Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex Warrant Singer: Jani Lane

Quote Originally Posted by newhag81 View Post
    That's what I've been wondering, JudyAnn. I'm going to assume that he had a home in LA and didn't need to live a room at the Comfort Inn. I'm sure more will be revealed within the next few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Paula, stephen pearcy ?
    Man I thought Stephen Pearcy was SOOO hot back in the Round and Round video days. Now I think he's disgusting.

and those are some damn good waffles at the Comfort Inn.

AllyTheHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Man I thought Stephen Pearcy was SOOO hot back in the Round and Round video days. Now I think he's disgusting.
    I just looked at a recent photo of him and ... Good Lord, what happened to him?!

I used to think Tom Keifer (from Cinderella) was gorgeous back then, but after seeing Stephen and Jani, now I'm afraid to see what Tom looks like.

This is probably why I've never gotten into the whole 80s revival/nostalgia tours. I understand that many people are still willing to pay to see these guys, money is money, and everyone needs to make a living. But these were the crushes of my youth. I remember them a certain way and that's how I want it to stay.

I found this great video of Jani performing "Heaven" live with Warrant back in 1990. I think he looks good here (black eye and all), and I had actually forgotten how good his voice could sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1MeazrV2qk

AllyTheHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowergrrl View Post
    Whah? Poison was HUGE back in the day. Not many metal bands had the wide range of fans they did. I don't think Warrant was ever at their status, but they were popular at the time.

They all fell when Grunge came around.
    The way I remember it, Poison were huge ... second maybe only to Motley Crue. Warrant just caught the tail-end of the whole "hair bands" era -- they didn't even release their debut album until 1989. They enjoyed brief rock-star status during 1990, in 1991 Nirvana released "Nevermind" and by 1992, Warrant were dropped from their record label and slithered into obscurity along with all the other hair bands. I didn't even remember who the Bulletboys were until Forever27 mentioned them! hehe They really weren't that big -- I think they had only one hit.

I think what Forever27 was talking about is that when the backlash came, all these bands (whether they were huge acts like Poison or virtual one-hit wonders like the Bulletboys) were lumped into one category ... pretty, self-indulgent boys who were famous more for their tight pants and coiffed hair than any real musical talent ... which most of them probably were.

Because of my age, I straddled both eras. The 80s were my teen years and grunge my early twenties. I remember that what seemed soooo cool when I was seventeen (Aqua Net, anyone?), had become right down ridiculous by the time I turned 21.
    Last edited by AllyTheHag; 08-13-2011 at 12:46 PM.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Yep. And I remember loving Alice in Chains and going to record store asking if there were any other bands with that sound. I tried to describe it to the guy but I didn't even know what to call it.

rucyco2 Guest
    Wasn't a fan but sorry to hear of his passing.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Didn't he just sing with Great White? Maybe Great White is cursed. Or rather, people around them are cursed.

Forever-27 Guest
    Ally I think is half right.

Dudes didn't go to a concert to see poison or warrant or whatever band... its like " oh wow Iron Maiden is playing with Warrant opening ? We can be buying tour shirts or taking a piss or drinking beer partying in the parking lot, or just miss warrant all together during warrant " and that's how it was. People went to see the Maiden show or whoever was the main act.

I hardly think poison was ever BIG next to motley crue. If any band had even come close to crue id say Guns N Roses. Appatite for Destruction still is the best debut album ever made. Right there with Van Halen 1 or Led Zeppelins first record.. Guns still outsold both bands tho. This is where ally I think is half right about Poison. Guns had talent, Poison had hair and LOTS of lipstick..

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Didn't he just sing with Great White? Maybe Great White is cursed. Or rather, people around them are cursed.
    Jani was singing with Great White as of late. Matter of fact, Warrant and Great White were on a bill here last winter (Dec of 2010 I beleive) and my friends went. Jani was singing lead for Great White. I heard he sounded off.

Its too bad because as I talked about earlier in the thread, when I saw him in 1990, he was at the top of his game. His vioce induced goosebumps. Thats how I want to remember him.

lisalouver Guest
    From Warrants website

We are deeply saddened to hear the news of Jani's passing. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Jani was a very important part of our lives for a long time. We will always be incredibly proud of the music we created together. He was a true talent and will be missed by all of us.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post

and those are some damn good waffles at the Comfort Inn.
    Me, too - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by newhag81 View Post
    Bobbie has just posted some sweet pictures of Jani on her FB page. She's also included pics of his ex and current wife, and his youngest daughter, Madison.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...00001169677229
    I saw those last night. It was nice of her to post pics of Jani. I mean, he was her daughter's father so I suppose she is upset to some degree.

