Thread: Teacher Bans Bless You

Teacher Bans Bless You

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

That is blatantly stupid. Even I say it. (See sig for more information.)

A pox upon his penalty!

Rosebud666 Guest
    That's stupid - this is purely a cultural thing and has nothing to do with religious faith.
    By this logic, "oh my God" or OMG is also right out.

This is going too far,whats next banning "Fuck you"
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtwin View Post
    This is going too far,whats next banning "Fuck you"
    Over my dead body!

This teacher is forcing his personal beliefs onto the students and has become far more disruptive than any student saying "Bless You". Time to retire.

EDIT: This may all stem from students saying "Bless You" in a manner that was intentionally disruptive:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNB11LBSGI.DTL
    Last edited by aedgar5000; 10-01-2011 at 08:52 AM.

I can see now why he banned it. It wasn't because of religious beliefs it was because the adolescents were being obnoxious. As a former jr. high teacher, I completely understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It seems like he's taking more time out of his class to discipline those who say it rather than letting it go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by aedgar5000 View Post
    Over my dead body!

This teacher is forcing his personal beliefs onto the students and has become far more disruptive than any student saying "Bless You". Time to retire.

EDIT: This may all stem from students saying "Bless You" in a manner that was intentionally disruptive:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyouya Ohtori Ouran Host View Post
    It seems like he's taking more time out of his class to discipline those who say it rather than letting it go.
    And there we go.

Quote Originally Posted by aedgar5000 View Post
    yup. they're being obnoxious teenagers. and he's right to get them to stop yelling in his classroom.

the fact that the parent called Fox News instead of the school speaks volumes, as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    yup. they're being obnoxious teenagers. and he's right to get them to stop yelling in his classroom.

the fact that the parent called Fox News instead of the school speaks volumes, as well.
    I agree. Not sure what pisses me off more: punks constantly trying to disrupt classes, or parents of these punks who go to the media with this nonsense. I wish the teacher didn't remove the demerits.
    Cindy

Rosebud666 Guest
    In that case, let the punks learn a new word for "Gesundheit!" *in a different language each time they screw around. If they don't, double demerits.

*"Gesundheit" was what we said in my family in Ohio - not that many generations removed from immigration, and surrounded by an enclave of German-speakers (Amish). When one of my great-grandmothers was stricken with what was described as hardening of the arteries (but I suspect was probably Alzheimer's), she slowly transformed from a gentle old Mennonite woman into a fury who could cuss a blue streak and spoke only German.

The proper response was "Danke Schoen", which was fun as a kid because it invariably came out sounding like "donkey shone" or worse.

I'd say most Germans under 65 no longer say anything when someone sneezes, at least not where I live. My grandmother would think they were very rude.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    I can see now why he banned it. It wasn't because of religious beliefs it was because the adolescents were being obnoxious. As a former jr. high teacher, I completely understand.
    As the mother of two former junior high students, I understand too! lol

But I have to wonder if the teacher is the one who made a big deal out of it to begin with. I can't imagine a classroom full of kids pouncing on something as innocuous as saying "Bless you" if they weren't nudged in that direction by the teacher.

Rosebud666 Guest
    In middle school in NE Ohio, we had a teacher who was originally from Florida.

In her class, it wasn't good enough for us to just say "Yes Mrs. Shipley" or "No Mrs. Shipley". We were to say "Yes Ma'm" and "No Ma'm".

This introduction of southern chivalry on northern soil offended my sense of local patriotism to no end. So I said it just as snidely and obnoxiously as a 13 year old can, so that it sounded more like "Heil Hitler!"

I was quickly granted a special dispensation freeing me from the Yes Ma'm" doctrine. "If you're going to say it like that . . . I would rather that you didn't say it at all." I suppose that's somewhere on my permanent record.

I wonder if something similar happened here.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    I feel sorry for anyone teaching jr. high or high school kids.