Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Products You Buy/Use

Hoagie78 Guest

Cheap Products You Buy/Use

What are some of the cheap items you buy/use ? Maybe something that some people might be snobby or look down on ?

I Use V05 shampoo & Conditioner 88 cents each.

Palmolive bar soap $1 for 3 bars. Sometimes I use Zest which cost a little more.

Colgate toothpaste $ 1.10

Royal Gelatin 50 cents a box.

I like to visit the Dollar Tree sometimes to see what they have.

Pryncis Guest
    I honestly could care less what other people think of what I buy. I buy it for me, not for them! I'll buy stuff at family dollar, dollar general and the dollar tree. I get most of my spices that I use regularly, like garlic powder and oregano etc. at one of those stores because they usually have large sizes for a buck. One thing though, that I NEVER skimp on is my toilet paper. I have to have my Cottonelle with aloe & E!

I remember wanting a pair of white keds with the little blue tag on the back of the heel. I was always upset at my mom for never buying me Keds because all the popular girls were wearing keds with the little blue tag. I hated my "bobo" keds from walmart! I wore them though, she wasn't going to buy me anything else! Now that I'm paying the bills, those keds can stay on the shelf!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Pretty much everything I buy is cheap. I believe fervently in St. Aldi and visit his temple frequently.

Pryncis Guest
    I wish we had a Temple of St. Aldi... although now that I think about it, you're in Germany and the Aldi's stores here may not be the same. Is your store like a grocery store with mostly no-name stuff you have to box or bag yourself? If it is, we may be of the same religion...

Tiger Guest
    I,m so cheap..Wal*mart is too expensive for me and Aldi. I do love the dollar store, but i buy my meat at Wal*mart..Back on topic..I buy Suave Shampoo & conditioner..No name brand Body wash..& generic cereal LOL

Walgreen's brand lotion is the best I've ever used. And @ $3.99 for a 24 oz bottle, it's a smokin' deal.

Scrimp on toilet paper? Not on your life! However, I've found that Target's brand is just as good as Cottonelle, which used to be the only one I'd buy. However 6 double rolls of Cottonelle @ $5.99 vs. the same number of sheets/rolls of Target brand for $3.99... You bet I'm buying the Target brand. Charmin Basic also isn't bad. And lots of times Walgreen's has a coupon for it where you can get six double rolls for $2.99. Best part? If they're out of a sale item, Walgreen's will give you a rain check and you have a month to pick it up at that price, regardless of if it's on sale or not.

I don't scrimp on paper towels. I like Viva the best. $2.00 per roll on average, when buying the two pack roll. Bounty Basic isn't much cheaper but it'll work in a pinch. But for every 1 sheet of Viva I use, I'd easily use 3 or 4 of almost every other brand. And do_not buy TUF paper towels EVER. I tried them once because they were 2/$1.00. If you buy them you'll find out why. Just add water and they magically disintegrate.

Taster's Choice coffee. But the stick pack boxes, not the jar. Why? Because lots of times the Nestle website offers coupons for those. BOGOs. At $1 per box, 8 single servings (two pouches per mug), congratulations, that BOGO coupon just got you 8 cups of coffee for a buck. Mighty handy to have around if you *shudder* run out of your favorite brand, which is why I keep them on hand. I love my fave but it ain't cheap.

There are other things but I can't think of them right now cuz I'm tired. But man do I love a quality bargain!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    I wish we had a Temple of St. Aldi... although now that I think about it, you're in Germany and the Aldi's stores here may not be the same. Is your store like a grocery store with mostly no-name stuff you have to box or bag yourself? If it is, we may be of the same religion...
    Yes ma'm, the Aldi stores I've seen in Ohio look just like the ones here. Pretty much a bare-bones grocery store with all store-brand stuff (sometimes they have Trader Joe's brand items, I think Trader Joe's belongs to them too somehow), plus basic personal care and household items (makeup, soap, shampoo, dishwashing liquid, supplies for cleaning floors and baths, etc.), and seasonal items that are no-name and kind of cheap but servicable which they sell more or less at cost to get people into the stores.

