Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Vic Morrow

That really sours me on John Landis.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Crims thanks for answering my question, I think he should have been made to serve time. He killed three people.

Stu Pidasso Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Crims thanks for answering my question, I think he should have been made to serve time. He killed three people.
    What do you mean? Do you mean that he intentionally killed three people or that his actions unintentionally killed three people? or that he was present when three people were killed?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidasso View Post
    What do you mean? Do you mean that he intentionally killed three people or that his actions unintentionally killed three people? or that he was present when three people were killed?
    Stu, he knew it was dangerous, he was told so, those kids weren't even supposed to be on set that late...so yeah his stupidity killed three people

Stu, he knew it was dangerous, he was told so, those kids weren't even supposed to be on set that late...so yeah his stupidity killed three people
    He attended all three funerals much to the consternation of his victims families.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

6. 06-13-2013, 09:32 PM

I'd have to agree with you as well. He knew it was a dangerous shoot, and he knew those kids shouldn't have been there. So much so that he hid the children and their parents in a trailer whenever someone came to inspect the shoot (the person's name escapes me right now).
    The smartest thing Landis did at that trial was have his buddies (ie. Dan Akroyd) show up to show their support for him. He did horribly on the witness stand, IMO, and I think if he'd not had the support of his "peers", that case could've gone a whole other way.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Everyone has an opinion here, as long as it does not break the rules. And by dissing someone elses opinion, as you have, is hostility, and also disruption of a forum, Rule 6. If you tire rapidly of other people's opinion, please just scroll on by or put that person on your ignore list. Please read FAQ at the top left hand side of any page.
    Hey! Don't take it so personally! The OP made essentially a racist comment ("I hate to say it, but I think if these had been two blonde blue-eyed children, there might have been a much bigger outcry...") and I called them on it. I'll bet that's against the rules. That's just a moral thing to do. Remember we're here to have fun, exchange information, etc., right?

... Back to the subject? Okay.

It's been my experience that when something really awful happens, it's because two or more things happen, altogether or in sequence, to make it happen. Figure that happened here, too? I'm a layman (not in the industry) but it seems to me (1) You shouldn't have a piece of dangerous machinery operating above ANY person (b) If you're gonna break rule number one, shouldn't the people be stunt people? I'll bet some of you can add more.

Benion Guest
    I find it unbelievable he refused to ever get in a helicopter as he was convinced he would die in a helicopter crash...spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by Benion View Post
    I find it unbelievable he refused to ever get in a helicopter as he was convinced he would die in a helicopter crash...spooky.
    I didn't know that. It certainly is spooky.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Benion Guest
    Yes he predicted it according to this...

http://www.aintnowaytogo.com/twZone.htm

I genuinely believe some people can predict their deaths. According to the FAD website Lisa Left Eye Lopez predicted hers too.

Joee Guest
    Haven't read all the entries but cam say that from a pilot's perspective you realize when you're in a low altitude, high power, zero airspeed situation you are in dire straights if you lose an engine or a tail rotor. If there are personnel in the area you try and have a plan if there is catastrophic failure. In my opinion if you are in an out of ground effect hover and lose a tail rotor it's a worse case scenario as you have lost directional control in a high power demand portion of flight relatively close to the ground. Most of the helo drivers I knew agreed that rolling the throttle off is your best chance, but if you're working with troops it will be ugly.
    If I recall correctly the pyrotechnics kicked up debris, some of which struck the tail rotor, this caused the resulting crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    Haven't read all the entries but cam say that from a pilot's perspective you realize when you're in a low altitude, high power, zero airspeed situation you are in dire straights if you lose an engine or a tail rotor. If there are personnel in the area you try and have a plan if there is catastrophic failure. In my opinion if you are in an out of ground effect hover and lose a tail rotor it's a worse case scenario as you have lost directional control in a high power demand portion of flight relatively close to the ground. Most of the helo drivers I knew agreed that rolling the throttle off is your best chance, but if you're working with troops it will be ugly.
    If I recall correctly the pyrotechnics kicked up debris, some of which struck the tail rotor, this caused the resulting crash.
    Don't you auorotate?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Joee Guest
    When you roll off the throttle you'll be auto rotating, however because you have no forward motion in a low altitude hover you'll be in a low energy situation which limits your options; no tail rotor limits your options even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    That's right Joee. They put a little too much boom in the explosives, and debris went everywhere!
    BTW, love your location. I used to be from East bumscrew ohio, so we were practically neighbors!
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

lobosco107 Guest
    Hard to believe it has been 30 years since this tragedy.

[QUOTE=lobosco107;1395992]Hard to believe it has been 30 years since this tragedy.[/QUOT

31 years - July 23/1982. I remember it well. Here's the video in commemoration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6I9Cc9XnE

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    He attended all three funerals much to the consternation of his victims families.
    That doesn't account for him killing three people, sorry Ich he probably did it to make himself look good.

I have watched a lot of death videos and seen a lot of death pictures here on FAD but not one has ever bothered me as much as watching the footage of Vic Morrow's death. The combination of the weird music and graphic crash - it makes me ill. I can't watch it again. It is so burned into my mind that when my family and I were on holiday in California 2 months ago and driving past Six Flags Magic Mountain - my first thought is - that accident took place somewhere close by.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Alycat32 Guest
    Honestly, no matter what footage I watch of it, I can never actually see what happens when, so for me not graphic at all. However I find it absolutely sad and disturbing and agree, the music in some footage is chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by tamiele View Post
    I have watched a lot of death videos and seen a lot of death pictures here on FAD but not one has ever bothered me as much as watching the footage of Vic Morrow's death. The combination of the weird music and graphic crash - it makes me ill. I can't watch it again. It is so burned into my mind that when my family and I were on holiday in California 2 months ago and driving past Six Flags Magic Mountain - my first thought is - that accident took place somewhere close by.
    the Budd Dwyer suicide is way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    the Budd Dwyer suicide is way worse.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Helby View Post
    Another interesting one...footage from the helicopter?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qxsfg8yrTk
    Wow, had never seen the footage of him "rescuing" the kids from the hut before, or the other footage before the accident. That's a cool little video.

35 years ago on July 23rd totally forgot to come here and post a reminder. I didn't know that Jennifer Jason Leigh was his daughter.

So Dan Aykroyd went to bat for him? I'm disappointed in Dan Aykroyd.

I have to agree with this, pretty accurate. Such a tragedy.