Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death slang

ST Moron Guest

Death slang

The whole "passed/passed on" thing just doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid.

I'm torn between "Punted Big" and "became less talkative."

Your favourites?

"She didn't pass on, pass over, or pass out! She died!" - This Happy Breed

DeadRinger Guest
    I will normally use "kicked it" (as in the bucket), "bit it" or "popped their clogs".
    Last edited by DeadRinger; 10-10-2007 at 02:04 AM.

attackatdawn Guest
    I really do not like the word dead either, I know our bodies die but I believe our souls or energy lives on. I guess I would say kick the bucket or slipped away

Danny62 Guest
    "Expired" is kind of an odd one.

I use croaked,bought the farm and augered in,except when its close family and dead seems to be harshly comforting (oxymoron?).

Guest Guest
    Another ones bites the dust? LMFAO

A fan of Queen?

Darrianne Guest
    taking the dirt nap, the big sleep, riding the sandman express, pushing up daisies.......

I usually just say "died".......too plain? blunt?

mike Guest
    My favorites is Cash in his chips ( I first heard Gene Hackman,use that toward Christopher Reeve in the first Superman,when he was walking toward him with kryptonite) Talking to dead relatives and At one with his or her ansectors.

GODDESS6 Guest
    sorry if this offends anyone, my grandpa was a farmer & when animals would die, he would call it being "tits up", so that is what we say when someone passes~

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    A fan of Queen?

But of course, everyone has to have atleast one favorite Queen song, right?

djdeath-hag Guest
    I like "bought the farm".....but the one that I always am snickering at is when a passage has been referred to as "lost".....like the Ramsey's lost their daughter. UGH I immediately ask when I hear this, "do they need help lookin'?" Of course, in the Ramsey's case, they did need help but didn't have to go as far as their own back yard (thank you Dorothy Gale).

Others are "worm food", "transitioned" (which in some circles just means having gender reassignment....causing that awkward question, "Did he die or just have mr. happy rennovated?"

Call me old fashioned, but dead or died works for me. I love the "riding the sandman express" expression Dari! That's a new one for me!

Mrs. Watson Guest
    DJ, I totally agree with the "lost" thing. What, did they get lost in the Super Wal-Mart?

I heard "Won't be renewing his library card" the other day and thought that was pretty amusing.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    I heard "Won't be renewing his library card" the other day and thought that was pretty amusing.
    That's a new one......I like it! I'd say that I can hardly wait to use it...but that would just be wrong!!!

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but dead or died works for me. I love the "riding the sandman express" expression Dari! That's a new one for me!
    I heard my uncle say that and who knows where he got it from. LOL

SueWahoo Guest
    Hello peoples!

Here are my contributions: 1. Assumed room temperature and 2. Kicked the oxygen habit.

Sue

Black Angel Guest
    My nana (grandmother) used to always say " Gone Home to Jesus"

Dirt Nap

Mavros Guest
    Feeding the roses.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Elvis has left the building.

Here are some that I've heard or used:

"Checked Out"

"Taking a permanent vacation"

"Keeping St. Peter company"

"Teaching the Angels how to swing dance"

"Checking out the Pearly Gates"

"Gone Fishing-Forever"

"Went to see the big man"

Begothed Guest
    Bought The Farm Is My Fav. Worm Feast, Riding The Big Wave, Playing Tennis With Jesus, Turned In The Life Card, And Met The Reaper.

Begothed Guest
    Oh Yes, I Forgot- "his Lava Lamp Went Out". Man I'm Old.

Begothed Guest
    "last Ride In The Meat Wagon'

Ok I'll Stop.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    You don't use that one at work do you?

Twisted person that I am, I can just see a CSI investigator breezing onto a crime scene saying "Another one bites the dust, huh?" really loud and cheerfully.

(With family members standing nearby, of course!)

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    That's one of my favorites too! and kicked the bucket..checked out is another one!

Brown bread, cockney rhyming slang. Always a winner.

Gary Guest
    Croked.....because I have relatives with the last name of Croke.

DeadRinger Guest
    I also use "gone to God".

Thorn Bird Guest
    Bit the Big One.

tngirl1967 Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    sorry if this offends anyone, my grandpa was a farmer & when animals would die, he would call it being "tits up", so that is what we say when someone passes~
    OMG I have heard that too from old farmers. Especially when referring to a hog for some reason.

I personally like "dirt nap" myself, along with "bit the big one"

Around older people at family funerals I try to remember to say "passed on" instead of dead. Somehow not as shocking. That way there's not two people taking dirt naps in the same building.

My preference, however, I suppose from working in the healthcare field for so long, is that they EXPIRED. How placid . We got that alot from the nursing homes, when we would have to go pick up bodies to take to the morgue.

I always wanted to ask where the expiration date was on them. I personally never saw an expiration date on anybody so I don't think they expired. However, they were never that fresh either.........

dirk diggler Guest
    My 2 favourites, Karked it and Dropped off the twig..

BIKERTRASH Guest
    Bought it
    Abracadaver (from my EMT days)

HKWolf Guest
    Dirt nap, turf tuxedo, circling the bowl, toed up, coffin cruisin'.

Spencemom Guest

Not my favorite but...

This is not my favorite, but @ work we have to say "the patient expired". I think it is awful. Its like comparing them to milk.

SueWahoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencemom View Post
    This is not my favorite, but @ work we have to say "the patient expired". I think it is awful. Its like comparing them to milk.
    My sister is an ER nurse and she told me that they say: Circling the drain for the almost expired. I asked her if that was official nurse-speak and she replied, Yes, and we also use the term wacka-doodly for the crazy ones.

Sue

DeadRinger Guest
    One of my family friends had been ill for years and was in palliative care. He hung on for years, and the nurses referred to him as Lazarus, or the coffin dodger.

candleinthewind Guest
    My grandmother always said "gone on to their great reward" a Christian reference. She also used to say passed, as "You remember Mrs. Jones right? Well she passed." I'd think passed what? Her drivers test.

Spencemom Guest
    Yes, Suewahoo, you really don't want to know what your healthcare providers are saying about you. The term "circling" is used. One of our patients told me,"Well, I guess I better not buy any green bananas". I love that line.

DeadRinger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencemom View Post
    One of our patients told me,"Well, I guess I better not buy any green bananas". I love that line.

Hugh Laurie used that line in an episode of House MD.

Gardner32 Guest
    OMG, someone on here said "pops his clogs" that was so damn funny!

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    Assumed Room Temperature.

magblax Guest
    Deceased. I would probably just say "died" in normal coversation but I like the sound of deceased, and the dead person refered to as the decedent.

rock_chick Guest
    I like to use dead or died which are straight to the point. I can't stand it when people say someone has passed away or passed on.

DeadRinger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner32 View Post
    OMG, someone on here said "pops his clogs" that was so damn funny!
    That was me. Glad you liked it!

I work in the health care field and hate the term Expired. It just sounds so wrong in different ways. We don't have dates stamped on us (physically) and we're not food items. (well unless you're going to be worm food). Expired and passed are not my favorite terms. If we're speaking medically just say died or dead. LOL! Ok I'll hop off my soap box!

SlippyInvader Guest
    Mine is as dead as a Dodo

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrianne View Post
    taking the dirt nap, the big sleep, riding the sandman express, pushing up daisies.......

I usually just say "died".......too plain? blunt?

That is hysterical. I have never heard any of those before.

Fabulous post Darrianne

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    "Tits Up"!!! I can't believe someone else actually uses that phrase! It's my favorite euphemism too, I've used it for YEARS!