Thread: Murder-Suicide at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore

Murder-Suicide at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore

By David Gardner

A gunman today killed himself and his mother as police prepared to storm the hospital room where he had barricaded himself in after shooting a doctor.

The gunman, Warren Davis, 50, was believed to be enraged over his sick mother's medical care at prestigious Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
    Police said Davis was briefed about his mother's medical condition by a doctor outside her hospital room at just after 11am this morning when he became 'emotionally distraught' and 'overwhelmed'.
    He then took a small semi-automatic handgun from his waistband and fired a single gunshot that struck the doctor in the lower chest, upper abdomen.

Medical drama: A gunman and his mother is dead and the doctor he shot is in stable condition after a siege at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore

'The doctor collapsed outside the doorway and Mr Davis ran into the room brandishing the gun at his mother who was confined to the bed,' a police spokesman said.
    Police evacuated the floor in the Nelson Building, a thoracic centre on the sprawling campus, where the gunman was cornered and negotiators from a police SWAT team tried to coax him into surrendering for more than two hours.
    But at 1.30pm, armed officers broke into the room to discover the mother, Jean Davis, dead in her bed from gunshot wounds and her son dying on the floor.
    Neither the police or hospital authorities would comment on the news the gunman was told about his mother's health.
    An inquiry was being launched this afternoon into how Mr Davis was able to bring a weapon into the hospital.

There were conflicting reports after it was initially claimed that the man was shot and killed by police officers.
    But a Baltimore police spokesman later confirmed that he killed himself after murdering his mother.

Murder-suicide: Baltimore City police officers enter the hospital after reports the gunman had taken a hostage. He later shot himself and his mother who was being treated at the hospital.

The doctor was rushed into surgery immediately after being shot and his condition was said to be â??stable.â??
    'We do know the doctor will be okay,' a police spokesman said. 'He is the best place in the world to be treated in these circumstances.â??
    His abdominal injuries were said to be non-life threatening.
    A nurse who said she was on the floor at the time of the 11am shooting said the man was angry about his motherâ??s care. She said he was threatening to jump out of a window.
    â??I started running. When you hear gunshots you run,â?? she added.
    â??He is in a hospital room with his mother and was upset about some surgery carried out on her,â?? a source told the Baltimore Sun.

WHAT IS JOHNS HOPKINS?

With nearly 1,000 beds, Johns Hopkins has been consistently ranked as Americaâ??s number one hospital.
    Founded in 1889, it is a world famous hospital which is the birthplace of many medical specialties, including neurosurgery, urology and cardiac surgery.
    For 20 consecutive years, the hospital has been named the top overall hospital in America by US News and World Report.

A Baltimore Police spokesman would not confirm the report.
    The ER and other parts of the hospital were running as usual. The FBI and SWAT teams were both at the scene.
    â??As a precaution, Johns Hopkins Hospital has temporarily restricted access to main hospital buildings following a report this morning of a disturbance and possible shooting on one of the floors,â?? said Johns Hopkins officials in a statement.
    â??City police and Hopkins security officers are on the scene and are asking employees, visitors, patients and caregivers to stay in their rooms or offices with the door locked if possible until further notice.â??
    Jacqueline Billy, a nurse who works in respiratory care, said she was on the seventh floor when the shooting took place.
    She got in an elevator, accidentally went up to the eighth floor, and when the elevator doors opened, police with guns drawn ordered her to shut the door.
    â??I was petrified, the door opened and there are a bunch of guns. You never expect that,â?? she said.
    The incident has parallels with the sensational season finale of the medical drama â??Greyâ??s Anatomyâ?? when a gunman runs amok gunning for surgeons at the showâ??s fictional hospital in Seattle.
    In the dramatic storyline, the killer claimed he was out for revenge because his wife died at the hospital.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1312673/Hospital-gunman-shoots-mother-terrifying-murder-suicide.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0zj5aWfra

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/cri...iref=allsearch
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

wow.
    it's so sad that some people just don't know how to react to certain situations and they take it out on the people around them.

STsFirstmate Guest
    There are more of these incidents than people realize.
    The was a mental health professional raped and another one stabbed at a Boston hospital this year.
    http://wbztv.com/local/mass.general.rape.2.1266131.html
    Then a Doctor was stabbed by her patient at the same hospital. Her assailant was killed by an off duty security guard. One of my Boston co-workers was dating a Doctor form Mass general who was there during and after the attack and she told him it there was so much blood everywhere on the walls and floor it looked like an animal had been butchered.
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/21466668/detail.html
    Another Doctor had been shot and killed by a patient a couple of years earlier. This all happened at Mass General a large well regarded hospital in downtown Boston.
    I think Doctors and Nurses have no idea who they are dealing with sometimes including how dangerous and unstable their patient might be.
    I am glad this Doctor at John's Hopkins is going to be OK.
    regards,
    Mary

stacebabe Guest
    It's sad that we basically need metal detectors in hospitals.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    It's sad that we basically need metal detectors in hospitals.
    Like the John'd hopkins rep said. There are 80 different entrances to the facility including loading docks.
    I think it will be tough to do.
    It is a real problem for sure.
    Regards,
    Mary

Jazbabee Guest
    I had surgery at Hopkins 2 years ago, and it is so easy to bring almost anything into and out of that hospital, it's unreal !

I unfortunatly work in the proxmity to Johns Hopkins and was trapped in the traffic mele that insued as the closed the surrounding streets. Took me almost 3 hrs to go 3 miles. My heart goes out to Dr. Cohen.. and his family