Thread: NYC Woman Faints, Fall Onto Subway Tracks

NYC Woman Faints, Fall Onto Subway Tracks

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...QkLRcP03jaOQfO

Evidently she was cut in half. This must have been a horrific scene.

Jeezus...What a friggin mess that must have been.

There's a little bit of space just under the platform lip (at least there is in our subway system) and more than one person has saved themselves but ducking under that as the train enters the station.
    Wonder why this woman didn't make it...

Jacksmum Guest
    OMG, that poor woman. Duster I know what you mean about the platform lip. Not sure NYC has it but if so I'm sure she was so disoriented that why she couldn't save herself.

Reecy Guest
    How sad. May she rest in peace.

Oh, so very, very sad. Must have been absolutely horrific for both the riders on the platform and those on the train.

And it happened in front of a group of schoolkids.

She was so promising and the story is so heartbreaking.

People need to learn to stay away from the edge of the platform.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

a shame, she was cute too.

What a beautiful lady with a bright future ahead. How horrific for everyone there who saw this happen. I can't even imagine witnessing this.
    Cindy

You wouldn't really have been able to actually see though, would you? Even if you were standing there on the platform, you'd see her on the tracks, but once it hit her, she'd be invisible underneath the train.

You might hear something though.

Got Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    You wouldn't really have been able to actually see though, would you? Even if you were standing there on the platform, you'd see her on the tracks, but once it hit her, she'd be invisible underneath the train.

You might hear something though.
    You might be right. Guess it depends where you were standing. Yes, hearing it alone would be awful.
    Cindy

Did she come to after she fainted and fell, before the train hit her? That would be terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Did she come to after she fainted and fell, before the train hit her? That would be terrible.
    It seems as though she did. From the article:

Diallo came to after falling onto the rail bed, and desperately tried to get out of the way of the No. 6 train by scrambling to the area between the north- and southbound tracks.

It said she'd just been to the dentist and the heat index there was over 100 degrees. No surprise that someone would faint in those circumstances.

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgrrl View Post
    It said she'd just been to the dentist and the heat index there was over 100 degrees. No surprise that someone would faint in those circumstances.
    Did they even have heat advisories? Usually in our area, when the heat index is high, they usually issue an advisory not to go out unless absolutely necessary, especially young children, older people, and those with serious medical conditions. Anyone else is advised to increase fluid intake, take frequent breaks, and stay in cool areas.

Subway tunnels in Boston aren't climate controlled. There just isn't a way to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Subway tunnels in Boston aren't climate controlled. There just isn't a way to do it.
    Yeah I don't think any subway tunnels are air conditioned. But they're so far underground they are usually very cool. In really humid weather, when they're crowded, it can get a bit muggy. But I'm not sure how the heat in a subway tunnel could ever get so bad that you'd faint.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Yeah I don't think any subway tunnels are air conditioned. But they're so far underground they are usually very cool. In really humid weather, when they're crowded, it can get a bit muggy. But I'm not sure how the heat in a subway tunnel could ever get so bad that you'd faint.

It could be very bad. I was in Boston the last weekend in April. It was maybe in the low 70's outside. The tunnels were humid and sweltering. I was literally sweating while waiting for a green line train.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Poor lady, this is why I never stand near the edge of the platform EVER.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "I just know I'm not the greatest power on this earth. I didn't create myself, because I would have done a hell of a better job." -Layne Staley

Me too. I would worry about someone bumping into me, or even just losing my balance. Man that must have been terrible to wake up in time to see the train coming.

Arnold Friend Guest
    I work on 77th street and this is my subway stop. I was one of the first people who was let back down onto the platform after this accident- in fact, there were others on the platform waiting for the train who had actually been on the train that hit this woman. Firstly, NY subway tunnels are boiling hot in the summer; the trains emit hot air that has no where to go, and this station in particular is not very far beneath the surface of the sidewalk.
    The police and news where are the platform and they had mta agents throwing buckets of bleach on the tracks. Half of the track was cordoned off bc there was still blood and clothing. people on the train felt the impact, and people on the platform would have seen her fall and would see the impact. Half of her body was on the southbound track, so they would have seen that too...