Thread: Dorothy Kilgallen

radiojane Guest

Dorothy Kilgallen

Fascinating case. I read the book "Kilgallen" a while back. Loved it. Never bought the JFK connection though.

Here are some links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Kilgallen

http://www.jfkresearch.com/morningstar/killgallen.htm

Thoughts Death hags???

Pat MaGroin Guest
    I watched the last What's My Line show she was on right before she died - It's on YouTube.

Veddy interesting...

I still find it odd how almost everyone having anything to do with Dallas and JFK died under mysterious circumstances. They are still popping up - even now. And the whole magic bullet theory is nothing short of stupid.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Giada Guest
    No to any connection to the JFK assassination. She was both witty and a gossip, with some of her reporting speculative.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    I watched the last What's My Line show she was on right before she died - It's on YouTube.
    Ok Pat you touched on a serious black hole for me. If I dare to go to you tube and start looking at vintage TV, What's My Line, jack Parr, Your Show of Shows, my better half finds me days later dehydrated and near death.
    Watching these old shows are one of my favorite things to do.
    For give me but how soon did she pass after that last show. I have seen the clip where they comment on her passing so it had to be within the week right?
    I think she just did a bad booze ad pill combo. Somewhere on the old vintage cigarettes ads ( which I also love) is one of her as the intrepid girl reporter smoking Camels because the Doctor told her it would soothe her throat for her broadcasts. It was a different time then.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dorothy camel.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	30004  

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Ok Pat you touched on a serious black hole for me. If I dare to go to you tube and start looking at vintage TV, What's My Line, jack Parr, Your Show of Shows, my better half finds me days later dehydrated and near death.
    Watching these old shows are one of my favorite things to do.
    For give me but how soon did she pass after that last show. I have seen the clip where they comment on her passing so it had to be within the week right?
    I think she just did a bad booze ad pill combo. Somewhere on the old vintage cigarettes ads ( which I also love) is one of her as the intrepid girl reporter smoking Camels because the Doctor told her it would soothe her throat for her broadcasts. It was a different time then.
    Regards,
    Mary
    lol, hi Mary - I love those old shows too.
    I believe that I read that she died the same day/night that she filmed her last "What's My Line" appearance.
    Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfjkQE-l2Ho
    (apologize to your better half for me )
    The description says: What's My Line? 11-7-65 with Joey Heatherton (1 of 3) This was the last appearance of Dorothy Kilgallen - she died that night.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    lol, hi Mary - I love those old shows too.
    I believe that I read that she died the same day/night that she filmed her last "What's My Line" appearance.
    Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfjkQE-l2Ho
    (apologize to your better half for me )
    The description says: What's My Line? 11-7-65 with Joey Heatherton (1 of 3) This was the last appearance of Dorothy Kilgallen - she died that night.
    Oh wow thanks Pat. You have given me something to do between now and my 9 pm meeting with some Shanghai folks!
    Regards,
    Mary

DonnaMc Guest
    Very interesting. Some people are killed because they can't keep their mouth shut and I'm sure this is what happened to Dorothy.

jaylene Guest
    Her life has always fascinated me. She enjoyed the drama and was
    way ahead of her time.

radiojane Guest
    I sort of wonder if Kollmar didn't do it.... but he was apparently so weak willed, probably not.

11. 02-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I saw this too! She seemed her usual self. Very interesting thread RadioJane. I guess she had personal demons aplenty.

A very interesting lady to be sure.
    I love the old What's My Line!

aLiLdirt Guest
    Thank you, radiojane, for adding this thread.

DK needed her own space on FAD!

Just reading about her, she had a
    very interesting life.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aLiLdirt View Post
    Thank you, radiojane, for adding this thread.

DK needed her own space on FAD!

no prob....

now that i think about it, I remember adding her way back when I added her husband, but sometime shortly after she vanished. Must've been a glitch.

Read "kilgallen" if your'e interested in Dorothy. A great book.

aLiLdirt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    no prob....

now that i think about it, I remember adding her way back when I added her husband, but sometime shortly after she vanished. Must've been a glitch.

Read "kilgallen" if your'e interested in Dorothy. A great book.
    Hmm, the disappearing Kilgallen thread. Interesting.

