Thread: Son kills mom while on 911 call

cachluv Guest

Son kills mom while on 911 call

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=777_1196323516 -- To hear most of the 911 call.

November 28, 2007 HINKLEY, Ohio -- The stabbing death of a Medina County woman was immediately followed by a confession from the victim's son.

On Wednesday, the Hinkley Police Department released the 911 call in which the suspect spoke to a 911 operator after his mother's death.

The call was initially made by the victim, 62-year-old Noella Ravas. She went on to plead with her son, 26-year-old Patrick, telling him that everything was OK.

Inside her home, Patrick told his mother that she "was going down." Her screams were heard on the 911 tape. When they stopped, her son got on the phone.

Patrick Ravas: "I just killed my mother cause she deserved it."

Operator: "OK, you said you killed your mom?"

Ravas: "Yes."

Operator: "OK, listen, we're going to help you, OK Patrick?"

Ravas: "All right."

Operator: "I want you to stay on the phone with me. Can you do that for me?"

Ravas: "Yes."

Operator: "OK, do you have a knife right now?"

Ravas: "No."

Operator: "Where is the knife, Patrick?"

Ravas: "It's on the table."

Ravas was calm throughout the remainder of the 911 call.

Operator: "Where's your mom at?"

Ravas: "She's dead on the floor."

It was 9 ½ minutes from the time Noella Ravas made the call until Hinkley police arrived at the scene.

Before they got there, the 911 operators asked one more question.

Operator: "Can you tell me why you hurt your mom?"

Ravas: "Because she deserved it. She lied to me her whole life and the world is a f---ed up place and it needs to change."

Ravas was standing at the front door of his mother's home waiting for the police when they arrived.

He was arrested and was in the Medina County Jail awaiting his arraignment Thursday morning.

GrinReaper Guest
    "It was 9 ½ minutes from the time Noella Ravas made the call until Hinkley police arrived at the scene."

What the F!? That's way too long for the cops to arrive. Could they have saved the mother's life if they had gotten there sooner? (I don't want to hear the tape to find out the timing of her calling and getting stabbed.)

What were the cops doing? Finishing their donuts and coffee?
    "Hey George. We got a distress call."
    "Hold on Hank. My coffee's still too hot."
    "OK. Take your time. I may as well get another jelly filled."
    "While your at it, get me another chocolate one. Will ya?"

Kathyf Guest
    How absolutely terrible. That boy must be really disturbed.

cachluv Guest
    Grin, they don't play the part where she is screaming. The first part they played, it was her saying "Please come right away". Next thing you know, dude picks up the phone and says "I killed my Mom and she deserved it". He actually did it while she was on the 911 call.

Still, 9 minutes is too long. I wonder what type of place they lived in, geography-wise?

GrinReaper Guest
    Thanx cach.
    Yeah you have a point about their location. Country folks don't have the ammenities like city folk.

Keyser Soze Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    "It was 9 ½ minutes from the time Noella Ravas made the call until Hinkley police arrived at the scene."

What the F!? That's way too long for the cops to arrive. Could they have saved the mother's life if they had gotten there sooner? (I don't want to hear the tape to find out the timing of her calling and getting stabbed.)

I totally agree, if they would of been there sooner, they may of been able to prevent this from happening- I can't even imagine how the dispatcher feels, answering a call from a woman and then hearing the whole murder go down then talking to the murderer! booga

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    How absolutely terrible. That boy must be really disturbed.

hang on, you can't say that.........you don't know ALL the facts!!

Jazbabee Guest
    "She deserved it"???? WTF????

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    "She deserved it"???? WTF????
    no one knows their past, maybe she abused him sexually/physically/emotionally etc etc.....I don't know, you don't know! I'm not saying she deserved to die, if u think I said that, then u misread what I said!

Lisamarie Guest
    Any audio?? Anyone heard the tape of her being killed??

RigorMortis Guest
    I just read this in the local paper yesterday. I live in central Ohio. Hinkley is about midway between Akron and Cleveland. The mom sounded awfully calm. She must not have thought he'd really do it until he attacked.

Bizzarre!

Quote Originally Posted by pogobean View Post
    no one knows their past, maybe she abused him sexually/physically/emotionally etc etc.....I don't know, you don't know! I'm not saying she deserved to die, if u think I said that, then u misread what I said!
    the son who killed her said she deserved to die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    What did she keep from him his whole life? Maybe it was a Chinatown moment where she confessed, "You're my son. My brother. My son. My brother."

Fact: The kid was pissed that the world is a fucked up place to live and took it out on his Mom because "she lied to him" about the world.

