Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst ... 234561353 ... LastLast

Thread: Aviation

joS3ph Guest
    Yes, I was flying on September 11. We had departed Memphis on FedEx flight 904, Memphis to Phoenix. Shortly after departure, we heard some chatter on the radio about an airplane crashing into the World Trade Center. We were approximately 100 miles west of Little Rock, AR when we learned of the second plane. It was at this time that we received two ACARS messages. One ACARS message simply stated "land at nearest suitable airport due to national emergency and report position." Memphis Center was already talking about SCATANA at this time.

We made a request to return to Memphis but our request was denied. We diverted to Little Rock, AR and that is where we landed. FedEx had a contract transportation company pick us up and transport us back to Memphis. While riding home, I remarked what a beautiful day it was earlier, but the world suddenly looked so different now. I couldn't put my finger on why and it would take months, if not years to understand it. That drive home seemed very strange and I wonder if some of the others on that freeway were aware themselves of what was happening and whether their worlds had changed too.

Further, the air traffic controllers did one hell of a job on September 11th and they should be commended for getting all of us safely to the ground.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 02-21-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks Jos3ph.....
    and I agree that all ATCs did a outstanding job.
    The thing I remember is how quiet the skys were. That stuck in my mind.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Same here. I worked near Brown Field in San Diego and it was deathly quiet in the skies. Very, very strange.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Yep, me too. As I said I live near the airport and at the time I lived with my mom who is even closer than I am, probably within a mile. Airport noise has been a way of life over there and it was very odd to have no planes going over. My grandfather had died on 9/9/01 and I was not able to go to MO to his funeral. My family was then stuck down there when traffic was grounded and my mom's cousin ended up driving them back to MN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    This place is on my bucket list....and I wouldn't have to go any place else on that vacation. Could sit there the whole time and watch the planes...and drink....and ride the fence....

Thanks Jos3ph for starting this thread..I love to fly, and those pictures taken from the cockpit are outstanding....

You must must must go. It is better than any islands you can think of. The Dutch side is truly gorgeous. It will be the best experience of your life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    For your viewing pleasure, the joy of landing at Hong Kong Kai Tak airport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI
    Oh wow! Thanks for the lead, Barbossa! I have to remember to show this to my husband, he's out of town at the moment and I really don't want to send him a lot of personal email on the company laptop.

To me it looks like several of those landings were shot on the same day (and of course, correct me if I'm wrong, Jo) and several of those landings took place with crosswinds. It shows an excellent example of "crabbing." Imagine if you will how a crab walks, sort of sideways. In order to land in strong crosswinds, the pilot has to bring in the aircraft sort of sideways, and then at the very last second, lines it up to land straight forward.

And Barbossa, when I was looking at that, I was sort of reminded of the approach into San Diego (one of the most tricky airports in the nation). For the last few moments of approach, the planes come in at or below wingtip level of the skyscrapers downtown. For the first-timer pilot, it may be a little unnerving as one descends in a stair-step method because of a hill, and then one notices that they are below the skyscrapers of downtown right before landing. I've heard pilots who come in and look back at the hill and the skyscrapers and say, "I'm not doing that again!" And evidently they do it again, but that's their impression of their first landing in San Diego. And the I was reminded by your location that you are in San Diego, and know what I'm talking about!

There was a parking garage just across the street from the airport fence, right in line for the runway that was built either a foot or 6" too high. One could actually feel the wind currents that were generated when a plane few over just seconds before landing. After much controversy, it was demolished. I think it was the Balboa Parking Garage? This all happened after I left San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    You must must must go. It is better than any islands you can think of. The Dutch side is truly gorgeous. It will be the best experience of your life.

Thanks for the recommendation....when do recommend the best time of year to go is?
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

I had made a post about 9/11 yesterday and when I went to answer the phone, my three-year-old started playing with my computer and the post is gone now.

Joe already answered my question about what he was doing on 9/11, and as he said, the ATC people were the unsung heroes of that day, as well the pilots who had to divert immediately.

