Thread: Using the Search Function

Exclamation Using the Search Function

We have several new members as of late (welcome, all!) and are experiencing an increased amount of duplicate threads, threads in wrong places, etc. This is being done by new members and veteran members. For the sake of organization, please, PLEASE use the search function before starting a thread. We have over three years of threads, and if you are creating a thread about a popular news item, musician, band, actor/actress, etc, what have you, there may already be a thread on it. You can find the search function at the top right of the forum, and this gives you ability to search either posts or thread titles. When searching posts, use as many keywords as possible. Say, bonnie+blakely+murder+shot. When searching titles, one or two words will do. (Example - searching for 'Charlie' under titles will bring up all threads with the word Charlie in the title.) Also, searching is made much easier when you include a victim's name, criminal's name, or other identifier in the title. Threads titled "OMG WTF" are hard to search for. Also, if you run across a thread that needs merged or moved, post it in the FAD Feedback section - there is a thread for merging and another for moving. If you need help, get ahold of a mod. If you are deliberately posting threads in the wrong places or intentionally duplicating threads and continue to do in the name of disruption, you will be carded.

Again, any questions, just ask someone. That's what we're here for!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

If the forum search engine yields nothing you can search the forum on google by entering the search term followed by site:findadeath.com/forum, e.g.:
    Mr. Hands site:findadeath.com/forum
    This will allow your search to includes words with 3 or less letters.

Edit:
    Oops google search will only showresults for areas of the forum viewable to nonmembers. Not sure if it will show results for posts in member only areas that occured before they became private last year.
    Last edited by ichabodius; 09-22-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

That's a good question, Ichles. I've never thought of that before. Tell ya what... try searching for Engletom that way. I would but I'm on my phone .

Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    If the forum search engine yields nothing you can search the forum on google by entering the search term followed by site:findadeath.com/forum, e.g.:
    Mr. Hands site:findadeath.com/forum
    This will allow your search to includes words with 3 or less letters.

Edit:
    Oops google search will only showresults for areas of the forum viewable to nonmembers. Not sure if it will show results for posts in member only areas that occured before they became private last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    That's a good question, Ichles. I've never thought of that before. Tell ya what... try searching for Engletom that way. I would but I'm on my phone .
    Mystery solved because I'm back at a computer now.

I was able to find old posts using the above method. Example: engletom site:findadeath.com/forum

This method yields a variety of results from Google that we're not gonna be used to yet, because it not only gives post results but also those for social groups and profile messages. A definite plus. Just take that extra minute to mentally filter between those types of results, folks. Such as, the post I was looking for was on page two of Google's results, which appear to be date sorted, newest at the top ofcourse. And since the Engletom social group was created way after the thread was posted, natch that's the date order results would be in.

Does that make with the sense to everybody? If not, ask. We're all here to help eachother.

Life goes on.

OK I'm confused about something on the search that's why I don't start that many new threads anymore.
    I did a search because I wanted to start a thread called Time Travel what year would you go back to?
    I found nothing but then i see there was a thread already started in '07 but the words were travel thru time.
    If you did put in time travel wouldn't travel thru time also come up? I checked the first few pages of the search and didn't see anything.
    Since the post was originally started in '07 does the search only go back a certain length of time?
    That makes me wonder because I wanted to write something on a James Dean thread but James Dean never showed up even the mod who
    eventually found it couldn't find it thru the regular search even though it was there but it was eventually found after a while.
    I'm just trying to be a better HAG.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

I just put in the word "travel", then chose to search by title and it came right up.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out the search tool. I tried to find Paul Newman.. I typed that in and couldn't find the thread. I gotta be doing something wrong. I'll keep playing with it until I figure it out.

SomeChick, is there a phone app for the forums? I have a Droid Rezound, and can't get on the forums with it.
    ​"I wish I could just hug you all, but I'm not gonna."

~Layne Staley

Wendy-

If you click on "advanced search" under the search box on the upper right top of the forum, a new page opens. Under "Search For," click the pull-down menu that says "Search Titles Only." When I did that for Paul Newman, he came right up. I hope this helps...

There's a mobile version available instead of an app. Scroll to the very bottom of any page and you'll see a box in the lower left corner that says vb default. Hit the down arrow and you'll be able to choose full or mobile versions of the site.

Life goes on.

Ok peeps, the lack of using the search function is getting out of hand again. If you can't find something using the regular search, click on 'advanced search' and then use the drop-down menu to search only thread titles. I use it all the time, it works very well. Also, see Ich's post above. New peoples, feel free to ask if you think we might already have a thread. Older members who know the ropes and are doing this to be disruptive, STOP. Please. Thanks.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I actually got it to work today! Yay!
    ​"I wish I could just hug you all, but I'm not gonna."

~Layne Staley

Yay!

Life goes on.

Hoo ah!

- R.H. Sin

More search tips for the current version of the forum software:

The search isn't able to find three-letter words. That's because adding them to the database is a bit cumbersome on the server. So whatever you search for needs to be at least four letters long.

Nor will it search for words that are considered too common like that, what, etc. Adding those would also be a strain on the server.

The use of wildcards. What are those and how are they useful? They're just an asterisk added to the end of a word or partial word to help narrow down results. Very useful when you can't quite remember a thread title or someone's proper name used in a post. For instance if you were trying to find a thread about one of the Rockefellers but weren't sure how to spell it, just enter rock* and choose to search by title. Much faster and less frustrating than trying different spellings and why proper titles are so important on a forum this size.

The use of quotation marks when looking for a particular post. This is useful when you remember a phrase that was used in a thread you're looking for but can't remember the title. Cuts way down on putting a couple of words in the search only to get 5 pages back to look through to find the right one. For example, just where did that term monkey hump come from that you see used here sometimes? Just put "monkey hump" into the search and choose to search all posts and have results returned as posts and voila, there it is.

There are other tips but those are all I have time for right now. Anybody wants to add more, go for it.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 06-20-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Life goes on.

Bump-o-rama! Because apparently a brush up is needed here by lots of folks. Got questions? See above. Got more about how this magical search thing works? Ask here.

Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Bump-o-rama! Because apparently a brush up is needed here by lots of folks. Got questions? See above. Got more about how this magical search thing works? Ask here.
    I am so glad you bumped this thread!!! The use of quotation marks that you'd mentioned above will be EXTREMELY helpful to me for all the reasons you mentioned. I truly suck at the search thing so I don't attempt to start new threads. Again, thanks for the bump and for the great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by maryd View Post
    I am so glad you bumped this thread!!! The use of quotation marks that you'd mentioned above will be EXTREMELY helpful to me for all the reasons you mentioned. I truly suck at the search thing so I don't attempt to start new threads. Again, thanks for the bump and for the great advice!
    You're welcome Mary

Life goes on.

Do we have a dog thread on FAD? I thought we did, I can't find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Do we have a dog thread on FAD? I thought we did, I can't find it?
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...read-Part-Deux
    Morgan

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Is there a time limit on posting in old threads? Ie; bumping a thread from 2007?

Not at all.
    Brandon Lee

A link to the newspaper proper is at the end of each article on the following blog

Fantastic. Thanks for that.

You're welcome.
    Brandon Lee

A link to the newspaper proper is at the end of each article on the following blog