By RONALD BLUM
    AP Sports Writer
    NEW YORK (AP) -- The Yankees say owner George Steinbrenner has
    died. He was 80.
    Spokesman Howard Rubenstein said he died Tuesday morning. He had
    a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla.,
    and died at about 6:30 a.m, a person close to the owner told The
    Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity
    because the team had not disclosed those details.
    Steinbrenner, who celebrated his birthday July 4, had been in
    fragile health for several years.
    Flags were immediately lowered to half-staff at Steinbrenner
    Field, the Yankees' spring training complex. The Yankees says many
    employees there were in tears.
    The death comes two days after the team's beloved public-address
    announcer Bob Sheppard died at 99.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    APTV 07-13-10 1005EDT

HappyCat Guest
    Just heard it too. He hasn't been in good health in many years. Sad day for the Steinbrenner family and the Yankees organization.

STsFirstmate Guest
    He was an interesting but unlikeable man.
    A Cleveland inland lakes shipping guy that made his mark in NY. He did provide NY with the finest baseball talent money could buy.......but I still hate the Yankees.
    It has been a bad week for them between Shepard passing away and now Gerorge. Lot's of history and tradition gone. One guy very classy and the other not so much.
    RIP George! I hope Billy Martin and the Mick met you at the pearly gates.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    He was an interesting but unlikeable man.
    A Cleveland inland lakes shipping guy that made his mark in NY. He did provide NY with the finest baseball talent money could buy.......but I still hate the Yankees.
    It has been a bad week for them between Shepard passing away and now Gerorge. Lot's of history and tradition gone. One guy very classy and the other not so much.
    RIP George! I hope Billy Martin and the Mick met you at the pearly gates.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Exactly.
    You don't want to see anybody die. But I'm sure there are many people who are having mixed feelings about his death.

6. 07-13-2010, 09:55 AM
    Reason
    just because

gemini33 Guest
    Not that I'm glad to see him die, now maybe the Yankees will quit wasting so much money on mediocre players that made the market for other mediocre players rise. Hopefully now the salaries will go down some. RIP George, you were one of the many that had ruined baseball. George and his spending ways are the soul reason I hate the Yankees.

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I hope Billy Martin and the Mick met you at the pearly gates.
    I think my dad would have been there too! He loved the Yankees so much that I considered having him cremated wearing his Yankees cap, but it was so special to him I couldn't part with it. He was cremated with his Braves hat instead. I hope the entire Yankees family can find some peace of mind during this rough time.

(and I finally got points on the celebrity death list!)

Katrinawitch Guest
    Every time I think of him, I hear the "Steinbrenner" from Seinfeld, when George was working for the Yankee organization!

Carrie Guest
    I was looking forward to watching the All-Star game tonight...now, not so much....gonna be a George fest

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    I was looking forward to watching the All-Star game tonight...now, not so much....gonna be a George fest
    And Derek jeter asked that his intro be a taped Shepard intro of him from Yankee Staium.
    Regards,
    Mary

stacebabe Guest
    As a human, I'm very sorry for his family's loss. As a Bostonian and Red Sox fan, I hope they never find anyone as good as he was to replace heading up the Yankees.

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    As a human, I'm very sorry for his family's loss. As a Bostonian and Red Sox fan, I hope they never find anyone as good as he was to replace heading up the Yankees.
    If I'm not mistaken, hasn't one of his sons been heading up the organization for like the last year or so? I'm sure with that family dynasty, they won't let the Yankees slip from their grip...

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini33 View Post
    Not that I'm glad to see him die, now maybe the Yankees will quit wasting so much money on mediocre players that made the market for other mediocre players rise. Hopefully now the salaries will go down some. RIP George, you were one of the many that had ruined baseball. George and his spending ways are the soul reason I hate the Yankees.
    Baseball was a buisness long before George came along.
    And if your not a Yankee fan I guess I can understand why one is upset at them.
    If it was your own beloved team spending money and winning games then there is no problem, right?

And because of the buisness mentality, that's why I'm not so much a fan of the majors anymore. Instead I cheer on our local team in a leauge made up of summer college kids.
    They are all about playing baseball and not sponsorship deals, contracts or any of the other money crap that has clouded baseball.
    Last edited by GrinReaper; 07-14-2010 at 12:26 AM.

mel306 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, hasn't one of his sons been heading up the organization for like the last year or so? I'm sure with that family dynasty, they won't let the Yankees slip from their grip...
    For about the last four years his sons, mainly Hank have run things.

I am a die hard Yankee fan and I understand the Boss did a lot of charity that was not public BUT the New York papers need to be reminded that God did not die, it was just the Boss.

Everyone is acting like he never did anything wrong. This guy was suspended twice by MLB. Can we let up a little on the worshipping that is going on?

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Wow, there are a lot of negative posts here. Sure Mr. Steinbrenner wasn't perfect, but he did a lot for baseball. He didn't break any rules while signing players. I laugh at people who think he was bad for baseball. He upped the competition. He's paid exorbitant amounts of money for players, but it was his money and he paid the luxury tax. Sometimes the deals worked, sometimes they failed miserably. There are plenty of owners who are richer than Steinbrenner, yet they don't do anything with their teams. They just pocket the luxury tax money and let their teams and fans suffer. Steinbrenner wanted to win and he did anything within the rules to make that happen. He gave the fans what they wanted. I understand why you'd despise that if you're not a Yankee fan. The Yankees are a business. Steinbrenner bought the team for about $10 million and now it's worth about $1.5 billion. You need to spend money to make money. There are a ton of cliches in my post, but they're true.

He was seen as a tyrannical owner in the 70s and 80s, but he softened up and fans actually grew to love him. He's done tons of charitable work and didn't want it to be publicized. I really don't know why people think he ruined baseball. He had a huge market having a team in NY, the YES Network is huge, and the team is a global brand name. Every team buys players. The Yankees are financially fortunate enough to keep their homegrown players by paying for their contracts. If you look at the roster today, there are many players from the Yankee farm system.

I can't change people's minds and I guess I'm a bit biased since I'm a Yankee fan. I'm just really passionate when it comes to people putting down the Yankees when they just see things one way.

Anyway, sorry about the long rant. RIP Mr. Steinbrenner. Thank you for caring about your fans. Thank you for everything.

RaRaRamona Guest
    All I knew about this guy I learned on Seinfeld.