Thread: Sada Thompson

Sada Thompson

She was probably most widely known for her role as Kate Lawrence in "Family". She was 83.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/06/ar...-at-83.html?hp

VCNJ~

Man, this has been a bad week for celebrities. RIP Sada.
    Cindy

FannyB1923 Guest
    Seemed like a nice lady. RIP

DonnaMc Guest
    RIP Sada. I used to watch the show religiously and thought Meredith Baxter-Birney was SO COOL. I wanted to be like her (GAG!). Of course, I was young.
    Last edited by DonnaMc; 05-06-2011 at 07:22 AM.

That's two actresses in a row, who loomed large over the stage and then on TV (though their "prime times" were a couple of decades ago by now.). I sure hope there isn't a THIRD--- this week, anyway.

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    This makes me sad.

Like the character of Edith Bunker I always felt "Kate Lawrence" looked so much older than her purported age on Family. Then again, their house on that show (remember, it had a guesthouse in the back and every bedroom (all four of them) had its own bathroom) was appraised at 98k! In Pasadena CA, no less.

Anyway, I will miss her. I watched Family faithfully and wished I lived in that gorgeous 98k house.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    This makes me sad.

Like the character of Edith Bunker I always felt "Kate Lawrence" looked so much older than her purported age on Family. Then again, their house on that show (remember, it had a guesthouse in the back and every bedroom (all four of them) had its own bathroom) was appraised at 98k! In Pasadena CA, no less.

Anyway, I will miss her. I watched Family faithfully and wished I lived in that gorgeous 98k house.
    Also think she was a first choice of the character Irene Lorenzo in
    the sitcom 'All in the Family".

Later played by Betty Garett.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

phirerednga Guest
    Just saw this on FAG, she came into the restaurant I worked in in the late 70's and I was lucky enough to be her server. I remember her as being very sweet and unassuming. RIP

davidbrown Guest
    She and my late mother could've been twins. I LOVED 'Family' and I used to watch reruns of the show. Everytime I saw her I would see my mother. RIP to both...

STsFirstmate Guest
    I loved family and I loved her in the role. She wasn't a huggy Mom housewife. She playeda bright and complex woman.
    Great actress!
    regards,
    Mary

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I loved family and I loved her in the role. She wasn't a huggy Mom housewife. She playeda bright and complex woman.
    Great actress!
    regards,
    Mary

Iwatched that show every week. Back then, I thought she was kind of a chilly mother. I'd really like to see it again and see what my take is on it now.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancynancy View Post
    Iwatched that show every week. Back then, I thought she was kind of a chilly mother. I'd really like to see it again and see what my take is on it now.
    She was chilly and I thought so at the time and would never have wanted to trade her for my Mom.
    I think bright educated and complex doesn't have to equate with "chilly" but they sure did go that way with her character, I agree.
    Great character though and great actress!
    regards,
    Mary

Sorry to see of her passing. The last time I saw her was years ago on a Law and Order episode. She was playing a mom then too who was divided between two sons.

cto69 Guest
    oh i loved family, it was a special part of my childhood, probably because i wished i had such a close family.i never saw reruns of the show i wonder if it holds up today.sada was wonderful i remember seeing the law and order episode also,she was a very talented actress.rest in peace sada

Nicki Guest
    Always loved her acting. Great Lady....very much will be missed.

Outstanding actress!