Not sure about you but I would say that is pretty fuckin' disturbed.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post

Maybe the Chief of Police is called Wiggum?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wig.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	1882

motherogod Guest
    I agree, he must be disturbed-- murder or even maim someone with a knife?? No matter what provoked him, there is no way to normalize THAT behavior! Let me just say I'm not a big proponent of giving people leniency due to mental illness at all, but good lord!

Like someone said, she sounded calm as if she didn't believe he would actually do it- that could be due to forcing self to be calm for the purpose of making the call OR because he's threatened her multiple times. I seriously doubt this was his first violent "outburst."

Regardless, this woman is dead at the hands of her own son. Terrible.

Ravas: "Because she deserved it. She lied to me her whole life and the world is a f---ed up place and it needs to change."
    The boy felt the world is a fucked up place and used it as a justification for killing his mom who apparently never taught him common sense or that there are consequences for one's actions. Poor kid.

Jaxxx Guest
    There's way too much of this sort of thing happening all the time, one just doesn't know what you might be doing to your kids, sometimes they snap too.

donetodeath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    Fact: The kid was pissed that the world is a fucked up place to live and took it out on his Mom because "she lied to him" about the world.

Not sure about you but I would say that is pretty fuckin' disturbed.
    I think your great jason,but we don't know if she did anything wrong at all and he is the one with big problems,or if she did something unforgivable!

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    He was right about one thing though...the world is a fucked up place!

SistaSara Guest
    Whatever the facts....(he might be a victim of some sort of deranged act) but the guy is still distrubed. I mean come on buddy...you're 26...almost 30...yeah the world is fucked up...you just realized it? And at this point (being 26) it isn't you mom's fault anymore. Even I had to let that one go..that everything is somehow my mama's fault.

cachluv Guest
    "Any audio?? Anyone heard the tape of her being killed??"

---LisaMarie, the tape is cut at the point she begins to scream. Then it resumes when the son gets on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    The boy felt the world is a fucked up place and used it as a justification for killing his mom who apparently never taught him common sense or that there are consequences for one's actions. Poor kid.
    we know nothing of the relationship between this mother and son, nor what she did or didn't teach him/try to teach him
    we know very little about him. he could be mentally disturbed, have pschysophrenia, on drugs...
    personally, l think it sounds pschysophrenic.
    it's pretty cold to blame her for her own murder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think we know quite a bit about him and her. And that we're all entitled to our own opinions.

25. 12-01-2007, 05:46 AM

cachluv Guest
    bump

Jazbabee Guest
    26years old, and blaming his mother for the world being a fucked up place ? I don't know if he was a whack job, or a spoiled ass with a screwed up sense of entitlement. Either way - hope his ass has been put away for q looong time !

Lisamarie Guest
    yeah nothing justifies stabbing your mother....nothing....

guardmom2008 Guest
    She did not deserve to be killed. I am sure that they will evaluate him to see if there is something wrong, other than that he will serve time if not more.

Lita Guest
    I wonder what ever happened to "dear" Patrick. Hopefully he's been sentenced to spend the rest of his life behind bars.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Cach....you got an update .....I`d look but can`t find dudes last name....I`m a little slow today

Cataroo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Cach....you got an update .....I`d look but can`t find dudes last name....I`m a little slow today
    I was able to find this, but can't find anything newer ...

Friday, August 29, 2008

Ravas ruled insane -Medina (OH) Gazette

By ALLISON WOOD - August 28th, 2008

MEDINA â?? Two psychological evaluations of the mentally ill man accused of killing his mother in her Hinckley Township home determined he was insane at the time of the offense last year.

Patrick M. Ravas, 27, is accused of stabbing Noella Ravas, 62, in her Salem Court residence several times while she was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher in the early morning hours of Nov. 28. She was pronounced dead at a local hospital a short time later.

Ravas is charged with counts of aggravated murder, murder and aggravated burglary, and has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to the charges.

Common Pleas Judge Christopher J. Collier has ruled Ravas is competent to stand trial, meaning he is mentally capable of contributing to his own defense.

Ravas was diagnosed with schizophrenia and was hospitalized years before his motherâ??s death, court records show.

The evaluations were completed by Kathleen Stafford and Dr. Stephen Noffsinger of the Akron Psycho-Diagnostic Clinic. Staffordâ??s evaluation was completed earlier this year, while Noffsingerâ??s recently was finished.

Both experts also offered testimony last year during the trial of Steven Latham, who was convicted on four counts of aggravated robbery for shooting a sheriffâ??s deputy and at three other deputies at his Litchfield Township home in 2006.

It will be up to a jury to determine if the expertsâ?? testimony should be believed, county Prosecutor Dean Holman said.

Another pre-trial hearing is scheduled for Sept. 19.