I was totally into hair bands back in the day, but I never really got into Warrant. I only knew who they were because I bought Metal Edge faithfully every month! They had a few good songs, but let's face it - there weren't a lot of cute dudes in Warrant and that's the main reason most teenage girls liked those bands!

I remember when Jani was on Celebrity Fit Club - he looked like hell and seemed sad. I also remember him from some VH1 documentary about metal and that whole era - he seemed particularly pissed but later claimed he was just going through a rough time when he was interview.

I think a lot of those hair band members really thought the gravy train was gonna go on forever. When grunge hit the scene and that kind of music fell out of favor, a lot of them didn't know what the hell to do. So many of them ended up pissed and bitter. It was a really fun era, but I can't imagine how any of them thought they were going to be 50 years old and selling out arenas.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Dam Metal Edge... I had to buy it every month also. I didnt like Hit Parade as much. Metal Edge was the shit

Forever-27 Guest
    Lol me too

Id buy circus mag and Kerrang!

What a way to waste my money as a teen

stacebabe Guest
    I don't consider it a waste of money. In fact, all the pictures in those magazines made for very cool wallpaper in my teen years.

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    Warrant sold over 10 million albums....someone had to love them.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by In a Sea of Sorrow View Post
    Not necessarily. Especially not back then.

The Lucky One Guest
    This isn't really the time, but this cracked me up. Sorry. Good luck with the routing.
    lol so funny

MotleyCrue Guest
    Hairspray was in ..... but seriously I was 16 or 17 when warrant was quote BIG. I was at a hard rock / metal radio station , playing songs and giving away concert tickets at kvhs 90.5 fm here. I never once knew a guy or serious musican that liked these bands. Christ guys only went to see bands like poison or warrant for the rocker girls that would go. The arenas were a sea of horny teenage guys lol.

Ronnie Dio once put frankly, " all the 80s bands saw grunge coming and took it as a passing fad but grunge hit so hard and quickly it left the hair era in the dust. They were all surprized that hair bands who were selling out 70,000 seat stadiums by 1993 were lucky to get gigs at county fairs " he was so right.

Guys in the 80s hair bands with the spandeand massive hairspray and lipstick are now the butt of peoples jokes , like disco was a decade ago.

The radio station I was at was sent by the record company copies of poisons " look what the cat dragged in " album to start playing as a new band before it was put out in stores. I remember my program director saying " thoes chicks are kinda hot " when he first saw the album cover. I leaned over to his desk and whispered "thoes are dudes " ... he said he was going to the bathroom to go puke and left.
    But you have to admit. The hair bands are still touring and grunge went out and has never been heard of again. Thank God

stacebabe Guest
    *Groan* Everytime I look at this thread, I see that video and hear Cherry Pie all over again. That's not a good thing. Not saying he didn't have a good voice or whatever, but I just was NOT a fan outside of 1 song.

Not necessarily. Especially not back then.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Exactly. That was a huge song & people were buy an entire record for the one song. I keep hearing it too! And that stupid face!

Forever-27 Guest
    Hey, the girl in the video was a hottie , id mute the Tv and watch the vid for her

The Lucky One Guest

Talking

Hey, the girl in the video was a hottie , id mute the Tv and watch the vid for her
    Indeed! She was very attractive!

Exactly. That was a huge song & people were buy an entire record for the one song. I keep hearing it too! And that stupid face!
    Yeah this was before downloading music. Hair rock was also album oriented not many singles were released. Also there were not the endless options for hearing different music and bands that there are today. MTV and Radio were most peoples only options for hearing or learning about bands and it shit was pushed into heavy rotation and marketed widely. If you liked the shitty band they told youto like you had to buy the album to hear more of them. I remeber as a teen I was always pissed when I bought a shit album from a band with one good song. It was like gambling your allowance money.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Yeah this was before downloading music. Hair rock was also album oriented not many singles were released. Also there were not the endless options for hearing different music and bands that there are today. MTV and Radio were most peoples only options for hearing or learning about bands and it shit was pushed into heavy rotation and marketed widely. If you liked the shitty band they told youto like you had to buy the album to hear more of them. I remeber as a teen I was always pissed when I bought a shit album from a band with one good song. It was like gambling your allowance money.
    hahaha! yes! I felt that way too.

pvezz Guest
    hahaha! yes! I felt that way too.

