Died: 2-Jun-2001
    Location of death: Westport, CT
    Cause of death: Alzheimer's

Religion: Roman Catholic
    Race or Ethnicity: Hispanic
    Sexual orientation: Straight
    Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: Your Show of Shows
    Husband: Robert Burton (m. 1935, d. 1955)
    Husband: King Donovan (actor, b. 25-Jan-1918, m. 1960, d. 30-Jun-1987)

Hollywood Walk of Fame 6256 Hollywood Blvd (television)
    Risk Factors: Alzheimer's

[SIZE=-2]TELEVISION[/SIZE]
    Your Show of Shows Regular (1950-54)
    It's About Time Shadd (1966-67)
    [SIZE=-2]FILMOGRAPHY AS ACTOR[/SIZE]
    Buy & Cell (1989)
    Alice in Wonderland (9-Dec-1985)
    Nothing Lasts Forever (1984)
    National Lampoon's Vacation (29-Jul-1983)
    Rabbit Test (1978)
    Under the Yum Yum Tree (23-Oct-1963)

The 5-foot-3-inch comedienne with the flexible face who co-starred with Sid Caesar on television's "Your Show of Shows" in the 1950s, died at 12:30 a.m., of natural causes, her friend Mark Basile said.
    "She died a very peaceful death, she had not been ill," Basile said. "She was a great, great person, a great humanitarian, singer, dancer."
    "All the wonderful times we shared meant the world to me. It was a pleasure working with her. I will miss her dearly," Caesar said from his home in Beverly Hills, California.
    Coca was born November 18, 1908, in Philadelphia, an only child to Sadie Brady -- a magician's assistant and chorus girl -- and Joseph Fernandez de Coca, a violinist and orchestra conductor.
    Her mother got her 11-year-old daughter her first showbiz job -- as a dancer. It paid about $2.
    At age 15 she was performing in Jimmy Durante's Silver Slipper, a New York nightclub.
    She made her Broadway debut in "When You Smile," starring Jeanette MacDonald, and worked in vaudeville and supper clubs.
    She moved into comedy at age 26 when the heat failed in the theater as the actors were preparing to present a revue called "New Faces of 1934." Coca, who had donned an oversized overcoat to keep out the chill, was sent on stage with a young Henry Fonda by director Leonard Sillman to distract the crowd while the electricity was being fixed.
    Coca started miming, which transfixed the audience, and Sillman incorporated the bit into the show.
    Critics hailed the diminutive dancer as a bright new comedienne. "That's how the comedy started," Basile said.
    In the 1930s and 1940s, she developed routines at Tamiment, a camp in the Catskills created by director Max Liebman. There, she worked with up-and-coming actors such as Danny Kaye and his wife Sylvia Fine.
    In the late 1940s, Liebman called her and told her he had a contract to produce four shows for the new medium of television. The shows, called "Admiral's Broadway Revue," became "Your Show of Shows," with Sid Caesar. The show ran from 1950 to 1954 on NBC.
    "The great thing about Imogene," said Liebman, "is that one nostril never knows what the other is doing."
    Coca, who lived most of her life in New York City, had a career that spanned eight decades. A popular television guest star, she had her own variety show for a season called "The Imogene Coca Show" on NBC and, in the early 1960s, she starred in "Grindl," about a part-time worker of odd jobs. She also had guest appearances in "Bewitched," "Moonlighting," "Playhouse 90" and "One Life to Live."
    Comediennes Lily Tomlin, Whoopi Goldberg and Tracey Ullman credited her with inspiring their work.
    On film, she played Aunt Edna strapped to the roof of a car in "National Lampoon's Vacation" with Chevy Chase. She also played a feature role in "Under the Yum Yum Tree" with Jack Lemmon. "She was a phenomenal inspiration," said Basile. "The most important thing to me is that she was a great human being. What you saw was what you got."
    Coca also loved to perform, he said. "You could see the exchange of energy that she was putting out and getting back from the audience."
    She liked "Designing Women" and other recent-vintage television shows, but "kind of missed the gentility of a former era, when it wasn't such harsh comedy," Basile said.
    Though she spent most of her life in New York City, Coca moved five years ago to Connecticut, where she had had summer homes, after her health started to fail. "She had a great ride, a great ride," Basile said.
    Coca, who had no children, was married in 1934 to Bob Burton, who arranged music for her sketches. He died in 1953. She married actor King Donovan in 1960. He died in 1987.

