Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have an accent?

Nicksmorbidfascination Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    I have an Australian Accent but I get labelled with other accents sometimes! Sydneysiders have accents but a little less so than the country people !

Orginally from the country, I of course say "fucking instead of Fucken" and "film instead of Fillum"...a few examples for you to ponder! LOL!

I first heard my accent when I was living in London and decided I needed to talk more slowly and softly!
    ha ha i myself am more of a holy Faaark! girlie, but i live in sticksville so its totally acceptable lol

i myself love accents with a little lilt....George strait whatever his accent is is HOT
    Last edited by Nicksmorbidfascination; 03-31-2009 at 04:31 AM.

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksmorbidfascination View Post
    ha ha i myself am more of a holy Faaark! girlie, but i live in sticksville so its totally acceptable lol

i myself love accents with a little lilt....George strait whatever his accent is is HOT

LOL I have aunts and cousing that live in St. Louis, MO who say "fark" instead of "fork." Drives me nuttier than a Snickers.

**Jenna** Guest
    I don't have an accent. I do love Irish and Australian
    Last edited by **Jenna**; 03-31-2009 at 10:41 AM.

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ihearttinytim View Post
    LOL I have aunts and cousing that live in St. Louis, MO who say "fark" instead of "fork." Drives me nuttier than a Snickers.
    I didn't know people from St Louis pronounce words like that,I live up by Kansas City and we pronounce it fork.

**Jenna** Guest
    I like Matthew McConnehey's accent.

TallulahDahling Guest
    I speak Sippian

Town Without Pity Guest
    I always say, being from the west coast I don't have an accent, my nose is just stuffy. But give me 10 minutes with my best friend from Mississippi and I turn into a Southern Belle.....lol

guardmom2008 Guest
    Funny, most people don't think that they have an accent, they think it is the other person. lol

Wretched1 Guest
    Combination Bostonian, canadian, maineglish

Tripfaceape Guest
    I don't have an accent. I actually had a guy arguing with me, saying there was no way I was from here (Indiana) because I don't have an accent like everyone else. WHICH btw...I don't understand Hoosiers having southern accents. We're nowhere near the south. I don't get it...where is it coming from??

pistolpete Guest
    born and raised in Cali...no accent, dude

RodeoQueen Guest
    I definitely have an accent, although I don't think ours is as distinctive as those from other southern states. My favorite accent is the lovely, languid drawl you get from old North Carolinians. If you've ever seen the series on the Civil War on PBS that was narrated by a man named Shelby Foote, that's the one. Just a genteel, lovely way of conversatin'

HBennett Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeoQueen View Post
    I definitely have an accent, although I don't think ours is as distinctive as those from other southern states. My favorite accent is the lovely, languid drawl you get from old North Carolinians. If you've ever seen the series on the Civil War on PBS that was narrated by a man named Shelby Foote, that's the one. Just a genteel, lovely way of conversatin'

People tell me I have a Southern Accent... I always say "no I don't-- you have a northern accent" But I 'reckon' being a FL native perhaps I do have an accent...
    I don't use the words ain't, yonder, "here" where it sounds like "heeamp", down the road a piece, snootful, and the lovely double verb/adjective nouns, IE- cookin oil, eatin table, cuttin knife, etc...

Never could stand those phrases & words!

Salad Fingers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    Funny, most people don't think that they have an accent, they think it is the other person. lol
    Thats the way I think

Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    That's very true, eh?

Just kiddng. Most of us don't really say that. I'm one of the few. It's sort of a stereotype, but like most stereotypes there's an element of truth to it.

It drives my mother crazy when I start sounding too "Canadian".

Lisa03 Guest
    southern accent -

Handrejka Guest
    I sound a little bit like Debbie Greenwood, the presenter in this clip. Any other Brit Hags remember her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOfEBS6dqXw

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HBennett View Post
    People tell me I have a Southern Accent... I always say "no I don't-- you have a northern accent" But I 'reckon' being a FL native perhaps I do have an accent...
    I don't use the words ain't, yonder, "here" where it sounds like "heeamp", down the road a piece, snootful, and the lovely double verb/adjective nouns, IE- cookin oil, eatin table, cuttin knife, etc...

