Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ad Issues

Ad Issues

Is there any way to get rid of that "congratulations you won!" banner?

It just annoys the fuck out of me and makes me practically jump out of my skin when I hear it when I click on different threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Is there any way to get rid of that "congratulations you won!" banner?

It just annoys the fuck out of me and makes me practically jump out of my skin when I hear it when I click on different threads.
    I've been the 100,000th visitor I don't know how many times! It's VERY annoying. Wish I knew how to get rid of it.
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

It plays sound? Could you get a screen shot next time? I only get ads for webmaster stuff and car rentals on here.

They seemed to have stopped. It lasted a couple days. The banner looked like a Microsoft windows alert.

What we don't know is how many FAD users who happen to also be epileptic are still seizing on their computer room room floors from the darn thing.
    Regards,
    Mary

I've been afraid to go near that banner. Some of the ads look sketchy...

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

As of right now, it's a Coldwater Creek ad. That's not a problem. I don't even mind the noisy ones or the ones that blink. But as an animal activist, I don't like the ASPCA ones that show/talk about animal abuse. I don't really want to see that when I'm trying to get on here and talk to my buds or just relax. But then, I also turn the channel when one of those commercials come on. I'm a faithfully and diligent supporter of their's, I just don't want to see it. My imagination is bad enough. I'm just sayin'...
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

I haven't seen the blinking one today.

I keep getting a "download now" with a wee mail icon thingy and a Thompson Holiday one (which make me jealous cause I've only just gotten over being homeless and cant affor a holiday. Makes me really want one though). Used to have a website and get that they help generate revenue but are these ones "working" off of our browsing history? Just asking
    Look what the cat dragged in

It pays to be deaf.

The banner now wants me to sign up for my green card to live and work in the USA!

I've gotten that yelling smiley one and the 1,000th visitor one several times, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    The only reason I watched the entire thing was because I was wondering who the middle aged lesbian white woman was in the house full of Armenians. Then I found out it was Bruce Jenner.

It's still there. I got hit with it last night.

I don't have any banners at all. My browser blocks ads.

I think now that there's a World Of Warcraft ad/banner there....and, yes, they are annoying simply because when you go to click on "Today's Posts", you don't know if you're also clicking on that banner.....
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Its hard to scroll past the banner on my iphone without hitting it. Very annoying. Wish it were not at the top of all pages
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

Quote Originally Posted by rosemom View Post
    I don't have any banners at all. My browser blocks ads.
    The ads help pay for the hosting and the things in development, like the iPhone app. The forums generate their own content, but they also generate a ton of traffic that necessitates a hosting plan with a fast and reliable server, a system for frequent backups, a large amount of data transfer, and tech people that can troubleshoot and prevent problems.

None of that is free, and a lot of it is even more expensive because of the size and activity level of the forums. Blocking ads is kind of like going to a restaurant, ordering a big meal, and not leaving a tip. It's not the end of the world, but it's not something I would do, personally.

We're trying to get Google ads on here instead, but have had a bit of trouble with that company. Once some issues are fixed with the main site, it should be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The ads help pay for the hosting and the things in development, like the iPhone app. The forums generate their own content, but they also generate a ton of traffic that necessitates a hosting plan with a fast and reliable server, a system for frequent backups, a large amount of data transfer, and tech people that can troubleshoot and prevent problems.

None of that is free, and a lot of it is even more expensive because of the size and activity level of the forums. Blocking ads is kind of like going to a restaurant, ordering a big meal, and not leaving a tip. It's not the end of the world, but it's not something I would do, personally.

We're trying to get Google ads on here instead, but have had a bit of trouble with that company. Once some issues are fixed with the main site, it should be golden.
    I hope you know I was kidding with my post! I have a friend that runs a popular Quality and Internations Standards Discussion Forum and if it wasn;t for banner ads he could not afford to do it.
    I appreciate Scott offering the forum and suppost anything he can do to underwrite the costs.
    Regards,
    Mary

I'm happy to leave my "tip" for FAD!