After re-reading some info about her, the conspiracy theorist within me thought, "I wonder if someone/group/entity didn't want a DK thread on this forum..."
    This troubled me briefly, then I concluded with a, "Nahhh..."

"Kilgallen" is now on my Amzn wishlist.

Thanks again!

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Thank you so much for this thread radiojane.

As a small kid I used to watch this with my grandmother - I was much too young to comprehend the gist of the show but I do remember that DK "scared" me.

It's not until now - all these years later - and reading wiki that I know why - and I thank Frank Sinatra for the enlightenment. She didn't have a chin.

Her face scared me. Crazy, huh?

Anyway, the article and this thread has piqued my curiosity...I will look for more on her now that I'm an adult and certainly can handle the missing chin.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aLiLdirt View Post
    Hmm, the disappearing Kilgallen thread. Interesting.

After re-reading some info about her, the conspiracy theorist within me thought, "I wonder if someone/group/entity didn't want a DK thread on this forum..."
    This troubled me briefly, then I concluded with a, "Nahhh..."

"Kilgallen" is now on my Amzn wishlist.

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    Thank you so much for this thread radiojane.

As a small kid I used to watch this with my grandmother - I was much too young to comprehend the gist of the show but I do remember that DK "scared" me.

It's not until now - all these years later - and reading wiki that I know why - and I thank Frank Sinatra for the enlightenment. She didn't have a chin.

Her face scared me. Crazy, huh?

Anyway, the article and this thread has piqued my curiosity...I will look for more on her now that I'm an adult and certainly can handle the missing chin.

you two just made my morning!

Samantha Guest
    I'd love to see scott add Dorothy to the Famous List. I would be very interested to read his commentary along with the details of her death.

deanfan Guest
    Clip of her kids on Whats My Line.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssEve...eature=related

One of her sons was going through her purse around the time she was dead in bed, not knowing that she was. I believe he still refuses to discuss the particulars.

We must be about the same age...she scared me too! Ol' blue eyes referred to her as the "chinless wonder"! Definitely some strange circumstances involving her death...

the show, What's My Line was a wonderful piece of work. Over time, you can see the personalities come to light. (kind of like the family at Thanksgiving)

Watch this clip showing a man come onstage 'uninvited', Dorothy clearly inebriated (but trying to pass it off as an attack of the sniffles, and then the snarky back and forth between Harry Morgan/Bennet Cerf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8qFj1G5j0
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post

Watch this clip showing a man come onstage 'uninvited', Dorothy clearly inebriated (but trying to pass it off as an attack of the sniffles, and then the snarky back and forth between Harry Morgan/Bennet Cerf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8qFj1G5j0
    Thanks for that link. Yeah, Dot had a few snorts in her dressing room and before evidently. The interloper was interesting as the incident was handled in keeping with the show's decorum. As for Morgan and Cerf, must have been a few words elsewhere before showtime. Morgan made a jackass out of himself then Daly rubbed it in. BTW, that was Henry Morgan. During the earlier part of Harry Morgan's career he was mistakenly credited as Henry. Henry always struck me as pompous anyway. No wonder Dot had some tonic.

dia846 Guest
    I read one of Dorothy's books a long time ago. I think it was called "Murder One", and there were several stories of the some of the most famous cases she covered. Very good reading - she was an excellent writer.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    BTW, that was Henry Morgan. During the earlier part of Harry Morgan's career he was mistakenly credited as Henry. Henry always struck me as pompous anyway. No wonder Dot had some tonic.
    It's generally accepted that Harry Morgan was a pretty insufferable character.

Bidmor Guest
    You meant Henry, right? Harry is the veteran actor most noted as Col. Potter on MASH and previously as Bill Gannon in the 1960's revival of Dragnet.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    You meant Henry, right? Harry is the veteran actor most noted as Col. Potter on MASH and previously as Bill Gannon in the 1960's revival of Dragnet.
    Yes. And I always do that. I know the difference between the two of them and I'm familiar with their work, but I always eff up the names!

Bidmor Guest
    Yes. And I always do that. I know the difference between the two of them and I'm familiar with their work, but I always eff up the names!
    Me too. In my first post I kept swapping their names, lest we not forget Harry played sidekick to Henry Fonda in "The Ox Bow Incident". Back to Dorothy. (And don't nobody throw a Johnson in here )

dia846 Guest
    I used to watch Dorothy on her game show. She was fun.

