Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan's earthquake and tsunami

There are 1400 dead/missing as of now, and they're running a banner across the bottom of the TV screen, giving names, ages and locations of the dead. And there was just another regular-sized quake in Hokkaido. The aftershocks will probably continue for another month, they're saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    how did Hawaii do? i take it they didnt get alot of damage? i haven't heard much bout them.
    I have an Aunt on the island of Oahu. This morning I found out she was okay and asleep in her own bed! Her condo is real close to the water and I am surprised she didn't evacuate. The water came in their stronger then it did here in California but I don't think it was as bad as they thought it might be. Thank God! I don't think anyone is suffering as bad as the people in Japan right now. This is so tragic I don't even know what to say.

I too kept thinking about HereKittyKitty and Neil! I am so glad that you guys are okay!

DonnaMc Guest
    Has there been a nuclear accident and they just aren't telling anybody?

Forever-27 Guest
    We are overdue for something like this quake in japan. Everything kewl always happens elsewhere from here.

Good to know you were able to ride it out kitty

DonnaMc Guest
    Nuclear Emergency?

I'm listening to the news in Japanese, and don't know much about nuclear reactors, but this is what I am getting:

they are 'venting' (letting some air/gas out of) the nuclear reactor.

They report that pressure of the drywell (the part of the reactor w/o water) has decreased, indicating that gas has been released. There are filters so that they're not just dumping radioactive material out. The level of radiation in the filters is measured in microseverts, which indicate much radiation has been released. The level in the filters was 4.8 microseverts/hour; now that has significantly increased to 9.97/hour--meaning that while the filters can't trap all of the radiation as the air is released, they are trapping a significant amount.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    how did Hawaii do? i take it they didnt get alot of damage? i haven't heard much bout them.
    Initially a two to three foot wave/surge. The concern was that the energy would ping-pong around between the islands causing localised peaks, but nothing too significant is what I hear.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    I'm listening to the news in Japanese, and don't know much about nuclear reactors, but this is what I am getting:

they are 'venting' (letting some air/gas out of) the nuclear reactor.

They report that pressure of the drywell (the part of the reactor w/o water) has decreased, indicating that gas has been released. There are filters so that they're not just dumping radioactive material out. The level of radiation in the filters is measured in microseverts, which indicate much radiation has been released. The level in the filters was 4.8 microseverts/hour; now that has significantly increased to 9.97/hour--meaning that while the filters can't trap all of the radiation as the air is released, they are trapping a significant amount.
    G'day matey! I hear the big concern is that the core is not being cooled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Right mate, that's why I think they were trying to get more water in there; too much of the rods were exposed (the water level fell) and they were heating up, then the damn things started melting.

And just a little while ago there was a BIG ASS explosion at the plant (white smoke so likely steam/water vapour, and a bit of rubbish tossed out as well), and the authorities have just postponed their scheduled press conference where they were supposed to tell everyone just what the fuck happened here.

Official dead count is 521. I know some sources are saying over 1,000, and they fully expect that amount, but this number refers to those actually accounted for.

Right mate, that's why I think they were trying to get more water in there; too much of the rods were exposed (the water level fell) and they were heating up, then the damn things started melting.

And just a little while ago there was a BIG ASS explosion at the plant (white smoke so likely steam/water vapour, and a bit of rubbish tossed out as well), and the authorities have just postponed their scheduled press conference where they were supposed to tell everyone just what the fuck happened here.

Official dead count is 521. I know some sources are saying over 1,000, and they fully expect that amount, but this number refers to those actually accounted for.
    The big ass explosion was in reactor 1. They are saying it could be the containment building only. The footage of the explosion shows the skin of the plant ripped off. The exclusion zone was officially 10K, though the Prime Minister ordered it to be 20K after the explosion. An Aussie journalist has reported that his crew got stopped on the highway 60K away with no chance of going further.

There could be a radiation leak there, but only if the casing of the reactor splits. The Aussie news service I was watching was reporting a whispering amongst the populace of Tokyo about radiation drifting south. What have you heard?
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 03-12-2011 at 05:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pvezz Guest
    HKK, again, thanks for the updates, luv. Where are you geographically in terms of where the damage was? I simply cannot fathom what's going on over there, but I'm hanging on every word, hun.

Giada Guest
    Catching news blurbs this morning and an American teacher interviewed stated earthquakes in Japan at the 6.0 range are common. Children in school are taught drills, and move quickly under their desk when they begin.

Lucky Us ...

We who live along the Pacific Coast are in The Pacific Ring of Fire, 90% of global earthquakes are in this region.

Along the Kona Coast, Big Island hotel lobby's were flooded, streets and roads impairing transportation.

