Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ad Issues

We only serve pop-under ads to guests or members that are not logged in. Those are capped at one per twenty-four hour period, as I recall. No pop-ups are served whatsoever.

Funny...I never get a popup. You are talking about when you roll over a name or thread title?

When I log in I get a poker thingy popping up. But I just delete it.

I have since got another one, but I just click on the X. Doesn't bother me. Tiny price to pay for being a member on this great site of Scott Michaels's.
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-01-2012 at 12:27 PM.

I'm having the same issue. I'm logged in trying to enjoy my account from my iPad and there is this really f*cking obnoxious ad thing at the bottom and after I tap to close it...it comes right back!!!!

HELP.
    "Addiction is a snowball-effect. It can grow to the size of Everest, and this summit has the power to crush a thousand men." - Me.

This one just about made me wet my pants! I'd been watching Knight Rider on Netflix earlier and hadn't turned down the sound. All of a sudden I hear a man and a woman talking and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I scrolled down and came upon this ad. It was a T-Mobile advertisement.

Ok, so, it wasn't letting me upload the screen shot I took, but it was in the Evil Canadians thread, near the bottom right hand side in post #76. It also crashed my adobe flash plug-in. I'll try again later to get the screen shot uploaded.
    Last edited by Pryncis; 08-16-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love. ~ Don Juan De Marco

They're back! I thought I had gotton rid of them!
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

This is the one I was talking about!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love. ~ Don Juan De Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    This is the one I was talking about!
    I'm honored in a dishonorable way, to have my most recent post cited as an example of a "problem ad."

I get the banners too, that's just a way to try to monetize the site and defray the expenses, I even encourage all of you Hags to click on one once in a while if it appears interesting to you, but I also get the "talkies" that start blasting out of the speakers when I don't even see the ad so that I can shut it off.

The banners are what is called CPA (cost per action) Advertising. If you click the banner and complete some action such as entering an email address or a zip code, whatever it asks for; then a commission is paid to the person allowing the ad.

Some of these "problem ads" can be caused by browser add ons, certain toolbars or other "free" options we might have installed within our browsers that track our movements around the web and deliver to us advertising in which we have shown an interest elsewhere, no matter what site(s) we might be visiting now.

That is called "Ad Stalking", because it is a malware that constantly delivers to you ads you might be inclined to click on, even though the site you are currently visiting has no relation to the ad.

I'm not saying that this is the problem here; because I'm meticulous about keeping my system clean and still I'm seeing this stuff; although I haven't seen anything that approached being "objectionable" other than just by being there univited; nothing risque for sure.

Start by making sure that your computer isn't compromised with any ad stalking software, then see where it goes from there.

Malwarebytes (http://malwarebytes.org) is a great free application that cleans up most of the bugs that cause this sort of thing.

Download it, boot into safe mode with networking, update it and run a scan (in SAFE MODE); you might be surprised at what you find.
    Last edited by JimC; 08-16-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: "sited" should have been "cited". Doh!
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I'm honored in a dishonorable way, to have my most recent post cited as an example of a "problem ad."

I get the banners too, that's just a way to try to monetize the site and defray the expenses, I even encourage all of you Hags to click on one once in a while if it appears interesting to you, but I also get the "talkies" that start blasting out of the speakers when I don't even see the ad so that I can shut it off.

The banners are what is called CPA (cost per action) Advertising. If you click the banner and complete some action such as entering an email address or a zip code, whatever it asks for; then a commission is paid to the person allowing the ad.

Some of these "problem ads" can be caused by browser add ons, certain toolbars or other "free" options we might have installed within our browsers that track our movements around the web and deliver to us advertising in which we have shown an interest elsewhere, no matter what site(s) we might be visiting now.

That is called "Ad Stalking", because it is a malware that constantly delivers to you ads you might be inclined to click on, even though the site you are currently visiting has no relation to the ad.

I'm not saying that this is the problem here; because I'm meticulous about keeping my system clean and still I'm seeing this stuff; although I haven't seen anything that approached being "objectionable" other than just by being there univited; nothing risque for sure.

Start by making sure that your computer isn't compromised with any ad stalking software, then see where it goes from there.

Malwarebytes (http://malwarebytes.org) is a great free application that cleans up most of the bugs that cause this sort of thing.