Lidl is basically the same scheme, but focuses more on brand-name products. Both now have packaged fresh meats, but not a butcher's counter in the store.

You have to bag everything yourself no matter where you shop in Germany. In fact, many people bring reuseable bags with them. In a pinch, you can also buy bags at the checkout.

We also have drugstores (called "Drogerien") which don't sell drugs. All medicines, except for a very few traditional and herbal remedies and band-aids and the like, are sold in independent pharmacies (even over the counter stuff like aspirin). The Drogerien are like a Walgreens or Rite-Aid minus the pharmaceuticals. There are also a couple of Aldi-type chains of Drogerien like Schlecker and Rossmann that have very good prices on toiletries and the like.

Some of these places have come under fire here because their employment practices are not exactly what you would call "labor-friendly".

Cheap Products You Buy/Use

Ummm, ummm....... let me get back to you on that one.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

crazedfemale Guest
    I vigorously coupon and no longer pay for toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, conditioner, hand sanitizer, deoderant.

I love Dollar Tree! I love their tp for my bunghole, the shampoos when I need them, toothpaste, some of the microfibre cloths, room sprays, Hartz Mountain Cat Litter 7lb for a buck, cat toys (they ignore them) books, batteries for my camera, CD player, and vintage portable radios, sinus pills, Tylenol PM knockoffs, cough drops, cleaners, chips, cookies, trail mix, those neat little furniture sliders, just about everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mark of quality throughout the world...

PurrPurr Guest
    Store brand of "off brand" canned goods and dry stuff like cereal, pasta, etc.. Hey, they taste the same as the more expensive stuff (and probably made at the same factory anyway). I use a lot of coupons or buy dollar stuff too. The only things I'm picky about are that I have to have my Heinz ketchup, Premium saltines, and my Carnation instant breakfast powder. Anything else, I'm flexible.

I don't do the whole couponing thing- I wish I had time and resources for it though...

I also shop a lot at Aldi- I like their makeup and face cleansing products (even though I haven't been able to find the moisturizer lately- it smells really good and a bottle of it lasts for months.

The one thing I will not skimp on is tampons. I prefer Tampax- (no vodka people- that's gross)- and I tried the generic brand- no good.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

FooFoo Shnickens Guest
    Suave dry shampoo. Less than $3 and amazing.

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    I buy mostly everything at Aldi. Their meat has really improved over the years and Wal Mart's is really expensive. I buy ground turkey, not ground beef b/c it is cheaper per pound. I also buy some things in bulks, ziploc bags, hand soap, frozen or dry goods at Sam's.

I use Suave Professional at a whopping 1.99 a bottle.
    I have no problem buying generic anything at the Pharmacy.
    I also use Target toilet paper and paper towels and think they are better than a lot of pricier brands.
    The only thing I don't skimp on is coffee and soda. Generic just tastes..strange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

radiojane Guest
    It's so refreshing to hear cheapness again. I live with brand snobs!

I love tresemme shampoo and conditioner. 2 bucks for a huge bottle.

I only clean with bleach, vinegar and cheap powdered laundry detergent. Do my floors, walls everything with it and I can make a box last six months.

I got britewhite toothpaste for ten cents a tube in a bargain store. Use it all the time and works great.

We have Superstores/Real Canadian Wholesale/No frills stores in Canada. they sell the best no name food. It's all delicious and so cheap!

Rosebud666 Guest
    You see an awful lot of Mercedes and BWMs in the parking lot at Aldi here.

When I buy booze (which is mostly around the holiday season), I usually buy it at Aldi. I taste absolutely no difference, unless we're talking about sipping Scotch straight up.

Here they also have some nice wines. They used to specialize in so-called Pennerflaschen ("Wino bottles"), which is anything larger than 0.75 liters. But pour it into a carafe before serving, and no one is the wiser. Now they mostly have normal-sized bottles anyway.

