Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ex Warrant Singer: Jani Lane

Forever-27 Guest
    Yea, winger with their only one hit wonder song 17

" she's only seventeen .... " whatever the hell it was. It was their claim to fame. Kip winger faded into oblivian.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Kip winger faded into oblivian.

Faded? Never had a clue who this guy was in the first place. Although I have heard of Warrant, had no clue who Jani Lane was either...probably because I was never a hair band fan at all. Hope JL will RIP though.

mrsunshine Guest
    Wow growing old sucks.Everybody looks like such crap as they age....especially if you havent seen them in a long time.
    I cant seem to grasp the joy of this.

then again some old 47 year old dusty fart singing "Cherry Pie" would have seemed sort of creepy, kind of like when 64 year old madonna wheels herself onstage singing "like a virgin"

Rest in Chaos.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyTheHag View Post
    The way I remember it, Poison were huge ... second maybe only to Motley Crue. Warrant just caught the tail-end of the whole "hair bands" era -- they didn't even release their debut album until 1989. They enjoyed brief rock-star status during 1990, in 1991 Nirvana released "Nevermind" and by 1992, Warrant were dropped from their record label and slithered into obscurity along with all the other hair bands. I didn't even remember who the Bulletboys were until Forever27 mentioned them! hehe They really weren't that big -- I think they had only one hit.

I think what Forever27 was talking about is that when the backlash came, all these bands (whether they were huge acts like Poison or virtual one-hit wonders like the Bulletboys) were lumped into one category ... pretty, self-indulgent boys who were famous more for their tight pants and coiffed hair than any real musical talent ... which most of them probably were.

Because of my age, I straddled both eras. The 80s were my teen years and grunge my early twenties. I remember that what seemed soooo cool when I was seventeen (Aqua Net, anyone?), had become right down ridiculous by the time I turned 21.
    Honestly, I can't say anything, I haven't listened to Poison since 8th grade. The guy I liked made fun of the music I listened to... Soon after I started listening to Thrash and other metal. Motley Crue and RATT lasted the longest.

The Poison show I went to was the craziest out of all of them. Fanwise that is. The kind of show you go to where girls are constantly passing out, and the rest are on their boyfriend's shoulders showing boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Yep. And I remember loving Alice in Chains and going to record store asking if there were any other bands with that sound. I tried to describe it to the guy but I didn't even know what to call it.
    I don't think anyone ever had a sound similar to them.

A lot of people still don't consider them Grunge.

RaRaRamona Guest

" she's only seventeen .... " whatever the hell it was. It was their claim to fame. Kip winger faded into oblivian.
    That song was a favorite of mine. Only years later did I realize how freakin creepy it is.

Forever-27 Guest
    I never got why girls got so taken by guys in assless chaps , makeup and looking like one of the bad guys from The Road Warrior. How attractive could that be for girls to be backstage groupies for ? The hairband years was a weird era. 1981-1991

Mrsunshine you have a way with words. Your post made me cough on my cigarette. Friggin classsic ! A real gutbuster

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    I don't consider it a waste of money. In fact, all the pictures in those magazines made for very cool wallpaper in my teen years.
    Me too!... I loooved Metal Edge. And Metal Maniacs for all my Death metal. I had to have it as soon as the new one was out. When I was finished with them there wasn't much left.

At one time, pretty much every inch of my walls were plastered with photos and posters I had ripped out. Now THAT was some eye candy. Of course some of my friends would make fun of me for having "girls" posted on my walls... HaHAAA!

lisalouver Guest

Winger had a lot more songs than 17.. Headed for a Heartbreak, Miles Away, Easy Come Easy Go..and those were just the hits everyone heard on the radio.

