Thread: Former NHL tough guy Bob Probert, 45

Former NHL tough guy Bob Probert, 45

Carrie Guest
    I just saw this in the news. I can't believe it. If he was on your team, you loved him, and if he wasn't, you loved to hate him. Wow, Proby RIP.

knothere Guest
    rip
    n dont stik nuffin up ur nose ever

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Holy cow; I'm shocked!

I'm not shocked. Too many years of too many drugs.

He was Jim Bakker's cellmate at one time, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintgiver View Post
    I'm not shocked. Too many years of too many drugs.

He was Jim Bakker's cellmate at one time, you know.
    I agree that his drinking and drug abuse took his toll on him - as a Wings fan when he was here, it was maddening and heartbreaking all the times his off-ice behavior got him in trouble.

But from what I had read, he had finally begun to turn his life around, stayed clean and was married with a wife and 4 young kids. I was always rooting for him to find happiness in his life.

For what it's worth - he was always nice to the fans at autograph signings and charity softball games - I had a few instances of chatting with him at those kind of appearances, and he was just a funny, sweet guy.

It's all just a bloody shame - 45 is way too young.

We'll miss ya, Probie.
    Last edited by Metal Mel; 07-05-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added a comment
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

Top 5 Probert hockey fights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZEMSsGWYU
    --Castle

So sad...just when the guy seemed to have turned his life around WHAMMO...gone. I can't help but suspect that the cocaine did damage to his heart that made his health a ticking time bomb. He was like a gorilla on skates...probably one of the most feared fighters ever to lace 'em up.

One of the comments about him in the local news story mentioned that his father passed away in his 40's of a heart attack too - so in addition to the coke damage, I wonder if there was genetics involved.
    --Castle

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    RIP Probie

james1977 Guest

Awful

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post
    One of the comments about him in the local news story mentioned that his father passed away in his 40's of a heart attack too - so in addition to the coke damage, I wonder if there was genetics involved.
    He could have taken coke. But I had a great friend who did everything right , non- smoker, thin, ate right and he died in his sleep of a massive heart attack. at age 39 . I couldn't believe it, he did everything right . Look at Arthur Ashe, thin, athlete. It's that damn hypocholesterolemia, it runs in the genes. My friends dad also died young of a damn heart attack. There was a skater, who was 29 and he died of a heart attack at 29. It just sucks, we are at the mercy of our genes. It does help to get everything checked, but many have had a clean bill of health and dropped dead the next day. Eat an apple a day, drink one beer a day, take an aspirin a day, stay thin, eat balanced and keep our fingers crossed. I can't frickin understand it.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by james1977 View Post
    He could have taken coke. But I had a great friend who did everything right , non- smoker, thin, ate right and he died in his sleep of a massive heart attack. at age 39 . I couldn't believe it, he did everything right . Look at Arthur Ashe, thin, athlete. It's that damn hypocholesterolemia, it runs in the genes. My friends dad also died young of a damn heart attack. There was a skater, who was 29 and he died of a heart attack at 29. It just sucks, we are at the mercy of our genes. It does help to get everything checked, but many have had a clean bill of health and dropped dead the next day. Eat an apple a day, drink one beer a day, take an aspirin a day, stay thin, eat balanced and keep our fingers crossed. I can't frickin understand it.
    Could have been a dozen things that killed him but it's human nature to want to point a finger when someone dies unexpectedly It makes us feel safer he died because he died young because he did so mabny drugs (can't happen to me). Would like to know whu he's of an age wher heat attack or brain aneurysm ruptures can happen.

Eerie Frightenstein Guest
    Geez, the people on this site gossip more than a sewin circle.... drugs killed him? I guess drugs killed his dad in his early 40's too? Please....

Loved Probie, one of the meanest guys on the ice ever. One of the nicest guys off it (if he wasn't drinking too much). Too many good memories to post. Rest in peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Eerie Frightenstein View Post
    Geez, the people on this site gossip more than a sewin circle.... drugs killed him? I guess drugs killed his dad in his early 40's too? Please....
    It was well documented that Probie had problems with alcohol and cocaine while he was in the NHL (at least with the Red Wings). We (the Detroit area fans) saw it reported on a regular basis.

Now I do believe that since he left the NHL, he had cleaned up and been sober for quite some time (and I was happy to hear it).

I don't believe that he was currently doing any kind of drugs in the present - I (and others) were commenting that it is possible his earlier drug habit may have contributed to stress on his body that led to an early and fatal heart attack.

I also commented that his dad died young of a heart attack as well - and no, I don't think his dad did drugs (I would have no idea), but suggesting that a combination of both factors may have played a part.

This is the findadeath forum - we do tend to have discussions about the possible causes of death. I think this thread has been pretty respectful for the most part, and we are not "gossiping", but merely commenting on possible causes due to well documented information.
    Last edited by Metal Mel; 07-06-2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: reworded to avoid snarkiness
    --Castle

HKWolf Guest
    Loved Probert. He will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Top 5 Probert hockey fights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZEMSsGWYU
    Awsome compilation Mel. I was surprised to see the Wendel Clark fight. I'd heard that Probert and Clark wouldn't fight each other because they were cousins.

All the fighting aside, let's remember that he could play too - unlike some fo the cement heads you see in the league now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eerie Frightenstein View Post
    He was a massive abuser of drugs and alcohol for much of his adult life, yet they had nothing to do with his death?

Uh huh. And the moon landing was faked too.

For the person who makes mention of Probert's father and a drug connection, his father was a policeman.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Awsome compilation Mel. I was surprised to see the Wendel Clark fight. I'd heard that Probert and Clark wouldn't fight each other because they were cousins.

All the fighting aside, let's remember that he could play too - unlike some fo the cement heads you see in the league now.

Yeah, he could. One thing that came back to me was Mickey Redmond in his color commentary during Wings games always saying "Probert with his long reach..."

Meh - I am bummed. Probert and the Wings team bring back so many high school memories for me....I was such a Wing nut then.

Here's one more for you Duster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wnsRiMjCiU

Yzerman and his heavyweight belt mocking gesture is just the icing on the cake in this one.
    Last edited by Metal Mel; 07-06-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added video link
    --Castle

Ooooh man - that's a classic scrap. I'ver never seen that one before.
    Never liked Domi much either. Even when he was a Leaf.

HKWolf Guest
    Favorite Probert fight was an early 90's Wings v. Leafs game. Bob and Dave Semenko. Parts 1 and 2. Awesome.

Maybe it's just me, but getting hauled around the streets of Windsor on a motorcycle sidecar seems like a pretty embarassing exit...

Probie was apparently a motorcycle fan, according to the news reports. I don't know - I guess if it was something you loved to do in life, it just shows respect to that person.

At least he wasn't being transported via Zamboni

On an aside, major props to Stu Grimson and Tie Domi attending the funeral (along with everyone else).
    --Castle

Probie was apparently a motorcycle fan, according to the news reports. I don't know - I guess if it was something you loved to do in life, it just shows respect to that person.

At least he wasn't being transported via Zamboni

On an aside, major props to Stu Grimson and Tie Domi attending the funeral (along with everyone else).
    Yea, you're probably right...

Also, it never ceases to amaze me that these guys who fight like fiends on the ice have such cameraderie off it.

(usually - Rocket Richard and Gordie Howe couldn't stand each other )