Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dennis Hopper

epicentre Guest

Dennis Hopper

Died aged 74 at home in Venice, California, finally losing his battle with prostate cancer :-(

RIP you rascal. He was an original.

Edit - so I put a RIP Dennis Hopper on my facebook, and one of my friends who is only 25 asks.. "Who is Dennis Hopper?" She's not joking. '
    Last edited by okidoll; 05-29-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: edit for random stupidity.

John carpenter Guest
    Damn...First Dana Plato's Son..Gary Coleman., now Dennis Hopper. I have a feeling next will be Liz Taylor.

Aww, RIP.

epicentre Guest
    Don't know whether this is of interest to you guys, but I sampled him a couple of years ago reading out my favourite poem at the start of a DJ mixset. It was appropriate at the time and it is to this day. Live life, and live it to the full:

http://filesa-10tb.house-mixes.com/d...tumnwinter.mp3

This one is not a surprise. Made his mark in some interesting movies. His character in "Easy Rider" always annoyed the shit out of me though.

R.I.P. DH
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

He was classic. He was brilliant. He was orginal. I always enjoyed his work.

RIP, Mr Hopper.

Now, someone go slap that bitch of an ex for saying Dennis wasn't really that sick.

NineTails20 Guest
    At least his suffering is over. RIP, Dennis.

sablegsd Guest
    RIP Dennis

Loved him in The Last Days of Frankie the Fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post

RIP, Mr Hopper.

Now, someone go slap that bitch of an ex for saying Dennis wasn't really that sick.
    I know. She could have at least given him a peaceful last 6 months of life.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    RIP Dennis.

He was one of a kind. I always enjoyed his work. He really brought something to the party.

(getting in line for the bitch-slap to the nag he was married to)

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    RIP you rascal. He was an original.

Edit - so I put a RIP Dennis Hopper on my facebook, and one of my friends who is only 25 asks.. "Who is Dennis Hopper?" She's not joking. '
    For some reason, I believe it. Many people under 40 don't know who a lot of legendary actors are/were these days.

Not Fade Away Guest
    aww man. I saw this one coming, as I'm sure everyone did, but it still upsets me a bit.

I was actually forbidden from re-watching Easy Rider when I was 13 because the end upset me so much that I couldn't stop crying the first time I watched it. I have no idea why it resonated with me so. I'm sure I could watch it today and be okay, for what it's worth...

His performance as Frank Booth in Blue Velvet was one of my favorites. However, I have enjoyed many of the movies he was in.

I have feverish memories of watching Apocalypse now in a dark, curtain-drawn room in mid summer with no air conditioning. The setting of where I was influenced my perception of the movie to the point they're intertwined. I don't have any other films that closely associated with a time and place.

candleinthewind Guest
    I saw him in 1998 at the Art of the Motorcycle exhibit at the Guggenheim. Long before his illness of course, but I was surprised at how healthy he looked considering the life he had been living. Great skin, fit and trim, neat and well dressed. Not what I expected. I didn't go to his seminar but he was standing just a few feet from me.

Shawver83 Guest
    Okidoll, one of my early 20-something co-workers has never heard of Dennis Hopper, 'Easy Rider,' Gary Coleman, or 'Diff'rent Strokes.' When I expressed surpise at this, he got all indignant and informed me that he was not born in the dinosaur age.

Hippo Guest
    Oh, dear. I wonder what happens with his estate now? His ex (?) wife was battling him in a divorce and the last thing I had heard, she was trying to get him to attend a deposition, and he was claiming he was too weak.

Since the divorce was not finalized, what happens? I know he didn't want her to get his estate.

The best villlian, EVER! rip

Forever-27 Guest
    wow they are droppin like flies !

Loved easyrider. 2010 seems like the IN year for death.

Ronnie James Dio, Gary Coleman and now dennis Hoper all in 1 week.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 05-29-2010 at 01:38 PM.

ZoeAnne Guest
    RIP Mr Hopper

Jazbabee Guest
    Well, we knew it was coming, may your suffering be over, and you finally be at peace ! RIP Dennis

PurrPurr Guest
    Men over 50: Please, please, PLEASE think of Dennis and get a prostate exam often. Cancer is a horrible disease, and I hate to hear about anyone suffering from it, especially if it can be prevented or treated early.

Heard this on Sky News and it upset me. He was a true star. At least he is out of pain now. R.I.P Dennis - You will be missed

RIP
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Giada Guest
    Long history in film ... I saw him recently in Giant with James Dean. He looked soooo young.

