Thread: William Conrad- "Cannon"

William Conrad- "Cannon"

William Conrad was born in Louisville, Kentucky. He began his radio career on various California radio stations in the late 1930s. Conrad joined the service during World War II, serving as a fighter pilot. He returned to radio after the war and later took his talent to television and motion pictures.

Conrad had a prolific career in radio. His most famous role was that of Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke, which he portrayed on radio from 1952 to 1961. Though he hoped to continue the role when the show moved to television, producers didnā??t think he looked like a hero, with his balding head and heavy-set physique.

On television his most famous roles are of private detective and gourmet cook Frank Cannon in Cannon (1971-1976) and District Attourney and, later, private detective, Jason Lochinvar "Fatman" McCabe in Jake and the Fatman (1987-1992).

William was married to Tippy Conrad. He had one son, Christopher Conrad
    He passed away in 1994 due to heart failure. Buried at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills in the Lincoln Terrace Plot # 4448. He is surrounded by his fellow TV detectives at this cemetery who are either in the same section or within very close proximity. They include Telly Savalas and George Savalas from "Kojak" (1973) and William Talman, Wesley Lau, and Ray Collins of "Perry Mason" (1957) fame and "Dragnet" (1951)'s Jack Webb

onehunglow Guest
    Yeah he wrecked a Lincoln every few weeks. He was great in Nero Wolf as well, but he didn't wreck any cars.

Even though I was like 5 or 6 years old I can remember thinking to myself "How can a guy that big chase bad guys?"

Danny62 Guest

Conrad and the others were given auditions for Gunsnoke, but they were little more than token efforts--especially in Conrad's case, due to his obesity.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Even though I was like 5 or 6 years old I can remember thinking to myself "How can a guy that big chase bad guys?"
    That and his short legs!!

He did make a hell of a radio Matt Dillon thought with his Deep voice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post

Conrad and the others were given auditions for Gunsnoke, but they were little more than token efforts--especially in Conrad's case, due to his obesity.
    They would have had to change the characters name to "Fat Dillion"

Danny62 Guest
    Chester looks like a serial Killer! I think Georgia Ellis would have made a good kitty though!

Festus needs a thread but he is still alive. Thats sad that im waiting for people to die just to see them on FAD.

Festus needs a thread but he is still alive. Thats sad that im waiting for people to die just to see them on FAD.
    I would have loved to see Howard McNear as Doc.

My mom was a nurse at the resthome for Milburn Stone's mother. She interacted with him many times regarding the care of his mother. My mom said that Milburn Stone was a real class act and treated all the nurses with respect and care. One christmas he gave my mom a beautiful candy jar with the etched image of a horse and buggy.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    I loved that Lincoln he drove.

JefeStone, Festus died years ago.

[QUOTE=Harry in Connecticut;66233]I loved that Lincoln he drove.

That car was perfect for a man of that size and carriage. Picturing him in a Ferrari like Magnum or God forbid a Prius just doesn't work!

ComputerGuy Guest
    I Loved him as Cannon. Would he have been a Great Grandfather? He was a terrififc person I bet

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I would have loved to see Howard McNear as Doc.
    Him and Georgia Ellis should have been carried over from the radio series to TV!

Kathyf Guest
    i loved him in Cannon thats all I really saw him in though.

Kugmu Guest
    [SIZE=3]Iā??m going to guess this was around 1990, so G Bush duh First was President.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]On Cahuenga at Hollywood Blvd is a big sidewalk News Stand - Newspapers & Magazines.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I used to go there on Tuesdays to purchase the Monday UK newspapers to read about [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]that Sundays Formula 1 race. (the internet back then wasnā??t like it is nowadaysā?¦)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]On this day there was a limo stopped, due to the traffic light, in front of the stand and the limoā??s back [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]window was rolled down. People were looking inside to see who was inside. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I overheard people saying that they didnā??t know who it was. Nobody approached the limo.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]When I looked, I recognized a rather dejected looking William Conrad looking back at me. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I sheepishly smiled and gave a quick wave as the light changed and the limo drove away.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Felt kind of bad for him...[/SIZE]

Doug81506 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Yeah he wrecked a Lincoln every few weeks. He was great in Nero Wolf as well, but he didn't wreck any cars.
    Which show did he wreck Lincolns in? I remember in Cannon he always drove a Mark series (III or IV) that was silver with a black vinyl top and a red leather interior (still my favorite color combo for late 60's-early 70's luxury cars) but, I don't remember him wrecking them in that show.
    Last edited by Doug81506; 11-25-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Doug81506 Guest

Isn't the guy on the left Floyd from TAGS? (I should read further down and find out if someone asked the same question.)

