Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: London's Burning

maddmatt Guest
    The best thing about this whole rotten mess is that all the people from all around the world on this board are sending their best wishes. I live in Nunhead which is very peaceful but is right between Peckham and Brockley/Lewisham. Over the last few days someone tried to mug me (but failed miserably cos I'm too tight to get mugged lol) and driving home from work me and my mate had bricks thrown at our van. We have a saying over hear "don't shit on your own doorstep" but it seems to me people are taking mahooosive dumps on their doorsteps.

GravesEnd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenB View Post
    Thats where I am in London!! And the building on the corner is now burnt to the ground!
    Damn! You are right in the middle of things. How frightening for you. You probably witnessed a lot of this. Stay safe!

My God, when is it going to end? I have been thinking about you UK hags all day and pray this ends soon with as few injuries to the good guys as possible.

Perdi Guest
    Millwall and Charlton Football fans are protecting Eltham High Street while chanting 'NO ONE LOOTS US' They are the sort of people who would usually be causing trouble that I would be slagging off to high heaven....but credit where it's due, they are standing up for their community (for a change) and they're not gonna take any shit!!!!!

http://twitpic.com/63k6tg

DrDeath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    From an article on MSNBC:

"A final thought. One reporter pointed out that in Clapham where the shopping area had been picked clean, the only shop left unlooted and untouched was the book shop."

What a fecking surprise.....what a completely farcical situation. We Northerners were feeling all smug this morning cos we've not had trouble. Trust the Mancs!

Just seen a woman in London having to watch her childhood home burn to the ground. Her mother got out ok thank God but that was horrible to see. And for what? This is an excellent article which I urge you to read.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ka...uses-for-them/

gemini33 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post
    From an article on MSNBC:

"A final thought. One reporter pointed out that in Clapham where the shopping area had been picked clean, the only shop left unlooted and untouched was the book shop."

LOL! If I was going to loot, the book shop is the first place I'd hit!!

heaven01uk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    Millwall and Charlton Football fans are protecting Eltham High Street while chanting 'NO ONE LOOTS US' They are the sort of people who would usually be causing trouble that I would be slagging off to high heaven....but credit where it's due, they are standing up for their community (for a change) and they're not gonna take any shit!!!!!

I don't normally think much of Millwall fans to be honest but good for them.

Hez Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath View Post
    What a fecking surprise.....what a completely farcical situation. We Northerners were feeling all smug this morning cos we've not had trouble. Trust the Mancs!

Just seen a woman in London having to watch her childhood home burn to the ground. Her mother got out ok thank God but that was horrible to see. And for what? This is an excellent article which I urge you to read.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ka...uses-for-them/
    This is so true, but sadly I doubt things will change. This should be a huge wake up call but once again excuses will be made that these riots are due to poverty and class difference. Bearing in mind most of it has been organised on mobile phones I do wonder quite what we class as poverty these days!

Perdi Guest
    Found this You Tube video showing what's been going on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tksGLpkq2gA

JudyAnn Guest
    Sending out well wishes and prayers for all of the FAD boarders and their families. Thinking of you.

I have an aunt who lives smack dab in London proper and got an email that she is fine, but staying off the streets. Can anyone tell me if the Hyde Park area has been the site of riots? Aunt seems to think the riots are further out...

Just talked to my mum and enquired if she had any immediate family in Manchester. She has a cousin in the Manchester suburbs, but no one in the city. She said that hopefully it wouldn't spread to the smaller towns, although Blackpool would be the next larger town to Fleetwood. She was watching the live feed on BBC's website. She said what was so senseless to her was the fact that all of these people are rioting and destroying shops in their own neighborhoods.

Then again, its apparent that common sense went out the window a long time ago.

Prayers out to all of you that are in the middle of all of this.
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

heaven01uk Guest
    Theres trouble in Leicester now this guy is a BBC reporter in the city covering it, he's posting whats happening and pictures to his twitter account http://twitter.com/#!/jlampon.

Seems like police have it under control so far here, hopefully that will remain the case.