My old boy friend worked at Cessna in Wichita and he always flew his Cessna 140 into work and 9/11 was no different. Everyone was glued around the TV's watching this tragedy unfold. When he saw the plane hit the second tower, he knew that all planes were going to be grounded and made arrangements for someone to drive him home from work. It was a while before he could pick it up and he was so sad not to have his C-140 at home while all this was going on.

One of the creepiest things for me was the silence of the skies. I used to live in the approach areas for two airports, one was the city airport, and the other serving a big, private, busy residential airpark. Something was always going overheard most hours. The aircraft silence was so unsettling. Sort of like having a constant noise that you welcome (a radio set to your favorite station, for example) silenced. I can honestly say that the silence of the skies really got to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    And Barbossa, when I was looking at that, I was sort of reminded of the approach into San Diego (one of the most tricky airports in the nation). For the last few moments of approach, the planes come in at or below wingtip level of the skyscrapers downtown. For the first-timer pilot, it may be a little unnerving as one descends in a stair-step method because of a hill, and then one notices that they are below the skyscrapers of downtown right before landing. I've heard pilots who come in and look back at the hill and the skyscrapers and say, "I'm not doing that again!" And evidently they do it again, but that's their impression of their first landing in San Diego. And the I was reminded by your location that you are in San Diego, and know what I'm talking about!

There was a parking garage just across the street from the airport fence, right in line for the runway that was built either a foot or 6" too high. One could actually feel the wind currents that were generated when a plane few over just seconds before landing. After much controversy, it was demolished. I think it was the Balboa Parking Garage? This all happened after I left San Diego.
    Yeah, San Diego Lindbergh Field was #10 on Discovery Channel's 10 most dangerous airports. I believe that not all airline pilots are qualified to land there (joS3ph: correct me if I'm wrong here). The Parking Garage is still there, you can see it on this Google Maps shot (where it says "Golba Architecture Inc"):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lindbergh+field+san+diego&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.063105,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=San+Diego+International+Airport+ (SAN),+San+Diego+International+Airport+-+United+Airlines+Red+Carpet+Club,+Terminal+1+across+from+Gate+18,+3665+N+Harbor+Dr,+S an+Diego,+California+92101&ll=32.72958,-117.173528&spn=0.004057,0.004939&t=h°=90&z=18

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation....when do recommend the best time of year to go is?
    Depends on what kind of weather you want. I've been in April and it is just starting to get hot. 80's and 90's. The last week in April is the queen's birthday and it is like Mardi Gras there. Parties, concerts, it is really fun.

Temps throughout the year http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maart...n_weather.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

joS3ph Guest
    Yes Aviatrix, you are correct about the crosswind landings. In situations where a crosswind is present, the aircraft will adopt a yaw orientation with respect to the runway and will drift laterally as it approaches the runway. These pose significant safety issues when safe operation of the undercarriage requires the body and the velocity of the aircraft to be aligned with the runway at touch down.

To meet these conflicting requirements, three standard procedures are used for executing a safe landing in a cross wind situation. These landings are called the crab, de-crab and sideslip techniques.

N850FD FedEx Panda Express:

Last edited by joS3ph; 02-22-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joS3ph View Post

At first glance this plane looks like it has scorch marks on it!

DonnaMc Guest
    At first glance this plane looks like it has scorch marks on it!
    I know! I had to take a second look myself.

joS3ph Guest
    Yeah, I agree with you. It is certainly not one of my better photographs. I hope to get some better photographs this weekend on a KMEM-PANC flight.

I have received quite a few messages inquiring as to what type of camera equipment I use. I use a Canon EOS 5D, Mark II camera with two lens: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L USM IS (Image Stabilized) lenses.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 02-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.

joS3ph Guest
    Ominous clouds from the flightdeck:

Display shows airplane deviating south of course to avoid thunderstorms.