Kip is a counselor for the Rock Fantasy Camp, of which Kelly Keagy (of Night Ranger), Jack Blades (of Night Ranger) Roger Daltry, Steven Tyler and Todd Rungren participate (to name a few)

He also is one of the very few rockers from that era that looks better now than he ever has.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Love Headed for a Heartbreak. A lot of them still look good.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    "Heaven" was "our" song, too (my high-school sweetheart & I were each other's first), though our first time was out in his backyard (thus sans the ambience of big-hair-rock emanating from a boom box, car radio, etc.).
    What was creepy for me was that I heard "Heaven" on the radio the night before JL was discovered dead. And XM/Sirius (at least the stations I listen to) rarely rolls that song, so I was like, "Hey! Chuck! Aw."
    Does that ever happen to anyone else? (hear a song for the first time in ages...then seemingly right away, the artist kicks the bucket) Creepy...
    Actually yes, and it's weird when it happens.

Jacksmum Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Holy hell - check out the pic of him with Steven Adler - if that is not photographic proof of why one should not do drugs - DAMN.

RIP, Jani.

I was thinking the same thing!

stranger_than_strange Guest
    RIP Jani your one I didn't expect to go.
    Funny though I was talking to my kids about music i listened to as a seen and dug out a never played Cherry Pie 45 and put it on about an hour before I heard he was gone. I'm not going to play anymore old vinyl in case someone like Slash or Jagger pop their clogs

I am taking that Jani & Bobbi had a messy divorce? I guess I need to look into it a little more, I know there are two sides.

I feel really sad for his girls, losing you Dad when you are young is something that effects you for the rest of your life. Accidental is just a way of making it sound better in my opinion. I think he was tired.

\m/ Forever ...
    My Posse's On Broadway

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    I am taking that Jani & Bobbi had a messy divorce? I guess I need to look into it a little more, I know there are two sides.

I feel really sad for his girls, losing you Dad when you are young is something that effects you for the rest of your life. Accidental is just a way of making it sound better in my opinion. I think he was tired.

\m/ Forever ...
    I agree about JL being tired, Shejay. I think the addicted and sick artist can only hold on for so long. I don't necessarily think they WANT to die. I think they just get so tired of trying. Tired enough to not care. Success to an artist is what they thrive and live for....when that is taken away, unfortunately they spend the rest of their days trying to rekindle that connection to the audience and most times, it is just NOT there.

No one grows up thinking "I want to be addicted to something!!" now do they? If he was drinking on benzo's, well, that is just dangerous as hell.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
    Back in March I went to see Slaughter and Jani was supposed to be the opening act. A week before the show, he backed out. I was pretty bummed because A) I always liked Warrant, and B) I'm slightly ashamed to admit I wanted to see how bad he looked. Back in college, a classmate of mine saw Jani play at a small club and apparently he was a mess. According to my friend, he refused to play "Cherry Pie" and just wanted to talk about his divorce and kept trying to bum cigarettes off of audience members.

That said, I'm truly saddened that he ended up like this. He was extremely talented.

On a side note, Mark Slaughter actually looks pretty good these days.
    Omigod...Slaughter!! I lived for them! I had the biggest crush on the drummer, Blas! He was soooooo dreamy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post

\m/ Forever ...
    Jani & Bobbi did have a somewhat messy divorce I think. Like I said before, she talked some mad shit about him in some interviews. In her defense, she did say he cheated on her a bunch of times so perhaps she was bitter. Personally, I think they got married because she got knocked up. I remember seeing their wedding photos in Metal Edge (again with the Metal Edge ) and even my 13 year old self knew that marriage wasn't gonna last.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Forever-27 Guest
    Makes me wonder what happpened to vinnie vincent invasion or whatsherface from Femme Fatal or Vixen. All these acts just vanished.

Vinnie Vincent was recently arrested for beating up his wife and having four dead dogs at his house. He looks like utter shite nowadays.

Vixen was on that show "Bands Reunited" - they all basically became moms and housewives I think. According to good ol' Wikipedia, at least one original member is keeping the band alive.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

I totally had the hots for Mark Slaughter BITD. Oh, and if I remember correctly we actually have a Kip Winger thread. *shudder*
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by In a Sea of Sorrow View Post
    I agree about JL being tired, Shejay. I think the addicted and sick artist can only hold on for so long. I don't necessarily think they WANT to die. I think they just get so tired of trying. Tired enough to not care. Success to an artist is what they thrive and live for....when that is taken away, unfortunately they spend the rest of their days trying to rekindle that connection to the audience and most times, it is just NOT there.

