Thread: Lawrencia "Bambi" Bembenek

Belle Guest

Lawrencia "Bambi" Bembenek

This is a sort of related stupid famous murderess tries to escape out the window from a famous television pyschologist and ends up needing a leg amputated story

Murderer Files Lawsuit Against Dr. Phil
    Thursday , November 13, 2003 By Adam Buckman
    Convicted murderer Laurie "Bambi" Bembenek went on "The Dr. Phil Show" to clear her name, but she wound up with an amputated leg and a lawsuit against Dr. Phil, Paramount, and 52 staffers on his syndicated show.
    The suit, filed Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court, accuses Dr. Phil and his co-defendants of imprisoning her in a Marina Del Rey apartment, where she shattered her leg in the act of escaping out a window with bed sheets she had tied together. Her leg eventually had to be amputated below the knee.

The alleged imprisonment and subsequent escape, both of which occurred a year ago, were eerily reminiscent of an earlier time in the life of Bembenek. She had previously escaped from prison and fled to Canada in 1990 after serving eight years for a murder she has insisted for years she did not commit.

The story of the ex-Milwaukee cop and Playboy Club cocktail waitress convicted in 1982 of killing her husband's ex-wife spawned duelling TV movies 10 years ago -- "Woman on the Run: The Lawrencia Bembenek Story," starring Tatum O'Neal on NBC; and "Calendar Girl, Cop Killer? The Bambi Bembenek Story," starring Lindsay Frost.

Now, the saga of Bembenek, 45, seems poised for a sequel.

In her lawsuit, Bembenek accuses Dr. Phil McGraw, Paramount, two producers identified as Marsha Armstrong and Chere Graham, and 50 "Dr. Phil" staff members who are not named, of holding Bembenek against her will in the Marina Del Rey apartment while they awaited the results of a DNA test which she was hopeful would prove her innocent of the 21-year-old murder.

The lawsuit could turn on whether Bembenek was actually confined in the apartment.

In court papers, Bembenek insists she was driven to Marina Del Rey and forced by "Dr. Phil" producers to stay there for an unspecified length of time in an apartment with no phone, radio or TV set. She says this led to a panic attack stemming from her years of incarceration and causing her to attempt the escape in which she was badly injured.

But Paramount disagrees that Bembenek was confined. In a prepared statement, the executive producer of "Dr. Phil," Carla Pennington, insisted yesterday that Bembenek could have walked out the door at any time. Her statement characterized Bembenek's escape out a window as "an apparent prank" that went horribly awry. "We think her claims have no merit," the statement said.

There was no comment from McGraw yesterday.

Paramount now has 30 days to respond to Bembenek's lawsuit.

The suit asks for punitive damages in amounts still to be determined. Bembenek's lawyer, Stephen Bernard of Nagelberg & Bernard in Los Angeles, says the requested damage amounts will be filed separately.

The results of the DNA test performed by the TV show have never been revealed.

I did a search, but couldn't find an entry - please combine as necessary.

, now known as Laurie Bembenek (b. August 15, 1958 d. November 20, 2010) was convicted of murdering her husband's ex-wife, Christine Schultz, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on May 28, 1981. Her story garnered national attention after she escaped from Taycheedah Correctional Institution and was recaptured in Canada, an episode which inspired a TV movie and the slogan "Run, Bambi, Run".

Ms Bembenek has died.

wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambi_Bembenek

NY Times article on her death: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...mbenek.html?hp

VCNJ~

jaylene Guest
    Only 52. Wow! Why would you jump out a window to get away
    from the Dr Phil show? Why not just walk out the door? Think there is more to this story.

Guest Guest
    wow only 52 yrs old...what a life this woman had...I never believed her to be guilty of killing her husbands ex wife...I think he did it and stuck it to her and the wrong person ended up in prison...am happy she was released but sad that her freedom was so short lived...I hope the case is looked at again and dna is studied and that her name is once and for all cleared in the death of Christine Shultz...may she finally rest in peace

Djen Guest
    So young!

This article seems to indicate she's had health issues for a while, and went quickly while in hospice care: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/peop...ml?from=smh_sb

I remember reading a book about her story a while back, and feeling like there were more questions than answers about her legal history. But, I'm not really up on the whole thing any more. I'll have to familiarize myself again...

NewYorkDoll Guest
    I always thought she was innocent. that cop hubby did not want to pay child support, he was crooked and set her up.

I never believed she was guilty. I think she was railroaded. Anyways, I was shocked when I read this. RIP

I'm from Milwaukee and I remember this case very well. I remember watching the news the day she pled guilty to a lesser charge so she could get released from prison with time served. I had forgotten about the Dr. Phil thing.

I too always thought Fred Schultz was a piece of shit, and I definitely think he was the murderer. This case opened up a lot of stuff about the police department and the corruption and illegal behaviour going on.

She had a crappy life, I hope she can rest in peace.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

former FBI profiler John Douglas covered this case in his book THE CASES THAT HAUNT US - he believes she was innocent. A sad life.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Who wouldn't run from (I'm not really a Doctor) Phil?

My aunt is gonna soon be transferred from the city jail to the rehab facility in Taycheedah where Bambi escaped from...
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMonkey719 View Post
    My aunt is gonna soon be transferred from the city jail to the rehab facility in Taycheedah where Bambi escaped from...
    I live about 2 miles from Taycheedah...

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    I live about 2 miles from Taycheedah...
    Howdy Neighbor
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

buddyhollylover Guest
    R.I.P. bambi. we drove by the 'murder' house not that long ago....
    my dad had the playboy mag she was in years ago. sad. i knew they would't pardon her b4 she died. bastards.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhollylover View Post
    R.I.P. bambi. we drove by the 'murder' house not that long ago....
    my dad had the playboy mag she was in years ago. sad. i knew they would't pardon her b4 she died. bastards.