Last edited by joS3ph; 02-22-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Yeah, I agree with you. It is certainly not one of my better photographs. I hope to get some better photographs this weekend on a KMEM-PANC flight.
    Don't get me wrong, that was a great photo (I love 777's as well). The Panda graphic at first glance, though, makes the plane look like it had a hole blown in it.

joS3ph Guest
    More lightning and clouds from the flightdeck:

Giada Guest
    I wondered why those strange markings were on the plane ... three attempts at looking later ...

More lightning and clouds from the flightdeck
    Do you have internet access while you're flying? Needless to say the technology exists, it seems like it'd be advantageous to give pilots access while in-flight.

joS3ph Guest
    Twin towers at Memphis (KMEM):

Piloting question for joS2ph: Do you still practice navigation using non-GPS means i.e VORs? Are VORs becoming obsolete?

joS3ph Guest
    Do you have internet access while you're flying? Needless to say the technology exists, it seems like it'd be advantageous to give pilots access while in-flight.
    I have Internet access on my iPhone, but no access on the aircraft itself.

joS3ph Guest
    Runway 36R, Memphis International Airport:

joS3ph Guest
    GPS is great and provides a plethora of information but the real key is the flight management system (FMS). Without GPS, the FMS still works great and can provide area navigation. The VORs aren't tuned by the pilot but by the FMS and the VOR/DME provides the FMS position updates just like the GPS would do. So, even without GPS an aircraft that has an operable FMS system would work just like an aircraft that has a GPS system intregrated into their FMS.

The lowest updating the FAA allows for RNP values is DME/DME. So RNAV SID/STARs can be DME/DME/IRU or GPS unless the DME coverage is not enough to provide updates, then it reverts to GPS only procedures. DME/DME/IRU is also allowed for Q Airways which are RNAV2 (RNP2). FMS with just DME/DME is not allowed though. Anything below DME/DME with or without IRU falls into basic RNAV.

Some IFR routes I've flown without GPS include a period of DR in IMC - you're essentially flying "blind" while you wait to come within the rated coverage of the next aid. There's still a lot of "old-school" navigation going on. It will be a long time before traditional radio navaids become truly obsolete.

For those not familiar with aviation, here is a key to the abbreviations:

DME-Distance Measuring Equipment
    DR=Dead Reckoning
    FMS-Flight Management System
    GPS-Global Positioning System
    IFR-Instrument Flight Rules
    IMC-Instrument Meteorological Conditions
    IRU-Inertial Reference Unit
    RNAV-Area Navigation
    RNP-Required Navigation Performance
    SID/STAR-Standard Instrument Departure/Standard Terminal Arrival Route
    VOR-VHF omnidirectional radio range
    Last edited by joS3ph; 02-22-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Abbreviations/Terms Added

Good stuff, thanks for the info!

The shots of the thunder storm is incredible! I had a redeye flight from L.A to N.Y years ago when we had to fly around such a storm. The Captain kept us informed through out. It was the only time when I forgot how scared I was about flying since my attention was diverted to watch this incredible storm. It's much different when you see a storm from the ground. Totally awesome!
    Cindy

Just curious, have you ever seen an aurora borealis in flight? What about fire works on the Fouth of July? And any encounters with those obnoxious people with laser pointers?

Last but not least, what is your opinion of UFOs as in extraterrestrial life forms as opposed to unidentified flying objects such as weather balloons and such? Have you ever had an encounter with UFOs?
    Any day above ground is a good day.

joS3ph Guest
    Geekygirl, I have seen the northern lights and fireworks. The last laser pointer incident I was involved with was in New York, previously we had a laser pointed at us in California. It seems as if it is becoming a common occurrence. I think you will see laser pointers banned in the near future.

I personally have never seen an unidentified flying object. As for extraterrestrial life forms (and the FAA may take away my license!) but, I think anything is possible.