Ravas has been in the Medina County Jail since his Nov. 28 arrest.

http://mentalhopenews.blogspot.com/2...h-gazette.html

MorbidMolly Guest
    Thanks Cat....you rawk

surly Guest
    Brunswick man gets life in prison for killing his mother in Hinckley

Posted by Melissa Martin October 31, 2008 09:35AM

Categories: News
    The Brunswick man who killed his mother at her Hinckley Township home has been sentenced to life in prison.
    Patrick Ravas, 27, pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated murder. He will be eligible for parole after 25 years, said Medina County Common Pleas Court Judge Christopher J. Collier.

Ravas withdrew his original plea of not guilty by reason of insanity last week after a court-ordered competency evaluation showed he was mentally fit enough to do so.
    Two psychological evaluations have determined Ravas was legally insane at the time of the offense. He had been diagnosed with schizophrenia years before the murder and had spent time in a mental hospital, court records show.
    Ravas was arrested on the morning of Nov. 28 after stabbing his mother, Noella Ravas, around 2:30 a.m. at her Salem Court residence. Noella Ravas had been on the phone with a 911 dispatcher at the time, claiming that her son was trying to assault her with a knife.
    In the middle of the call, the Noella Ravas dropped the phone and can be heard on the 911 tape begging her son to stop.
    Patrick Ravas then picked up the phone and said he killed his mother "because she deserved it."
    A police dispatcher convinced Ravas to remain at the scene and surrender to Hinckley Township police when they arrived.
    As part of the plea agreement, additional counts of aggravated murder, murder and aggravated burglary were dropped.
    Ravas remains at the Medina County jail, where he has been detained since his arrest.

http://blog.cleveland.com/brunswicks...fe_in_pri.html

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SistaSara View Post
    Whatever the facts....(he might be a victim of some sort of deranged act) but the guy is still distrubed. I mean come on buddy...you're 26...almost 30...yeah the world is fucked up...you just realized it? And at this point (being 26) it isn't you mom's fault anymore. Even I had to let that one go..that everything is somehow my mama's fault.
    Totally agree!

NOVSTORM Guest

Well the poor woman had to deal with a mentally ill son..live out in the boonies so the cops couldn't save her..poor thing.
    At least this article gave out some info on the guy lol so we could stop guessing.

Shamrocker99 Guest
    I am at work right now reading this and can't believe I don't remember this happening. I am a 911 dispatcher in a suburb just down the road from where this happened. The city this happened in is very small and usually they only have one officer working per shift and then a guy at the station. That probably is the reason for the slow response time. I hope to god I never have a call like this, even though the death hag in me would probably secretly enjoy it. Strange coincidence is that I was in the jury pool for the other case mentioned where the guy shot the sheriff! They booted me though since I work for the police and "couldn't be impartial". I was really excited to finally be called too. Thanks for sharing this story and the link to the 911 audio!
    Last edited by Shamrocker99; 11-17-2008 at 01:42 PM.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I totally agree, if they would of been there sooner, they may of been able to prevent this from happening- I can't even imagine how the dispatcher feels, answering a call from a woman and then hearing the whole murder go down then talking to the murderer! booga
    Hinkley is pretty rural I seriously doubt they have their own police department. It isn't even really a town a state park, a few stores, a nudist colony and several farms. Getting there in under ten minutes isn't bad time.

Sounds like this guy had mental illness severe enough he should have been living in a supervised setting, not at home for his elderly mother to deal with.

This reminds me of a case back in the mid 90's in nearby Lorain, OH when a doctor was stabbed to death by his son at home while taking a nap. Like this guy, the son was in his mid to late 20's and suffered from schizophrenia so severe he had been institutionalized. The son's doctor had put him on new meds, said he was stabilized and sent him home to the parents, with tragic results. Really a shame as the father was a well known and respected surgeon.

Young men with severe mental illnesses like schizophrenia can be incredibly difficult to control. They're young and strong and, if they decide to stop taking their meds or if meds don't work, its hard for a family member to control them. I feel pity for them and their families trying to deal with what must be a really difficult, incurable illness.

Some mental patients just can't live in an unsupervised environment, no matter how many meds they take.

When I was about 16 or so, some friends and I went for doughnuts at 2 in the morning (long story). We sat down to wait for them to pack them up, right across from a pair of cops who were having doughnuts and coffee. The first officer's radio went off, asking their location. He told them that they were driving down a road that was actually on the other side of the city! His partner kinda smirked, and ate another doughnut.

We called the police station and reported the whole thing. What if someone had needed help? There would have been a delay in getting to the person if this couple of idiots had been assigned! My friends and I were so angry.