Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have an accent?

Fujicakes Guest
    I have the California thing going on. Some people have told me I sound like a white ("white" usually meaning valley) girl, mostly because I include "like" and "dude" a bit too frequently in my speech. I think I'm a less-exaggerated version of a valley girl though, so I annoy less.

I read something the other day and it confused me. What is a New England clipped accent? I guess when you are from the area you just don't know that you talk funny.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

bluesma Guest
    I am originally from Spokane Wa and now live in Boston... I have a mix and it is not pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by jeca View Post
    Yins is just like saying you (plural). Yoy is an exclamation made famous by the late Pittsburgh sports announcer Myron Cope.
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    Persactly!

Is there a difference between an Australian accent and a New Zealand accent? I swear they sound identical to me. We have an ANZAC club here and I can't tell the difference.

(and why I picked those two quotes, which have nothing to do with the question, I do not know )
    Last edited by duster; 11-12-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Pamebabby Guest
    Yoy! Good ol' Myron Cope.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Is there a difference between an Australian accent and a New Zealand accent? I swear they sound identical to me. We have an ANZAC club here and I can't tell the difference.

YES! OMG we sooo do not sound like a NZ'dr. eeekkk.

They will ALWAYS end a sentence with BRO. yeah Bro. Is that right Bro. HAAAAAA

There are differences:

We will say Chips, fish, six, yes.

They will say - CHEEPS, FEESH, SEX, YIS.

Get them to say that and you will know if they are NZ'r or Aust (or show a pic of a sheep - if they say it is SEXY, then you know they are from NZ!!!)

however last year when I was in the USA and Canada, NO ONE said I was Australian, they all thought I was from the UK, so I am not sure if you even know what our accent sounds like!!!

last year when I was in the USA and Canada, NO ONE said I was Australian, they all thought I was from the UK, so I am not sure if you even know what our accent sounds like!!!
    Actually the Australian accent does sound very similiar to a Brit accent to me - but I can always tell the difference within a few sentences.

I am quite certain I sound like a total hick. I am a victim of Ozark Mush Mouth.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Being from Texas, I don't have an accent, but everyone else does.

Thenotherone, who's from Boston, was on Youtube watching the Paul Bernardo police interview, and she came across this comment below the vid:

"Sorry. The tape answered the questions I had. I have never heard him speak before. God, what a horrible Canadian accent! Aboot, aboot, aboot."

Yikes . I sound like Bernardo? WTF!?!!?

PvN73 Guest
    Actually the Australian accent does sound very similiar to a Brit accent to me - but I can always tell the difference within a few sentences.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo WAY!

Please don't say that! That is nearly as bad as saying we are NZ'ders

eeeekkkk

halogirl5 Guest
    North East England. Erm, exactly like Vic Reeves. With the odd girl's school posh intonation thrown in, cos my Mam went to a girls high school.
    If you're an outlander, think of the most famous Geordie you know that is not sting. I hate it, most people think it's charming. I always get suspicious if that happens. Y'see charming is a word I personally use when I don't wanna say FUGLY!

Rosa Moline Guest

That's interesting. I've always found an Aussie accent to be very distinctive and completely different to a Brit one, yet when we've been in the USA or other places people have often asked my hubs if he's Australian (I think to non-English people a South-East/London accent can sound Aussie)

When I was in Florida a few weeks ago, I was amused when someone said to me: "Oh My God! you sound exactly like Ozzy's wife, Sharon Osbourne!"
    (which to be perfectly honest, I suppose i do!)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo WAY!