At Coca's request there was be no funeral service.

A lover of pets, she formed the Imogene Coca Charitable Foundation, which will donate proceeds to the Humane Society and human and civil rights groups.

Kathyf Guest
    She was a great actress. I loved her as the homely Aunt Jan looked like in te Brady Bunch.

Suzanne30 Guest
    I remember as a kid watching a show called "It's About Time". Imogene Coca played a cave woman.

Kathyf Guest
    That sounds so familiar.

She made memorable guest appearances on the sitcoms Bewitched as "Mary the Tooth Fairy."

Jazbabee Guest
    Loved Imogene.....she cracked me up

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    She was also on Sunday nights in "Grindl" which I doubt many will recall.

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    She made memorable guest appearances on the sitcoms Bewitched as "Mary the Tooth Fairy."
    Remember her outfit was spilled with Tomato juice Samantha fixed it.

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne30 View Post
    I remember as a kid watching a show called "It's About Time". Imogene Coca played a cave woman.
    Uh, we're aging ourselves here, but wasn't that show about 2 astronauts who went back in time to when there were cavemen (and women)? I haven't thought of that show in many years. She was funny in it.

Suzanne30 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    Uh, we're aging ourselves here, but wasn't that show about 2 astronauts who went back in time to when there were cavemen (and women)? I haven't thought of that show in many years. She was funny in it.
    Yep. I couldn't remember what the show was called. So I looked her up on the IMDB.com. I forgot about the astronauts. I just remember her as a cavewoman.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    She Was Great. I'd Love To See Some Of The Episodes From 'your Show Of Shows'. I Wish It Was Rerun.

Rip Imogene.

Tebssis Guest

It's about time..it's about space, it's about three men in the strangest place..I think was the beginning of the theme. I vaguely remember 3 astronouts being hurled through time to the caveman days and Imogene and her caveman hubby take them in while they try to figure a way back to the present. Very much ahead of it's time as far as sitcoms go. She was great in it, queen of the one liners. Wish I could remember the other cast members names, will have to google the list.

Tebssis Guest
    Opps, it's about time I slapped your face is the line! And it was 2 guys, not 3. Joe E. Ross played her hubby, the same guy who did the Oooh, Ooh, Ooh in Car 54, Where Are You? Guess my memory isn't as good as I'd like to think. lol

Reecy Guest
    Imogene was so funny. I miss her. She was really good with Sid Caeser too.

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    She was really funny, but she gave me the creeps. Must have been the eyes.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    do you think they strapped her to the roof of the hearse when she died?

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I thought I read in one of the rags that she had a lesbian affair with the Madge/Palmolive lady.

Imogene and the Palmolive lady? For some reason this feels wrong....(shaking it off). She was great in Vacation. "Well, are we gonna eat or am I gonna starve to death?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Imogene and the Palmolive lady? For some reason this feels wrong....(shaking it off). She was great in Vacation. "Well, are we gonna eat or am I gonna starve to death?"
    "Why don't you just ask them for the money? They sure as hell can't take a hint."

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    It's about time..it's about space, it's about three men in the strangest place..I think was the beginning of the theme. I vaguely remember 3 astronouts being hurled through time to the caveman days and Imogene and her caveman hubby take them in while they try to figure a way back to the present. Very much ahead of it's time as far as sitcoms go. She was great in it, queen of the one liners. Wish I could remember the other cast members names, will have to google the list.
    As kids we used to taunt each other, "It's about time, it's about space. It's about (fill in name)'s ugly face." Weren't we nice?
    I wish they had a TV channel for REALLY obscure shows llike this. If I see one more episode of Leave it to Frickin Beaver on TVLand I'm gonna scream.

Suzanne30 Guest
    It's About Time opening theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1G-TsdNWGg

1karenhb Guest
    It's About Time opening theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1G-TsdNWGg
    Wow, thanks Suzanne. Who would have thought that was still floating around. Great to hear again.

lisalouver Guest

Imogene Coco

I did a search and did not see anything on her.

I was watching The Brady Bunch yesterday and saw her again in the Aunt Jenny episode. It got me to thinking about her great career in entertainment and how many shows she was on, I remember her on Bewitched and others although she is best known for Your Show of Shows.