Perdi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post
    Just talked to my mum and enquired if she had any immediate family in Manchester. She has a cousin in the Manchester suburbs, but no one in the city. She said that hopefully it wouldn't spread to the smaller towns, although Blackpool would be the next larger town to Fleetwood. She was watching the live feed on BBC's website. She said what was so senseless to her was the fact that all of these people are rioting and destroying shops in their own neighborhoods.

Then again, its apparent that common sense went out the window a long time ago.

Prayers out to all of you that are in the middle of all of this.
    Fleetwood and Blackpool kind of run into each other as towns go (I used to live about 10 miles from Blackpool years ago, so know the area very well!). It's a good hour up the motorway from Manchester, so any problems in Manchester won't affect it at all. I know a lot of people in Blackpool and no reports of any trouble have come through. Nearest city to Blackpool is Preston, and there's no problems there just now as well. I have a friend that works for Lancashire Police in Preston, and she's just left the station there and confirmed there's no disturbances in Preston. Hope that helps!

Perdi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyAnn View Post
    Sending out well wishes and prayers for all of the FAD boarders and their families. Thinking of you.

I have an aunt who lives smack dab in London proper and got an email that she is fine, but staying off the streets. Can anyone tell me if the Hyde Park area has been the site of riots? Aunt seems to think the riots are further out...
    Hyde Park is right in the middle of town, North of the river, but has been pretty much out of it. Nearest pockets of problems would be the small issues in Oxford Circus which were over fairly swiftly, and then problems in North London like Islington etc, but nothing within a good couple of miles I would say.

Fleetwood and Blackpool kind of run into each other as towns go (I used to live about 10 miles from Blackpool years ago, so know the area very well!). It's a good hour up the motorway from Manchester, so any problems in Manchester won't affect it at all. I know a lot of people in Blackpool and no reports of any trouble have come through. Nearest city to Blackpool is Preston, and there's no problems there just now as well. I have a friend that works for Lancashire Police in Preston, and she's just left the station there and confirmed there's no disturbances in Preston. Hope that helps!
    It does. Mum felt that there probably wouldn't be problems out that way, but she hasn't lived there since 1964. And I suppose we would have gotten a call from any of my aunties living there by now too. Still, its all very scary to watch and read when you're on the other side of the pond.

Thanks very much for that update!
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

DrDeath Guest
    Sky News' Mike McCarthy is having a very trying evening, bless him, he's one of my faves. Used to be our local news anchor. He's in Manchester. He's had all sorts lobbed at him, his vehicle attacked and all sorts. He's just interviewed one of the hooded, scarved dickweeds. An more inarticulate individual it would be hard to find. Couldn't really say why he was doing it, just kept saying 'money'. He kept swearing instead. It's funny to see someone intelligent, like McCarthy, taking the piss out of these people with words they don't understand.

The Birmingham riot cops look massive!

I miss being in the force on days like this.....

discod Guest
    and still our government are waiting until 9am tmorw to hold a meeting...how about holding it NOW not when everyone has had time to sleep and have their brekkie...this country is falling apart at the seems and I for one at the moment is not proud to be British........surrounded by scum!

mrsr Guest
    Good to hear the rioters don't seem to have gained a foothold in leicester. Attempting to loot a poundstretcher store? Bunch of pathetic bastards!
    Brother in law lives in manchester city centre. Hope things don't get worse up there.

heaven01uk Guest
    Police have done a bang up job here in Leicester so far, youngest person arrested here tonight was 14 years old. Where the hell are his parents!.

Time for me to go bed I hope all stays calm here, stay safe everyone.

GravesEnd Guest
    Damn, even the seagulls are taking advantage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5XQm.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	31403

rucyco2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Opportunist thugs. Unbelievable.
    Spot on

JudyAnn Guest
    Hyde Park is right in the middle of town, North of the river, but has been pretty much out of it. Nearest pockets of problems would be the small issues in Oxford Circus which were over fairly swiftly, and then problems in North London like Islington etc, but nothing within a good couple of miles I would say.
    Many thanks. Are londoners allowed outside or is there a curfew? I'm wondering if a curfew were to be instituted, would the police be able to arrest any scofflaws....those in the streets or is this just not possible.