Please don't say that! That is nearly as bad as saying we are NZ'ders

eeeekkkk
    Just for a few sentences! Then I figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Moline View Post
    That's interesting. I've always found an Aussie accent to be very distinctive and completely different to a Brit one, yet when we've been in the USA or other places people have often asked my hubs if he's Australian (I think to non-English people a South-East/London accent can sound Aussie)

When I was in Florida a few weeks ago, I was amused when someone said to me: "Oh My God! you sound exactly like Ozzy's wife, Sharon Osbourne!"
    (which to be perfectly honest, I suppose i do!)
    I think it would probably be as tough for a North American to tell the difference right off the bat as it would be for an Australian or a Brit to tell the difference between an American and a Canadian accent. Every time I've been overseas, without fail, people have asked me what part of the States I'm from.

PvN73 Guest
    Just for a few sentences! Then I figure it out.
    A few too many sentences! Gosh dang it, I have to work on my accent to sound more like Steve Irwin then. eeeekkkk NOOOOOOOOO

I think it would probably be as tough for a North American to tell the difference right off the bat as it would be for an Australian or a Brit to tell the difference between an American and a Canadian accent. Every time I've been overseas, without fail, people have asked me what part of the States I'm from.
    Well we can always pick a Canadian no worries, they have the flag somewhere pinned to them! HA!

Well we can always pick a Canadian no worries, they have the flag somewhere pinned to them! HA!
    HAHAHA! I wasn't going to mention that. But that's the first piece of advice Canadian travellers get here: Wear a red maple leaf somewhere on you. For protection.

Jinglygypsy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tuesdays_jupiter View Post
    Oh honey ya ain't got tha half of it!!! Born and raised in the rural Ozark (owz-ARE-kah) Mountains, where people still talk with the original forms of the Queen's english. A lot of scholars like to talk to the older folks and ask 'em about how things are said. Instead of y'all, we say yun's (you ones) and hain't (ain't) and hisn't (isn't). Now I'm fixin' to fry up a mess of fish if'n yun's wanna stick 'round fur supper.
    You just reminded me so much of my mom!
    She was from Missouri, and she always said "yun's" (you ones) and "yung'ns" (young ones) or "littln's" (little ones). I was born in California and never took on her accent, so of course I always had to tease her about it (but I secretly liked it!)

Bidmor Guest
    Nope...I ain't got no acksay-ent.

PvN73 Guest
    HAHAHA! I wasn't going to mention that. But that's the first piece of advice Canadian travellers get here: Wear a red maple leaf somewhere on you. For protection.
    HAAAA well it is good to see you all stick to that tradition. Sometimes it's a badge, a hat, a top that says ROOT!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

really can you pls pass onto all your fellow countrymen that if you wear that in Australia you might as well walk around with a top that says SEX or FUCK or the like as that is what a root is here. HA!

really can you pls pass onto all your fellow countrymen that if you wear that in Australia you might as well walk around with a top that says SEX or FUCK or the like as that is what a root is here. HA!
    OMFG i'm laughing so hard i'm weeping...And it doesn't say Root, it says Roots (the more the merrier, I guess! ) I can only imagine what Aussies are thinking, when they see people walking around in shirts that say Roots at the top, followed by a pic of a beaver...

PvN73 Guest
    OMFG i'm laughing so hard i'm weeping...And it doesn't say Root, it says Roots (the more the merrier, I guess! ) I can only imagine what Aussies are thinking, when they see people walking around in shirts that say Roots at the top, followed by a pic of a beaver...
    well it is good that you are requesting more than one though.... however can you imagine what we think when we see this...

now that's patriotic!

OOOKKKK into objectophilia then are we?

Gorey Guest
    My older brother Al, married a girl from Glasgow, Scotland, while he was in the Navy. I can usually pick a Scotch accent out of a crowd of people. BTW she was crazy!!

Fujicakes Guest

Foreign Accents

Forgive me if something similar to this has been posted, but I searched and I didn't come up with anything.