From what I've read it's been Dennis' progeny who have been the greater problem than the wife he had been with for 18 years. The judge decided in her favor and that of her child.

Safe Journey ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawver83 View Post
    Okidoll, one of my early 20-something co-workers has never heard of Dennis Hopper, 'Easy Rider,' Gary Coleman, or 'Diff'rent Strokes.' When I expressed surpise at this, he got all indignant and informed me that he was not born in the dinosaur age.
    I just.. I just... I mean, it wasn't like he hasn't been working. Hopper has been making movies and projects steadily through the years.

We are running with a joke, and trying to convince her it is someone we know.. HA HA HA HA!

slw Guest
    RIP Dennis Hopper. Only watched you yesterday in Speed. (had forgotten how good that film was!!)

desertangel Guest
    RIP Mr. Hopper. Thank you for your wonderful body of work.

Time to go watch Easy Rider.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Goodbye old friend.

Town Without Pity Guest
    I'm sad to hear this although I think we could all see it coming. My husband and I had a running joke about "Look it's Dennis Hooper in that movie"....of course my husband was usually wrong and it was someone else and I'd have to get online to look up the movie to prove to him it wasn't Dennis. We both always enjoyed his work, he will truly be missed. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    wow they are droppin like flies !

Never liked his movies anyways but 2010 seems like the IN year for death.

Ronnie James Dio, Gary Coleman and now dennis Hoper all in 1 week.
    It's a continuation of last year -- we lost a lot of famous people in 2009 and I guess the grim reaper is still going strong.

Snudgie Guest
    I thought last year was bad for celeb deaths....it's happening again!

RIP Mr Hopper...glad your pain has gone...say hi to Jimmy Dean for me..xxx

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    For some reason, I believe it. Many people under 40 don't know who a lot of legendary actors are/were these days.
    I'm 30 (oh boy, it pains me to type that!) and I knew who he was, but my husband, 29, had no idea. I think a lot of people in my generation (DH sadly included) just don't have an appreciation for good cinema. They think movies like Billy Madison or Waiting are classics. Not to knock screwy comedies, but you gotta admit, today's movies just aren't the same.

RIP King Koopa.
    For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

What's so good about goodbye, when the best was yet to come?

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Rip Dennis, you were one of a kind.

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Men over 50: Please, please, PLEASE think of Dennis and get a prostate exam often. Cancer is a horrible disease, and I hate to hear about anyone suffering from it, especially if it can be prevented or treated early.
    Make sure the Doctor is including a check of your PSA levels (it's part of blood workup, and easy to order) on your yearly exams for the fellas !! Early detection is key !!

Rest in Peace Dennis...you were an original and will be missed!!!
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post

RIP, Mr Hopper.

I agree, he was brilliant. Hope he is at peace now.

I would be more than happy to stand in line to slap that bitch! Waiting for her to say that he really isn't dead.
    Cindy

LemonPopsicle Guest
    RIP Dennis! You will be missed! Has anyone seen his photography? He was an incredible photographer.

R.I.P

zombiexgirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    RIP King Koopa.

Wow, I totally forgot about him being in that movie! I can't believe so many younger people don't know who he is. I'm in the under 30 crowd and I mentioned it amongst some friends; they all looked at me and asked-who? I bet if I would have mentioned the Super Mario Bros. movie they would have known. I tried naming off everything I could think of with him in it. I'll miss seeing him in movies, but he did leave behind quite a large body of work.

Well I would like to say that I am under 30 and do know who Dennis Hopper is. RIP Mr. Hopper, you are finally at peace and no longer in pain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

Carrie Guest
    Bummer
    RIP D-MAN

knothere Guest
    R i p

Soonerson Guest
    R.I.P. Dennis, anyone remember the Nike commercials he did in the mid 90s? Those were classic.

Its been a bad week in Hollywood

Rest In Peace

Meli Guest
    RIP to a brillant American actor!! Brave fight he put up!

Safe journey, Dennis. He had a long, brilliant career and lived life on his own terms. What more could he ask for, except more time.

Another career highlight, he helped write and direct the Monkees movie "Head", a novel and underappreciated film.

Damn, this is one hell of a weekend so far...

RIP, Dennis.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Daphne Guest
    I loved Dennis Hopper, im sorry he is gone! RIP Mr. Hopper!

RIP Dennis. One of my favorite movies with him is Giant. He had a long and very amazing career.