Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dominique Dunne

c l p Guest
    she was a pretty girl and talented so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by c l p View Post
    she was a pretty girl and talented so sad.
    Her father goes into length about the trial in his book "Justice". I think it is mostly his Vanity Fair articles reprinted. It is really good read for anyone interested in the legal system. He also covered OJ and the Menendez Brothers. By far the most touching, though, is when he is talking about Dominique's trial. The judge in the case was terrible and she did NOT get justice from the system (and I don't say that often).

LitaMalibu Guest
    I'm watching Poltergeist right now on TCM and it got me thinking. I remember hearing something on I think the E True Hollywood Story that her friend who was inside while she was being choked turned on the Poltergeist soundtrack to drown out the yelling going on. Have no idea if that is true or not, but everytime I hear the Poltergeist Theme, I get the creeps now. Image what that guy must feel like.

Vamp Guest
    She never got the justice she deserved but she made her father search for justice for other victims.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    Wandered by a Dominique fan site a while back...where the killer, still going by John Maura, had contacted the site owner and almost commanded him to take the info on the murder down. He said he should be allowed to move on with his life and get past his 'mistake', or some twaddle to that effect. The E-mail was right there on the site, for the public to laugh at.

In contrast, the same site has a hand-written response from Dominique to a fan letter (I think from the site owner). Just reading the letter, she seems to have been the sweetest, funniest young woman.

Why does the world have to be so tragic?

John Connor Guest
    She truly is forever young.
    In some ways her murder made her father an even bigger nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Nvr_Sk_to_Tll View Post
    Wandered by a Dominique fan site a while back...where the killer, still going by John Maura, had contacted the site owner and almost commanded him to take the info on the murder down. He said he should be allowed to move on with his life and get past his 'mistake', or some twaddle to that effect. The E-mail was right there on the site, for the public to laugh at.

In contrast, the same site has a hand-written response from Dominique to a fan letter (I think from the site owner). Just reading the letter, she seems to have been the sweetest, funniest young woman.

Why does the world have to be so tragic?
    Think this is the page, you are referring to... it has the fanmail reply! Looks very interesting, some great info and there are clips from some of her performances as well, it says that the guestbook has been destroyed by a virus attack, but they are trying to fix it - couldn´t find that email from the killer;

http://www.dddis.de/dominique-dunne-...tro/intro.html

Dominique was beautiful... first read about her on Scott´s page,a nd was very touched by her story... how could that bastard get away with something like that. I never read any of her father´s books, but I might just look them up
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Elizabeth Guest

Dominique

Her trial was a total travesty of justice. And the idea of this man, out of prison and living his life, even making a living with the hands that killed such a wonderful woman, makes me absolutely sick to my stomach.

she apparently was a 'cat lady' and she's ok in my book for that! poor gal.
    pull the string!

Nicki Guest
    Curious if Sweeney or whatever his name is now...ever was arrested again after he did his time. With a temper like he had I can't seem him changing his "spots".

11. 09-02-2009, 10:26 PM

Reason
    Posting someone's personal info.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    ^^bump^^

Has ANYONE been able to track any information on Sweeney/Maura's whereabouts?

Nicki Guest
    Last I heard he was working somewhere in Marin County for a restaurant. Not sure if he is still there? But fairly sure he is still in the Food Industry.
    This was from Johns response to that other website:
    http://users.nlamerica.com/tharden/jmem.html

anonymous - September 14th, 2009 - (view article) [SIZE=2]I found A picture of him at connectics.org. Here is the website. http://www.connectics.org/picnic%20flash.swf
    Apparently he is the director of dining services for Smith Ranch Homes. A living community for disabled persons? I am not sure on that, but his name -John Patrick Maura is listed as this company's Director of Dining Services. So I clicked on the events tab & then the picnic tab & it showed the annual picnic. I am sure the chef in the green shirt in photos numbered 17, 18, 21, 23 & 26 are him. He is now 53 & gained weight but it looks just like him. The creep- then Sweeney- in the court photos had a peculiar muppet-like face as does this guy. He was a very dangerous guy. [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Nicki; 04-08-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    LMAO Dr Pepper duds. I remember that!

What a cool story!

I'm a pepper, you're a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too, or something like that, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LitaMalibu View Post
    I'm watching Poltergeist right now on TCM and it got me thinking. I remember hearing something on I think the E True Hollywood Story that her friend who was inside while she was being choked turned on the Poltergeist soundtrack to drown out the yelling going on. Have no idea if that is true or not, but everytime I hear the Poltergeist Theme, I get the creeps now. Image what that guy must feel like.
    I don't think that's quite right. I think David Packer (the dude that was there that night) claims he turned the TV up or something, not the Poltergeist soundtrack. That sounds like a freaky urban legend.