How frightening for everyone. Continued prayers.

orionova Guest
    My son got to talk to his father earlier today. Everyone there is fine, although his stepmother almost got caught up in some of it while coming home from work. It just boggles my mind that this could happen in Enfield, which is not a deprived area by any stretch of the imagination. My son is just in shock, seeing places he was shopping in just a few weeks ago, looking like a war zone.

A poster earlier said this was due to liberals. How? Labour isn't in power, and despite Nick Clegg, the Lib Dems are virtually powerless. The liberals weren't in power during the 80s riots, either. Save your hate for the looters and arsonists.

deanfan Guest
    It's sickening to see the destruction being done. The gentleman talking about the loss of his furniture store, that survived the wars, was awful. I pray the police will be able to get control of this. To all the Hags in the U.K., stay safe.

desertangel Guest
    Prayin for you London Hags!!

Watching this on the news reminds me of the Rodney King riots AND the Watts riots. Not fun watching entire cities burn and innocent people being clubbed upside the head. Really stretches ones faith in humanity.

Why aren't the decent people in England rising up en masse against the scum? I might have it all wrong, but from the information that is filtering down to me, the decent Englanders are hunkered down, empowering these trash. England stood up to Hitler who was more dangerous than these scabs, why can't England do the same now?
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Hope everyone is okay this morning . A college half a mile from where I live was fire bombed during the night . We are also near an area that had cars set on fire last night . Infact I am just about to cycle through it (or maybe not!) seems like they are just randomly attacking places here around Nottingham . Caning Circus/Basford/St Anns/Meadows/ all rough areas , city centre damage and an area called Mapperly which is a nice area had incidents last night.

String the lot of em up!!
    What 3rd world country do you live in that doesn't allow 'the gays' to marry ?

NineTails20 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Why aren't the decent people in England rising up en masse against the scum? I might have it all wrong, but from the information that is filtering down to me, the decent Englanders are hunkered down, empowering these trash. England stood up to Hitler who was more dangerous than these scabs, why can't England do the same now?

Because, god fucking forbid,their 'human rights' would be breached, and we can't have that.

Scum, the lot of 'em. Pleading poverty and texting on a Blackberry while listing to shitty music on an iPod. My other half is from Croydon, his 80 year old grandfather still lives in the area. He was disabled by a stroke last year, and is still recovering from a nasty fall he took earlier this year. So you can imagine how worried we were when we discovered that the riots were happening pretty near to where he's living.

Right now, my overriding thought is round the little bastards up, ship them off to Afghanistan and use them as target practice for the Taliban.

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Also knife crime is riding high here and the kids dont give a shit who they knife, maim and kill. Never ever thought I would say that I've always felt safer in US (ok, Florida) than in my own country! And my much awaited trip to London to show my kids the Nation's capital next week is looking to be cancelled!

The PM has sent messages out that noone will escape the law. Who the f@cking hell is he trying to kid?! We have no armies, no police, no manpower, no money! Empty threats is all we have here. Welcome to Britain, you dont stand a chance!

DrDeath Guest
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-14471405

Getting seriously out of hand down there.....

I'm thinking the worst is over now. There's nothing left to nick! In response to the above about the British people, there were groups of what the press would call vigilantes in many parts of London last night protecting their streets and homes. Also the social networking sites have been used to organise clean ups. Rather than making the councils pay for it which will cost a fortune in tax hikes. But still....nice to see some spirit.

Where I am we've organised a tea party rather than a riot!

Things do seem quieter now.My son in London wasn't able even to get to the shops last night for food as whole areas were cordoned off.I hope it doesn't flare up again at the weekend though.It certainly won't do much for the tourist industry in the UK !!

except that they are attacking anyone - after all Millwall are a known neo nazi gang :-(

Its weird isn't , a black kid gets shoot , they all get angry about being stopped and searched so kick off , then every colour and piece of trash gets involved. The indians/pakistanis get stopped under terrorism laws I have not seen them kick off like this. Some friend of mine in London have told me the EDL are getting involved , who are supposedly only against Islam , looks like there true colour are coming out now.

discod Guest
    And today we have woken up to three Asian men who were defending their street and property have been mowed down by a car and killed...just terrible...they have the man responsible I just hope he gets life in prison!!
    Everything seems calm today so hopefully the worst is over...the police have also finally been given the go ahead to use water cannons if needed x

Lisamarie Guest
    This has made me so sad.