However, and a huge HOWEVER, Dorothy seemed to be a big Death Hag, a wonderful writer, and dug into many of the best murder cases in her era. Her book, Mlurder One, can still be purchased on Amazon after 40 or 50 years since. The featured cases are The Finch-Tregoff Trials; The Case of Greta Peltz; The Eva Coo Case; The State vs. Robert Allen Edwards; The Creighton-Appelgate Case; The Trials of Dr. Sam Sheppard.

On a side note, I sort of remember the California Finch-Tregoff case as a child due to my parents discussing the TV and newspaper stories of the day, and also because I think I've been a Death Hag since I could read. (Dr. Finch wanted his wife gone so he could marry his young receptionist Ms. Tregoff, who was present during the dr's murder of his wife. Also all the community property would be theirs to keep). They were both eventually convicted.

Years later (actually not very much time for this premeditated crime) they were released, the doctor got his medical license back, (that still shocks me), and he moved to another state and a small town to practice medicine. Lo and behold, as a very young adult - long ago - I happened to be on my one and only bus ride MO, and wouldn't you know - I passed through that small town on my way to Springfield, and right on the route was Dr. Bernard Finch's name on a sign outside his office. I was out of my seat taking a second look at the sign. His life eventually went on as usual - his wife's did not.

I know many remember Dorothy as a game show person, and I do also, but boy did she have the lowdown on a lot of the crime stories of her generation.
    Last edited by dia846; 11-29-2011 at 11:46 PM.

he could be pretty funny in his style. but yeah, i could imagine being on the same show with him would be a horrible grind.
    one time the show brought on a famous 'insult' comedian who was the Don Rickles of his day (Jack Leonard) and had him take cracks at Morgan.

I am SO hooked on What's My Line because of this thread. Love it!!

RIP, Dorothy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

for those that read the Lee Israel bio on Dorothy, and enjoyed her writing style you may want to read Lee Israel's personal memoir about her turning to a life of crime. "Can You Forgive Me"
    "When her writing career suddenly took a turn for the worse, she conceived of the astonishing literary scheme that fooled even many of the experts. Forging hundreds of letters from such collectible luminaries as Dorothy Parker, Noël Coward, and Lillian Hellman -- and recreating their autographs with a flourish -- Israel sold her "memorabilia" to dealers across the country, producing a collection of pitch-perfect imitations virtually indistinguishable from the voices of their real-life counterparts. Exquisitely written, with reproductions of her marvelous forgeries, Can You Ever Forgive Me? is Israel's delightful, hilarious memoir of a brilliant and audacious literary crime caper.

Her son Kerry lives in Atlanta....I've thought about contacting him, but always chicken out!

This may be of interest regarding Dorothy and the JFK Assassination. Mark Lane's new book, " The Last Word - My Indictment of the CIA in the Murder of JFK" has quite a discussion of his work with her and he presents some interesting theories on why she was killed. They had had a number of exchanges and agreed to work together. She told him that she had very important information that she wanted to share with him after she was able to make another trip to Dallas. She also told him that she had given all her source information to her friend, a columnist named Florance Prtichett who had been an intimate friend of JFK. See a pic and story of Florance.
    (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKsmithF.htm)

When Dorothy was found dead shortly after telling Lane she wanted to meet again, the columnist (Florance Pritchett) who Dorothy confided in -and had told Mark Lane that she had specifically given important information on the JFK Assassination) also passed away.

Little known fact: The host of Dorothy's show, What's My Line, was John Daly, was the son in law of Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren also known as the head of the Warren Commission that investigated JFK assassination. (Small World Indeed!!!!) Dorothy investigating same while her boss is directly related to the man who ran the 'official investigation.'
    Last edited by johnny; 12-09-2011 at 08:43 AM.

I did'nt know the other thread disappeared. Maybe we discussed her in a thread that went off.

Anyway thr first show after her death the gentlemen wore business suits instead of tuxes.Steve Allen joined the panel in her place and all related memories of MS killgallen.[Steve being a former regular and frequent guest].

I think if Dorothy had any bombshells as Nancy would say,it seems to me she could have not kept them from John Charles Daly Chief Justice Warrens son in law as noted,or the owner and publisher of Random House Bennett Cerf,who would have loved to get a book in print as even now books on the presidents life and death sell.