Packer still gets a bit of hate on his IMDb board. Can't say I'm totally surprised because it is IMDb (troll central), but none of us really know how we're going to respond to something. Personally, I find it hard to understand how he could just do nothing that night, but I guess he was really scared...or just really cowardly. I don't know.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Kimmell Guest
    I have often wondered if the man who killed this beautiful woman dreams about what he did, or sees a woman who looks like Dominique and thinks of her?
    Sad...so sad.

sablegsd Guest
    Packer is a coward.

RaRaRamona Guest
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...t=David+Packer

I started this thread a long time ago & kept it separate out of respect for DD, so this wouldn't turn into a Packer hating thread. Since her thread's been bumped I'm interested in everyone's thought on him as well. On his thread, if possible.

trishsixxm Guest
    He's gone on with his life and Dominique will forever be 23 or however young she was when he killed her. But she now has both her parents with her.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    I think if David had insisted on at least standing in the doorway while Dominique went outside to talk to the shitbag, then Sweeney might've held back, maybe even left. At most he would have started his violent actions anyhow, but David would have been right there ready to charge out and make some commotion and get help

trishsixxm Guest
    That's something he's kicking himself in the ass about everyday I bet!

donaldshelton Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Wow, its so hard to imagine her at that age !
    She would be 51 now!!!

Just watched her last movie, "The Shadow Riders". She played "Sissy" in the movie. RIP DD.

Poor Dominique. She was a good actress, and she didn´t deserve to be ill-treated and killed.

In a spanish local TV channel (ETB, of the spanish region of Basque Country), a program make an video (in spanish) about the story of Dominique.
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

Bazzal Guest
    Here is all of the information on John Sweeney/Maura, you can even give him a call at home if you're curious as to what it feels like to speak to a murderer:

66A MARIPOSA AVE
    SAN ANSELMO, CA 94960

Previous Cities: San Anselmo, CA
    Seattle, WA (Last Seen: 02/1990)
    Seattle, WA (Last Seen: 03/1990)
    Redwood City, CA (Last Seen: 04/1990)
    Seattle, WA (Last Seen: 11/1992)
    Philadelphia, PA (Last Seen: 02/1993)
    Seattle, WA (Last Seen: 03/2000)
    Redwood City, CA (Last Seen: 04/2000)
    Seattle, WA (Last Seen: 11/2000)
    San Carlos, CA (Last Seen: 07/2001)
    Kentfield, CA (Last Seen: 10/2003)
    San Anselmo, CA (Last Seen: 06/2005)

Names & Aliases: John Sweeney
    John T Sweeney
    John P Maura
    John Patrick Maura
    John Maura

Date of Birth: 12/23/1955
    Phone Numbers: 215-893-0439
    215-893-1202
    283-8649
    248-7654
    628-3649

Bazzal Guest
    Also, Sweeney declared bankruptcy in 2001.

YuukaK Guest
    Does anyone know if her dad is buried near her? I heard he had passed as well.

Wasnt her brother in An American Werewolf In London?

Quote Originally Posted by YuukaK View Post
    Does anyone know if her dad is buried near her? I heard he had passed as well.
    Her father and her are buried in different cemeteries: She is buried in Westwood Memorial Park (Los Angeles), and he is buried in Cove Cemetery, Conneticut.
    Info links about the graves of them here:
    -Dominique:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=1445
    -Dominick:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=41182576
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

NakedScotsman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese View Post
    Wasnt her brother in An American Werewolf In London?
    Yeah, her brother is Griffin Dunne, who played Jack in An American Werewolf In London.

Town Without Pity Guest
    [QUOTE=RaRaRamona;199409]I feel conflicted about this guy.

In the autumn of 1982, the work at the set of the science fiction series ??V? begun. Dominique got the role of Robin Maxwell for the three episodes of the miniseries. The scenes for the first episode were already shot and the second one was also nearly completed, when she met with another actor from the cast of ??V?, the 20-year old David Packer, on October 30 at her home to rehearse some scenes together with him. At about 8:45 p.m. John Sweeney showed up, only ten minutes after he had already phoned Dominique. David Packer asked, if he should leave, but Dominique wanted him to stay, while she went outside to speak with her ex-boyfriend. On the driveway, they started to argue. Sweeney begged for reconciliation. But Dominique, tired of all the discussions and his violence, obviously refused him and wanted him to leave. But like in the quarrel they had five weeks before, he suddenly grabbed her by her neck and dragged her along the driveway up to the back yard of the house next door, where he started to strangle her. The petite actress (5'1'' / 1.55 m, 112 pounds) had no chance to resist against the physical strength of John Sweeney (6'1'' / 1.84 m, nearly 200 pounds).