I did, too - lol

Forever-27 Guest
    I think I saw warrant once, with Whitesnake. As an opening band.

But then who gave a damm about Warrant. I think I saw maybe the last 10 minutes of them. I was probably buying a Whitesnake tour shirt or something. I went to see Whitesnake. That was at Cal-Expo ampatheater in Sacramento before they tore it down.

The Lucky One Guest
    I think if it weren't for Tawny Kitaen, Whitesnake wouldn't be near as known

RaRaRamona Guest
    Maybe. Whitesnake had quite a career before her, but that video sent them over the top.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MotleyCrue View Post
    But you have to admit. The hair bands are still touring and grunge went out and has never been heard of again. Thank God
    lol. Not on the west coast. We still love our grunge. And I haven't hear Cherry Pie since I was in high school, same goes for a Motley Crue song. Unless I'm watching Behind the Music. But when it was popular, I cranked that sh**. Crue, that is. Can't say I liked Warrant. But there are other areas that still dig what you call grunge too, we just call it 90's alt rock: Austin, Texas, New York City, Washington and Oregon still play and enjoy the hell out of grunge. But I know New Jersey peeps love their Bon Jovi, Springsteen, and hair bands. It's just about what you like.
    Last edited by qulevergrrl; 08-13-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Forever-27 Guest
    Great music died around 1991 sometime IMO. I quit listening to new music around that time. It all changed for the worst. The last new album I think I ever bought was Dr Feelgood by Crue.

Whitesnake had been around since 1977, and david Coverdale was already know for his work with Deep Purple.

lisalouver Guest
    Saw Whitsnake last year at an outdoor festival. It was free, and Coverdale looked old, bloated and like he had been in a tanning booth for a few years. His hair was red, which I thought odd. He sounded ok, but nothing like in his heyday.

I think a lof of those guys have fallen and Jani was no exception. Its a sad thing, but none of them can last forever.

I liked what Sebastian Bach wrote, it sounds like it was from the heart and I think he could really relate to much of what Jani probably went through.

knothere Guest
    Jani Lane Banned from L.A. Hotel Weeks Before Death

Jani Lane
    had been frequenting L.A. area hotels in the weeks before he died -- and trashed one of his rooms so badly, that he was BANNED from the hotel ... TMZ has learned.

Sources tell us Lane had been kicked out of the Hilton Woodland Hills sometime in the last month -- after hotel employees noticed that he had torn his room apart.

We're told Jani was "not rude" about the situation -- and understood why he had to leave.

Lane, we're told, had recently earned a reputation in the area for trashing his hotel rooms -- one source tells us he had been kicked out of multiple places within the last few weeks of his life.

As TMZ first reported, Lane died at a Comfort Inn hotel in L.A. on Thursday evening. Investigators have not released an official cause of death ... but report that a half-bottle of vodka and prescription drugs were found in the room.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Wow he was going down fast.

colorista Guest
    Man, that must've been one hell of a bender he was on...

I was one of those teenage girls who lived and died for hair rock bands. My favorite was Winger. Those guys went into the LA hair scene with eyes wide open -- they put their high-arching musical aspirations on hold, dumbed down their music, fluffed up their hair, went in to make a few million in record sales and have a party for as long as it would last, and that's exactly what they did.

I saw a lot of those bands in concert -- Bon Jovi, Poison, Great White, Winger, Warrant, Whitesnake, Extreme, Ratt, Kiss...I've forgotten more. It was everything a teenage girl could want -- and it was my gateway drug into bands like Queensryche and Dream Theater, which bridged the gap into real metal.

But I've also seen Kip Winger play a solo acoustic show, and holy hell was it great. His post-Winger stuff has been touching and ethereal. They reunited recently for a new album release, and it's one of their better ones, next to Pull. They even poke fun at themselves for their late-80s era with the song "Deal with the Devil."

They never had any false impressions about their fame or fortune; they were sad to see it go when grunge hit the scene, but they knew their time was limited. And I respect them deeply for that.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I liked Dream Theater.

stacebabe Guest
    Wasn't he a bit long in the tooth to still be trashing hotel rooms?

Mammy Guest
    Sad to hear of his passing, even though the only song I liked of theirs was "Heaven." I hated that stupid "Cherry Pie" song with a passion. He sure didn't age well, but then again most of them don't. Tawny Kitaen was mentioned upthread. Has anyone seen pictures of her in the past few years? She looks like something the cat coughed up! I also can't help but wonder what a 47 year old man got out of trashing motel rooms?