No one grows up thinking "I want to be addicted to something!!" now do they? If he was drinking on benzo's, well, that is just dangerous as hell.....
    Addiction to fame is just as bad as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    I had the biggest crush on the drummer, Blas! He was soooooo dreamy!!

hahahaha me too!

Khaos696 Guest
    Some of the comments on here made me laugh my ass off lol, the Madonna at 64 rolling out on stage singing like a virgin especially :-p..

Back to Jani, I heard a story once of him playing a bar here in Michigan, and at the end of his set he just sat there drunk and crying trying to play uncle toms cabin, and he had to keep restarting cause he was a mess due to his dad recently passing away, or some family member..

It's probably a good thing I skipped his solo shows, I was him once when Warrant opened up for Vince Neil at Pine Knob.. Then the other 3 times I saw warrant they had the new guy which sounded like Warrant-okie ....

Khaos696 Guest
    Speaking of Winger, I just went and saw his solo show like a month ago, a friend handed me her phone to take a picture of her and Kip, I was nice and drunk, I hit the button on the camera as I was panning up to take the photo and I got a crotch shot of kip lol, It was a perfect shot, I had to tag it on fb as Kip's Winger lol..

here's me and Kip, I whispered something in his ear about my old guitar player hence the look on kips face..

NewYorkDoll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsunshine View Post
    Wow growing old sucks.Everybody looks like such crap as they age....especially if you havent seen them in a long time.
    I cant seem to grasp the joy of this.

then again some old 47 year old dusty fart singing "Cherry Pie" would have seemed sort of creepy, kind of like when 64 year old madonna wheels herself onstage singing "like a virgin"

Rest in Chaos.

totally.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    Vinnie Vincent was recently arrested for beating up his wife and having four dead dogs at his house. He looks like utter shite nowadays.

Vixen was on that show "Bands Reunited" - they all basically became moms and housewives I think. According to good ol' Wikipedia, at least one original member is keeping the band alive.

really? wasn't one of his wives a hooker who was murdered?

ETA: omg, i looked this up.

to be fair, he wasn't much of a looker to begin with.
    Last edited by NewYorkDoll; 08-15-2011 at 06:05 PM.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaos696 View Post

here's me and Kip, I whispered something in his ear about my old guitar player hence the look on kips face..
    He's still cute! So what did you say?

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post

ETA: omg, i looked this up.

to be fair, he wasn't much of a looker to begin with.

LMHOOO I had forgotten how bad he looked! My first thought when I saw it was, "Who's battered wife is that?"

Vinnie Vincent is awful. I remember reading an interview article in Circus in which he reminisced about his paintsniffing as an adolescence. That and his onstage electrocution explain much of his behavior.
    Hes still not as awful as Gene or Paul.
    Blech.
    Kiss is just awful and only about 1% of that awful is in a good way.
    They were great cosmotolegists and as a youngster I had great sexual fantasies involving Pauls chest hair.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Wow Ich. That made me so uncomfortable I'm going to have to go read Courtney Stodden's twitter feed to cleanse my head of this dirtiness.

stacebabe Guest
    I totally thought the same thing!

[QUOTE/]LMHOOO I had forgotten how bad he looked! My first thought when I saw it was, "Who's battered wife is that?"[/QUOTE]

motherogod Guest
    Did anyone ever hear if Jani had graves disease or another physical issue? He always had the Don Knotts look to me.

I loved hair metal but only liked Warrant, the Kip Winger appreciation thread is a creation of mine! Oh, Kip!