In the meantime, David Packer witnessed their loud discussion outside with fear. He later stated, that he feared for his own life because of John Sweeney's obvious anger and jealousy. Suddenly, he heard two screams and a thud. Scared, he called the police, but the officer told him that the scene was out of his department's jurisdiction. Then, Packer tried to phone a friend, leaving a message on the tape of his answering machine, saying that if he was found dead, the killer was John Sweeney. After a while, he went outside. Nearby the driveway, he saw Dominique lying on the ground without moving and John Sweeney crouching beside her. Sweeney wanted him to call the police, and so David Packer did again. After a few minutes, the police arrived. They found Dominique unconscious and so they called for an ambulance, which arrived five minutes later at the scene. They rushed Dominique immediately into the nearby Cedars Sinai Hospital. On the way, her heart had come to a full stop, but it was possible to restore her to life after she arrived at the hospital. But the results of the examinations showed, that Dominique's brain was heavily damaged because of the anoxaemia during the strangulation, and that there would be no real chance to reverse the death of her brain. Nevertheless, the doctors made every effort to restore the cerebral functions, but without a success. After five days, on November 4, her parents signed her off the life-support systems, and Dominique died instantly, at 11:00 a.m. After she died, her heart and her kidneys have been donated to the hospital for transplants.

He admitted he was afraid for his own life & stayed in the safety of the house instead of helping Dominique. Even if I was terrified & Sweeney had a gun, I feel like I would have called the police until they took em seriously. I would run down the street screaming for help. I could not have let her be murdered on the other side of the wall.

How can he show his face?

I don't know how I missed all this on this story. I never knew there was a guy in the house. I'm dumb founded.....One night while the man and I were watching TV, i hear screaming from the bathroom window in the back of the house. behind my house is a church parking lot and then two doors down a huge park, so we do hear screaming on occasion. I turned off the light and I could see this man beating up this girl, banging her head on the cement. I at once got the phone, pointed the man to the window and called the police which at the time were about 1 1/2 miles away. 911 said don't go out there, well my husband said forget that he's killing her, grabbed the trusty bat and I stayed on the phone....she kept telling me it they are 2 min away....hubby went out there and the guy said get back, I have a gun...he backed up a little...he told the guy the police where on there way. I have to throw in here, this is off a main street, massive cars are driving past...I can't believe they didn't see the man with the baseball bat and wonder, hm? he went back to beating her and banging her head on the ground, she was still talking to him, saying I'm sorry honey....egghhh...the police finally pulled into one of the driveways and he ran out the other one into the park...you'd think the police know this parking lot as they take there break in it every night they would have covered both driveways....they didn't catch him till 3 days later and all the info we got about her is that a female was assulted and taken to the hospital....I was sick to my stomach afterward....the man was on fire...he so wanted to go beat the hell out of that guy but didn't know if he really had a gun, he said I had to think of my family and her and he felt bad for not getting him off her. I don't think I could have hid in the house...just going out there and yelling crazy might have stopped him for a min for him to realize what he was doing in the craze. Although I think he looked wacko anyway...but I guess you don't know what your going to do in that type of situation.....I felt bad for her family and read her Dads books and I know if was horrible for them. Now that I've typed this out 3 times and the damn lap top keeps cutting out on me, I better hit post....but thanks RARA for correcting that for me, I had no idea he was in the house....I don't know how I missed that or it's just that old age thing.......no...I missed it.