I did not find a Wiki on her, but here is her IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0168042/

Some great trivia on her on that site looks like she died of Alzheimers in 2001 - RIP!

ozzysmom Guest
    Wasn't she Aunt Edna in National Lampoon's Vacation?

BruiserBrody Guest

Yes she was...!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085995/
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    Wasn't she Aunt Edna in National Lampoon's Vacation?

msmojorisin84 Guest
    "Do you enjoy throwing up, Claude?" "It's Clark"..."I thought so!"

opheliahardin Guest
    I went and looked up this link and come to find out my mind is going. It's Nanette Fabray and Sid Caesar -- I thought it was Imgene Coca.

Still, it's really funny: Argument to Beethoven's 5th

STsFirstmate Guest
    Another bit of sad trivia. She was involved in a nasty cab accident ( she was a passenger) in NYC and lost an eye in 1973. She also ended up fracturing her cheek bone and suffering a nasty gash in her leg.
    My favorite is the animated clock sketch. It is a bavarian clock that had a smithy, a smithy's assistant and Imogene poured a ladel of water on the forge. The clock begins to malfunction and mayhem occurs!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0SG4YhiuYU
    Enjoy!!!!
    Mary

opheliahardin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    My favorite is the animated clock sketch. It is a bavarian clock that had a smithy, a smithy's assistant and Imogene poured a ladel of water on the forge.
    Thanks Mary! I hadn't seen that before and it was, of course, delightful.

Layla331 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.wanttohaveitall View Post
    She Was Great. I'd Love To See Some Of The Episodes From 'your Show Of Shows'. I Wish It Was Rerun.

Rip Imogene.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DMOiaunXEU&NR=1

made me giggle

Jazbabee Guest
    The comedians of today pale in comparison to Imogene and her cohorts !!

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    The comedians of today pale in comparison to Imogene and her cohorts !!
    I totally agree! When she did her cave lady, there was nobody funnier!!

"You're driving me to Phoenix!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Billy Weathersby Guest

Vacation

I recently learned a scene was shot for the movie, Vacation that the powers-that-be decided not to use, for whatever reason...When the Griswald's said their "good-bye" to Aunt Edna in the rain after they had dropped her off at her son's house and left, the camera pans to Aunt Edna and she begins to stir.....so she wasn't really dead after all...

Cool find, Billy, but the cut they kept was still funny. There she was, wrapped in a tarp and strapped to the roof of the car. <L>
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Billy Weathersby Guest

Thank you..

Thank you..It was a really funny movie as released..

Kimmell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Weathersby View Post
    I recently learned a scene was shot for the movie, Vacation that the powers-that-be decided not to use, for whatever reason...When the Griswald's said their "good-bye" to Aunt Edna in the rain after they had dropped her off at her son's house and left, the camera pans to Aunt Edna and she begins to stir.....so she wasn't really dead after all...
    I read that in Entertianment Magazine. They also mentioned that a special edition of the dvd was gonna be released, and this deleted scene was in the extras.
    The scene is, when they drop her off, she untangles herself, and looks around thinking she is "floating on air"....She lites up another joint, shrugs, and smokes it. (When the girl hands her the bag of pot, she keeps a few joints for herself thinking they are cigarettes.)

Morto Guest
    I remember rulnning into her at a Hotel I was staying at in SF in the late 80's I want to say as she was coming out of the elevator.She was this tiny burst of energy!!!!So sweet too.She was performing in a show nearby.God bless her

She had such a great face and comedic talent. She was a true gem.

Katrinawitch Guest
    I remember her most as Aunt Jenny on The Brady Bunch. She was Carol or Mike's crazy aunt who came to visit the family. She showed them a picture of herself when she was young, and she looked just like Jan. Jan was afraid she'd grow up to look like Aunt Jenny!

Now that I look back, Jan was so selfish and insensitive!

jeca Guest
    I just loved her. I used to watch those old shows with my dad, and I can't remember a time I didn't adore her.

Seagorath Guest
    She was an awesome lady...will always be remembered for her role as Aunt Edna in Vacation. Classic.

She was one of a kind.

Lady_T_61 Guest

Never Knew She was Hispanic

Humm, very interesting. I never knew Imogene was Hispanic.

Anyway, she was a fine actress. Seemed like a nice woman.