Thread: Dalton Trumbo: 1905-1976

Giada Guest

Dalton Trumbo: 1905-1976

Surprised Dalton did not have his own thread. He was one of the blacklisted 10 moved his family to Mexico and wrote under pseudonyms.

Glorious history as a writer ...

Exodus, Spartacus, Hawaii, Tender Comrade, Roman Holiday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton_Trumbo

silverwaif77 Guest
    When I went to buy Johnny got his gun, the older gentleman at the bookstore asked me if I was sure I wanted to buy it. That the book was violent, not really something a young woman would enjoy reading. I said are you just that sexist or are you still afraid of communists?
    I have enjoyed many of Mr Trumbo's books, and his screenplays. It's too bad that this great mind is rarely mentioned due to his involvement with the communist party.

silverwaif77 Guest
    The movie Johnny got his gun was directed by Dalton Trumbo. The book and movie got an unexpected boost when used for the song "One" by Metallica, the video (their first) featured movie footage form the movie. The concept of the song was taken from the idea about being injured and being left without arms, legs, the ability to see or speak. When talking about the idea, someone mentioned there was a book or movie about this same topic.

I'm glad this thread was posted. I've read and watched a lot of old newsreel footage on the Hollywood Ten over the years.

I'm watching the movie "Trumbo", starring Bryan Cranston as Dalton Trumbo, right now. The number of scripts he and his blacklisted writer friends wrote under pseudonyms for King pictures is astounding, before he was approached by Kirk Douglas and Otto Preminger to write legitimately again.

He had the tenacious conviction to stand up for his ideology and friends while making sure his family had the necessities. Shame on him!

His son became the go-to expert on Hollywood blacklisting before he died too. I see we already have a thread on him as well. It's nice that he, like his father, shared his knowledge of blacklisting instead of running from it.

I also just found this article about how Trumbo's daughters, Mitzi and Nikoli, were involved in the film to ensure accuracy:

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-84929987/

P.S. Hedda Hopper--what a bitch!
    Last edited by SomeChick; 04-29-2017 at 01:50 PM.

5. 12-27-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I'm glad this thread was posted. I've read and watched a lot of old newsreel footage on the Hollywood Ten over the years.

I'm watching the movie "Trumbo", starring Bryan Cranston as Dalton Trumbo, right now. The number of scripts he and his blacklisted writer friends wrote under pseudonyms for King pictures is astounding, before he was approached by Kirk Douglas and Otto Preminger to write legitimately again.

He had the tenacious conviction to stand up for his ideology and friends while making sure his family had the necessities. Shame on him!

His son became the go-to expert on Hollywood blacklisting before he died too. I see we already have a thread on him as well. It's nice that he, like his father, shared his knowledge of blacklisting instead of running from it.

I also just found this article about how Trumbo's daughters, Mitzi and Nikoli, were involved in the film to ensure accuracy:

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1.../p2p-84929987/

P.S. Hedda Hopper--what a bitch!
    Dalton Trumbo was a great American.
    Today in America people need to talk
    up more for what has happened to the
    USA.(since 2016)
    P.S. Hedda Hopper was a bitch!
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.