Pooh-Bear Guest
    I have wanted to post about Doninique Dunne but felt I had nothing new to offer. Everyone here seems to have a good handle on the story. I hope you have read "Fatal Charms", by her father. I did some digging on John Thomas Sweeney to see if anything new could be found about him. For those of you in an about the Bay Area of San Francisco, you might find this disturbing. If the reports are correct he is working for the retirement home at Smith Ranch in Marin County. I am not good at linking but I will attempt to do so. PB

http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/jsp/db/board.jsp?id=6816

I
    f this fails..go to google and punch in John Thomas Sweeney Captain Kundalini

Pooh-Bear Guest
    I am very new here to Death Central, so perhaps I am too stupid to play the game. Maybe I needed to become a monster too, so I can fit in. I wanted to work with members, not just to fit in, but to help and become part of something I thought was important. I have discovered that I was wrong. Since I have been here I have chatted with 2 people that want to kill themselves. One was blown out of the water by a moderator who acted like the giving of her time should be recorded by God himself. For the record young lady I have every message in word. Should she kill herself forget the hard drive at death central, I have it all. What, the powers that be said to remove links to hot lines for people that are thinking about killing themselves. What are your crazy? Considering the content here and the people that gravitate to this location it should be a major thread if you really cared. Bottom line is that you don't. You people are in love with death and the destruction that it creates. Some of you are unhappy if the bloody mess is not shown in pictures. What is wrong with you? Do you really want to fight the good fight? Than why are you not interested in the fact that Dominique Dunne's killer works at a nursing home that one of your parents could be at. Or anyone's parent could be at. What he is now a nice sweet guy? How come when a member came on an talked about taking her life and leaving her children behind at lease 10 of you viewed her post and few responded. Were you secretly hoping she would so you could have something to chat about and say how sorry you were. You think I am wrong to bring this to your attention. Go a head say something. But considering you are all cowards you will not....cause it is on my hard drive. Pooh Bear aka Samantha.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh-Bear View Post
    I am very new here to Death Central, so perhaps I am too stupid to play the game. Maybe I needed to become a monster too, so I can fit in. I wanted to work with members, not just to fit in, but to help and become part of something I thought was important. I have discovered that I was wrong. Since I have been here I have chatted with 2 people that want to kill themselves. One was blown out of the water by a moderator who acted like the giving of her time should be recorded by God himself. For the record young lady I have every message in word. Should she kill herself forget the hard drive at death central, I have it all. What, the powers that be said to remove links to hot lines for people that are thinking about killing themselves. What are your crazy? Considering the content here and the people that gravitate to this location it should be a major thread if you really cared. Bottom line is that you don't. You people are in love with death and the destruction that it creates. Some of you are unhappy if the bloody mess is not shown in pictures. What is wrong with you? Do you really want to fight the good fight? Than why are you not interested in the fact that Dominique Dunne's killer works at a nursing home that one of your parents could be at. Or anyone's parent could be at. What he is now a nice sweet guy? How come when a member came on an talked about taking her life and leaving her children behind at lease 10 of you viewed her post and few responded. Were you secretly hoping she would so you could have something to chat about and say how sorry you were. You think I am wrong to bring this to your attention. Go a head say something. But considering you are all cowards you will not....cause it is on my hard drive. Pooh Bear aka Samantha.
    The content of your post leads me to believe that you have not read much of this board at all. We are not monsters. We don't hope anyone dies. We are outraged when criminals are let free and get away with their horrible crimes. You are obviously not able to separate that from our fascination with talking about death. They have a policy here to not allow threads about people wanting to kill themselves. It is not discriminate, mods will close the thread and tell them to call a suicide hotline. I am sorry that you don't seem to "get" us here and that this is all you've taken out of your time here.

And I don't know if you are just sensitive because you did not get a reply to your post.. you need to not take that personally. I have not received a reply many times, and many times I have read something and not replied and appreciated it nonetheless. If you look at the time stamps in this thread you will see it's not a really fast moving one with posts every day. Hell, this page goes back over 3 YEARS! It's not you. Perhaps one of those that is really into this story hadn't read your post yet. I hadn't even seen it at all. I don't read every single thing every time I'm here. Someone would have seen it eventually. Don't get your undies in a bunch over it.

So reading the link posted, where people are going back and forth about John Sweeny and that he changed his last name to Maura, is this him? There is a Maura listed in his obituary. I don't know what the guy looked like though, so I don't know if it's him. Just wondering.

Pooh-Bear Guest
    No..I was up till 4am fearing the loss of a member. Color me stupid. I just don't know which one of us in not getting it. I will not both any of you any more. I am not that smart.

No..I was up till 4am fearing the loss of a member. Color me stupid. I just don't know which one of us in not getting it. I will not both any of you any more. I am not that smart.
    We have been asked not to allow suicide threads because we cannot offer professional help. Back on topic.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I agree with the moderators that we are not professionals and I would not know what to do in that situation. We are not prepared for that. You are not bothering anyone, and I never said you weren't smart. I just don't think it's fair to call us monsters because we are not comfortable dealing with someone who has problems we are not prepared for.