Don't get me wrong, that was a great photo (I love 777's as well). The Panda graphic at first glance, though, makes the plane look like it had a hole blown in it.
    Ya know, the panda is kinda cute... now that I know it's a panda and not the scorch marks I too, originally thought it was. I have my daughter right beside me and she kept asking what it was... I kept saying, hesitantly, "It's an airplane, honey... umm.. now go to sleep." But she kept pointing to the "scorch" marks saying, "what's that on the airplane?" (She's pretty bright, and not much gets past her). I wasn't sure to say at this point, other than "the airplane's OK, now go to sleep." I read further down and saw it was a panda, and at that time I told her it was a panda painted on the plane. She's happy with the answer, but not asleep.

Joe, those t-storm pics are beautiful. I've always loved seeing lightning in thunderstorms...flying a semi-good distance away, of course.

Geekygirl, I have seen the northern lights and fireworks. The last laser pointer incident I was involved with was in New York, previously we had a laser pointed at us in California. It seems as if it is becoming a common occurrence. I think you will see laser pointers banned in the near future.

I personally have never seen an unidentified flying object. As for extraterrestrial life forms (and the FAA may take away my license!) but, I think anything is possible.
    For some reason I thought they were already banned in some states, and I'm thinking that OK is one of them due to an incident at TUL. However, I could be very well wrong on whether this is illegal at this point.

Yes Aviatrix, you are correct about the crosswind landings. In situations where a crosswind is present, the aircraft will adopt a yaw orientation with respect to the runway and will drift laterally as it approaches the runway. These pose significant safety issues when safe operation of the undercarriage requires the body and the velocity of the aircraft to be aligned with the runway at touch down.
    Yeah, ya don't wanna shear the undercarriage off... that just can't be good on the mains...

joS3ph Guest
    They probably are banned in some states now. It is a pain trying to report the laser pointers. What do you tell them? lol.

What happened at TUL. If you don't mind elaborating. Aviatrix, do you ever read any of the Flight Safety Foundation (not FlightSafety International...although they have some excellent publications as well) publications?

http://flightsafety.org/archives-and...s/publications
    Last edited by joS3ph; 02-22-2011 at 07:04 PM.

They should equip aircraft with a gatling gun that can home in on the source of the laser. Better to take out the punk with the laser than crash an airplane in someone's neighborhood.

I'm just kidding. Sort of.

It seems to me I heard on the news, sometime in the last couple weeks, that someone was caught and arrested for pointing a laser pointer at a plane.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We were on vacation at a local beach on the 4th of July last year. We were standing on the balcony of our hotel room watching the fire works when someone from below started shining their laser pointer in our eyes. We had to go inside. I hope they are able to ban those types of laser pointers. They are much too dangerous in the hands of morons.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

joS3ph Guest
    They like to play "laser tag" when we are on final approach. If this continues, something bad will happen. I can guarantee that.

Here is a page that shows what a pilot would see when a laser is pointed at the aircraft:

http://www.pangolin.com/faa/laser-ai...xplanation.htm

Last edited by joS3ph; 02-22-2011 at 07:24 PM.

They probably are banned in some states now. It is a pain trying to report the laser pointers. What do you tell them? lol.

What happened at TUL. If you don't mind elaborating. Aviatrix, do you ever read any of the Flight Safety Foundation (not FlightSafety International...although they have some excellent publications as well) publications?