Crescent City, California had 8 foot swells, destroying boats and parts of the marina. Four coastal counties in California were declared a national emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    There could be a radiation leak there, but only if the casing of the reactor splits. The Aussie news service I was watching was reporting a whispering amongst the populace of Tokyo about radiation drifting south. What have you heard?
    By now, they are freely admitting there has been a radiation leak. Far more troubling is the fact that since almost immediately after the quake and especially after the nuclear reactor accident, motherfucking scumbags have taken to Twitter and the internet to spread horrific rumors, and telling people to "spread the word." It's gotten so bad that the Chief Cabinet Secretary (who is getting major props for his work in the face of this, as opposed to the PM, who is still getting jeers) had to go on record and tell folk: STOP SENDING BULLSHIT CHAIN LETTERS. The Nuclear Safety Agency (yeah yeah, perhaps a oxymoron) put the same thing on their site.

Everyone knows that we're not getting the total picture re the nuclear accident, not least because they themselves don't know what's going down yet, but nothing is worse than some anonymous fucksticks posting "shhh, we heard from a guy who works at the plant that...blah blah blah" and scaring the crap out of already-traumatized folk.

Thanks everyone for your concern! Tokyo is about 400km from the main areas of damage. We all got our nuts juggled in the quake, but nothing that could even compare with what's going on up north. We were spared major tsunami damage.

DonnaMc Guest
    That nuclear stuff is really scary. Do you think they are not telling everything? Thanks for answering our questions, I too, am hanging on every word.

pvezz Guest
    I don't even want to think about the devastation had Toyko been directly hit.

Judy, wonder how long it'll be before the scam artists start THEIR bullshit to cash in on everyone's tragedy? Someone will come up with something to steal $$$ from people.

Klopek Guest
    By now, they are freely admitting there has been a radiation leak. Far more troubling is the fact that since almost immediately after the quake and especially after the nuclear reactor accident, motherfucking scumbags have taken to Twitter and the internet to spread horrific rumors, and telling people to "spread the word." It's gotten so bad that the Chief Cabinet Secretary (who is getting major props for his work in the face of this, as opposed to the PM, who is still getting jeers) had to go on record and tell folk: STOP SENDING BULLSHIT CHAIN LETTERS. The Nuclear Safety Agency (yeah yeah, perhaps a oxymoron) put the same thing on their site.

Everyone knows that we're not getting the total picture re the nuclear accident, not least because they themselves don't know what's going down yet, but nothing is worse than some anonymous fucksticks posting "shhh, we heard from a guy who works at the plant that...blah blah blah" and scaring the crap out of already-traumatized folk.

Thanks everyone for your concern! Tokyo is about 400km from the main areas of damage. We all got our nuts juggled in the quake, but nothing that could even compare with what's going on up north. We were spared major tsunami damage.
    Yeah, rumors suck but people start coming to their own conclusions wrong or right and the lack of official information fuels that. I've worked in a non nuclear power plant for 20yrs and from experience during a crisis everyone gets called in to limit damage and restore normal operation if possible. My fear is that they've had all available engineers on site when the blast occurred.
    Judging from video on CNN etc. the blast was massive and pray it did'nt kill anyone. Japan will overcome, this just happens to be the shitty part.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post
    That nuclear stuff is really scary. Do you think they are not telling everything? Thanks for answering our questions, I too, am hanging on every word.
    Hiya Donna! They are not telling everything they know, in large part because they aren't quite sure themselves. But the latest word is that the roof was blown off the first reactor, but the interior structure and loops are still intact. If true, this is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I don't even want to think about the devastation had Toyko been directly hit.

Judy, wonder how long it'll be before the scam artists start THEIR bullshit to cash in on everyone's tragedy? Someone will come up with something to steal $$$ from people.
    PVezz, you are absolutely right. If Tokyo had been hit by this, I'd be contacting you kids via Scott from beyond the grave, and my dumplings would be on a fast boat to Uncle Neil's in Singapore. Tokyo's long overdue for a biggie, and no one kids themselves that we'd walk away from it.

Scam artists...yeah. Right now there are NO TV commercials yet (a nice bonus!) and the only folk making money are the supermarkets and folk selling earthquake safety kits. Insurance here deliberately doesn't cover big-ass earthquake damage, though the government does provide relief in cases like this. But I share your distrust of scumbag human nature; I'm sure the roaches will come out of the woodwork in due time. In the meantime tho, the Japanese are extraordinarily good to each other in times like this.

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Hiya Donna! They are not telling everything they know, in large part because they aren't quite sure themselves. But the latest word is that the roof was blown off the first reactor, but the interior structure and loops are still intact. If true, this is good news.

PVezz, you are absolutely right. If Tokyo had been hit by this, I'd be contacting you kids via Scott from beyond the grave, and my dumplings would be on a fast boat to Uncle Neil's in Singapore. Tokyo's long overdue for a biggie, and no one kids themselves that we'd walk away from it.