And back to Dominique. I am really curious about the link Pooh posted and the obituary that was there. That would be about the right age, 55, right? I'd rather that be him that someone working in a nursing home. I certainly hope he is not working with senior citizens. I am surprised that they would not have a rule about hiring convicts though.. this guy is a convicted murderer isn't he? Even though he didn't get a fair sentence for taking someone's life, he must have something on his record, right?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I agree with the moderators that we are not professionals and I would not know what to do in that situation. We are not prepared for that. You are not bothering anyone, and I never said you weren't smart. I just don't think it's fair to call us monsters because we are not comfortable dealing with someone who has problems we are not prepared for.

And back to Dominique. I am really curious about the link Pooh posted and the obituary that was there. That would be about the right age, 55, right? I'd rather that be him that someone working in a nursing home. I certainly hope he is not working with senior citizens. I am surprised that they would not have a rule about hiring convicts though.. this guy is a convicted murderer isn't he? Even though he didn't get a fair sentence for taking someone's life, he must have something on his record, right?
    You would think he would have a felony on his record that he would have to state on employment applications, but the law was very different back then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Pooh-Bear Guest
    This is Pooh-Bear speaking. (Not the Zodiac) to which I could speak volumes. But will not. I apologize to all members that I insulted in a moment of rage. As Town Without Pity stated….I did not have the right to take this out on all of you. She is right.

Explaining myself it next to impossible, so I will not bother. D. Dunn’s death makes me crazy. What her father wrote in “Fatal Charms” still makes me bleed. Unless you have read it, commenting should be impossible. The judge told her brother, if you keep crying I will remove you from this court room……REALLY?

John Sweeney is John Maura. He attempted to strangle two other girls before DD. This information was not permitted in court. DD’s parents tried to bring this up. It was refused.

This monster is working in a retirement home in Marin. I really think I am on target here. If I am not…well sorry. But for me it looks good. Dispute that fine. But please check this out before you reject it. This is not right. This man is a murderer. Your parent could be in his care. Would you not want me to inform you of this? Gee….Crazy PB

http://www.dddis.de/dominique-dunne-...biography.html
    Last edited by Pooh-Bear; 02-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Nelliebean Guest
    Perhaps you should call the care home in Marin and see what they say. I wouldn't be surprised if a background check wasn't performed.

literaleigh Guest
    I'm new to the forum, but I'm the "Leigh" credited for providing info and photos that are used on Dominique's "Find-a-Death" page. I live in the South but visited Los Angeles several times, many years ago. When I was 17, through my father's job, I was able to meet with the judge from the Sweeney murder trial, Judge Burton Katz. He was a nice to me but totally refused to take responsibility for the outcome of the trial. He said he had to impose the restriction that Sweeney's past be inadmissible, under CA law. Not sure what I think. He was a nice man but I will always side with the Dunne family, and with justice. I have, since the age of 14 when Dominique was murdered, been the ultimate Dominique Dunne fan. I had just seen her in "Poltergeist" and I admired her talent and her beauty, and it came as a great shock to me when she was murdered a few months later. Next month will be 30 years since my great interest and love for her began, since that sad night in West Hollywood when she was brutally strangled by Sweeney.

My interest led me to communicate many times with Dominick Dunne, her father. I have a letter he wrote me and an email he sent a few years later. He was a very sweet man, who grieved very hard for his beloved daughter. She was his princess, his only surviving daughter (Dominique had two sisters who died at birth). Dominique was a darling young woman. I have talked to people who actually knew her and they all say she was very sweet and kind, funny and smart, and also quite innocent in the ways of the world, to have grown up in Los Angeles and traveled extensively. Sweeney was her first serious boyfriend, although just about every straight male who met her fell for her. She was always wanting to take care of people and she saw Sweeney as a damaged soul who'd not had the loving childhood she'd had