RIP Jani. This didn't shock me as much as when Robbin Crosby of Ratt died. That one hit me in the gut. Hard.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Apparently Missy Elliot announced she has Graves Disease recently bc all I am finding are mentioned of her and his death notice, together.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Makes me wonder what happpened to vinnie vincent invasion or whatsherface from Femme Fatal or Vixen. All these acts just vanished.
    One of the girls from Vixen is married to Steve Vai... Can't remember which one though.

I love Lita's song with Ozzie. (I know, off topic, but since the ladies of metal was mentioned). Also, the band that did 'Wish You Were a Beer'.

Quote Originally Posted by motherogod View Post
    Did anyone ever hear if Jani had graves disease or another physical issue? He always had the Don Knotts look to me.

I loved hair metal but only liked Warrant, the Kip Winger appreciation thread is a creation of mine! Oh, Kip!

RIP Jani. This didn't shock me as much as when Robbin Crosby of Ratt died. That one hit me in the gut. Hard.
    I was totally shocked. I found out about his death on here.

Not everyone with Grave's disease gets that "pop eye" look. I have it, and don't.

[QUOTE=RaRaRamona;1188319]Addiction to fame is just as bad as anything else.

I so agree with you about that. I mean I can't imagine being at the top of his game, money, music, chics, houses - the ability to have anything and everything you want and then BOOM - NOTHING.... It just all disappears.

If you think about that in itself, it is just sad.
    My Posse's On Broadway

NewYorkDoll Guest

LMHOOO I had forgotten how bad he looked! My first thought when I saw it was, "Who's battered wife is that?"

ikr? i lady shrieked when i scrolled down the article and saw that pic.

and the dogs in coffins?? WTF!!!!

that being said, look at this pic of jani....

One of the girls from Vixen is married to Steve Vai... Can't remember which one though.
    wow i didnt know that. I had such a crush on Steve Vai. The way he made his guitar talk was amazing.

Awesome clip/interview of Warrant back in their "hey day".....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL9dG...eature=related
    My Posse's On Broadway

I think the song your looking for is" hey poser i wish you were a beer" by the cycle sluts from hell

Just had to say...

Quote Originally Posted by mrsunshine View Post
    then again some old 47 year old dusty fart singing "Cherry Pie" would have seemed sort of creepy
    HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

"Dusty Old Fart" would be a great name for a tribute band.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Winger had a lot more songs than 17.. Headed for a Heartbreak, Miles Away, Easy Come Easy Go..and those were just the hits everyone heard on the radio.

Kip is a counselor for the Rock Fantasy Camp, of which Kelly Keagy (of Night Ranger), Jack Blades (of Night Ranger) Roger Daltry, Steven Tyler and Todd Rungren participate (to name a few)

He also is one of the very few rockers from that era that looks better now than he ever has.
    Cool. I always liked Winger's "Madeline". LOVE Todd Rundgren. Great songwriter, and a funny dude, too.

lisalouver - here's a second-hand Dennis DeYoung story (no judgment on who's washed-up, but all the 80's-band posts had me laughing). In the 90's a friend of mine worked the box office of Steppenwolf Theatre in Chicago (features actors like John Malkovich, John Mahoney, Gary Sinise, etc.). He answered the phone on opening night of one of their biggest shows (starring Brian Dennehy, I think), and the conversation went like this:

Caller: I'd like two tickets to tonight's show, please.
    My friend: Sorry, we've been sold out for over two months now.
    Caller: I'm Dennis DeYoung, if that helps.
    My friend: (suddenly making mad paper-shuffling sounds in background) Wait - let me check - nope, no more tickets left for Washed-Up Has-Beens, sorry!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

lisalouver Guest
    Cool. I always liked Winger's "Madeline". LOVE Todd Rundgren. Great songwriter, and a funny dude, too.

lisalouver - here's a second-hand Dennis DeYoung story (no judgment on who's washed-up, but all the 80's-band posts had me laughing). In the 90's a friend of mine worked the box office of Steppenwolf Theatre in Chicago (features actors like John Malkovich, John Mahoney, Gary Sinise, etc.). He answered the phone on opening night of one of their biggest shows (starring Brian Dennehy, I think), and the conversation went like this:

My friend: (suddenly making mad paper-shuffling sounds in background) Wait - let me check - nope, no more tickets left for Washed-Up Has-Beens, sorry!
    That is the BEST story, thank you for the laugh!