Scam artists...yeah. Right now there are NO TV commercials yet (a nice bonus!) and the only folk making money are the supermarkets and folk selling earthquake safety kits. Insurance here deliberately doesn't cover big-ass earthquake damage, though the government does provide relief in cases like this. But I share your distrust of scumbag human nature; I'm sure the roaches will come out of the woodwork in due time. In the meantime tho, the Japanese are extraordinarily good to each other in times like this.
    I saw one reporter talk about when the big earthquake hit how people couldn't stand on their own because of the violent shaking. He said strangers were holding on to one another in order to keep standing upright, reaching out to others and forming a chain type of thing. Its nice to see that their human compassion stayed intact during the most dire of times unlike some cities here in the US.

DonnaMc Guest
    What's the latest news ya'll are getting on the nuclear situation? Here, they only say that there MAY be a meltdown happening.

Hi everyone. I've made my Facebook page viewable by anyone, and am posting pretty much constantly as news comes in. Please come look here if interested. My name is Judy Howland.

CORONERGAL Guest
    So glad to hear Kitty and Neil are alive and well. Same with our hags in southern and northern California. My aunt lives in San Francisco and I was worried about her but she's just fine. She lives no where near the beach. A friend of mine from high school lives right by the beach. She's doing great as well. My heart goes out to everyone with family in Japan and Hawaii. I think this may be the only time I'm thankful I live in the middle of the desert.

Hi everyone. I've made my Facebook page viewable by anyone, and am posting pretty much constantly as news comes in. Please come look here if interested. My name is Judy Howland.
    I just looked for you on Facebook, and couldn't find you/figure out which one was you, as it turns out there's a whole bunch of Judy Howlands on there. Could you possibly post a link, or PM one to me?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinTMP View Post
    I just looked for you on Facebook, and couldn't find you/figure out which one was you, as it turns out there's a whole bunch of Judy Howlands on there. Could you possibly post a link, or PM one to me?
    Check your PM's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RaRaRamona Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6K6JcAB9T0

Completely freaked me out. is that dude sedated?

jeca Guest
    I'm glad to hear Neil and kitty are ok! I was worried about our hags. I've been watching the news constantly, and I am just heartbroken.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post

WTF? I dunno if he's doing it for dramatic effect, or what, but he's giving us whiteys in Japan a bad name. Put down the bong, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post

Dramatic stuff, I was on the edge of my seat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Winslow Guest
    Japan Earthquake: before and after

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/ja...eforeafter.htm

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    My heart aches for Japan; such a beautiful country. I was just there about a month ago. The images on TV are really horrific. When it happened it was surreal to hear the news. The craziness of the all the warnings near the area - just thankful that S. Korea was no affected. So unbelievably sad.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post
    My heart aches for Japan; such a beautiful country. I was just there about a month ago. The images on TV are really horrific. When it happened it was surreal to hear the news. The craziness of the all the warnings near the area - just thankful that S. Korea was no affected. So unbelievably sad.

Glad you checked in, too, MJD

Pat MaGroin Guest

Japan Earthquake: Before and After Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post

I am going to post the same link that Winslow posted (above) -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

Very Dramatic Pictures. If you roll your mouse over the pictures, it shows you EXACTLY what has happened to Japan in that area. The 'Before' Pictures are loaded on the screen and you roll your mouse over the Picture to see the 'After' effects. Sobering pictures - Japan is going to need a lot of help. This is an absolutely horrible disaster, the devastation is epic in it's proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post

Very Dramatic Pictures. If you roll your mouse over the pictures, it shows you EXACTLY what has happened to Japan in that area. The 'Before' Pictures are loaded on the screen and you roll your mouse over the Picture to see the 'After' effects. Sobering pictures - Japan is going to need a lot of help. This is an absolutely horrible disaster, the devastation is epic in it's proportions.

No words. Very sobering is right. My heart goes out to everyone in Japan.
    Cindy

RaRaRamona Guest
    WTF? I dunno if he's doing it for dramatic effect, or what, but he's giving us whiteys in Japan a bad name. Put down the bong, dude!
    :P He's a reporter

Dramatic stuff, I was on the edge of my seat.
    I doubt you're ever on the edge of your seat Neil. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Amazing. Thank you for the link. I kept thinking, I hope thanks to the warnings most people were out of there before it came.

G'day matey! I hear the big concern is that the core is not being cooled.
    Yeah, I heard something like that.

Neil, glad you're okay!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Pat MaGroin Guest

Hiromitsu Shinkawa - Found adrift on his home's roof, 10 miles at sea

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...cued-fukushima

Lucky...

A 65-year-old man has been found on the roof of his floating house nearly 10 miles out at sea, two days after the tsunami that devastated the north-east coast of Japan.
    Hiromitsu Shinkawa must have resigned himself to his fate when he was swept away by the retreating tsunami that roared ashore in his home town of Minami Soma in Fukushima prefecture.

