Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer

Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer

From the our gang comedies was shot and killed in 1959 over an argument ove a $50 debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    From the our gang comedies was shot and killed in 1959 over an argument ove a $50 debt.

Well if that was all that it was then it wouldn't be much of a story. He was,to say the least, a very difficult child actor who turned into a handful as an adult. He reminded me of the prototype country slickster. He actually threatend a guy that had a gun in his hand by charging him with a knife. He didn't like for you not to pay him what you owed I guess. He didn't have many friends. (The guy that played Butch and Buckwheat I think.) The guy that played butch was actually cast against type much like Alfafa. (Butch was a mean character but the actor who played him was a sweetie.)
    Who Better to laugh at what's inapproriate than me? Politically incorrect people like myself enjoy undaunted humor.

That lady was my grandma who past away 2 years ago. She was young and angry in this picture though lol. I guess someone needs to get out there and shovel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    Well if that was all that it was then it wouldn't be much of a story. He was,to say the least, a very difficult child actor who turned into a handful as an adult. He reminded me of the prototype country slickster. He actually threatend a guy that had a gun in his hand by charging him with a knife. He didn't like for you not to pay him what you owed I guess. He didn't have many friends. (The guy that played Butch and Buckwheat I think.) The guy that played butch was actually cast against type much like Alfafa. (Butch was a mean character but the actor who played him was a sweetie.)
    It was something about a reward for a lost dog? I think if you go and search his name there are some good stories about it. Yes I heard he was a "little ass." Darla Hood is buried by him!

Yeah I do remember that article but come on now; is $50 worth your life? I mean the man had the gun in his head. Alfe kind of reminds me of Tree Top Bubba in the Jim Croce sone. "Don't Go Messin With Jim"
    Who Better to laugh at what's inapproriate than me? Politically incorrect people like myself enjoy undaunted humor.

That lady was my grandma who past away 2 years ago. She was young and angry in this picture though lol. I guess someone needs to get out there and shovel.

At least he's finally with Darla. What a waste..over $50.00!
    peek-a-boo!!

I am sure his temper didn't help the issue any!!

Alfie in 'It's a Wonderful Life':

The Defiant Ones

Dunno what movie this is from:

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 02:49 AM.

hmm could be part of the lil rascals curse

wow I've never seen pics of him as a grown up.......interesting

He was also friends with Roy Rogers. They went hunting together.

I drove by the house where he was shot a few years ago, but didn't take any pics.
    "Don't steam me, Norton!"

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post

I drove by the house where he was shot a few years ago, but didn't take any pics.
    I drove by the house last time I was in LA and took a picture or two. I'll have to dig out some of my Death Hag photos sometime and log them.

Another sad fact about Alfalfa's death is that he died on the same day as Cecil Demille. Demille's death was front page news. Alfalfa's was not so big a deal. The newspaper mentioned him else where in the paper.

Yeah I remember seeing a True Hollywood Story on the The Little Rascals and he was known for being a real, lil devil and then a full blwon asshole in his adult years! I heard that he would pretty much do or say anything to people just to make himself laugh. Like including physically hurting others (on set ) and off because he thought it was just SOOO funny! He's freaky lookin too, I don't like him lol
    I wish I could just hug you all... But I'm not gonna! Layne Staley (Unplugged and perfect)

Here is a story written in 2001. I've been all over the internet reading about Carl because he was a Freemason.
    Death of a Little Rascal: After 40 years, eyewitness tells how Alfalfa died