literaleigh Guest
    ....and she wanted to see of she could help him by loving him. She realized too late that she needed to get away from him, and by that time he was already dangerously out of control. What happened to her was so tragic...I believe had she lived she'd be a very famous actress today. She had a great talent and was absolutely, angelically beautiful. I often think of "John Maura" and how he lives with himself, and how David Packer can sleep at night. When Dominick Dunne died in 2009, all I could think was that I hoped and prayed he was reunited with his daughter.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SistaSara View Post
    In the fall of 1981, after completing work on Poltergeist, Dunne met and later moved in with a popular Los Angeles chef, John Thomas Sweeney, who was working at the restaurant Ma Maison. After a short and abusive relationship, Dunne ended her relationship with Sweeney. A few weeks later, Sweeney strangled Dunne in the driveway of her home after she refused to reconcile with him. She died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California a few days later, at the age of 22.
    Her last TV appearance, aired after her death, was in an episode of Hill Street Blues. She played a teenage mother who is a victim of parental abuse. Some of her bruise marks were actual bruises inflicted from abuse by Sweeney the night before filming.[citation needed] The episode was dedicated to her memory.
    Sweeney was convicted of manslaughter and was sentenced to 6 and a half years in prison. He served less than four years before his release, having been given credit for time served before conviction.
    Dominique Dunne was buried in Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery near family friend Natalie Wood. In 1988, Heather O'Rourke, Dunne's young Poltergeist co-star, was buried near her.
    I read that it took Dominique 4 long minutes to die! Being strangled!
    And the Sweeney bastard changed his name due to his notoriety. Sweeney a few years after the murder was engaged
    to another young lady only the father of the girl read the story of John Sweeney and the murder of Domingue Dunne
    and called her father Dominick Dunne to check if there was a connection to his daughter's future husband and
    he found out through Dominick that it was the same jerk!
    The marriage was called off!
    This is when Sweeney changed his name. I believe the jerk ass lives and works in a restaurant in the Seattle area
    and may now be married.

Wendy A. Guest
    MoonRabbit, I had heard that too, and I also heard that her brother and their friends would torment him (he deserved it and more) by going to where he worked or maybe lived and would hold up large signs that said something like "a murdered works here" . Do you by chance remember that? Its a been several years since I'd read that. I'm thinking I read it or saw it at the same place with the info you posted. Like I said... it was several years ago. I just can't remember where I saw it.

literaleigh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    I read that it took Dominique 4 long minutes to die! Being strangled!
    And the Sweeney bastard changed his name due to his notoriety. Sweeney a few years after the murder was engaged
    to another young lady only the father of the girl read the story of John Sweeney and the murder of Domingue Dunne
    and called her father Dominick Dunne to check if there was a connection to his daughter's future husband and
    he found out through Dominick that it was the same jerk!
    The marriage was called off!
    This is when Sweeney changed his name. I believe the jerk ass lives and works in a restaurant in the Seattle area
    and may now be married.

This is a true story. The father of the young woman contacted Dominick Dunne through Vanity Fair magazine and Griffin, Dominique's brother, either called the young woman OR I think maybe even flew out to where she was in WA and went to her job and talked to her about why she needed to get away from Sweeney, and she broke off the engagement and returned home to FL. The Dunnes are very good people!!

As for where he is, I think he is director of dining services for some retirement community in Marin County, CA. There is a whole thread about this on this forum. He goes by the name John Patrick Maura now.

Still think what happened in her murder case
    haunted her famous writer father until his dying
    day.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I've been reading more about this case and all I can say is, wow. Sweeney's defense attorney was a real piece of work as was the judge on the case. The judge barred all evidence of Sweeney beating Dominique up prior to the night he strangled her and also would not allow the jury to hear one of Sweeney's ex-girlfriend's testimony about how he beat the hell out her too because Sweeney's attorney whined that it was hearsay. Even the jurors said they would have given him a much lengthier sentence had they heard everything.

Sweeney's whole defense was based on a heat of the moment excuse. He claimed that he and Dominique were going to get back together but when he came over, she was mean to him and said she was just playing him. That's why he supposedly "snapped" and strangled her. Never mind the fact that he strangled her for at least three minutes which is a damn eternity. So basically it was all Dominique's fault that poor Sweeney killed her. A few people have said they don't know how he can live with himself but I can see how he can. He's a sociopath with no conscience. That's clear from his attitude that people need to move on because killing Dominique was a "mistake" in his past.

Anyhow, what got me interested in the case again was Dominick's book The Way We Live Then. It's about his life in Hollywood in the 60s. It's not chalked full of stuff about Dominique but there are some fantastic photos of her as a child in there so if anyone is interested, you should grab it.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

People like him have no feelings, he lost it, took it to far, and this beautiful girl died. I'm sure he has a way of justifying his actions, like O.J, Robert Blake, Phil Specter and even Robert Wagner have in their twisted logic.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

51. 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM
    Reason
    Really?

52. 07-18-2013, 10:00 PM
    Reason
    References deleted post

Didn't know he was out.