Thread: The real Don Steele

Danny62 Guest

The real Don Steele

Another LA Disc Jockey I have a few airchecks from. From what I can tell he was quite popular...I never was all that impressed with him though??

He died in 1997 of lung Cancer.

Morbid1 Guest
    Him and Charley Tuna, Machine "Gun" Kelly and Robert Morgan were
    some of the big names on radio in Los Angeles at the time,I think
    that Don worked at 93KHJ at the time.They played great music.

Jim Ladd who I listened too is another great jokey,I think he still does
    radio in Los Angeles.He had such a deep,gravely voice on the radio.

His Website

http://jimladd.com/

Huggy Bear and Art laboe KRLA K-EARTH Were classic AM jockeys that
    played great oldies on KRLA in Los Angeles around the 60's and 70'S.

Huggy Bear has passed on,but Art laboe still does his classic radio thing.

The good old days!

-Morbid1

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbid1 View Post
    Him and Charley Tuna, Machine "Gun" Kelly and Robert Morgan were
    some of the big names on radio in Los Angeles at the time,I think
    that Don worked at 93KHJ at the time.They played great music.

Jim Ladd who I listened too is another great jokey,I think he still does
    radio in Los Angeles.He had such a deep,gravely voice on the radio.

His Website

http://jimladd.com/

Huggy Bear and Art laboe KRLA K-EARTH Were classic AM jockeys that
    played great oldies on KRLA in Los Angeles around the 60's and 70'S.

Huggy Bear has passed on,but Art laboe still does his classic radio thing.

The good old days!

-Morbid1

www.reelradio.com

you have to make a donation to listen to the airchecks but worth it!

Morbid1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    www.reelradio.com

you have to make a donation to listen to the airchecks but worth it!
    Yeah,I have that site book-marked...great stuff on there!

-Morbid1

Danny62 Guest
    Doesn't Charley Tuna still have a show in Califronia?

I know Robert Morgan died a few years ago.

Morbid1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Doesn't Charley Tuna still have a show in Califronia?

I know Robert Morgan died a few years ago.

Yep,charlie is still doing his thing!

http://www.charlietuna.com/

-Morbid1

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbid1 View Post
    Yep,charlie is still doing his thing!

http://www.charlietuna.com/

-Morbid1
    Thats good to hear. I liked the airchecks I heard of him.

Another guy I found on reelradio was Jimmy Rabbitt! I have a few of his air checks.

Last I heard he was working in Grand Junction Colorado?

My mom is from Grand Junction I kind of wonder how he ended up there?

Does the name Paul Freeman ring a bell? I know he was a big DJ on KIIS in the 80's in California. I think he is still doing radio?

He worked here is Salt Lake in the late 60's for KNAK!

Morbid1 Guest
    Does the name Paul Freeman ring a bell? I know he was a big DJ on KIIS in the 80's in California. I think he is still doing radio?
    Nope,I sure don't remember him..and funny I did listen to KISS FM
    in the 80"s.I'll have to look up Jimmy Rabbit for his air checks to hear.

Do you remeber,or the name Frazier Smith ring a bell? Funny as hell on
    KMET and I think KLOS Los Angeles radio.He did allot of hard core radio.

Iam surprised that he didn't get taken off the air for the stuff he did, lol.

Here is some info on him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazer_Smith

And I see that he is doing stand up comedy also.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=52036590

-Morbid1

1karenhb Guest
    I loved these guys. 93KHJ was my favorite radio station in my teens. Wasn't Sam Riddle also there? Back in 1966, I met Robert W. Morgan and the Real Don Steele at a live show they did at a local movie theater. I even did a debate where I stated that The Monkees would be around long after the The Rolling Stones Hey I was only 13 and in love with Davy Jones!!!

FannyB1923 Guest
    I'm an LA Radio kid too.

It seems like an inordinate number of deejays I remember from the 60's died of cancer: Robert W. Morgan, Don Steele, Bob Hudson, Lohman and Barkley, Bobby Pickett, Gene Weed.

The good news is, last I heard, Dick Biondi is still around!

Of course, in that generation, all the grownups smoked. I guess if you live long enough, something will get ya.

how about Ray Briem? Old time LA talkshow host...

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    Another LA Disc Jockey I have a few airchecks from. From what I can tell he was quite popular...I never was all that impressed with him though??