By Colleen Cason
    Sunday January 21, 2001
    The life of a Little Rascal who grew into a troubled man faded to black 42 years ago today. Carl Switzer, who, as the scrawny, saucer-eyed Alfalfa of the "Our Gang" comedies, made America laugh, came to an unhappy end -- shot dead over $50.
    For Tom Corrigan of Thousand Oaks, that night stands out like young Alfalfa's cowlick. He was just a few feet from Switzer when the fatal shot was fired.
    A coroner's jury ruled Corrigan's stepfather, Moses S. "Bud" Stiltz, acted in self-defense, but that's not how the then-14-year-old son of western movie star Ray "Crash" Corrigan saw it.
    "It was more like murder," said Tom Corrigan, today a burly, 56-year-old restaurateur who sports his late father's 10-gallon hats.
    Corrigan rarely speaks of the night of Jan. 21, 1959, but, surprised to hear the Internet brims with conspiracy theories about the death of the man he called Alfie, he agreed to go on the record. While Web postings claim Alfie used a police badge to bluff his way into the house and that he was killed over a drug deal, the truth is simpler and sadder.
    Just before dark on that January day, Tom heard a knock on the front door. Then Alfie said, "Western Union for Bud Stiltz." He recognized the voice instantly. Although he was 32, Alfie's voice deepened only slightly from the cracking twang of his Little Rascals days.
    Alfie had been around Tom's family as long as he could remember. Crash Corrigan and Alfie had a mutual friend in TV cowboy Roy Rogers. Washed up as a child star at 14, Alfie tended bar and along with Rogers guided celebrities on bear hunts. Young Tom worked at Rogers' Chatsworth skeet-shooting range. He often hung out with Alfie, stopping with him at the dingy bars that dotted the long boulevards of the San Fernando Valley.
    Although Rogers landed Alfie small parts in movies, the rural Illinois kid who starred in 61 of the "Our Gang" comedies was broke. Syndicators were making millions running the shows on television, but not a cent was going to the gang.
    Rita Corrigan opened the door to find Alfie drunk and demanding. By now, Tom Corrigan had come into the living room.
    "Where's the asshole, Tommy? I'm going to kick his ass good," Alfie said as he entered with his buddy Jack Piott, a 37-year-old bit actor. The epithet referred to Stiltz; the two had feuded for months over a debt.
    Alfie had borrowed one of Stiltz's hounds for a hunting trip near Lake Shasta. The dog chased after a bear and disappeared. A rancher found the dog and wanted a $50 reward. Alfie believed Stiltz should pay because it was his dog. When Stiltz refused to hand over the cash, Alfie was forced to borrow the money or lose the dog.
    "It just got to be a principle stand with Alfie," remembers Corrigan. "He was feeling down and out and thought Bud should cover it."
    For his part, Stiltz decided he wanted more than principle on his side. He greeted Alfie that night with a .38-caliber revolver in his hand.
    Stiltz was not a man to be trifled with. Crash Corrigan hired the 38-year-old St. Louis tough guy as a bodyguard when he received death threats after a business deal went sour. In addition to supplying muscle, Stiltz was a crack mechanic and welder -- skills that came in handy at Corriganville, the movie set and tourist attraction Crash built near Simi Valley. But Stiltz was the proverbial fox guarding the henhouse. It wasn't long before Rita Corrigan left her husband for him.
    Corrigan readily admits he never liked his stepdad. "He was mean. He'd push me around. I never knew what my mother saw in him."
    So it was no shock to young Tom when a brawl broke out over the gun that night. While Alfie wrestled for control of the weapon, Piott broke a glass-dome clock over Stiltz's head. His eye swelled shut.
    The gun went off. Tom screamed. A piece of plaster from the hole blown in the wall or shrapnel from the bullet grazed his leg. Tom's two younger sisters ran to the neighbors' house to call the police.
    The room got dead quiet. "Well, we shot Tommy, enough of this," he remembers Alfie saying as he and Piott retreated. Tom had just stepped out the front door when he heard the gun go off in the entryway behind him. He didn't see Stiltz shoot Alfie. But he turned and saw Alfie -- a surprised look on his still-freckled face -- sliding down the wall. He had been shot in the groin.
    It was then Corrigan spotted a closed penknife at Alfie's side. He figured it either fell out of his fist or his pocket.
    Stiltz backed Piott against the kitchen counter and threatened to kill him. Piott pleaded for his life. Rita Corrigan begged her husband not to shoot. Stiltz didn't fire. Corrigan thinks he would have if he hadn't heard the emergency sirens wailing in the distance.
    But in the days that followed, he might have wished he had. Piott's version of events bore little resemblance to Stiltz's account. Stiltz claimed Alfie came after him with a knife, screaming he was going to kill him. Stiltz said Alfie managed to close the weapon as he fell after being shot. Corrigan knew that was a lie.
    A now-deceased Los Angeles Police Department detective, Pat Poe, interviewed Corrigan and asked if he would tell a judge what he saw. Although afraid of his stepdad, he agreed to testify.
    He was never called. A coroner's jury bought Stiltz's version and cleared him a few days after the shooting.
    "He didn't have to kill him," Corrigan said. He pointed to a bearskin rug above the bar of his Thousand Oaks Boulevard steakhouse. "Alfie gave that to me when I was 11. He said I was too old for a teddy bear so he'd give me a real bear."
    *** Tom Corrigan is not the only one to remember what happened 42 years ago today. Every Christmas until Bud Stiltz died in 1984, he received a card signed "Alfie."
    Last edited by GiantBryan; 03-27-2008 at 12:30 PM.
    Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli..."
    (If you want Square Work, you don't cut corners...)