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    [QUOTE=Shejay;1188675]
    Addiction to fame is just as bad as anything else.

I so agree with you about that. I mean I can't imagine being at the top of his game, money, music, chics, houses - the ability to have anything and everything you want and then BOOM - NOTHING.... It just all disappears.

If you think about that in itself, it is just sad.
    I like how Shaun Cassidy did it: He knew it wasn't going to last forever and he prepared for that. Wasn't an idiot with his money, enjoyed it while it lasted. Shaun is rather a diluted example of your typical "rock star"....but that mentality got him through. Not many bands have the lasting power of the Stones, or AC/DC, ya know.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleRain View Post
    wow i didnt know that. I had such a crush on Steve Vai. The way he made his guitar talk was amazing.
    Me too, I found out who he was when he joined Whitesnake. And, he was the host for HBB, he played his guitar some during it.

So hot. I looked it up, he's married to the bassist from Vixen.

Quote Originally Posted by homerjmitc View Post
    I think the song your looking for is" hey poser i wish you were a beer" by the cycle sluts from hell
    That's them... Cycle Sluts From Hell! I love that song. I was never into female metal bands. And, the Cycle Sluts weren't all girly like the rest of them were... I mean come on, Venus Penis Crusher?! I thought they were so cool.

HBB used to be sooo awesome.

Flowergrrl Guest
    I should add, Vai wasn't a regular host. They had different bands and Riki Rachtman.

DonnaMc Guest
    RIP.

Cycle sluts From Hell and L7 were freakin awesome. I loved them.

thats cool Steve Vai and the bassest from vixen are married. I wonder what he looks like now.. Im scared to look LOL

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    Wow when was that?

Styx still tours, I think. Regardless, I don't think that if I worked a box office I'd be calling anyone a has been.

Oh I thought he was bald now.

Fancynancy Guest

thats cool Steve Vai and the bassest from vixen are married. I wonder what he looks like now.. Im scared to look LOL

I wonder if it's the one that I thought looked a little like Nancy Wilson.

Flowergrrl Guest

Sometimes, I'm scared to look too. I went to see Slayer and Megadeth last year, not really sure what to expect... I think Dave looks better now than he did back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancynancy View Post
    I wonder if it's the one that I thought looked a little like Nancy Wilson.
    She's not the one with the long platinum hair (singer), or the girl with the stripes (guitarist), and the dark-haired girl was the drummer. I don't know which photos have her in them. I think I read she had replaced the original girl.

That really helped, didn't it?! Haha.

BamaDeathHag Guest
    I am so bummed over his death; Warrant was my fave band growing up; my best friend Melissa and I worshipped them, lol. Melissa died in 1993 after she was hit by a drunk driver, and one of the first things that popped in my head when I heard about Jani was that Melissa would meet him at the pearly gates and welcome him in. I know I probably sound kinda corny, but I just remember how much she loved him. RIP Jani.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaDeathHag View Post
    I am so bummed over his death; Warrant was my fave band growing up; my best friend Melissa and I worshipped them, lol. Melissa died in 1993 after she was hit by a drunk driver, and one of the first things that popped in my head when I heard about Jani was that Melissa would meet him at the pearly gates and welcome him in. I know I probably sound kinda corny, but I just remember how much she loved him. RIP Jani.
    Great thoughts..

Maybe he can sing Sometimes she cries (my all time fave of Warrant) to her :

Melissa don't think
    she's pretty no more

Starin at the stars
    through her back screen door

she tried and tried
    to make it all work out

no matter what she does
    she's left standin in the middle of doubt

in a lonely night
    and in the pouring rain you can count on me

melissa don't have
    a lover anymore