Download it, boot into safe mode with networking, update it and run a scan (in SAFE MODE); you might be surprised at what you find.
    I hope you don't think I meant that your post was the problem! It was the advertisement that just so happened to be attached to your particular post that was a "talkie". I just screen printed the whole page rather than the individual ad. Sorry about that! I don't mind the silent ads and banners at all. I know Scott has to make money. I just don't like the ones with sound as they are very intrusive, especially when you have forgotten to turn down your volume! I didn't think there were supposed to be ads with sound on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    I hope you don't think I meant that your post was the problem! It was the advertisement that just so happened to be attached to your particular post that was a "talkie". I just screen printed the whole page rather than the individual ad. Sorry about that! I don't mind the silent ads and banners at all. I know Scott has to make money. I just don't like the ones with sound as they are very intrusive, especially when you have forgotten to turn down your volume! I didn't think there were supposed to be ads with sound on here.
    I don't think that at all, Pryncis.

I was amused that my post happened to be the one illustrating the "issue".

That sounds pretty obnoxious. I'll see if I can isolate that ad. No ads with sound are supposed to autoplay for members.

Yet they do.

Thanks for your efforts, Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I don't think that at all, Pryncis.

I was amused that my post happened to be the one illustrating the "issue".
    Ok, good, I was worried there for a moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That sounds pretty obnoxious. I'll see if I can isolate that ad. No ads with sound are supposed to autoplay for members.
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks for you help! You really do an awesome job!

It's still happening; and it's usually way down the page in some post I haven't gotten to; so I can't shut it down without scrolling through a bunch of unread posts to find the offender - just so you know.

Okay, I figured out one thing, as far as the banners appearing on my screen. When I browse through online catelogues ads for those items appear here. For instance, I just bought a blouse from woman within and looked at shoes on Nine West and now those shoe items are appearing on the banner. I wonder if that might be happening to ya'll. Maybe hitting on a site with some agravating ad that you might not even notice for whatever reason. Maybe because the site is loud anyway or whatever. And then you come to FAD and voila!

The ads with sound are still happening for me as well. Obviously it's not a problem at home but it is at work. My 'puter is connected to a sound system for office music, so I can't have ANYTHING running that has any sound. Does anyone have any suggestions how to make this STOP? Thanks in advance!

I'm having problems typing. The curser freezes mid word. And it's not my computer, either, because FAD is the only place where it happens. This post is an exception. IDK why, because there's an ad here too. Otherwise I have to type out my post on Works or my virtual post its, copy and paste on a comment box.

^^^ That is what I've been talking about for about 8 months now. I thought it might have been particular to my phone because of it's onscreen keyboard. But apparently not. It's happening right now, in fact. My phone not being rooted, I have no way to take and post a screen shot.

The other thing, the about ads seeming to follow you here from other sites, is because they do. Google Ads and AdSense both place tracking cookies on your computer/phone/whatever to be able to track what you browse and then show you ads that should interest you. Ads thaat interest you = clicks for them which = small amounts of money going to both the ad provider and the hosting site. This one.

And don't worry. Ad tracking software only tracks your retail and site views. It does not store any private information or passwords. But that, in a nutshell is how ad tracking works and how it generates revenue for both the ad provider and this site.

Now about those ads that make posting AND moderating here tedious at best sometimes. Can anything be done about this aggravation, Nick? I'm wondering if it's caused by VB full version being dependant on flash, as are the ads. And if this is causing a conflict somehow? I think it's highly likely though.

Life goes on.

I'll set up a solution this weekend where users will have the option to block any and all ads on the forums. I'm really waiting for a major update to the forum software, and that is promised for later in 2012, so I haven't gone ahead with some of the other work I was going to do this summer. So I'll set up the ad solution this weekend and fancier mobile options and other things are on the back burner.

Thanks a bunch, Nick!

I know that managing this place takes some serious time and ingenuity. Thanks for using yours to help all of us.

Life goes on.

The banner ads completely get in the way of my reading on the forum. Also, when I'm on my iPod, it's difficult to make a post, because the message box keeps freezing up. If you have to make a correction, it could take several minutes to be able to do so. Also, I can't copy and paste ANY link.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenivere2011 View Post
    The banner ads completely get in the way of my reading on the forum. Also, when I'm on my iPod, it's difficult to make a post, because the message box keeps freezing up. If you have to make a correction, it could take several minutes to be able to do so. Also, I can't copy and paste ANY link.
    Heads up: http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...Problem-Solved

I do have an ad blocking plug-in installed, but I started feeling guilty because as much as I use this forum I should help so I've disabled said plug-in on FAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I do have an ad blocking plug-in installed, but I started feeling guilty because as much as I use this forum I should help so I've disabled said plug-in on FAD.
    Heads up: http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...Problem-Solved

You can pay to have the ads and banners removed and the money goes to FAD Forum.

We should change this thread to Funny Banner Ads now. I just saw this gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Good deal, Bids

Life goes on.