Cannon is one of my guilty pleasures. I wish TV Land would re-run the show like they did ten years ago so I can "disc" them. And don't forget.....Conrad was the narrator for the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Doug81506 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    i loved him in Cannon thats all I really saw him in though.
    I think you saw him in other things, but did not recognize him. He was, for example, the original Trixie in the hit series The Honeymooners...that was before his drastic weight gain.

Snoopy Guest
    He really was an interesting actor! Remember on Cannon how he would belly butt the bad guy to knock him down! LOL

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Cannon is one of my guilty pleasures. I wish TV Land would re-run the show like they did ten years ago so I can "disc" them. And don't forget.....Conrad was the narrator for the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

And his work in radio was impressive as hell!!!

Is that Howard McNair (Floyd the Barber on Andy Griffith) on the left? Also the woman looks familiar.
    I had heard the William Conrad and Raymond Burr both auditioned for the TV role of Matt Dillion and that they were both turned down because when they stood up their chair came with them.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GrinReaper Guest
    I was expecting to see Leslie Neilson show up in the guest star credits. LOL

The voice over credit was a trademark of Quinn Martin Productions. They had several shows in that era. The Fugitive, Twelve O'Clock High, The F.B.I., The Invaders, The Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, and Barnaby Jones. Conrad did those voice overs until he started doing Cannon. After that it was the guy who did the voice over for Cannon.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johntrim040851 View Post
    Is that Howard McNair (Floyd the Barber on Andy Griffith) on the left? Also the woman looks familiar.
    I had heard the William Conrad and Raymond Burr both auditioned for the TV role of Matt Dillion and that they were both turned down because when they stood up their chair came with them.
    Yep Howard McNair. He had quite an intense radio background!

Danny62 Guest
    More about Howard:

Although Los Angeles native Howard McNear had a long career on radio and in films, he will forever be remembered for his memorable - and scene-stealing - portrayal of Floyd the Barber in the long-running "The Andy Griffith Show" (1960) (actor Don Knotts once said that playing Floyd wasn't much of a stretch for McNear, as his real personality was pretty much like Floyd to begin with). McNear started his career in radio, where he played Doc Adams in "Gunsmoke" for many years. In films he often played congressmen, hotel managers or other such figures, although he did on occasion play villains. While working on the "Andy Griffith Show" he suffered a massive stroke. After he recuperated he had trouble using his arms and legs, and when he returned to work on the show he was always seen either in a close-up or sitting down (often in a chair outside the barber shop while chatting with Barney and Andy). He died in 1969 in Hollywood.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    I was expecting to see Leslie Neilson show up in the guest star credits. LOL
    I was expecting to see Effalin Zimbalist Jr.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    I was expecting to see Effalin Zimbalist Jr.

Or leatherman! Yes its an inside Joke with me and Death hag chris!! Nothing to do with this thread!! LOL

Nick At Night Parody of Cannon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6phteRZpLtU

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Nick At Night Parody of Cannon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6phteRZpLtU
    That Diet Can't fail!! Look the archive footage of him!!

Yksguy Guest
    I THINK, I may be wrong, but I think William Conrad killed Barbara Stanwyck in Sorry, Wromg Number, and it is his voice that answers the phone at the end with that phrase.

Acc to his death cert, Conrad died from cardiopulmonary arrest, after suffering heart disease for 5 years, he was also in end stage renal disease and had had a peritoneal catheter re-section on 3/1/93. just fyi.

Cannon would not have been successful if Conrad was thin. I think people like seeing a fat guy solving crimes and chasing bad guys.

