Thread: Margaret Sullavan

Margaret Sullavan

Margaret Sullivan
    January 1,1960: Margaret Sullavan, suicide by overdose. Hollywood star of the 1930s and 1940s, and theater actress until the 1950s. Nominated for an Academy Award for Three Comrades in 1939, but best remembered for her lead role opposite James Stewart in The Shop Around the Corner. Was married to, among others, actor Henry Fonda (for two months) and director William Wyler (for sixteen months). Toward the end of her life Sullavan was going deaf and was greatly troubled by the mental illness of two of her three children. Her third offspring was actress Brooke Hayward, who wrote Haywire, an autobiography about her childhood, which was turned into a 1980 TV movie starring Lee Remick as Sullavan. Took her life by an overdose of barbiturates at age 49.

Miss Swallow Guest
    I loved her in The Shop Around the Corner and The Moon's Our Home.

Kathyf Guest
    so sad she died young.

SULLIVAN had married HENRY FONDA here in Baltimore between shows; that much I know. She'd been a friend of JOAN CRAWFORD' & JC knew what her friend had been going through, but was still shocked when 'MAGGIE' committed suicide in New Haven on New Year' Day 1960. She'd been going through a trial run of a play and kept missing her cues. The story was that she frustrated over going deaf plus problems with her children & love woes.

The TAFT HOTEL
    New Haven, Connecticut

Jaxxx Guest
    I read Haywire, along time ago, and didn't remember at the time she was the one who did the Shop Around the Corner, good movie she was so good in it. Hope she rests in peace, seem like a real troubled soul.

I'm an old movie buff, have been since I was a kid and I just saw Shop Around the Corner a very sweet movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MCghoul38 View Post
    I'm an old movie buff, have been since I was a kid and I just saw Shop Around the Corner a very sweet movie.
    I agree it is a great film they seem to play it alot around Christmas time.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I love that movie too. I worked at a store very much like the one in the movie when I was a teen. We even had similar characters working there!

Margaret's daughter Bridget died of an intentional overdose a few months after Margaret. Peter Fonda's daughter, Bridget Fonda is named for her.
    Archer Fact: You canā??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)