Jacksmum Guest
    I don't buy Windex anymore - I use vinegar and water. Much better anyways.

intothelight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Pretty much everything I buy is cheap. I believe fervently in St. Aldi and visit his temple frequently.
    I love the Temple of St. Aldi. Good place.

Mammy Guest
    I have never tried a Suave product that I didn't like. I like Suave hair care products, shower gel, and especially the baby powder scented deodorant. I always buy generic or store brand medicine. I love shopping at Sam's Club and buying in bulk. The only things I prefer the name brand are Starkist tuna, diet Mountain Dew, Jif peanut butter, and Cottonelle toilet paper. I buy most of our snack food at Big Lots and Dollar Tree.

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmum View Post
    I don't buy Windex anymore - I use vinegar and water. Much better anyways.
    Not to mention smells better...and great for multi-purpose use.

PurrPurr Guest
    I get my cat food and kitty litter at Sam's Club. I can get a 48-count case of Friskies canned food, a 25-pound bag of Dad's Special Mix dry cat food, and 50lbs. of Tidy Cats litter for a little over $40 after sales tax. Like me, the kittehs aren't fussy about what they eat. Cat litter is also all the same to them, as long as the box is clean.

The Lucky One Guest
    I get my cat litter at fred's. 20lbs for 6.99! Halo loves it, and so does daddy!

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    I get my cat litter at fred's. 20lbs for 6.99! Halo loves it, and so does daddy!
    I like Fred's stores too. They always have some bargain or cool items coming in.

The Lucky One Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie78 View Post
    I like Fred's stores too. They always have some bargain or cool items coming in.
    Yeah! Sometimes Fred's can be pretty BOMB!

Are you guys talking about Fred Meyer's? The one up here is pretty expensive. They have some decent clearances though.

CORONERGAL Guest
    I used to buy store brand toilet paper until I decided to try Charmin. WOW!! What a difference!
    Anyrhing else I go to the dollare store. I can get my air fresheners cheap and my storage containers cheap. Not to mention there are two nearby...one is a true dollar store and the other is a dollar and more store.

Djen Guest
    Alas, St. Aldi has forsaken the worshipers of Colorado. Perhaps our prayers aren't fervent enough? Maybe we need to repent our spendthriftiness with more remorse and sincerity? It could also be that, because of the lack of a proper temple, many have fallen into the trap of venerating the false idol of Wal-Mart.

I fear we will never have a proper shrine for St. Aldi here. Sigh.

I use Suave Clarifying Shampoo, I loved Landers when I could find it, and quite a while back I bought a bottle of Agree shampoo which I still have half of. And even though it's not a dollar store product, I have a glass bottle of Revlon Aquamarine shampoo, which I used a few times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mark of quality throughout the world...

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    Alas, St. Aldi has forsaken the worshipers of Colorado. Perhaps our prayers aren't fervent enough? Maybe we need to repent our spendthriftiness with more remorse and sincerity? It could also be that, because of the lack of a proper temple, many have fallen into the trap of venerating the false idol of Wal-Mart.

I fear we will never have a proper shrine for St. Aldi here. Sigh.
    Apparently you are right.

I used the store finder - not a single store in Colorado.

http://aldi.us/us/html/service/store...?WT.z_src=main

Is Colorado by chance an especially pro-labor state?

Pryncis Guest

The closest temple to me is 46.72 miles away. I bet spending the gas to get there would negate any savings... bummer...

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    The closest temple to me is 46.72 miles away. I bet spending the gas to get there would negate any savings... bummer...
    I suspect that you can do just as well buying store brands wherever you usually shop. But it is nice if there happens to be an Aldi right at the next street corner.

We had a module on consumer chemistry years ago in college (yeah I was not a science major) in which the professor claimed that 75% of what is in personal care products is just crap. He always recommended White Rain as a product that contained the most active ingredient and the least poofitywoofity and thus pretty economical. And if you wanted conditioning shampoo, just put some in a bottle and add some glue to it (his idea, not mine)

He did have fabulous hair!

