Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAD Forums 2.0

FAD Forums 2.0

In about six hours, we will be instituting some changes to the forums. These will make the site more secure, easier to update, and should provide for a smoother experience for everyone that posts here. There won't really be too many things lost, and there'll be a lot gained, but it will be different from what you're used to. This thread is to document what I plan to do and then serve as a running discussion once those changes are in place.

Initially, you will notice a great deal of visual changes. The layout will be roughly the same, but I'm sure many of you won't like the new look - this is just a reality anytime there's a design change to something that is so beloved. Of course, many others will think it's great, but there's no need to really go into a debate over the graphics, the colors, and that kind of thing: give it a couple of weeks to soak in and then we can tweak it as needed after that. The important things are how the board functions, how it works for you, and how easy it is for you to come on here and connect with people that share similar interests.

• The forum skins you're used to (Default Style, Nightfall, Midnight Garden, and Pink Peace) are going away. There won't be anything elaborate replacing them initially, but we will have a light skin, a darker skin, and a pink skin in place eventually. Bear with me a little on getting that done, as it'll probably look a little bland at the beginning.

• There are a number of improvements coming that will add value to the site and will connect with external resources like Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and others. Again, these won't all be in place right away, but what we're doing tonight is laying the foundation for changes to come. We are considering adding user blogs to supplement the posts and the social groups we already have.

• Many users have asked if they can donate to the community to show their support in that way. Scott has some t-shirts on the way, there are ads running, and of course, there are the tours, DVDs, and other items available in the Findadeath Store. We will also add subscriptions that users can enable to remove advertising banners from the forums - for those who want to support the site but want to do it commercial-free.

• There will now be a style that is optimized for mobile phones. It will be cleaner with less overhead than the standard themes. Eventually, there will be apps available on both the iPhone and Android markets, but this mobile style will get the job done quite nicely.

That's about it for now. There's a lot more in the works, but we're really do need to address design and security issues right off the bat. We will give some changes a chance to soak in before introducing other changes, but they all have the same purpose: to keep this community strong. That means making it more enjoyable, more modern, financially stable, and populated with happy folks learning and laughing.

Sounds great, Nick!

I only got to do some of what I wanted, since a clusterbomb of clusterfuck was dropped during the upgrade. As I mentioned in the updated announcement, I've had company over all day and I have another business commitment tonight, so I will finish up the upgrade a little later than planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I only got to do some of what I wanted, since a clusterbomb of clusterfuck was dropped during the upgrade. As I mentioned in the updated announcement, I've had company over all day and I have another business commitment tonight, so I will finish up the upgrade a little later than planned.
    I really did not think I would like it because I loved my Nightfall skin, but me likey! Thanks a mill!

Birthplace of the Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Nick, i just wanna say thank you for all your hard work, loving the new look and am loving the subscription idea

keep working hard dude, loving the results
    I love you and miss you dad, Antun Perdija 27-06-41 - 28-12-00
    RIP Daniel Colvin 5 June 1974 - 7 June 2011, Best Friend, lover, fiancee

RIP David Edgar, 2 Dec 1953 - 10 June 2011, Uncle
    RIP Agnes Steele Edgar, 17 May 1926 - 4 July 2011, Grandmother

I notice the calendar still stops at Dec 2010.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Can I still look at posts I have posted in to see updates? I haven't found that yet.

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

I also notice no results from searches show anything from before the upgrade.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Looks good

Thanks, all. I have a lot more to do, but the worst is in the past. I should be able to fix up the search feature.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Can I still look at posts I have posted in to see updates? I haven't found that yet.
    Could you rephrase that? I'm not sure what you meant.

Cool. Thanks Nick.

This is faaaaaancy!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

You ain't seen nothing yet, sweetheart.

Unlike the Facebook changes, I like this!!

looks good, a bit of adjustment, and I think we'll all be fine!
    More smilies?
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I LOVE the new changes and think it all looks great! I don't know how to describe it but when I logged on I immediately thought "Wow! It looks so "clean"!"
    "For mine is a generation that circles the globe in search of something we haven't tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience, and if it hurts, you know what? It was probably worth it." ~The Beach~

www.minlynn.deviantart.com

Before, I could click on "all posts by" & see the posts I'd made. Any threads that had been posted in after me would be lit up & I would check them for new posts. But now it only shows me posts I've made today. Is there a way to still do that?