http://flightsafety.org/archives-and...s/publications
    I'm trying to remember exactly what happened, and I may have to ask my husband when he gets home from out-of-state. Let me explain a little. 18L (the north end of the runway for TUL), sits VERY close to a 4 lane road (46th St. North) On the weekends you'll frequently see tons of air enthusiasts come out to watch the planes land and take-off. One night some ne'er do wells decided to have some "fun" with a laser pointer and nearly blinded several planes coming in, SWA, AA, UAL from what I remember. Tulsa police did arrest them, but I'm not sure what came of that specific case. However, since aviation is a vital industry in Tulsa, I believe they passed a state law prohibited anyone else from trying it. But wouldn't that come under federal law of interferring with a flight crew? I'd be inclined to think so... I don't know. I have read some Flight Safety Foundation stuff, but not a lot since I stopped flying (temporarily, I emphasize). Interestingly enough, there was a story about the ghosts of Eastern 401 published in 1976. It's an intriguing story; however, I have some problems with it, and it's not with "ghosts don't exist." One of the apparitions appeared seated next to a woman in coach, dressed in a flight engineer's uniform. He was unresponsive, so the woman called the FA over to inquire, and he is said to have disappeared in front of a dozen people. She was later shown pics of Loft and Repo by the company, and named Repo was the apparition. My problem: Eastern went to great lengths to cover up and discredit the sightings. But then all of the sudden it appears that they approach a passenger with photos of former crew probably saying, "This didn't happen, but out of these pics, who do think it was?" Seems strange to me. I have other problems with the stories, but don't have time at the moment to go into them. OT: The second to last space shuttle mission is scheduled to lift off at 4:50PM EST tomorrow, 2/24. I've already rearranged my schedule to watch it on NASA TV!

joS3ph Guest
    As previously mentioned, I have been involved in two laser pointer incidents; one each on the east/west coasts.

In addition to local authorities, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Transportation Security Administration and U.S. Department of Homeland Security may investigate aircraft/laser pointer incidents.

Prosecution of this particular crime is handled under United States Code (USC) 18 Section (§) 32(a)(5):

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/2/32

18 USC § 32(a)(5) Performs an act of violence against or incapacitates any individual on such an aircraft, if such act of violence or incapacitation is likely to endanger the safety of such aircraft.

The charge of interfering with the operation of an aircraft carries a maximum penalty of 20 yearsâ?? imprisonment, a five-year term of supervised release and a $250,000 fine.

They should equip aircraft with a gatling gun that can home in on the source of the laser. Better to take out the punk with the laser than crash an airplane in someone's neighborhood.

I'm just kidding. Sort of.
    I hope not. As a pilot of small aircraft that sometimes use busy airports I have a feeling I'd end up in the targeting reticule also. Never underestimate how badly a pilot on the last leg of a 5 day trip wants to get home.
    The cruel, uneventful state
    of apathy releases me
    I value them but I won't cry every time one's wiped out

As previously mentioned, I have been involved in two laser pointer incidents; one each on the east/west coasts.

In addition to local authorities, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Transportation Security Administration and U.S. Department of Homeland Security may investigate aircraft/laser pointer incidents.

Prosecution of this particular crime is handled under United States Code (USC) 18 Section (§) 32(a)(5):

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/2/32

18 USC § 32(a)(5) Performs an act of violence against or incapacitates any individual on such an aircraft, if such act of violence or incapacitation is likely to endanger the safety of such aircraft.
    That's more or less what I thought, that it would be dealt with on a federal level in addition to state. But on the federal level, more harsh sentences could be levied on individuals who think it's funny to try and blind a person piloting a 300+ ton (maximum take-off weight) aircraft as it lands.

Those pics Jo posted with the simulated laser illustrates perfectly how big of a problem this potentially is for pilots on final approach at night.

Now I'm getting a little miffed about this issue and I'm thinking that Barbossa's idea of a Gatlin gun upfront may not be a bad idea in extreme cases. I've got family and friends up there as either pilots or passengers and the thought of kids going out on a lark to play what they believe is a little prank is really sort of upsetting. Gosh, I'm going to possibly get a glass of wine to settle my little brain down.

he charge of interfering with the operation of an aircraft carries a maximum penalty of 20 yearsâ?? imprisonment, a five-year term of supervised release and a $250,000 fine.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by lardass View Post
    I hope not. As a pilot of small aircraft that sometimes use busy airports I have a feeling I'd end up in the targeting reticule also. Never underestimate how badly a pilot on the last leg of a 5 day trip wants to get home.
    Sometimes they just gotta wait their turn!