This is not a banner complaint. This is actually a kudos to Nick and Scott for choosing the advertisement people they did. I don't know group it is or if it's a special program or what, but what I just saw was awesome. Currently, there is an Amber Alert for a 12 year old female in my area. As I scrolled down the page expecting to see another general advertisement, I saw the Amber Alert instead. I think that's great and a wonderful use of ad space (even though it's not really an ad for anything). Quite impressive!

Thank you. The ads are trying to get me to learn a new language. I agree with them.

Anyone getting a popup saying you have a virus?

The other day and again just now, I've tried to go to a thread and I get a popup saying "Virus detected" and instructing me to "click here". I did a virus scan both times and there is no virus(it's not my virus protection doing the popup). Is this happening to anyone else? Today it was the "Brands you are picky about" thread, can't remember what it was last time. Exact same message both times.

Are you logged in when you see this Maddie or just popping in as a guest?

Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Are you logged in when you see this Maddie or just popping in as a guest?
    I'm always logged in.

And does it only happen here?

Life goes on.

And does it only happen here?
    Yes, so far only here. Once Thursday night, and then today.

Seems to me someone else in this thread recently had the same problem. Have you already had a look through it?

Life goes on.

Seems to me someone else in this thread recently had the same problem. Have you already had a look through it?
    I didn't see anything exactly like that in this thread, but if it happens again, I'll screencap it. It just scared me the first couple of times, but like I said, I ran a virus scan, and there's nothing showing up.

Ok. Yeah, screenshots are good. I'm not sure what's causing the problem. But they do help Nick decide if they're related to the ad server or not. And if not, they help the rest of us figure out what else the problem could be.

Oh and hey, I just thought of something else to ask you. Does sound ever accompany these pop-ups? Knowing this should help narroe down the problem further.

Life goes on.

Ok. Yeah, screenshots are good. I'm not sure what's causing the problem. But they do help Nick decide if they're related to the ad server or not. And if not, they help the rest of us figure out what else the problem could be.

Oh and hey, I just thought of something else to ask you. Does sound ever accompany these pop-ups? Knowing this should help narroe down the problem further.
    No, no sound. If it happens again, I'll screencap it. Hopefully, it was just a glitch of some sort.

I got a pop up ad today for Disney. It had sound and scared the bejesus outta me! lol Are we supposed to have ads with sound? The ones without sound don't really bother me, but when they suddenly start in with sound, I about come up outta my skin!
    ​"I wish I could just hug you all, but I'm not gonna."

~Layne Staley

I haven't had a popup or otherwise while logged on since Nick announced the option to pay to have them taken off. Every once in awhile I get auto logged out (it's IE's thingy) and I do get a popup then, but I get that on other sites, too, so it's not FAD. Ad sounds don't bother me, but they freeze my typing.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I haven't had a popup or otherwise while logged on since Nick announced the option to pay to have them taken off. Every once in awhile I get auto logged out (it's IE's thingy) and I do get a popup then, but I get that on other sites, too, so it's not FAD. Ad sounds don't bother me, but they freeze my typing.
    I think it may be the browser? It doesn't happen with Chrome, but does with Firefox. Sound ads scare the shit outta me, because I'm not expecting them... then BOO! "Do you have spots on your dishes?" lol
    ​"I wish I could just hug you all, but I'm not gonna."

~Layne Staley

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    I think it may be the browser? It doesn't happen with Chrome, but does with Firefox. Sound ads scare the shit outta me, because I'm not expecting them... then BOO! "Do you have spots on your dishes?" lol
    That's when it'd be fun to be able to bounce a homemade video back to the ad server saying, "No, because I use (fill in the blank) and I ain't switchin'!"

Life goes on.

Okay, it happened again - - I clicked on the Johnny Lewis page, and here's what came up:

You know what? I see you've got the mypoints.com toolbar installed. I used to be a member of mypoints until their program went downhill. I never installed their toolbar but I know quite a few people who did and at some point their computers became infected with adware because of it. Every single one of them. Google "uninstall mypoints toolbar" to see what I mean.

Life goes on.

I agree. That toolbar is suspicious. Also, looking at the tabs you have open, I don't even see FAD in there or in your address bar. (But I do see a Ric Flair search and I'm a huge fan of his. )

That's because the adware from that particular toolbar redirects to an adware page everytime the user tries to visit their favorite sites. And the more times they view a site, the more likely it will happen when they try to visit it. As my friend Becky (the points site queen) says, "toolbars are evil".

Life goes on.

Madeline I would use Malwarebytes to get that tool bar stuff out. I think that is part of the problem. Whatever you do don't click on it.

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."