He died in 1997 of lung Cancer.
    The Real Don Steele did quite a bit of TV as well. Not only was he on Batman with Adam West & Burt Ward but he also had his own American Bandstand style of show as well back in the 70s.

Sadly Steele ( and Robert W. Morgan ) were smokers however I think in Steele's case he had given up the habit some 10 to 15 years before his death from lung cancer.

For decades cigarettes and radio went hand and hand. Many stations back in those days actually required their airstaff to take up the habit in order to get as they say "..that deep set of pipes !!". I used to work beside a man who back in the 60's worked for Norfolk-Virginia Beach's WGH radio ( one of the big top stations in the south back then ).

Before he could go on the air, WGH went out to the store and bought him a pack of Marlboros and told him he had to take up the habit if he ever wanted to successful in radio not too mention they wouldn't put him on the air had he did not. He did what WGH requested and yeah became hooked and like a lot of smokers, he had his share of health issues over the years all related to a habit WGH pretty much forced him to do.

Lisamarie Guest
    My Dad is Willy B...for those of you who dont know the Reel Don Steel is my god father I grew up with his crazy ass...he taught my dad ecerything he know..I miss him dearly! If you look up Ca air check there are many with Willy B Goode ( my dad) And The reel don Steel....I could tell some stories!! Thankyou Dan for bringing up someone so dear to my heart.....I have a photo on my desk know Im looking right at it of my dad and the reel don steel together in the studio...I can all but get high from looking at this pic!! Lol!! I miss radio.....I hate the way its turning out...all automated...dead air and miserable emo kids on air....just sucks....I am glad Don is not here to see the way radio turned out. I miss him and can still hear his voice clearly in my head....he would grab my face andsay say its all in the pipes!!! Its all in the pipes!!!

FannyB1923 Guest
    Lisa, who was Tina Delgado? ;-)

I think ten years from now "radio" will be gone. There will still be broadcasting, but it will be over the Internet. There's lots of neat podcasts now. I know young people (like my daughter) who never play broadcast radio. When they're in the car, they bring their mp3's with them.

Lisamarie Guest
    shes alive alive lol!!!! My Dad would have laughed his ass off at that!!! True story my Dad walked in on him getting it on with a very young groupie on the sofa of the jock lounge!! And Don teld him wtf you gonna do take notes get the eff out!!! Also my Dad would tell me stories about doing massive amounts of drugs he said if you set out three lines and you would have to snort it up fast cause if not Don would snort all thee in a row..my dad and him had many a fight about this...once he set out like eight lines to be split with four people and don did them all!! Like a hoover vac my dad said....who here remebers eating Raul?? Great movie!!!

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    I think ten years from now "radio" will be gone. There will still be broadcasting, but it will be over the Internet. There's lots of neat podcasts now. I know young people (like my daughter) who never play broadcast radio. When they're in the car, they bring their mp3's with them.
    Actually it may be sooner than that. a LOT sooner !!

Many radio stations no longer use announcers.....at all !!! And when it comes to the important information like the weather, school closings and the like...a lot of radio stations will tell you to "watch TV" or "check www....." instead.

There was a time when automation meant two things...money troubles..or "..trying something new" like a new format, either way it was temporary and also automation was more/less reserved for small towns. Today in many big cities like Indianapolis, Kansas City, Cleveland, Buffalo and yes Denver..automation is the norm. There are even a few stations in New York City that went automated..unheard of just a few years back.

And some radio stations wonder why they have ZERO ratings and no listeners at all. Example when Martinsburg, WV WEPM-AM went off the air a few years back for two weeks...no one noticed !! And to think Patsy Cline actually worked there.

Sadly radio is dead..or will be in just a few years. If the Real Don Steele and Robert W. Morgan heard whats on the radio today they really would be rolling in their graves.
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 07-28-2008 at 08:09 AM.

rickenbacker Guest
    Only been to LA once in my life, but it's amazing how influenced I was by some of these people! I spent the first part of my adulthood in the radio biz. The last station I worked at, in a small Illinois town, was Bill Brown. Used to do radio and TV news out there.

The radio/smoking thing cracks me up too. It WAS part of the biz back then! I wish I would have swiped this resume I found once. Had been in the station's files since 1959, I think. The resume had a photo printed on it. The guy was standing in front of an old-time HUGE microphone, perfectly gooped hair, thin mustache, tailored suit...and holding a lit cigarette! I still chuckle just thinking about it.