He must be the only one since she never posed for Playboy. She briefly worked as a waitress at a Playboy club.

Liver failure at 52. Alcohol problems?

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post
    He must be the only one since she never posed for Playboy. She briefly worked as a waitress at a Playboy club.

The article I read said Hepatitis C.

Crappy disease to get.

tarsier Guest
    I'm alone but I never bought her "innocence" the broad was screwy enough to have done the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post

There are some pics floating around- I remember them from the newscasts back in the day. I tried to find one yesterday, but came up empty.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    she never did a playboy photo shoot, just a bunny at the lake geneva playboy club for a short time.

growl Guest
    I never heard the Dr. Phil story! Wow! It doesn't say how all that turned out above. Anybody know if they paid off? and were the results of the DNA test ever revealed? Looks like the article above says it was printed in 2003.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Her ex killed his ex wife. She was a blond but she wasnt stupid enough to shove the wig she wore to a murder in a toilet where she lived. Her mistake was falling in love with this loser who only maried her to set her up for the murder. The male cops stuck it to her and amde sure she took a fall and one cop sitting at a bar one night said that most of the cops wives will think twice before trying to take a cop to the cleaners NOW. She lost her whole life because of this cop and his co horts..talk about a corrupt police force?? this was in the top 5 in the united states.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    ^ what novstorm said.

and here, in re *dr.* phil

Dr. Phil was supposed to do a show on Bembenek's DNA tests, but that never happened -- in part because of the accident and also because, a year later, those DNA tests are still not completed.

Bembenek hopes the tests will be done by the end of this year
    http://www.channel3000.com/news/2627004/detail.html

the link is from 6 years ago but there are evidence links there for anyone interested.

too bad she could not have been proven innocent before she passed away.

Did she ever have any chiren?
    My Posse's On Broadway

Here is an article from the Milwaukee Journal, it also includes video from WTMJ including one with Elfred Schultz. He says he forgave her years ago....what a piece of work

http://www.jsonline.com/news/obituaries/109696054.html

1karenhb Guest
    I was shocked to hear she died too. You can stop running now Bambi.

stacebabe Guest
    How sad. I never believed she killed Christine - Fred did it. RIP, Bambi.

Uncle Entity Guest

Revisionist history

[quote=DietCokeofEvil;1081608]I'm from Milwaukee and I remember this case very well. I remember watching the news the day she pled guilty to a lesser charge so she could get released from prison with time served. I had forgotten about the Dr. Phil thing.

I'm from Milwaukee as well, and I certainly remember that nearly EVERYONE belived she was guilty. Her alleged innocence now seems like revisionist history to me. All of the evidence pointed to her, including the wig used in the murder found in her apartment.

[quote=Uncle Entity;1082795]
    I'm from Milwaukee and I remember this case very well. I remember watching the news the day she pled guilty to a lesser charge so she could get released from prison with time served. I had forgotten about the Dr. Phil thing.

I'm from Milwaukee as well, and I certainly remember that nearly EVERYONE belived she was guilty. Her alleged innocence now seems like revisionist history to me. All of the evidence pointed to her, including the wig used in the murder found in her apartment.
    I dunno- when those photos from the park came out, I think that clinched it for a lot of people that it was a set up. I know a lot of people that I know thought it was Fred Schultz and that the police were covering it up because he was a good ol boy.

29. 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM
    Reason
    tied to wrong quote

[quote=DietCokeofEvil;1082800]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Entity View Post

I dunno- when those photos from the park came out, I think that clinched it for a lot of people that it was a set up. I know a lot of people that I know thought it was Fred Schultz and that the police were covering it up because he was a good ol boy.
    I agree with Diet Coke, I grew up outside of Milwaukee. I had moved away when this happened but I remember talking to my family about this and we all thought that Bambi had been set up and that Fred either did it or was involved init.

NOVSTORM Guest
    [quote=Uncle Entity;1082795]

NOVSTORM Guest
    The wig finding was what broke the back of the camel for me. So many of my cop friends laughed about that and called it a "hairy set up" You cannot flush a wig down the toilet and have it back up the sytem months later, it doesnt work that way. Bambi had moved from there months before that wig magiclly plugged up the toilets lol..The jury that bought that were morons. This woman was soooo set up.MOst of the cops I know and I know many were not shocked by the set up but were by the conviction. Her ex married her in order to set her up. HE didnt want to pay her the alimony, he bitched about it all the time, then he married Bambi and killed his ex and let her take the rap. They figured that out after she broke out that is why they let her go after she got caught but made her say she did it just to make themsleves look good in old beer town. They never went after the ex because they didnt want that mark on the PD. How would it look ?? They convicted the wife when the husband did it and he was living the good life in FL?? Looks to me like the ex husband made out like a bandit. Got the house money, the kids, retirement and social security for the kids plus the ex wife insurance money lol What did Bambi have to gain form it? Nothing, he was hiding money and telling Bambi that all his paycheck was going to the ex, and then telling the other cops that Bambi wasmaking threats to his ex. Oh well she is dead , the ex is dead and the person responsible for the whole thing is living a nice life in Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    I was shocked to hear she died too. You can stop running now Bambi.
    She stopped running a while back when she had one of her feet amputated.

She actually had stopped running. She ended up pleading guilty to a lesser charge so she could get out with time served. The prosecuters got to keep the conviction on their records and she finally got out of jail. I think she even remarried (not to the guy who helped her break out though), but divorced.

I thought Elfred Schultz was dead, but that fucker is alive and well. I hope he gets cancer of the everything.

A pic of her from 1981...

burgtwngrl Guest
    She had a hell of a life didn't she? and it ended way to young. did she do it? I don't know...