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Are you guys talking about Fred Meyer's? The one up here is pretty expensive. They have some decent clearances though.
    Fred's is a discount store, kind of like a Big Lots/Dollar Store. They are here in the south east. I'm in east TN and they originated out middle TN.

You can find me in any dollar store any time. I am an addict.

I use Noxema to wash my face and Witch Hazel as an astringent.

The only thing I will not skimp on are condoms. I don't want my grandsons to have little aunts and uncles younger than they are. Besides my 25 year old may feel jealous of a new baby to replace her.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

I try and save as much as possible when I shop. I buy a lot of house brands and shop at the dollar stores. I am currently save a bundle on my prescription meds by buying them from this guy in van behind the 7-11 store.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    The only thing I will not skimp on are condoms. I don't want my grandsons to have little aunts and uncles younger than they are. Besides my 25 year old may feel jealous of a new baby to replace her.
    Smart woman. I'm about to be an aunt again because my sister in law elected to save money for an iud by not buying birth control or condoms. Noble thought, slightly less than practical follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    You can find me in any dollar store any time. I am an addict.

I use Noxema to wash my face and Witch Hazel as an astringent.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Smart woman. I'm about to be an aunt again because my sister in law elected to save money for an iud by not buying birth control or condoms. Noble thought, slightly less than practical follow through.
    I tried to save money on cheap condoms once. I'll never do that again. My right hand now has six fingers.

John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BigBootyJudy Guest
    My favorite place to get all kinds of stuff is Big Lots. For those of you that have children they have numerous brand-name toys and games that you will pay less for and they have a rewards card now too and they have random special shopping nights and 20% off your order coupons all the time. Their food is great too,alot of brand names and great spices. I buy Quilted Northern Ultra Plush toilet paper there and Bounty paper towels as well asTide Detergent, Downy and Bounce fabric softner and Palmolive dish soap and Febreeze noticibles refills. I also buy their wild bird food which is like $ 1.50 a bag and find Herbal Essences shampoos and Conditioners there all the time. They also have cheap DVD's of good movies and a lot of kids movies. Its a big store and you have to kind of look carefully but its worth the time!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    I try and save as much as possible when I shop. I buy a lot of house brands and shop at the dollar stores. I am currently save a bundle on my prescription meds by buying them from this guy in van behind the 7-11 store.
    Does his van per chance have snowtires and a maple leaf sticker on it?

Reports have come to my ears of whole retirement allotments in St. Paul where fly-by-night foreign pharmacists ply their trade from the backs of overhauled ice cream trucks, their chimes sweetly summoning forth the aging populace like lambs to the slaughter with the halting, dulcet tones of "oooh Ca---na---da---"!

Steppenwolf sang it best: "Goddamn the pusherman!"

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    I tried to save money on cheap condoms once. I'll never do that again. My right hand now has six fingers.

Thanks John.

Did you know that involutarilly snorting hot & spicy Pringles out your nose hurts, alot?

I don't remember the exact price of each of these items, but they are most def cheaper than the brands.

Kroger Value hot dogs
    Kroger canned and frozen veggies when I make soup
    Mayo, lite and regular
    Colgate toothpaste
    White Rain hairspray
    Ketchup
    Mustard
    Three Bean Salad
    Big K Diet Orange Drink

I have been known to use cheap shampoo but my hair doesn't like it. I like cheap colas, but, except for the Big K
    Diet Orange, I buy Pepsi and Diet Coke because I can. Actually I don't have to be picky about prices and could by brand names for everything, but in some case that is just a waste of money. My mama refused to used Blue Plate mayo and nothing other. But I can't really tell the difference.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

At Albertson's there is a generic brand called 'Always Save'. The tomato sauce & beans are better than any of the name brands. Also, 7-11 beef jerky is actually really tasty! I also like albertson's brand of brown sugar otmeal. Much better than Quaker oats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Safeway brand stewed tomatoes @ 99 cents a can vs. Del Monte @ $1.59. Tastes exactly the same and the same quality.