DonnaMc Guest
    I hope the riots are stopping! Where do these people start trying to clean up and rebuild? So sad.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by discod View Post
    And today we have woken up to three Asian men who were defending their street and property have been mowed down by a car and killed...just terrible...they have the man responsible I just hope he gets life in prison!!
    Well, I guess that kind of puts paid to the whole "Enoch Powell/rivers of blood/ immigration is ruining Beautiful Britain" theory. At least give me credit for being a Yank who actually knows who Enoch Powell was - ok actually the credit belongs to Monty Python and The Now Show.

Did you see the Sikhs on Sky News who banded together to protect their neighborhood? Calm, dignified, and if I were a thug, they would make me think three times before going there. But it scares me to see people like the English Defense League trying to capitalize on this.

heaven01uk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Well, I guess that kind of puts paid to the whole "Enoch Powell/rivers of blood/ immigration is ruining Beautiful Britain" theory. At least give me credit for being a Yank who actually knows who Enoch Powell was - ok actually the credit belongs to Monty Python and The Now Show.

Did you see the Sikhs on Sky News who banded together to protect their neighborhood? Calm, dignified, and if I were a thug, they would make me think three times before going there. But it scares me to see people like the English Defense League trying to capitalize on this.

The EDL are just as bad in my opinion. Last time they came to Leicester they smashed our shops up and attacked people and police. All they want is to cause their destruction.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heaven01uk View Post
    The EDL are just as bad in my opinion. Last time they came to Leicester they smashed our shops up and attacked people and police. All they want is to cause their destruction.
    Yeah I wish we could toss them in a room with the German Neo-Nazis and the American and Italian neo-fascists and let them all have a go at forming a model UN. :-)

havoc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    Things do seem quieter now.My son in London wasn't able even to get to the shops last night for food as whole areas were cordoned off.I hope it doesn't flare up again at the weekend though.It certainly won't do much for the tourist industry in the UK !!
    I was thinking about that too. Things could flare up again over the weekend.

The citizens themselves are going to have to take care of this. Governments are useless now. See U.S.

Its time to start cracking skulls and stop this bullshit. Or its going to flare up all over the planet.

NineTails20 Guest

The night before, Turkish men were out on the streets with baseball bats, ready to belt anyone that went near their homes or businesses.

heaven01uk Guest
    Heres a video of the Manchester Riot police getting some of the little bastards, it made me smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQa8B0xJFzI .

I think here we are waiting to see what happens on Friday. They have been trying to plan a big riot in the city for then. Hopefully it won't happen.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NineTails20 View Post
    The night before, Turkish men were out on the streets with baseball bats, ready to belt anyone that went near their homes or businesses.
    Good for them. But why baseball bats - were they all out of cricket bats?

I tried to buy a baseball bat here in Germany (to play baseball with not for hitting people), and every sporting goods store I tried just laughed me right out the door.

discod Guest

My mum said the same thing.....maybe he was right in his thinking!!

Jacksmum Guest
    Take convicted rioters benefits away

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14474429

DrDeath Guest
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...bed-thugs.html

They've started a fund for him, bless! I've donated a few quid and if you have anything spare I would urge the same. S'only right after all he's been through

They've started a fund for him, bless! I've donated a few quid and if you have anything spare I would urge the same. S'only right after all he's been through

Will do, thanks for the link!

GravesEnd Guest
    Some incredible pictures here. Amazed at how young these looters are. Cameron gives the go ahead to use water cannons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-control.html

Good shout. Just donated to that. Sony have given him a PSP and he's being given a new bike by the looks of things. Hopefully he'll be given enough money to pay his tuition fees and get his family over to see him.

So did things quiet down last night? How's it looking for tonight? I'm not sure what time it is there, I'm thinking right now it's about 8:40pm or so.