Thread: What is your take on this Richard Roberts thing?

Harry in Connecticut Guest

What is your take on this Richard Roberts thing?

You know Richard, son of Oral "GAWD IS GONNA KILL ME" Roberts.

Seems he's been using church funds for his own use Gosh what a surprise to everyone.

He was on Tom Snyder, when the almighty had the jihad going against Papa Oral. The money had not been raised, and sonny boy had just accepted a freaking house from some idiot.

Tom asked him why he didn't sell the house towards appeasing the killer deity. Richard looked like some shit had backed up to his eyeballs.

He said he was entitled to accept the house if it was donated. He said he had been living in a small 3500 square foot house, that just wasn't big enough. BTW, nobody I know calls 3500 sq ft small.

But, hey, Daddy's gonna be daid!!

Noooo, it's my house.

Armcast Guest
    I've read only one story about the whole thing...it sounds pretty much par for the course. Hypocrisy, unfortunately, is alive and well and it seems to be living at ORU.

I think they've only touched the tip of the iceberg with the current accusations.

I'm just reminded of the song from Hank Williams, Jr. - the one where he talks about televangelists -

"They say to send your money to the Lord, but they give you their address"

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    You know Richard, son of Oral "GAWD IS GONNA KILL ME" Roberts.
    What?!?

Don't tell me that OR is workin' the same tired routine again in an attempt to con the rubes?

Isn't he familiar with the old saying: "One town, one routine, one time?"

I wrote a post not an hour ago alluding to the OR "God is gonna call me home unless..." routine that he pulled way-back-when.

And, frankly, I wasn't sure if that would seem hopelessly dated. @_@

But perhaps not.

Darrianne Guest
    Once again, someone who gives the very illusion of 'being a Christian' a bad name.

~heavy sigh~

Danny62 Guest
    Anyone ever heard of Bob Tilton? That guy is a big JOKE!!

I remeber in 1980's I would record his shows to watch at night and get a big laugh!!

This is what he was caught doing:

In 1991, Diane Sawyer and ABC News conducted an investigation of Tilton (as well as two other Dallas-area televangelists, W.V. Grant and Larry Lea). The investigation, spearheaded by Trinity Foundation president Ole Anthony and broadcast on ABC's Primetime Live on November 21, 1991, found that Tilton's ministry threw away prayer requests without reading them, keeping only any money or valuables sent to them by viewers, garnering his ministry an estimated US$80 million a year.

He is since back to preaching. But I remember one time he was reading prayer requests and this is what he said about someone only sending him 5 dollars.

"You can find 5 dollars walking down the street. You need to send in an amount that shows faith. 20, 50, 100 dollars". He said something like that. I have long lost the VCR tape of that episode!!

Oh And Scott takes you by Oral Roberts house in the Hollywood hills on the tour...Yeah I am sure they have been skimming money!!!

Bob Tilton is the guy they used to make the farting preacher vids.That is sooo funny.check it out on you tube.

ComputerGuy Guest
    Religion at it's best!! Local Minister here in 'bama

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...072scuba1.html

attackatdawn Guest
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic..._1__Embat80818

Embattled Oral Roberts University President Richard Roberts resigned Friday following nearly two months of allegations that he and his family misused university and ministry resources

ComputerGuy Guest
    I like the Reverand Ike. You can have pie in the sky, by and by, when you dye, just send me your money!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverend_Ike

magblax Guest
    This is sad and typical. What a joke. Does anyone remember Dr. Gene Scott?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Fqms_Iw8M
    At least he was honest...

onehunglow Guest
    Maybe he should see that people that Laid Hands on Ted Hagart-I'm cured now!!! I think Jimmy Swaggart helped him as well as Jim Baker.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Does anyone remember Dr. Gene Scott?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Fqms_Iw8M
    At least he was honest...
    I DO !!! and....he's still on TV! I know, he's dead, but...he's STILL on TV! We have a local station that reruns him every single freakin' night...I had a real flashback to my youth when I started seeing him on television again a couple of years ago!!
    I thought, DAMN, isn't he dead yet LOL !!!

poppie Guest
    Gene Scott was a hoot, and IMO, out for the money - for him. I don't think he was a religious man. The IRS was on him all the time, but one day Scott was really angry. He sent out for hamburgers for everyone in the audience, stating the IRS was not gonna tell him how to spend his money.

If any of you have been to Forest Lawn Glendale, Dr.Scott's church is almost across the street from the main gate of Forest Lawn.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    SHOCKER!!!! another crooked Jesus freak taking money from sorry saps who think that buying a spot in heaven is the way to go.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Gene Scott was a hoot, and IMO, out for the money - for him. I don't think he was a religious man. The IRS was on him all the time, but one day Scott was really angry. He sent out for hamburgers for everyone in the audience, stating the IRS was not gonna tell him how to spend his money.

If any of you have been to Forest Lawn Glendale, Dr.Scott's church is almost across the street from the main gate of Forest Lawn.
    He was honest about what he was doing! He actually started out as a religious man and the...something went terribly askew. He is fun to watch.

onehunglow Guest

I'm glad someone tells it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    He was honest about what he was doing! He actually started out as a religious man and the...something went terribly askew. He is fun to watch.
    Now him, I may go and listen to. Sounds like me when my Kids piss me off.

FannyB1923 Guest
    I had to look- Oral is still hanging out on our earthly plain.

Kathie Lee Gifford attended Oral Roberts U!

Jim Baker anyone????

RoRo Guest
    I say never send your money to anyone that says it will get you closer to God or heaven...that just is not the way it works and if someone does than I say they deserve to get cheated by these greedy bastards

michael d Guest
    Sadly, I think that a lot of the people that are cheated are elderly people. I know that my grandparents were brought up that you were suppose to donate to the church. For some of these elderly people that are house bound it maybe as close to church as they can get. I've read of elderly losing their life savings. Perhaps they are naive, but they hardly deserve to be cheated.

I'm a secular humanist though when I see people like Richard Roberts I wished there was a fire and brimstone hell.