At the end of the game, The king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Carl had a small part in a John Wayne movie, "Island In The Sky". He played a likable but sleepy co-pilot whose favorite saying was "whatever is customery".
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."

Wow. quite a story! RIP Alfie
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

Wow! Great story, Brian! Thanks for digging it up and posting! You're aces, dude!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Talking

Thanks SheBoss, I do have a request though, if you are going to use an I in my name can you spell my name Brain.
    Thanks BrYan

Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Wow! Great story, Brian! Thanks for digging it up and posting! You're aces, dude!
    Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli..."
    (If you want Square Work, you don't cut corners...)

At the end of the game, The king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Found some more pics. He had a lot of bit parts in numerous movies and acted opposite some pretty famous people, such as Elizabeth Taylor, John Wayne, and of course Roy Rogers, who was Godfather to Carls' son.

I also found a pic of the house where he was killed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alfalfa

Anyone know if he house he was killed in is till standing?

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
    As far as I know its still standing? Scott would probably know for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
    Apparently, it is.

http://www.franksreelreviews.com/sho...fa/alfalfa.htm

Great Thread. This was actually the 1st thread I read here as a member. Gotta Love Our Gang.

Thanks for all the great info!

FAD

This is another story that I have all ready, it's up to Scott now.

saw the biography about our gang/little rascals. it was said to have been 15 dollars not 50. also he and the man drank up the 15 dollars in a bar. where they met. carl then wanted the money back and tried to rob him for it and was shot by the man. carl was a spoiled brat. from what i have seen and heard he was a sneaky little boy who picked on the other kids. i think he felt the world owed him something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    This is another story that I have all ready, it's up to Scott now.
    That would be a good addition. All for $15 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantBryan View Post
    Thanks SheBoss, I do have a request though, if you are going to use an I in my name can you spell my name Brain.
    Thanks BrYan
    Sure - Sorry...
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    Sounds like he was far from a nice person!

Here's a pic of Alfalfa from a 1955 TV Guide article where they re-united the Lil Rascals :

Bleed out

He was shot in the groin, and it hit an artery. He would have lived, but the open artery let him bleed out. He wasn't my favorite Rascal, but was in my top five. I'm guessing the 'hole that shot him was trigger happy.

Sad to see childhood heros bite the big one like this...

Wow, never read the eyewitness account! I'll have to see if his boyhood home is still standing. I live about 20 miles from his hometown.

That was a really interesting article. Six months late to say it, but thanks for posting it!

Does anybody have any idea how much the Little Rascals were paid? I'm sure they made a lot more money than most adults but I've wondered if they were paid like movie stars (The Three Stooges, say) or just "good money for the day". Reading about Jackie Coogan and Shirley Temple* and other child stars, I've wondered if any of them at least got a college education or a down payment on a house out of it. (Of course long after Jackie Coogan many child stars wind up without a pot.)