His wife, who was with him when the tsunami hit, has not been found

Check your PM's
    Thanks!

Pat MaGroin Guest

US experts fear 'Chernobyl-like' crisis for Japan

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...116149/1/.html

It may get a lot worse...

US nuclear experts warned Saturday that pumping sea water to cool a quake-hit Japanese nuclear reactor was an "act of desperation" that may foreshadow a Chernobyl-like disaster.

Pat MaGroin Guest

275 Aftershocks Since 9.0 Earthquake Hit Japan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-efforts.html

Cars that were ready to be exported...

Food Lines

The wave from a tsunami crashes over a street in Miyako City

Pat MaGroin Guest

Cooling Systems At 6 Nuclear Reactors Have Failed

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77230.html

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Sunday another reactor of its quake-hit Fukushima nuclear power plants had lost its cooling functions, while at least 15 people at a nearby hospital were found to have been exposed to radioactivity.
    It was the sixth reactor overall at the Fukushima No. 1 and No. 2 plants to undergo cooling failure since the massive earthquake and ensuing tsunami struck Japan on Friday.
    The disaster raised fears over radioactive leaks from the plants after cooling systems there were hampered, most seriously at the No. 1 reactor.

1karenhb Guest
    Glad to hear our Asian area hags checked in. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan.

These photos blow my mind.

I am going to do my best to quit complaining about my life and problems. I just can't imagine the daily struggles and heartache for the quake victims.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Yeah, I heard something like that.

Neil, glad you're okay!
    Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinTMP View Post
    Thanks!
    Avec pleasure.

I heard on the BBC that reactor 3 has popped as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pryncis Guest
    I have a friend in the US Navy stationed in Japan and he's been called underway. He and his crew will be searching for remains... He's usually all hyped up when his ship goes out, but not this time. His family is safe and he's asking for prayers... the crew will need a bunch of them to get through what they are about to encounter...

There has been another explosion on a third reactor in the complex. As far as I know the reactor casings are still intact. That makes three reactors exploded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

monroe27 Guest
    My thoughts and prayers goes out to everyone in Japan, this is so sad. Kittykitty, i'm very happy to hear that you are ok. I'll be thinking about you. You as well Neil. glad to hear you are ok too!

STsFirstmate Guest
    There has been another explosion on a third reactor in the complex. As far as I know the reactor casings are still intact. That makes three reactors exploded.
    If someone else has already posted this in the thread I apologize but I didn't see it.
    I spent my first 10 years as a working engineering in the manufacturing of radiation monitoring equipment, ionizing dosimeters and Geiger counters etc. By osmosis you end up learning how nuclear plants work. The issue is that in an effort to cool down the rapidly shut down and damaged facilities the cooling water dedicated to the cooling function becomes superheated steam, so super heated that it "cracks" and develops a highly explosive hydrogen bubble. That is what has exploded in both situations I have heard about over there. They have a devil's choice to make about venting the steam. If the container is damaged the steam is dirty so they are doing a balancing act between venting radioactive steam and failing to vent it with sufficient speed and the resulting pressure and hydrogen can and will and has exploded.
    Also the last gasp act of adding sea water and boron might work but it is not just plan B it is plan Z. Plants where they have done this are toast. They can never be used to generate power again. Here in the US that would be an inconvenience because we get about 20%of our power from nuclear but in Japan that is a huge deal because this is a primary power source for them and they are a small land mass and won;t easily be able to replace them quickly.
    What I don;t know is if the plant in question is an open or closed loop system. I do know the first site where they were having problems and had an explosion was almost 40 years old. That could well be an open loop system. That means the water used to cool the fuel also turns the turbines and generates the power. That is very old school and very dangerous and I don't think they have built a system like this is 30 years. Again I have no idea which sort of system these plants are but I am certainly curious.
    The men and women staying at these plants and trying to deal with the situation are as brave as anyone working to deal with this disaster.
    The other thing is Japan has always been considered the gold standard concerning nuclear safety. They provided experts and assistance for Chernobyl when it first happened.
    I certainly wish them luck. They have their work cut out for them, first containment and then the longer more problematic issues of disposal and replacing the power generating capability they lost.
    Just my perspective.
    God bless them and guide them during this perilous time.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post

It's like an Etch-a-Sketch wiping out your picture. Just amazing...unbelieveable...terrible.....heartbreaking. The TOTAL destruction......

I saw this on Good Morning America and just wanted to share.

Your Three Words: Messages to Japan
    This Week's soundtrack is Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain."
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

I was just listening to the BBC World Service. They are reporting that the designer of the nuclear facility has stated that the containment vessels of the reactors were not designed to withstand a tsunami or an earthquake. He noted that the builders of the facility knew this.

I wonder where this is going to go. If it is true, somebody is in deep shit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]