Thread: Boardwalk Empire

doyleloyal Guest

Boardwalk Empire

Has anyone seen HBO'S new baby yet? I'm not a big scorcese fan or a mob enthusiast but strangely enough I watch it every Sunday (gotta watch something until Trueblood comes back) and surprisingly I really like it but I was wondering what everyone else thought. I've read some of the reviews for the episodes and most of them are awful which is weird considering it gets such high marks especially seeing as not even 3 episodes were in and they were already signed up for a second season but anyways what do y'all think?

NewYorkDoll Guest
    this show is fantastic.

here is the theme (brian jonestown massacre)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45HPaTF0u7U

last night's self flaggelation and masturbation scene was insane.

silverwaif77 Guest
    I LOVE this show! Although it's really just a cheap substitute to tide me over until true blood comes back on the air. I always like to see Steve Buschemi in new projects, I think he is a highly underrated actor. Plus I love Martin Scorcese! He makes the best films!

doyleloyal Guest
    i was freakin out at that last part, i KNEW he was a perv! but i think the lysol dushe was the worst part of that entire episode. it's LYSOL!!!!!!AAAHHHHH!!!

silverwaif77 Guest
    Can you believe millions of women did that? It came concentrated and you diluted it and douched with it. Then you took that same Lysol and poured it in a bucket and scrubbed your floors. Ahhh it was a simpler time.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    companies eager to sell women contraceptives, but not permitted to by law, use the term "feminine hygiene" to market a wide array of over-the-counter products that are believed to have a contraceptive effect. One of the most popular products is the simple and cheap "Lysol douche," and scores of women rely solely on this ineffective and dangerous method to prevent pregnancy.

STsFirstmate Guest
    My better half has a recurring role in it.
    Some tidbits you might find interesting. She says it is a very expensive production. the reproduced boardwalk was researched and every store etc you see really existed.
    It is actually inland in Brooklyn. There is about 100 feet of sand at the foot of the steps for short beach shots etc. there is no ocean there but rather a 50 foot high flat fence that is painted as a green screen. So every shot where the water is visible it was added via green screen later.
    The wardrobes are also meticulously researched and designed. She had her fittings for three outfits that they rotated throughout the season.
    One of Vince Van Patten's sons is one of the producers and he, along with Scorsese's is a stickler for accuracy and it is definitely a show up ready and take after take shoot to get the small stuff right.
    She loves working on it. It will start shooting again soon. They shoot winter scenes and then in the spring they shoot summer scenes so when you see people walking around in sleeveless dresses etc outside it is usually around 50 degrees or less.
    Here is a copy of her post fitting shot. They always take a picture for continuity to track all the accessories issued for reshoots etc.
    On yeah and one of the hardest items to find/reproduce were the wicker cart/taxis that people were pushed around the boardwalk in. They cost a bundle to recreate.
    I love the show and I love the theme music which is by a group called Brian Jonestown Massacre. Several people have complained about it being out of kilter with the rest of the accuracy of the show but I love it.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EliseAStiller_BoardwalkEmpire.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	29122  

doyleloyal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    companies eager to sell women contraceptives, but not permitted to by law, use the term "feminine hygiene" to market a wide array of over-the-counter products that are believed to have a contraceptive effect. One of the most popular products is the simple and cheap "Lysol douche," and scores of women rely solely on this ineffective and dangerous method to prevent pregnancy.

the very thought makes my yodel hurt. the things they did back in the day.

i'm kinda wondering where the margaret & nucky arc is going, i doubt it'll stick but then i'm usually wrong about that type of thing. whatever happens that lucy girl has GOT to go, hopefully last sunday was her last appearance. that's the only thing on this show that needs lysol.

i'm kinda surprised in a way that theres that much nudity in the episodes to, i'm not really shocked by it but i really didn't expect it for this particular series. it almost seems outta place in a way.

doyleloyal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    My better half has a recurring role in it.
    Some tidbits you might find interesting. She says it is a very expensive production. the reproduced boardwalk was researched and every store etc you see really existed.
    It is actually inland in Brooklyn. There is about 100 feet of sand at the foot of the steps for short beach shots etc. there is no ocean there but rather a 50 foot high flat fence that is painted as a green screen. So every shot where the water is visible it was added via green screen later.
    The wardrobes are also meticulously researched and designed. She had her fittings for three outfits that they rotated throughout the season.
    One of Vince Van Patten's sons is one of the producers and he, along with Scorsese's is a stickler for accuracy and it is definitely a show up ready and take after take shoot to get the small stuff right.
    She loves working on it. It will start shooting again soon. They shoot winter scenes and then in the spring they shoot summer scenes so when you see people walking around in sleeveless dresses etc outside it is usually around 50 degrees or less.
    Here is a copy of her post fitting shot. They always take a picture for continuity to track all the accessories issued for reshoots etc.
    On yeah and one of the hardest items to find/reproduce were the wicker cart/taxis that people were pushed around the boardwalk in. They cost a bundle to recreate.
    I love the show and I love the theme music which is by a group called Brian Jonestown Massacre. Several people have complained about it being out of kilter with the rest of the accuracy of the show but I love it.
    Regards,
    Mary

that's so cool! is there any specific scenes she's in?

innervoice Guest
    I really enjoyed the last episode, from the Lysol scene to the full frontal male nudity to Margaret's GREAT line to Lucy in the dress shop (decorum prevents me from typing it, but it was an awesome zinger).