I apologize, I have been taking lortabs all day for a migraine & I don't make sense, even to myself today. I'm sure there's a better way to explain what I mean.

RaRa - do you mean how do you tell which threads have new posts?
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I think RaRa is talking about on our pages, there was a statistics tab or something like that. It would show all the threads you've posted in. The little notepad thingy was kinda lit up when there has been a new post in that thread since you've posted. Still shaded if no one has posted in that thread since.

I think what you're talking about is a search issue. I have to reindex the site, but I think I'm going to go to a different search type eventually, so I was putting it off. I guess I'll give it a try with the currrent system. This may take anywhere from two hours (I freaking hope) to a lot more hours.

Yep, it took over thirteen hours to reindex about 1.2 million posts. You may resume your normal level of death haggery. Pardon our dust and all that.

Thank you Nick. I am loving the new forum.

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    RaRa - do you mean how do you tell which threads have new posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini33 View Post
    I think RaRa is talking about on our pages, there was a statistics tab or something like that. It would show all the threads you've posted in. The little notepad thingy was kinda lit up when there has been a new post in that thread since you've posted. Still shaded if no one has posted in that thread since.

yeeess thanks guys

Yep, it took over thirteen hours to reindex about 1.2 million posts. You may resume your normal level of death haggery. Pardon our dust and all that.
    Wow thanks so much Nick!

I really like the forum without a skin. As someone upthread said, it looks cleaner. I will probably stick to it even if we later have skin options.

NICE!

looks very nice!
    RIP Heath Ledger 1979-2008

The calendar still doesnt show anydates beyond December 31st of 2010.

I don't even know what the forum skins are????

Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    I don't even know what the forum skins are????
    There are no forum skins yet.

It'll all take some getting used to...I guess.

Impressive! I like!!
    There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love. ~ Don Juan De Marco

It looks good. I like the changes, looks like Nick is channeling Mark Zukerberg this week.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

You know, I actually had built-in video chat set up on TNL before Facebook had it. Now if I could just attract 750 million more users . . .

You know, I actually had built-in video chat set up on TNL before Facebook had it. Now if I could just attract 750 million more users . . .
    Live video char could be a nice feature for here.
    John Trim On Face Book

It's on the list of possibilities.

It's on the list of possibilities.
    Cool, cool. I think that could be fun.
    John Trim On Face Book

Holy Crap! I've had my head up my ass, and didn't realize this was happening. It looks good and it runs smoothly (at least on my end) which is sweetness.

Now on to making fun of Courtney Stoddard!

looking forward to the pink skins!
    Last edited by Jason; 09-27-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Really diggin' it...... it is sharp
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    looking forward to the pink skins!

i luv the text stuff and the envelopes that remind me man i babble alot lol
    you know where it is yo it usually depends on where you start

Thanks Nick!
    Rudolph Valentino 1895-1926

These images are what the new look reminds me of. The first picture is the Enterprise bridge from the original series. The second picture is the bridge from the 2009 Star Trek movie. Old forum, new forum.

USS_Enterprise_replica_bridge.jpgenterprise-bridge-link.jpg
    John Trim On Face Book

Looking forward to the dark skin... Thanks for your hard work.
    Remember me as you pass by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so you will be, Prepare for death and follow me.

I like it too. It was worth all the jonesing I went through when you had the site down.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

the new layout lags a bit for me, not something I will get used to in 2 weeks for sure.

Maybe your browser doesn't have all the graphics cached yet. But, yeah, there is more going on here than before, so it may be a bit slower. Once I finish up some of the other to-dos, I will look into more speed optimizations.

hmm, on my work computer and I have firefox set to not remember anything I do on this computer. Wonder if that could be why? maybe it's like starting from scratch everytime I log on? or would that not even matter?

If the browser empties the cache every time you close it, that could cause noticeably longer load times, but that would be for every site you visit - the more images, the slower the site. Let's see how it loads after I comb through the settings this weekend. (No downtime, I promise. )