Cause of death: Emphysema

Race or Ethnicity: White
    Sexual orientation: Straight
    Party Affiliation: Republican
    Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: Owner, Cincinnati Reds
    Father: Edward Unnewehr
    Mother: Charlotte
    Husband: Charles J. Schott (m. 23-Sep-1952, d. 19-Feb-1968, heart attack)

General Motors Dealer
    Boy Scouts of America Dan Beard Council, $1M donation (2000)
    Risk Factors: Smoking
    [SIZE=-2]SPORTS FRANCHISE HISTORY[/SIZE]
    Cincinnati Reds Owner, 1984-99

Schott kept a low profile after she ended years of turmoil by selling her controlling interest in the club in October 1999. She appeared at news conferences when she made donations to the zoo and other local organizations.
    She loved to mingle with fans and gave generously to charitable causes, but got in trouble because she couldn't watch her words. She reportedly used racial slurs to describe her players and repeatedly praised Hitler despite admonitions to keep quiet.

marge still calls in to the bob and tom show,time to time.

poppie Guest
    Marge was quite a gal; she added a lot of color to the Cincy ball team. The big dog - Schottzie - went everywhere with her. One time Pete Rose was visiting her in her home and the dog slobbered/drooled on Pete. If you ever had a St Bernard, you know how nasty that slobber can be. Pete complained about the mess. Marge reminded Pete he was just visiting; the dog lived there.

Marge Schott was a bigger than life character. We still miss her.

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    [SIZE=6]Marge Schott[/SIZE]

AKA Margaret Unnewehr

Born: 18-Aug-1928
    Birthplace: Cincinnati, OH
    Died: 2-Mar-2004
    Location of death: Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, OH
    Cause of death: Emphysema

Race or Ethnicity: White
    Sexual orientation: Straight
    Party Affiliation: Republican
    Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: Owner, Cincinnati Reds
    Father: Edward Unnewehr
    Mother: Charlotte
    Husband: Charles J. Schott (m. 23-Sep-1952, d. 19-Feb-1968, heart attack)

General Motors Dealer
    Boy Scouts of America Dan Beard Council, $1M donation (2000)
    Risk Factors: Smoking
    [SIZE=-2]SPORTS FRANCHISE HISTORY[/SIZE]
    Cincinnati Reds Owner, 1984-99

Schott kept a low profile after she ended years of turmoil by selling her controlling interest in the club in October 1999. She appeared at news conferences when she made donations to the zoo and other local organizations.
    She loved to mingle with fans and gave generously to charitable causes, but got in trouble because she couldn't watch her words. She reportedly used racial slurs to describe her players and repeatedly praised Hitler despite admonitions to keep quiet.

I live in Cincinnati and I can tell you first hand that she was a drunk. In 1992, I was in Christ Hospital and her sister was a patient there, too. The sister actually had me call Marge at her home phone to ask her to bring something to the hospital.!!

CCB72 Guest
    I was a Reds fan when I was little but couldnt stand her. She was a creton and ruined that ballclub. They could have won a heckuva lot more games if she wasnt the owner....

Kathyf Guest
    I forgot she died. Nice that a woman owned a team and seemed to love it.

Jazbabee Guest
    all I remember is hearing stories about her that were none too flattering

GODDESS6 Guest
    she was caught calling her players high-priced N-word's~

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    she was caught calling her players high-priced N-word's~
    I seem to remember that! Yes, she could be a real bitch at times, but other times, probably when she had a few, she was as sweet as pie.

Years ago for Christmas I received a book about Coney Island. Cincinatti's Coney Island that is. According to the book, the amusement park was run by the Schott family of Cincinatti. I wonder if that family had any connection to Marge?

If Marge was racist then so was Coney Island. They didn't allow Blacks to ride the rides nor allow them to use their pool until in the early 60s and only because they were forced too.

BTW..Coney Island is famous for the bing the amusement park that was used in the opening of the old Banana Splits show.e

RigorMortis Guest
    I think she had good intentions. Growing up in a Redlegs loving family I am familiar. I just think the older she got the more the booze did the talking. While they went downhill with her ownership no one can dispute her love for the Reds.

I'm sure that she's calling the shots in heaven! Egad!

I LOVE your avatar, RigorMortis!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    I live in Cincinnati and I can tell you first hand that she was a drunk. In 1992, I was in Christ Hospital and her sister was a patient there, too. The sister actually had me call Marge at her home phone to ask her to bring something to the hospital.!!
    Well, no surprise there. Aren't most colorful people drunks? They need their "medicine".

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    Well, no surprise there. Aren't most colorful people drunks? They need their "medicine".
    Cincinnati was the epicenter for tool anddie and maching equipment. Her Dad owned one of the major companies that produced the lathes , milling machines etc. During WWII they made a ton of money, earned honorably for sure.
    They also owned Coney Island, the largest amusement park near Cincinnati. They always had the rap as being racist. They had suits for hiring practices at the tool and die plan, they did not admit nonwhite patrons at the amusement park until the late 60s and only then by court order. For a few years they tried to get away with with having a "negro" day at the part when it was actually closed to white patrons.
    She had a rap for being racially insensative as a ballclub owner but I think it was more that she was politically incorrect and a product of her generation.
    I liked Marge! I was a big Red Machine fan but was gone by the Schott era.
    regards,
    Mary

tarsier Guest
    I liked Marge; no doubt she could be a royal bitch and was certainly not a business woman but I'm no baseball fan so I liked her "style" and was saddened by her passing in an end of an era way.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    I liked Marge; no doubt she could be a royal bitch and was certainly not a business woman but I'm no baseball fan so I liked her "style" and was saddened by her passing in an end of an era way.
    I would disagree about her not being a business woman. She was not a good club owner by modern standards. She certainly was a throw back to the old family era fiefdom ownerships.
    The Yawkey's as Red Sock owners for example. They passed on both Jackie Robinson and Willie Mays because they said people would never pay to watch trained monkeys play baseball. The Red Socks were the last team to integrate because they were still under Yawkey ownership at the time.
    Marge was a fantastic business woman though. Her Dad had no sons and Marge stepped in to run LeBlond Machine Tools upon his death. he had raised her for the task and she was more than prepared. She grew it into a strong competitive company that is still around today. There was never any question that Marge was running the show. My employer was a customer of LeBlond when I lived in Cincinnati and I made a couple of visits to sign off on machine tools we purchased. The place was a real throwback looking plant like a Tudor and stone castle outside covered with Ivy and inside in the office area it was all heavy mahogany paneling. I remember Marge's office had a huge fireplace and a bar. The guy I was working with gave me a peek while she was out. It was impressive. Le Blond under her father was a leader in welfare actions for worker protection as opposed the the huge Cincinnati Milling Machine which was known as a man killing company to work for in the bad old days.
    Marge was colorful and bright and she had her eccentricities and faults and I miss colorful characters like her in the game.
    I was happy for the Giants last night but it lacked the pizazz of the old days.
    http://www.leblondusa.com/
    Regards,
    Mary