If she was murdered it seems most likely her husband did it.

According to Lee she had started a new very public affair . Her affair with poor ol Johnny Ray was very painful for her husband,he had the same script of pills she died from and he killed himself with the same pills in the same room.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    I did'nt know the other thread disappeared. Maybe we discussed her in a thread that went off.

Anyway thr first show after her death the gentlemen wore business suits instead of tuxes.Steve Allen joined the panel in her place and all related memories of MS killgallen.[Steve being a former regular and frequent guest].

I think if Dorothy had any bombshells as Nancy would say,it seems to me she could have not kept them from John Charles Daly Chief Justice Warrens son in law as noted,or the owner and publisher of Random House Bennett Cerf,who would have loved to get a book in print as even now books on the presidents life and death sell.

If she was murdered it seems most likely her husband did it.

According to Lee she had started a new very public affair . Her affair with poor ol Johnny Ray was very painful for her husband,he had the same script of pills she died from and he killed himself with the same pills in the same room.

as midnitelamp rightly points out, she was troubled. her marriage was troubled. she was not in great health. given all that, it could have been accidental. per Lane, biographer Lee Israel doesn't think it was the husband and tends to follow along with Lane.

i would point out that sharing 'it' with john daly is not mutually exclusive with sharing it with mark lane. and being a reporter, it would be one thing to share 'it' with others and another to share 'it' and all the supporting documentation that went along with 'it' as back up. she was a journalist and knew that if she hadn't nailed it down she could look very silly. john daly hasn't -too my understanding- revealed if she told him anything in detail. although he was the son in law, i haven't read anything that connects him other then he was the moderator of her show and had married the daughter of supreme court justice earl warren.

mark lane, at that point, was probably the most famous conspiracy researcher at the time having written and spoke extensively at the time 'Rush to Judgement' (at one point he had represented on behalf of the mother, Lee Harvey Oswald at the Warren Court Investigation). Lane goes into detail of how they met and what they talked about. she and Lane agreed to share information -but not sources- sounds plausible. according to Lane, she told him that she was only letting one person know all she had (thoughts and sources) and that is the aforementioned Florance Pritchard -a fellow columnist who had had a long term relationship with JFK in the past.
    Lane is fairly explicit in terms of who he thinks is behind the assassination (CIA). But if anyone has an interest in the Kilgallen death, read the Mark Lane Book.

here is 'what's my line' with the husband richard kollmer as the mystery guest. kind of funny. especially with the line 'use her services' at the 6:50 point. tv at that point was all about the double entrendres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7upkrm4eOlc

Mark Lane is a crackpot - he represented the Rev. Jim Jones - enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Mark Lane is a crackpot - he represented the Rev. Jim Jones - enough said.
    well I'm glad that's settled...

anywhoo, for those interested the Kilgallen Book talks of a mysterious fellow the author called 'the out of towner.' subsequently, this person Ron Patacky aka 'the out of towner' was identified by John Simkins and subsequently confirmed by Killgallen biographer Lee Israel here goes:
    http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKpataky.htm
    Last edited by johnny; 12-25-2011 at 07:01 AM.

New book on her death - more conspiracy nonsense

http://nypost.com/2016/12/04/dorothy...ot-her-killed/

Manhattan DA opens probe into her death - nothing will become of this

http://nypost.com/2017/01/29/manhatt...ible-jfk-ties/

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    New book on her death - more conspiracy nonsense

http://nypost.com/2016/12/04/dorothy...ot-her-killed/

Would like to read this book.

The only way we are going to get to the truth of this and the whole JFK thing is when WE are all dead and gone. If Heaven exits, my one request is have them lined up and ready to answer my questions ! LOL
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    The only way we are going to get to the truth of this and the whole JFK thing is when WE are all dead and gone. If Heaven exits, my one request is have them lined up and ready to answer my questions ! LOL
    start and end with Oswald.

Floor plans of Dorothy's home where she died. The house is located at 45 E. 68th Street in Manhattan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104CC.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	54766
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

I would love to see it. It's still on the market I think for almost 20 million.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post
    Very interesting. Some people are killed because they can't keep their mouth shut and I'm sure this is what happened to Dorothy.
    And Jimmy Hoffa.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    And Jimmy Hoffa.
    I agree. Both said too much and new even more.