Never could stand those phrases & words!
    I started saying "I reckon" as a joke, but the damned thing stuck. Now I say it without even meaning to. Argh. Do you use phrases like "as the crow flies", "tighter than Dick's hatband" or "busier than a one-legged cat coverin' up shit"?

HBennett Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeoQueen View Post
    Do you use phrases like "as the crow flies", "tighter than Dick's hatband" or "busier than a one-legged cat coverin' up shit"?

I don't mean to, but I usually end up saying stuff like that sometimes.
    Caught myself using "aint" today and I penalized myself one cig. LOL

LMAO...I'm American but I lived in New Zealand for a few years as a kid, and when I came back to the States, the kids thought I was some kind of freak! Try saying "yes" after you've been in New Zealand for awhile. I was actually born in Virginia, my father in Alabama. So I still have a few words: "Sure as gun's iron", "Missipi", rather that Mississippi.One of my more recent and amusing experiences was getting off a plane in Edinburgh, and going, HUH???? (see Robin William's "Golf")
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Quote Originally Posted by Wretched1 View Post
    Combination Bostonian, canadian, maineglish
    Peppridge Fahm Ruhmembahs! Ayuh.

Cahn't staht tha cahh cuz tha battry's ded. Ayuh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Salad Fingers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duchessmary View Post
    LMAO...I'm American but I lived in New Zealand for a few years as a kid, and when I came back to the States, the kids thought I was some kind of freak! Try saying "yes" after you've been in New Zealand for awhile. I was actually born in Virginia, my father in Alabama. So I still have a few words: "Sure as gun's iron", "Missipi", rather that Mississippi.One of my more recent and amusing experiences was getting off a plane in Edinburgh, and going, HUH???? (see Robin William's "Golf")
    I love a good New Zealand accent,sometimes they are mistaken for Aussies but we sound completly different,Kiwis talk funny and we dont.

ZoeAnne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    Peppridge Fahm Ruhmembahs! Ayuh.

Cahn't staht tha cahh cuz tha battry's ded. Ayuh.
    Hee hee!!!

ColorfulCasey Guest
    I have a horribly thick Texas accent. It's pretty bad when fellow Texans make fun of it. I can't help it!

Impatience Guest
    I live in Georgia (south georgia for a long time too)... it's inevitable.

Bigassed North American dialect map with audio samples:
    http://aschmann.net/AmEng/#LargeMap
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Forever-27 Guest
    When I was in Australia they told me I sounded like George Bush ... umm ok.

When I was in Mississippi they said I sounded like I was from Boston. hmmmm ok since ive never been to the East Coast of America

If you're from North Central or East Texas, then I don't have an accent. If you're from anywhere else I do. And I love bring in all the E TX I can when there are visitors. There is nothing in the world as much fun as tawkin' Texan! So, Ah'll be fixin' to carry y'all over to the sto-ur whenever y'all's show is over.

aLiLdirt Guest
    If I'm stressed or just plain tired, I tend to revert to a hint of an east Texas twang. Generally though, I speak in Standard American dialect, but boy do I love the Mid Atlantic accent.
    If I could get away with it, I'd switch to Mid Atlantic in a heartbeat!

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Pure southern belle

I'm Australian, of course we do not have an accent, it is you lot that do!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

tarsier Guest
    No but I tend to pick them up by the company I keep

Bassetlover09 Guest
    I've noticed there is a difference in eastern and western North Carolinians. I knew a man from Greensboro who had the coolest accent...a slow, deep drawl. I've noticed people at the Outer Banks also have this accent. Different from us north east TN and western NC people.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    To New Yorkers I have a "Californian" accent! Whatever that is! hahaha

Morto Guest
    Mbalmr,yes they do!The first thing they learn is too speak "Journalese" meaning while on the air erase every trace of any accent

Mulvaness Guest
    I am from Southern IL ( YES that Southern part is important! LOL) I do have a habit ( a pain in the ass habit, or at least I think it is!!) of slipping into accents. I've done a lot of traveling because my husband is ex military and I was a Navy wife for almost 12 yrs. If I am around anyone southern for very long, I pick it up quick. My husband is from Kentucky, Florida, and Michigan so it is a mishmash of accents but I will pick up things from him time to time.