Jazbabee Guest
    Cannon would not have been successful if Conrad was thin. I think people like seeing a fat guy solving crimes and chasing bad guys.
    I agree Jefe.....and when he had to run, yo0u could tell it was a lot of effort, but it also had some gracefulness (if that's what you call it) about it

Cannon running full steam, gun in hand, down some back alley = poetry in motion.
    Too bad the theme from "Chariot's of Fire" wasn't written yet! LOL

Jazbabee Guest
    Cannon running full steam, gun in hand, down some back alley = poetry in motion.
    Too bad the theme from "Chariot's of Fire" wasn't written yet! LOL
    What a vision that is !!!! ROFLMAO !!!

Danny62 Guest
    He had a great radio voice, especially for Gunsmoke on the radio.

But no way would he have looked good in the TV series.

He claims he was glad he didn't get the part?

But I am sure he was disappointed!

I think a fat sheriff would have been cool but the show probably would not have lasted as long as it did. They could have cast him as the Mayor or a Saloon owner.

Danny62 Guest
    I think a fat sheriff would have been cool but the show probably would not have lasted as long as it did. They could have cast him as the Mayor or a Saloon owner.
    Did you ever see the pics they did of the cast of the radio series! They let all the radio actors audition!

I think the chick would have been okay as kitty!

They shot these at Knotts berry farm...like I said supposedly William Conrad was glad he wasn't picked! Ole Chester looks like he is high, or Drunk!!! LOL

I think Howard McNear would have been okay as Doc.

Fat Dillion! LMAO
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

RoRo Guest
    I always liked him on Cannon and then I watched Jake and the Fatman...mainly because I had a crush on Joe Penny who played Jake.

raymel1 Guest
    I miss his show Cannon, I wonder why its not shown anywhere??

GiantBryan Guest
    I don't know they had Ironsides in a wheelchair.

Bidmor Guest
    Didn't the Gunsmoke producers want John Wayne for the lead? That's what I've heard and the Duke turned it down but suggested a relatively unkown James Arness for Matt Dillion. Wayne did intro the show premiere.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Didn't the Gunsmoke producers want John Wayne for the lead? That's what I've heard and the Duke turned it down but suggested a relatively unkown James Arness for Matt Dillion. Wayne did intro the show premiere.
    You know I think I have heard that as well. I never knew the Duke did the show intro to the premire episode though.

radiojane Guest

I have ziplisted Cannon, but apparently it' s in demand.

Apparently John Wayne was considered for the radio version. but crashed and burned badly behind the mike.

I remember his voice in "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century". He really put you there, if you know what I mean.

Bessolo Guest
    Shouldn't that be "Fatt Dillon"? LOL

As already mentioned, he had a huge career in radio, but what hasn't been brought up is that he was a gourmand which explains his weight! He was also quite an old movie buff and had one of the original Maltese Falcons which his estate sold for some good money.

In the Cannon pilot/first episode, his car was a Lincoln MkIII which did get wrecked. Throughout the series he drove the next generation Mk IV (these were made from 1972-1976)

It's true that he was the announcer on the Bullwinkle show (he spoke very quickly and in a higher than normal register so he's not quite as noticeable). Him and June Foray (Rocky) got on famously and would ad lib up a storm...much of it quite blue! I don't know if any of those outtakes have survived but I'd sure love to hear them. RIP Bill

Bessolo Guest
    Just ran across this, Bill's second and last wife Tipton AKA "Tippy"(widow of Chet Huntley) passed away on Oct. 1, 2010

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=59776551

RIP Tippy

growl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bessolo View Post
    Shouldn't that be "Fatt Dillon"? LOL

As already mentioned, he had a huge career in radio, but what hasn't been brought up is that he was a gourmand which explains his weight! He was also quite an old movie buff and had one of the original Maltese Falcons which his estate sold for some good money.

In the Cannon pilot/first episode, his car was a Lincoln MkIII which did get wrecked. Throughout the series he drove the next generation Mk IV (these were made from 1972-1976)

It's true that he was the announcer on the Bullwinkle show (he spoke very quickly and in a higher than normal register so he's not quite as noticeable). Him and June Foray (Rocky) got on famously and would ad lib up a storm...much of it quite blue! I don't know if any of those outtakes have survived but I'd sure love to hear them. RIP Bill
    Those would be great to hear!! When Cannon was on, we always called the show Detective Fat, but we watched and enjoyed. I love seeing him pop up in some of the film noir pics from the '50's! Always playing a bad guy or grumpy police detective!