Thread: Artist Liu Bolin Creates Camouflage Pictures

Pat MaGroin Guest

Artist Liu Bolin Creates Camouflage Pictures

It's a shelf portrait! Chinese artist spends months creating incredible camouflage pictures

This is one artist who is unlikely to be left on the shelf, if you can find him that is.

Liu Bolin has become so advanced at camouflage art he is virtually able to blend seamlessly in front of a pile of coal or even a forest landscape.

The Chinese artist spends hours perfecting his poses, including three months to complete his impressive Dragon Series in Beijing's Behei Park.

Fitting in: Chinese artist Liu Bolin stands in front of a soft drinks shelf at a supermarket in Beijing

Almost appearing to become part of the enormous dragon sculpture in the capital's famous park, Mr Liu's work is designed to show how we all can just disappear in today's mass production world.

It is not the first time his incredible pictures have emerged as he spends hours positioning himself in front of backdrops with a team of two assistants to paint the camouflage on his clothes.

Touring his work across the glove for the past five years, Mr Lee will open a new exhibit at the Eli Klein Fine Art Gallery in New York this year.

Scaling down: Mr Liu spent three months perfecting this project in front of nine dragon sculptures in Beijing's Behei Park

This one's a bit wooden: The painstaking detail of the paint on his clothing his carried out by two assistants

He said: 'My urban camouflage paint series began after Suojia Village Art Campus where I was working was shut down by the Chinese government.

'My resistance to the force of governments made me experience the life of people with no social status, no job, no family, no income and this was the emotional reason I began my series of works.

'In my work the artist is hiding to restore his strength and to protect himself.

'I wany my viewers to experience China as I know it, where the concept of artists as human beings was once neglected.'

Body his temple: Mr Liu enjoys bursting out at unsuspecting people as they walk past his creations

In some cases, Mr Liu has his assistants paint his body and he remains completely still until an unsuspecting passer-by walks past.

A graduate of the Sculpture Department of the Central Academy of Fine Arts in China, Mr Liu's work is in high demand.

He added: 'What my generation of artists can make in the current atmosphere of China are that these works are filled with suspicion, melancholy, stimulation, dement and so on.'

1karenhb Guest
    Wow, that is amazing. Great post Pat.

RaRaRamona Guest
    This is incredibly cool. How is he the artist if his assistants do all of the ah...art? Isn't he the model?

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    This is incredibly cool. How is he the artist if his assistants do all of the ah...art? Isn't he the model?
    RaRa, that is exactly what I was thinking. They're the ones who should receive credit for it, they're the artists... Not him. He just stood there while they did all the work!

It's really cool, but give credit to the people who deserve it.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowergrrl View Post
    RaRa, that is exactly what I was thinking. They're the ones who should receive credit for it, they're the artists... Not him. He just stood there while they did all the work!

It's really cool, but give credit to the people who deserve it.
    I think I'll have an idea and make other people do the work...then bask in the glory.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I think I'll have an idea and make other people do the work...then bask in the glory.
    I swear, hahaa! Gallery in New York, in high demand?... He is definitely making some money.

Next it will be, steal someone else's idea then get other people to do it... Then get all the credit for it.

Bet you it is a photoshop plug-in.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

8. 01-30-2011, 02:46 AM

Very cool art work! I wonder how long it takes for the artist to be painted.

Nelliebean Guest
    Some shopper could grab the wrong can and cause him intense pain.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Some shopper could grab the wrong can and cause him intense pain.
    Conversely, it may cause him some enjoyment as well - "Have A Coke And A Smile"

Lilepad336 Guest
    Here is a link to more pictures. The bulldozer one really got a couple people here at work. In an article that I will try to find again, it said that he will spend upto 10 hours studing a single picture!

http://www.elikleinfineart.com/html/...st=82&offset=0