Today it's driving me nuts though. The ad is for the local Crown Telecom company, Sasktel, and their current ad campaign is a very annoying little red riding hood. I loathe and despise that little cartoon!!

Seriously though, thanks again for all your hard work Nick.
    You can't "nu uh" death. That's bad debating.

The ad in question has retuned, it links to this url.

http://localpromotions.info/content/...AY11&audio=off

The ads don't bother me. I'm just glad they aren't drop down thingys. I tried banners on my website several years ago and made a whopping nickle. Lol. They were Google ads and I had trouble with them after about a month. It was nutty. I had to do this and I had to do that and it still didn't work, so I took it down.

Just freaked me out.. it said " congraulation you've won ". A voice actually says it. That was weird.

God, I detest ads that play sound. There aren't supposed to be any here, so I'll see if I can find a way to isolate the offenders.

Nick that was a Wal-Mart ad, that has some guys voice on it.

Here's a screen shot for you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's a lifetime filled with tiny graces, the biggest things in the smallest places...

Thanks. I should be able to have these ads removed from the queue now.

Can you pick ads? The Amazon.com one was cool because I could use it. I haven't seen it recently though... Just the flashy ones.
    ♥♥♥

Capture.PNG

The talking one is back. Scared the crap out of me *LOL*

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Got it again just now myself. Glad my sound is always turned off.
    My opinions & views may defer from yours and probably will.
    Then a demon came to him, you must know I am gonna win

"Not one has shown an iota of fear of death. They want to end this agony." -Dr. Jack Kevorkian

One day last week or so I got one that said "You are the 999,999 visitor. Then when I clicked onto a thread it said the usual. Lol. Doesn't bother me, but if I could hear, I'm sure it would be another matter.

I never see the banners.
    Remember me as you pass by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so you will be, Prepare for death and follow me.

All right, I'll root out the sucker.

It's still there - I won again!

You are so lucky, I never win anything. LOL
    Remember me as you pass by, As you are now, so once was I, As I am now, so you will be, Prepare for death and follow me.

Here we go again with the blinking "congratulations" sign! I thought it disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    It's still there - I won again!
    No, I WON. It just told me so

And when my heart slows down from the way it screamed out of my speakers I'll go claim it

I don't need a green card either!!! I keep getting that stupid message.

No green card? I'm reporting you!

I'm going to blank 'em out until I can find the rat ad.

Something strange: Are all of us who are on at the same time see the same banner? I think not. Suwanee is a town about 10 miles from my city and I keep getting a banner ad advertising Singles in Suwanee.

I did not find the talking banner, but I filed a complaint with the ad agency. I also re-enabled ads. There's a celebrity one that's going to run on the forums and the main site that will be of interest to many readers. I'll try to get more of those.

None of the ads talk to me. Maybe they don't like me. Figures

Quote Originally Posted by MrsGaribaldi View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrsGaribaldi View Post

I like your kitties!
    Rudolph Valentino 1895-1926

I get Tiger Air (low cost carrier). The ads are locally targeted. Banner ads are ubiquitous, so not a biggie.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!

Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I'm feeling really left out because I never get any of that. I suppose even annoying ads avoid Indiana.

One displaying right now is Sexy Russians. I could do without that. Lol.

Aww. I just get boring webmaster stuff and Domino's Pizza deals. How sexy are the Russians?

(((Snort))) Pretty sexy. In bikinis.

The ad I'm seeing right now is for the celebrity plastic surgery. I can understand the before and after pics of Sandra Bullock, but the after pic of Christie Brinkley (at least I think it's her) doesn't even look like her... so these ads are kinda funny to me
    There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love. ~ Don Juan De Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    The ad I'm seeing right now is for the celebrity plastic surgery. I can understand the before and after pics of Sandra Bullock, but the after pic of Christie Brinkley (at least I think it's her) doesn't even look like her... so these ads are kinda funny to me
    Hahaaa, I had to click on the link to see what THAT was all about.
    ♥♥♥

It stricks me as odd that those two would allow their before and after in an add, especially an internet add like that.