Target brand anti-bacterial handsoap @ $4.89 per half gallon, that I scent with essential oils and use to refill our handsoap dispensers and even use as a bodywash in the warmer months. I have very sensitive skin and have never had a problem doing that. Saves loads over buying brand name handsoap refills and bodywashes.

Djen Guest

I don't think so, would being a pro-labor state make a difference? (Showing my ignorance here...)

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    I don't think so, would being a pro-labor state make a difference? (Showing my ignorance here...)
    Well Aldi and some of its competitors have come under fire both in Germany and other places for labor practices that are sometimes less than kind. Among other things, they have been reputed to use strongarm tactics to prevent unionization of their stores. So they might be less likely to locate in a state that favors labor interests. But then you have Walmart already, so that kind of puts the kabosh on that idea.

Maybe their market research consultants told them that Coloradiators don't buy food? Zeez market rezearch guyz, zey are kravzy, no?

Djen Guest
    Well Aldi and some of its competitors have come under fire both in Germany and other places for labor practices that are sometimes less than kind. Among other things, they have been reputed to use strongarm tactics to prevent unionization of their stores. So they might be less likely to locate in a state that favors labor interests. But then you have Walmart already, so that kind of puts the kabosh on that idea.

Maybe their market research consultants told them that Coloradiators don't buy food? Zeez market rezearch guyz, zey are kravzy, no?
    I'll have to ask around and see if that's the situation. I'm pretty sure we buy food here.

Whoa, either that or all the stores working together to produce an elaborate ruse to fool me and my family, and all the shoppers and employees there are in on it. They've bugged our phones and our house to make it easier to know when to mobilize, so they're always ready when we get there.

Now that I think about it, I knew something was up when I heard that elevator-muzak version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" when I was at the King Soopers the other day. That just seemed a little too spot on and targeted to my particular demographic...

Rosebud666, we should probably BOTH go into hiding now, in different parts of the world, otherwise the governments of our countries will "disappear" us just like all the witnesses to the landing at Roswell in 1947. You need to pick a new codename, it's not safe to keep using Rosebud666 now that they know you've blown the whole conspiracy sky high!

I'll be "Dancing Queen." We'll meet every year on the 4th of July at the top of Machu Piccu. I'll say, "Remember Springtime in Paris?" And you'll say, "It's beautiful, except for the mimes." Then we'll discuss if we've been followed, and if we think it's safe to return to our old lives yet.

Good luck, old friend!

Well, either that or maybe I need to get my meds adjusted again?

I'm a couponer (not an extreme one though-just had to clarify since that God awful tv show started airing ), I can get a lot of good things cheap and I donate them to the troops overseas. I get things like razors, shave cream, shampoos, conditioners, body washes, candy etc... for them for either cheap or free. Even if I do pay full price, though, they are so worth it.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Vanart Egg Protein and Honey Shampoo (From Mexico)

La Bella Placenta and Vit. E Shampoo

I started using these shampoos cos I like their fragrance.

I make my own glass cleaner and I use Comet to clean the bathroom instead of toilet bowel cleaner/tile cleaner.

PurrPurr Guest
    I've used Comet (scratch-free) to clean my toilet for years. Much better than traditional toilet cleaner, and for 75 cents for a large can from the dollar store, I can't go wrong.

As for cola, it's either Pepsi or Pepsi Max in this house. Tried the store brands, but found the taste odd.

Years ago I purchased a box of store brand sanitary pads for my two daughters. I always got them name brand, don't know what possessed me to buy store brand. I only did it once. Never lived it down. To this day, on occassion, they bring it up. One dau. is 26, the other 29. They told me their friends told them they could hear a "crinkling" sound coming from them!! Apparently, the store brand was not as flexible and soft as their usual name brand. This thread reminded me of my bad purchase.