Are there foreign accents you're particularly fond of? (And "foreign" being unlike yours, not necessarily out of the country)

And (serious question!): Do any of the non-US Death Hags think any American accent is hot? I guess being American-born, I don't exactly see the appeal

Though I'm quite fond of Australian and NZ accents

i am american, my husband is english and has lived in new zealand for most of his life. you would love his accent. its dreamy.
    pull the string!

jeca Guest
    Scottish is by far, my favorite accent. I'm American, but a close second is a southern accent.

orionova Guest
    I married an Englishman, and that is the last time I let myself get taken in by an accent. It wasn't even a very good one, really. Too London, dropping his 't's all over the place. I do like a Geordie accent, though. I love an Irish accent. There's just something about it.

If the next man I marry has an accent, it won't be what attracted me to him in the first place.

Forever-27 Guest
    Nothing like a woman wth a kiwi accent.

jenna_VonDoom Guest
    I like accents. Their hot. Especially british or itailan.

Here it is. Yves Montand, in his TASTEEE French-accented English. I fell in love w/ him watching this movie.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=KR38z2fV4K0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    british & australian accents are quite sexy

thinkering Guest
    Aussie-accent makes me weak at the knees.

And eventhough it doesn't have the same effect on me, I do like a good southern drawl.

& and I have a scandi-lilt.

I'm from the UK and think you have some cool accents in the US, so many to choose from!

Guest Guest
    I love foreign accents, I hate British Regional accents. French Swedish etc yummyyyyyy, I also like some U.S accents

I love a good Irish brogue. "'tis a lovely ting, dat"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Nobody can hurt me without my permission"-Ghandi

Kevin - I mean, what's saving lives if there's no one to make out with?
    Daria - I believe Gandhi asked that same question.
    Jane - It's why he had to be eliminated.

deathpool Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelfie68 View Post
    I love a good Irish brogue. "'tis a lovely ting, dat"
    Dia Duit. I like Austrailian accents myself.

Hag1 Guest
    I love the Irish. I know an Irish man, and he actually does say "top 'o the morning to ya"

Cettie Guest
    A British accent will melt my very being, that includes all of the UK--Ireland, Scotland and Wales. I love the musical group Celtic Thunder, you can hear those dreamy accents.

Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    i am american, my husband is english and has lived in new zealand for most of his life. you would love his accent. its dreamy.
    I bet it is. I had an English friend and an Australian friend in collage and just loved their accents.

I can't hear now, but I can pick up Queens and the Bronx accents via lip reading. I know it sounds strange, but it's true. I have a bunch of friends who moved down here from Queens and a Mohawk from the Bronx. They didn't have to tell me where they were from. LOL.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    I love an Irish accent....way back when I was in college and worked at Walgreens I had a regular customer from Ireland. I'd keep her there forever after we finished her transaction, talking to her about everything under the sun, just to hear her talk. lol

I can't wait to visit there and hear everyone talk like that! I may never leave. lol

40. 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    Haha, I'm sure I would Lucky you! You get to hear that lovely accent all the time! Of course, it's probably no big thing now since you're probably used to it.

As a person born in Scotland I find the Canadian Accents
    very cute eh.

Nicki Guest
    Love the French Accents! Think their Sexy! However good USA Proper accents such as a Morgan Freeman or a Gregory Peck type is a strong turn on. What type of accent is Sean Connery's? His voice is the "delish" also.

Sean Connery was born in Edinburgh Scotland.

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    I love foreign accents, I hate British Regional accents.
    So is now not the time for my 'Cor blimey Mary Poppins' accent then?

Accent? Who's got an accent??

Fargo

Escanaba In Da Moonlight

Dunno about the different accent in the US or England but I always loved the english language in general! And an italian accent would be a close second.

Nicki Guest

Sean Connery

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Sean Connery was born in Edinburgh Scotland.
    Thanks....love his voice

xenaswolf Guest
    Irish accents like in PS I love you, Scottish if it's not to thick, New Zealand if Lucy Lawless is speaking it and a good old Texas twang spoken by Angie Harmon just trips my trigger!

Irish

I like the Welsh accent ,anything better then mine I sound like someone from Pirates of the Caribbean