*My understanding is Shirley wasn't left as broke as Coogan, but wasn't anywhere near as wealthy as she should have been due to her parents' lifestyle and bad investments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    Here's a pic of Alfalfa from a 1955 TV Guide article where they re-united the Lil Rascals :
    Carl ended up pretty handsome!
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

I just read the account from the eyewitness. I had always heard the urban legend that Carl was a police officer. That must have started with the story that he bluffed his way in with a badge?
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

I wonder whatever happened to his wife and kid. It must have been very hard on them after he died.

Quote Originally Posted by STRAIGHT View Post
    I wonder whatever happened to his wife and kid. It must have been very hard on them after he died.
    Financially perhaps, but from the sounds of him (mean, violent, and unstable) unless he was a lot different at home it may have been for the best.

Robert Blake (who's not dead himself, though he is a carrier) said when he was a Little Rascal his dad, an out of work actor/writer himself, beat him constantly and made him eat out of a dog dish, largely due to jealousy of his success. If true I'm sure had much to do with the way Blake turned out. Blake is famously confrontational and violent and apparently so was Alfie- I wonder if they ever duked it out. (Alfie was a little older but I'm sure they ran into each other here and there.)
    Last edited by Sampiro; 09-04-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Child abuse is the beginning of all evil in this world. Love your kids and if you don't have a loving personality then please don't have any.

I didnt know Alfalfa was a freemason. Thats very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    I didnt know Alfalfa was a freemason. Thats very interesting. Thanks for the info.
    Probably killed that guy to keep the news about Jesus and Mary Magdalene's baby from spreading. (Unless... perhaps Alfalfa WAS... nah, if anyone was messianic it was Porky.)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Carl ended up pretty handsome!
    for a goofy looking kid..... he was pretty handsome......

I spent all day yesterday sick......so I decided to watch the little rascals/ our gang movies.......... Alfalfa was always my favorite.....it's so sad that he died so young, but he doesn't sound any different form today's Hollywood child actors............ too bad

Wow - I never realized Alfalfa was born on the exact same day as my dad. Then he died exactly 3 months after I was born.

He was kinda cute. Too bad he couldn't have hung around a little longer.

Great thread!

I am a big fan of the late Roy Rogers and I saw Carl in a Roy Rogers
    film or two. I read that Roy Rogers gave Carl work to help him out.
    Sad that the Our Gang kids were not given residuals in those days.
    Darla Hood was another one of my favorites. I read in an interview
    of her where she claimed that she was afraid of "Alfalfa" or Carl.
    She liked Spanky and another boy, I think it was Waldo.

The film industry played down or white washed Carl's death in the past claiming he
    died in a hunting accident. I guess it sounded nicer than the
    truth. Maybe they were ashamed of how they treated Carl?
    Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post

I sure would have!!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Are all of Hal Roach's rascals dead now ?

This is kewl about alfalfa. Wow i am trippin on his death
    Last edited by Forever-27; 09-20-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Robert Blake (born Michael James Vincenzo Gubitosi) hasn't assumed room temperature yet. He played a Rascals / Our Gang character by the name of Mickey Gubitosi.
    The Strange Case Of The Missing Corpse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-GmH8eFJFU

Mrs. Peel (commenting on Steed's sword): "That looks a bit droopy." Steed: "Wait until it's challenged."

Quote Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
    Financially perhaps, but from the sounds of him (mean, violent, and unstable) unless he was a lot different at home it may have been for the best.

Robert Blake (who's not dead himself, though he is a carrier) said when he was a Little Rascal his dad, an out of work actor/writer himself, beat him constantly and made him eat out of a dog dish, largely due to jealousy of his success. If true I'm sure had much to do with the way Blake turned out. Blake is famously confrontational and violent and apparently so was Alfie- I wonder if they ever duked it out. (Alfie was a little older but I'm sure they ran into each other here and there.)

(who's not dead himself, though he is a carrier)

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Robert Blake (born Michael James Vincenzo Gubitosi) hasn't assumed room temperature yet. He played a Rascals / Our Gang character by the name of Mickey Gubitosi.

I thought I read that somewhere but couldnt remember where it was so long ago. Blake played a bully on the shorts I think. Hard to believe he was later aquitted of killing Bonnie Blake.