Of course, I'd rather be watching True Blood, but I'm loving Boardward Empire so far.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post
    that's so cool! is there any specific scenes she's in?
    She is a member of the Ladies Temparance League and also a suffragette so any of the meeting hall scenes and protest scenes she is in them.
    Regards,
    Mary

Giada Guest
    I watched the first episode and was under-thrilled, not to say I might enjoy it at a future time. It just didn't grab me.

I am looking forward to David Milch's next series, "Luck," and David Chase's, "Ribbon of Dreams."

(Mia Famiglia ... . I sincerely doubt I'll enjoy any series more than The Sopranos. I was with an HBO group for two years who enjoyed discussing the sops and also part of a test market)

GODDESS6 Guest
    i adore boardwalk empire~

doyleloyal Guest
    [quote=Giada;1075983]I watched the first episode and was under-thrilled, not to say I might enjoy it at a future time. It just didn't grab me.[quote]

it's a hard show to like. it doesn't really grab you or stand out like some of the other hbo shows and i don't think it's meant to. i wasn't exactly impressed or wowed by the first episode either but the more i've seen the more i like ,it's a nice slow down from say TrueBlood where ur having an addict withdrawl from it two seconds after it ends all way through to the next weeks episode. i just wish the dirty secrets were "dirtier" and more "secretive" but like i said i don't think that's the show's direction, it's all just one big business transaction basically.

I'm going to bump it up since its going on its Final season.

magicreeling Guest
    The show is really good, Steve Buscemi gave justice to his role as Nucky Thompson

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    This has become my favorite show ever! I am so sad this is it's last season. I'm guessing it was too expensive to produce? The season 5 premiere is on September 7th. The show jumps ahead in years to 1931. It's only 8 episodes long, instead of the usual 12. I'm thinking the final season may be short, but it's gonna be sweet!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    This has become my favorite show ever! I am so sad this is it's last season. I'm guessing it was too expensive to produce? The season 5 premiere is on September 7th. The show jumps ahead in years to 1931. It's only 8 episodes long, instead of the usual 12. I'm thinking the final season may be short, but it's gonna be sweet!
    Most HBO shows now a days final seasons are pretty short.

They always planned to end it with Capone's full rise to power.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    It's a damn shame they're cutting the series short. Oh well. I still can't wait for the final season.

Another trailer. Looks good

Last edited by StewartGilliganGriffin; 08-20-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Final season starts tonight. I'm excited.

2 episodes in and it's a damn shame what they're doing to this show. Characters are gone, new ones already in the story, characters are different with no explanation... just terrible. I will watch it all and I admit for the most part I'm enjoying it. It's just this show deserved so much more than the lazy end it's getting.

I hope the payoff is good for Boardwalk I'm really just watching it now for Van Alden, Capone and Chalky.

The episode when he and Buck were in the house I was saying how I couldn't believe Chalky was spending so much time in this house, with a person like Buck.. then I cheered as he drove that hammer into that fucker's skull.

The thing I took from that was the fact that Chalky has learned not to be flashy and flamboyant, to keep his high status a secret, especially when Buck was asking him how he knew about School and the Bank.

Yeah I'm interested in it all. I'm just pissed at the hurried pace of just slapping everything together. I don't like Al. Not like I did. I guess that's the point. Power corrupted him real bad. Pretty much already know how all that ends up. The 5 families... which is actually 7... 5 NY Families, the outfit in Chicago(Al), and a family in Jersey way of doing business is created in Jersey. Nucky will broker that meeting that really did happen between Lucky, Al, and the others that created the mob as we know it. Nucky will cash out and Jersey will get turned over to whoever.

Chalky and Van Alden I have no clue on. Chalky will get Dr Narcisse(sp?) no doubt... if Lucky, Meyer, and Benny don't get him first. I am thinking Van Alden will play the role of the guy that handed over the ledger that got Capone busted. FBI will give him a deal... help us get Capone and we forget about your murders. Maybe. Horse head in the bed with Miss Rothstein should end her chirping pretty quick.

They just screwed the pooch. How do you kill off your two most interesting characters?

I understand killing them off to dedicate the last 2 episodes to the final showdown between Nucky and everyone else. But they just sped through this season. Just shameful what they did to this show. One episode left? Horrible.

I hope the finale is a good one.

It was good. If you haven't seen it yet stop reading now. As soon as that kid said Grandma I knew who he was. It really was a smart finale. It was just hurried. It had a feel of Nucky's inevitable death but I was banking on that in real life he lived happily ever after.

It used to be every show ended happily ever after so when the main character and/or the good guy got it in the end it was refreshing and cool. Now it's like they all always die at the end so the pendulum has swung the other way for me now. Can we have a show end with a happily ever after!!? Tony Soprano, Walter White, Vic Mackey(didn't die but his fate was arguably even worse than death), and now Nucky.

That was a great finale IMO the best finale I have ever seen.

I knew right away who he was when he said Grandma.

Yeah. As far as the show goes Nucky had to pay for his ultimate sin... which wasn't killing Jimmy. His ultimate sin was whoring out Gillian. He said he'd always look out for her. At the end he was ready to abandon her. Only fitting I guess.

He has destroyed 3 generations of the Darmody family and he didn't care who he stepped on to get to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    He has destroyed 3 generations of the Darmody family and he didn't care who he stepped on to get to the top.
    Oh I think he cared. I think his decision to pimp Gillian haunted him his entire life. I think he justified it by telling himself that decision would make both of their lives better in the long run. He probably justified it by telling himself the Commodore was going to take her anyway. At least this way they might benefit. I don't blame him a bit for killing Jimmy. He had to really. Should have killed Eli while he was at it. Jimmy was big boy. He knew the risks of the game. Especially the risks crossing Nucky and trying to kill him. Tommy should have seen it that way too.