ask girls to blow him? Unless you were there, that's an unreliable statement. I actually read that book, and I can't remember the girl's name who claimed she blew him (and he probably didn't either), but I remember being SO disappointed that he was even in those pages, not to mention the first one in her account. However, he is and always will be my favorite Beatle, despite what he may or may not have done in his private life. Like someone said before, getting blown by groupies and/or Hollywood hookers is (allegedly) a normal part of some rock stars' (and some movie stars') lives. Regardless of the sordid part(s) of his life, he was a generous, spiritual person who did great things, not-so-great things, and was basically a human being, like the rest of us.

The girl claimed he was playing a ukelele during her "job." I choose to believe that. Two things he loved at the same time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    Just curious, how are you "fairly sure" George didn't go to parties and ask girls to blow him? Unless you were there, that's an unreliable statement. I actually read that book, and I can't remember the girl's name who claimed she blew him (and he probably didn't either), but I remember being SO disappointed that he was even in those pages, not to mention the first one in her account. However, he is and always will be my favorite Beatle, despite what he may or may not have done in his private life. Like someone said before, getting blown by groupies and/or Hollywood hookers is (allegedly) a normal part of some rock stars' (and some movie stars') lives. Regardless of the sordid part(s) of his life, he was a generous, spiritual person who did great things, not-so-great things, and was basically a human being, like the rest of us.

The girl claimed he was playing a ukelele during her "job." I choose to believe that. Two things he loved at the same time.
    As we all know now, thanks to Bill Clinton, a blow job is not sexual relations. More like a hand shake or a fond kiss hello. I don't know how a non-violent act between two consenting adults makes George any less a peaceful, loving human being. I wish I could be half the man he was.

Chunga Guest
    Went to Tom Petty and he plays a similar model Rickenbacker as George. Tom's is a 1991 model, six-string.

Last edited by Chunga; 06-23-2008 at 01:03 PM.

rickenbacker Guest
    Tom has quite the collection of Ricks, including his own signature model!

Sigh...after my Carlin memorial service tonight, I think I'll throw in the Concert For George DVD, and head straight for the two songs by Tom and the boys.

mgpm Guest
    I love George. All the Beatles...Paul's my favorite, but George was just such a wonderful musician.

"Here Comes The Sun" is my favorite song of all time.

I saw the "LOVE" show in Vegas, and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is mind blowing.

I also love George... ha and john were my favourite Beatles. John because of his karisma and George because of his gentleness.... and they were both genious song writers....... Something is one of my absolute favourite songs ever.....

When George died I was working and living in a pub in Marble Arch in the center of London... after getting of from work, I took the tube to Sct. Johns Wood and waled to Abbey Road. This was one of the greatest experiences of my life... even though it was pretty cold and dark the place was surrounded by people. There were candles, flowers and notes all over the wall.. and someone was playing My Sweet Lord out the back of his VW.... really touching
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    I also love George... ha and john were my favourite Beatles. John because of his karisma and George because of his gentleness.... and they were both genious song writers....... Something is one of my absolute favourite songs ever.....

When George died I was working and living in a pub in Marble Arch in the center of London... after getting of from work, I took the tube to Sct. Johns Wood and waled to Abbey Road. This was one of the greatest experiences of my life... even though it was pretty cold and dark the place was surrounded by people. There were candles, flowers and notes all over the wall.. and someone was playing My Sweet Lord out the back of his VW.... really touching
    Lovely tribute to a gentle man. Thanks for sharing

You´re welcome.... nice to share it with people.. Took alot of pics out there, but unfortunately they are on paper not digital.... hmm maybe I should try scanning them.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    You´re welcome.... nice to share it with people.. Took alot of pics out there, but unfortunately they are on paper not digital.... hmm maybe I should try scanning them.....
    please do! would love to see them! By the way, this Rickenbacker was hanging in the Rock Hall just a matter of inches from my face. Astounding!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Missing you every day George!

Chunga Guest
    I just saw an interesting Antique Roadshow story on a Meet The Beatles album autographed by the lads. Signed twice by George. Once on the front and once on the back. This album is owned by the son of Francis C. Hall, the man that presented them with their Rickenbacker guitars. He even met them when he was a kid another time after the presentation by his father. Kind of cool to hear the story about the Beatles and Rickenbacker guitars. Valued the album at $130,000 and was told that it could sell for twice that amount.

Last edited by Chunga; 01-10-2009 at 12:42 PM.

rickenbacker Guest
    I just saw an interesting Antique Roadshow story on a Meet The Beatles album autographed by the lads. Signed twice by George. Once on the front and once on the back. This album is owned by the son of Francis C. Hall, the man that presented them with their Rickenbacker guitars. He even met them when he was a kid another time after the presentation by his father. Kind of cool to hear the story about the Beatles and Rickenbacker guitars. Valued the album at $130,000 and was told that it could sell for twice that amount.

Dang it!! I keep missing that episode!! I've had two people here tell me about it. F.C. Hall's son! Wow. With my love of the guitars, I'd be shaking just to meet HIM!

Backtracking a little up the thread, George in fact played the second 12-string Rickenbacker produced. The first was a prototype, George's was serial # 00001! It was the first to be strung "reverse" with the higher octave strings before the primary strings, with really gave it a unique, "jangly" sound. Check out the intro to The Beatles' "If I Needed Someone".

Man, I could talk Ricks and Beatles all night...somebody stop me!

Long Gone Day Guest
    George..and..John..were..my..favorites......Must..have..played..*All..Things
    Must..Pass*..a..zillion..times......So..sad..that..they..were..the..ones..to
    die......

Stargazer Guest
    George is my favorite easily. I would kill for an autographed anything from him!

I absolutely love George's Rickenbackers. Ricks are really great guitars. They're sometimes overlooked by some musicians, but they sound great and are really reliable.

wozzy Guest
    And of course the story of George's affair with Ringo's wife, Maureen...

Quote Originally Posted by wozzy View Post
    And of course the story of George's affair with Ringo's wife, Maureen...
    I haven't heard about that. Has anyone else? Do you have any more info?

I guess I'll be Googling tonight.

ETA: Wow, I found all kinds of stuff about it and now will have to get Pattie Boyd Harrison Clapton Frost's (LOL) biography...I can't believe this slipped under my Beatles/George radar.
    Last edited by Luanne; 01-28-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RubySlippers Guest