Last edited by Barbossa; 02-24-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Picture Disappeared

joS3ph Guest
    Yes Aviatrix, it can be very dangerous and it is very irritating to have a laser pointed at you on final approach. It is unfortunate (as always), that the actions of a few affect everyone. Incidentally, the green laser pointers are the ones that are responsible for problems.

Wow Barbossa, that Cessna is really small compared to that Boeing 744 (I ass*u*me it is a 747-400 anyway!). Again, I appreciate all of you participating and making this thread a success. I am especially thankful to Aviatrix and Barbossa for your support and suggestions.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 02-24-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Sometimes they just gotta wait their turn!

What a great picture! It made me chuckle.
    Cindy

joS3ph Guest
    Barbossa's picture definitely makes one realize just how BIG the 747 really is. Can you imagine the wake turbulence created by the 747?

Barbossa's picture definitely makes one realize just how BIG the 747 really is. Can you imagine the wake turbulence created by the 747?
    Yes. It's a good thing that the little guy is in the front, not the back.
    Cindy

46. 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM

STsFirstmate Guest
    Pre 9/11 before they were so paranoid about it my buddy and I would end the afternoon after fishing in Boston harbor by anchoring right off the end of one of the major runways at Logan. I would say about 1000 yards off shore.
    We wanted to be dead center underneath the planes taking off. The big 747s in addition to destroying our hearing would actually create a waterspout off the tip of each wing that would follow the plane out about 2500 yards. They would be about 15 feet high. It was so cool! Now we would never be able to do anything like that.
    Regards,
    Mary

I grew up in Inglewood, CA and lived by the north runway of LAX. So the planes would be real low over my house (I was a few miles from the runway). I'm surprised my hearing isn't worst than it is now. One of the hightlights was when the Vietnam war ended and C-5's were coming in. These things were huge, bigger than 747's. You could hear their screaming engines and it was very odd sound compared the normal commercial jets. It really sounded like a woman screaming! All of us would run out of houses when we heard them coming. Very cool to see these babies coming in.

Edited to add that they may have not been C-5's, but were told by neighbors that they were. Trying to find a picture of one of the '70's, but can't find one that looked like what I saw. Maybe someone can shed light on what it really was.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 02-24-2011 at 01:31 PM.
    Cindy

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I grew up in Inglewood, CA and lived by the north runway of LAX. So the planes would be real low over my house (I was a few miles from the runway). I'm surprised my hearing isn't worst than it is now. One of the hightlights was when the Vietnam war ended and C-5's were coming in. These things were huge, bigger than 747's. You could hear their screaming engines and it was very odd sound compared the normal commercial jets. It really sounded like a woman screaming! All of us would run out of houses when we heard them coming. Very cool to see these babies coming in.
    Ok you have touched my heart now. During Desert Storm I flew into Saudi Arabia on a C5 Galaxy. It was an amazing ride and we made several stops along the way to pick up and drop off stuff and people. We flew out of old Pease AFB which is no longer around.
    It was amazing.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galaxy.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	30066  

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Ok you have touched my heart now. During Desert Storm I flew into Saudi Arabia on a C5 Galaxy. It was an amazing ride and we made several stops along the way to pick up and drop off stuff and people. We flew out of old Pease AFB which is no longer around.
    It was amazing.
    Regards,
    Mary
    How cool Mary. My husband was in the Air Force during Desert Storm, and he got to ride on them too going to Kuwait. He loved them.
    Cindy

joS3ph Guest
    I see USAF C-5Bs on occasion at MEM. We departed behind a C-5 about two weeks ago and the wake turbulence is unbelievable, even with wake turbulence separation. From this point forward, I am going to request additional wake turbulence separation if I am to depart behind a C-5.

Here is a nice video of a USAF C-5A departing Runway 13L at JFK (aircraft is obviously having some problems with the right main landing gear, as it does not retract entirely). Those General Electric TF39-GE-1 turbofans sound great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldP5fbPh5Lc

Even though I have been flying since the age of 16, airplanes such as the C-5 Galaxy still amaze me.