Thread: Van johnson - Hollywood "Golden Age" Actor

AngelFlamePhoenix Guest

Smile Van johnson - Hollywood "Golden Age" Actor

I did a search and couldn't find him, so i hope I'm not doubling up, this is my first thread so here goes:

Van Johnson: Born August 12th 1916, Died December 12th 2008

He was an Actor and starred in quite a number of films, and at the time of his death in December 2008, he was one of the last surviving matinee idols of Hollywood's "golden age".

My favourite of his movies is called 'In The Good Old Summertime', which he co-starred in with Judy Garland, which is what prompted me to do this thread, it's one of my favourite films, and he does so well in the movie,(an interesting trivia fact in the last scene in the movie, where you see him and Judy Garland walking hand in hand with their on-screen daughter, the daughter is played by a very young Liza Minnelli, in one of her first screen appearances i believe!), i find it's one of those movies you can watch on a cold winters night curled up on the couch with some popcorn and a cup of Earl Grey, 'In The Good Old Summertime' is one of my favourite old movies, and i think Van Johnson looks quite dashing in it!

He was actively appearing in movies and later some television roles up until 1992 (some of which include 'I love Lucy', and the role of 'The Minstrel' in the original 'Batman' TV series) , and he died of natural causes in 2008, i have included a link to his Wikipedia page which has some further interesting information about him, and also a link to a Youtube clip of the original trailer for his movie "In The Good Old Summertime'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv7_EuSgUqg

I though he was excellent in "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo."

Surprised he was not already mentioned.

Pictured is Robert Walker, Van Johnson, and Spencer Tracy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30seconds.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	30531  

Van Johnson spotted Clint Walker (star of the 50's western series "Cheyenne" and 60's classic "The Dirty Dozen") working as a security guard in Las Vegas and told him he should be in the movies. Clint didn't think much of the idea but Van Johnson got in touch with an agent and sent him over to see Clint. Clint didn't sign with the agent but was finally convinced he should give acting a try.

I loved his work in the movies. I believe he had a plate in his head from a car wreck that kept him out of WWII. I wrote him about 13 yrs ago and rec'd. a wonderful reply and autographs...in red felt ! I read he loved watching reruns of "The Golden Girls" near the end and just slipped away.

Has anyone heard the rumor that he was bisexual? A friend's father swears that rumor about him and other men surfaced back in the 30's and stayed with him for years. One of his lovers was supposedly Keenan Wynn.
    Last edited by bulletnose; 05-05-2011 at 12:00 AM.

The mores of those times were such that people -especially prominent ones- had to live double lives. Fortunately, today we have brave people today who live openly as to who they are rather than live behind a facade.
    Van Johnson's ex wife, talks about him and her other husband Keenan Wynn here:
    http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....-the-faca.html
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

STsFirstmate Guest
    he was absolutely and fabulously and gloriously gay!
    I have a friend who died a few years ago who ran a guest house house in Provincetown and Van Johnson was a regular guest over the years.
    She had several framed and signed of pictures of Van with various other celebities around Ptown and with Kay, my friend.
    One in particular was a picture of Van at the A House, a Ptown Gay Bar institution at a pool party back in the day when it had a pool before they expanded it.
    It was signed in lipstick by Van.
    He was by all accounts a happy and healthy and wealthy guy who lived to a ripe old age and enjoyed himself doing it!
    Regards,
    Mary

Shannon Guest
    There does seem to be alot of people without threads that should have them, so good job
    I seen a program on TCM not too long ago with Liza M. (I'm not ganna try to spell her last name), she talked about being a baby remebering Van holding her in "The good old Summer Time" I think that was the movie.

TheMysterian Guest
    Excellent actor!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    Excellent actor!

very much!

a great book on wynn and van johnson is the one from his stepson, ned wynn. it's called 'will we always live in beverly hills- growing up crazy in hollywood'
    here is a nice wrap up from amazon:
    From Publishers Weekly

This memoir by film scripter Wynn tops most Hollywood confessionals, particularly in describing his weaknesses and the influences that led him into years of acute alcoholism, drug addiction and lechery. Son of actor Keenan Wynn and grandson of comedian Ed Wynn, the author was four when his parents divorced and his mother married Van Johnson, then a reigning star. Growing up, Wynn was alienated from his father, felt deprived in the midst of the opulence provided by his stepfather and unworthy in the company of family friends like Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Elizabeth Taylor et al. Tales of glittering folk abound in the book, but none compare with the author's own and his recollections of his father, the "leading man's best friend," i.e., Johnson. Not only was his father betrayed by Johnson, his best friend, but all were ultimately done in when, in turn, the leading man abandoned Ned and his mother, leaving them broke, and took off with his male lover. Photos not seen by PW.
    Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Library Journal

The author, son of Keenan Wynn, grandson of Ed Wynn, and stepson of Van Johnson, writes an often bitter and cynical account of growing up in Hollywood. A substance abuser at an early age, he describes his aimless, self-indulgent life. The narrative is sometimes confused, but the general effect is one of catharsis: as the story progresses, Wynn begins to take responsibility for his life rather than blaming others for his problems. Though not an essential purchase, the book may appeal to those who are fascinated by the dark side of fame. Previewed in Prepub Alert, LJ 7/1/90.
    - Barbara E. Kemp, Columbia Univ. Lib.
    A review:
    "Ned Wynn's story of growing up in a dysfuntional Hollywood family and setting will get your attention fast. He describes how after hob nobbing with the "stars" and becoming an alcoholic like his actor father (Keenan Wynn), and his actor grandfather (Ed Wynn), that his life took a miserable turn down a very dark and bumpy road. His chilling account of his dream state is an eye opener for those of us who haven't been exposed to what "DT's" are all about. Graphically, he explains what hitting bottom meant to him and how he took life saving steps toward recovery. Ned is a talented and entertaining writer who articulates his experiences in a way that can make you laugh or cry. You can't help but love and admire this guy, and above all, you want to read more of his work.Although the book is out of print, I was able to find it at our local library. Also, it was great to read the author's note above...and it is wonderful to know he is alive and well and writing another book. Please hurry up and finish it, I need a good laugh / cry soon!!!"
    Last edited by johnny; 04-30-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

anyone remember that old i love lucy where he portrays himself? he and lucy do a dance number together. i believe he starred in 'la cage aux fol' (sp.) gay gay gay yes lol
    pull the string!

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    anyone remember that old i love lucy where he portrays himself? he and lucy do a dance number together. i believe he starred in 'la cage aux fol' (sp.) gay gay gay yes lol
    Yep! This was on season 4 where the Ricardos and Mertzes went to Hollywood for Ricky's screen test!!

I have Ned Wynn's book and it was excellent. I really felt sorry for Keenan when his wife left him for Van. I remember reading that he took it real hard since Van was his best friend. I also remember my shock when I read that Van was really gay and dumped Ned's mom for a another man (read the book in '93). I had no clue at the time.

BTW, Van was great in "Caine Mutiny". You can really see how bad his head injury was in that film. The scar on his forehead is very noticeable.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 05-15-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Cindy