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by colorista View Post
    They never had any false impressions about their fame or fortune; they were sad to see it go when grunge hit the scene, but they knew their time was limited. And I respect them deeply for that.
    I saw an interview once with Winger where he said that he knew the ride was over when they saw Beavis and Butthead and Butthead was wearing a Winger T-shirt.

How tough is that - having the death knell to your career sounded by Beavis and Butthead? (heh heh heh ... heh heh ... heh heh heh)

lisalouver Guest
    Im not so concerned with why he was trashing hotel rooms, but rather WHY he was frequenting them? Doesnt he have a place to live? Was he just going to the hotels to get drunk and dope up?

I dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by In a Sea of Sorrow View Post
    I <3'ed man Uncle Tom's cabin is sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    I saw an interview once with Winger where he said that he knew the ride was over when they saw Beavis and Butthead and Butthead was wearing a Winger T-shirt.

How tough is that - having the death knell to your career sounded by Beavis and Butthead? (heh heh heh ... heh heh ... heh heh heh)
    OMG I forgot about that lol

Forever-27 Guest
    Butthead had an AC/DC shirt , Beavis had a Metallica shirt

Stewart had a winger shirt

AllyTheHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Im not so concerned with why he was trashing hotel rooms, but rather WHY he was frequenting them? Doesnt he have a place to live? Was he just going to the hotels to get drunk and dope up?

I dont get it.
    I wondered the same thing. It doesn't make much sense that he was frequenting hotels in one specific area. I could understand if he was staying at hotels in different cities (touring). I thought the same thing you did, either he was homeless or he shared a home with someone and didn't want this person to know what he was up to ... or TMZ's shady 'sources' are full of it!

LadyHHH Guest

RIP Jani Lane

I have to admit...I bought into the whole "hair" metal time...Loved Poison, GNR, Crue, Whitesnake...Poison n Britney Fox was my first concert where they filmed the "Ur momma don't dance" video in Nashvegas...liked Warrant but wasn't gaga over them...still hate to see anybody burn out like that

Me too...sort of

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDeathy View Post
    wow, this is a shock, heaven was playing on the radio when i lost my cherry, i still play it now when i want to remember my first
    "Heaven" was "our" song, too (my high-school sweetheart & I were each other's first), though our first time was out in his backyard (thus sans the ambience of big-hair-rock emanating from a boom box, car radio, etc.).
    What was creepy for me was that I heard "Heaven" on the radio the night before JL was discovered dead. And XM/Sirius (at least the stations I listen to) rarely rolls that song, so I was like, "Hey! Chuck! Aw."
    Does that ever happen to anyone else? (hear a song for the first time in ages...then seemingly right away, the artist kicks the bucket) Creepy...
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Huh huh...huh huh...

Butthead had an AC/DC shirt , Beavis had a Metallica shirt

Stewart had a winger shirt
    Heh! Love it. Metallica was once interviewed about all the Winger-slamming (not just by Beavis & Butthead/Mike Judge, but I think Metallica made a Winger dartboard and featured dart-throwing in one of their music videos). The guys acknowledged that Kip Winger is talented (albeit cheesy) and that he's always been a good sport about the digs made at him/his music.
    I loved me some Winger back in the day.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Elizabeth Guest
    I feel bad for the family and friends of Jani, but I was not a big fan.....

As for hair bands, I loved them (and still do).....I especially love me some Poison (Bret!!) and see them every time they roll around.....but pop music runs in cycles, and hair bands did in the mid to late 80's, until grunge came along, which in my humble opinion only spawned Kurt Cobain as a lasting legacy.....nostalgia tours are prevalent in every genre, and thankfully so.....otherwise how would younger generations learn the music they never hear on the radio?

DeeD Guest
    Sad to hear he died. I hate when they say accidental overdose though.. it was no accident they took drugs and or drank in a lethal dose. It was a choice they made.. a bad one but a choice none the less.

Fancynancy Guest
    I was never a Warrant fan, but I did like I Saw Red.

Back in March I went to see Slaughter and Jani was supposed to be the opening act. A week before the show, he backed out. I was pretty bummed because A) I always liked Warrant, and B) I'm slightly ashamed to admit I wanted to see how bad he looked. Back in college, a classmate of mine saw Jani play at a small club and apparently he was a mess. According to my friend, he refused to play "Cherry Pie" and just wanted to talk about his divorce and kept trying to bum cigarettes off of audience members.

That said, I'm truly saddened that he ended up like this. He was extremely talented.

On a side note, Mark Slaughter actually looks pretty good these days.