Mammy Guest
    100 percent redneck here! I also love all the phrases and learned lots of them from my Pap. (maternal grandpa) Yeehaw!

FannyB1923 Guest
    One that seems to be dying out is "Uppercrust" American- sort of a "pass the tomahtoes"in a sing-song voice! Think of FDR or to a lesser extent Julia Child (she was a California girl after all)

Starstruck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I'm Australian, of course we do not have an accent, it is you lot that do!
    LOL Isn't that the truth mate!!!!

NineTails20 Guest
    Damn straight I've got an accent.

I'm from Dublin's Northside, I sound like an extra from The Commitments!

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    One that seems to be dying out is "Uppercrust" American- sort of a "pass the tomahtoes"in a sing-song voice! Think of FDR or to a lesser extent Julia Child (she was a California girl after all)
    That Barefoot Contessa chef has that uppercrust snottish voice. She may cook good but I'll bet she's a big Hampton's snob.

I didn't think I had an accent but when I went to New York the people there asked me what part of Texas I was from!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

buddyhollylover Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhollylover View Post
    now i'm from milwaukee. i have this weird way of putting things sometimes, kinda like an old polish person. instead of 'you' it's 'yous' and i put 'hey' and 'a-na?' at the end of a sentence for some reason. no accent i think, but i guess someone from another state or country would probably think so lol
    never thought i had an accent until i met pete. he has one cause he's from alabama, and he says to me all the time i have a northern accent

really?

mrsr Guest
    I have a fairly ordinary English accent, I wish it was more exciting!

hallowbones Guest
    I'm Australian but my dad had a thick Irish accent which I picked up on a little so that plays into it a bit.
    When I was a teenager everyone thought I was American because my words sounded different. But I just listened to too much rap music and it shaped how I spoke then.

Im from the Midwest but live in South America. When people here try to guess where I am from, they always think Canada. The funny thing is that I am an English teacher. It is so funny to hear students that I have had for a while, speaking like Michiganders, saying "you guys" or asking if anyone wants a bottle of "pop", but with latin accents

Tornillo Guest
    Yes, soft West Texas...

Jacksmum Guest
    Sometimes the Brit comes out but not always.

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post
    To New Yorkers I have a "Californian" accent! Whatever that is! hahaha
    I've heard the same thing from the Jersey'ers ....

A little time around some of my family member's and I sound like a Jersey Italian.

(I do well as a Valley Girl when I need to)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachamama View Post
    Im from the Midwest but live in South America. When people here try to guess where I am from, they always think Canada. The funny thing is that I am an English teacher. It is so funny to hear students that I have had for a while, speaking like Michiganders, saying "you guys" or asking if anyone wants a bottle of "pop", but with latin accents

LOL on the "pop" and "You guys"! Born and raised in Michigan here. Metro Detroit area so I guess we have more of a "Canadian" accent in some respects. I have a tendency to slip into that from time to time, but I think it was due to the fact that I worked 8 years for a company that handled Canadian mailings, so I was always on the phone with Canada Post in Toronto or the customs agent in Windsor.

There is definitely a difference between Lower Peninsula and the UP though....thus the bumper stickers: "Say ya to dah UP, eh!"

My mum is from Fleetwood, England and emigrated here in 1963. I do have a tendency to say certain words the way she does. My friends are always teasing me about the way I say schedule, as in "shed-yool", not "sked-u-wal". Mum has (to me) lost a lot of her Lancashire accent, although my friends say they can definitely still her it. When her sisters come to visit from time to time, her accent goes right thick again, and I will pick up some of it as well, just from talking to them. They all sound just like Coronation Street.

Now, if you guys don't mind, I'm going to go enjoy myself a refreshing glass of Vernors pop.
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle