Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Titanic

Quote Originally Posted by steffie View Post
    Yes it's coming to Columbus,Ohio! I'm gonna take my kids. What exactly is the exhibit? Last time we went to an exhibit it was in Cincinnati, the "Body Exhibit", my 12 year old was not a happy camper =D

He probably won't be a happy camper with this one either. Basically the exhibit is artifacts in glass classes with lots of stories and information to read along the walls. No movies and flashy displays.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

steffie Guest
    Yea she'll hate it. We went to see the King Tut one though and she loved it. I still think I'll drag her to it, haha. She likes Cosi which is where it's gonna be. I'll take her through some other stuff when we get done =]

Sam Guest
    I would love to go back in a "Time Machine" and be on that ship!
    I seem to remember a TV series in the 60's where someone did just that in one episode.

Me, too, Sam.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I actually saw a Titanic exhibit like that about 12-13 years ago -- wondering if it's the same one. I went with my parents, and they gave everyone a ticket with the name of someone who was on the ship, and then at the end, you looked at the roster to see if your passenger survived or not. All of ours did, and I joked that they probably give every entrant to the exhibit a passenger who survived so no one would freak out. As I recall, it was pretty neat. It had a big piece of ice on display that you could touch and in the gift shop at the end, they were selling bits of authentic coal that was retrieved from the ship. I still have mine in a shadow box -- kinda neat.

ginasaurusrex Guest
    The exhibit in the Luxor in Vegas has a giant piece of the ship that was recovered, broken out port holes and the like, you can see the entire front and back and Luxor has custody of it until 2012 I believe.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    Titanic was what started the death hag in me! I
    Me, too, Hez (well, that and the Manson murders!)

My friend's stepmom's mother and aunt (whew!) were on the Titanic, and both survived. They were second class passengers; their names were Elsie and Ada Doling (or Dolling, can't remember). I've looked them up, and they are listed on passenger lists and lists of survivors. I wish I had been around to ask them about it! Then again, who knows if they'd have wanted to talk about it. They were traveling by themselves, and didn't lose any family in the tragedy.

I love the '97 movie, and for anyone who has the DVD, the historical commentary is fascinating! It's done by two Titanic historians, who wrote one of the large coffee-table books I have on the ship. Even it you didn't like the movie much, but are a history buff, you'll enjoy the commentary. It just adds a whole other dimension, about class structure of the time and aboard the ship, the actual events of the night, etc.

Shawver83 Guest
    I've seen the exhibit a couple of times, each time I 'survived' at the end. My husband drew the ticket with the captain's name on it, so he did not. On another, similar subject, my brother's crazy second wife picked the instrumental music from the Titanic movie to walk down the aisle to, and the marriage was over five months later!

jaylene Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawver83 View Post
    I've seen the exhibit a couple of times, each time I 'survived' at the end. My husband drew the ticket with the captain's name on it, so he did not. On another, similar subject, my brother's crazy second wife picked the instrumental music from the Titanic movie to walk down the aisle to, and the marriage was over five months later!
    Another Titanic casuality. Hope the next marriage she don't
    pick Sympathy for the Devil.

As a child, my Great Grandmother was supposed to be on the ship with her family, but my Great-great Grandfather stayed at the pub too long and they missed the ship. Unfortunately they exchanged their tickets for the next passage.
    The cruel, uneventful state
    of apathy releases me
    I value them but I won't cry every time one's wiped out

Sam Guest
    I'd say that was "fortunate".

princesslonely Guest
    I live in Tennessee, and they just opened a Titanic museum in Pigeon Forge.

http://www.titanicpigeonforge.com

I want to go so bad! I'm gonna try to talk my boyfriend into going since we will be up that way for my birthday tomorrow.

I've been fascinated with the Titanic very early on. Since 1st or 2nd grade. I used to watch all the TV specials, and rented the National Geographic special (the one where they found the ship) dozens of times. I used to have books and newspapers (the paper my dad got me; a replica of a paper printed on april 15; he talked to a woman that had been aboard the ship & bought it from her, I think is what he said)but both have been lost during time.

I remember getting my tonsils out in 3rd grade; my older cousin brought me a Titanic book; I was so excited!!

I used to think them getting artifacts from the ship was desecration, especially when I was younger. I think now it is preservation. They are just trying to preserve history for future generations.

GuiltyLittleDeathHag Guest
    Ooooh this is something I absolutely have to see one of these days...I think it's preservation...Just because it is a historical event and I don't feel it's meant to make any of the victims look ghoulish or to be exploitive of their deaths...It's more in rememberance...if they had freaky sideshow type stuff, then it would disturb me...Also it must be taken into consideration how long ago this was and that close friends and family of these people are mostly all gone now...

They had a criminal justice convention where they opened up the items to the public which had the rope that was around Sharon Tate's neck...now to me, that is tasteless; I wouldn't even wanna see that, I think I would throw up!! Doesn't look like anything is going on like that in this show...It is representing a historical tragedy in a dignified, reflective way.

Miri81 Guest
    I saw this in New York on my honeymoon last year. We basically ran into the exhibition and my hubby knows how much I am interested in anything Titanic, so he took me. I still have our boarding passes.

I finally found where I'd stored my boarding pass for the exhibit. The woman whose identity I was given was Miss Kate Buss, 36, of Sittingbourne, England.
    She traveled alone and had Second-Class lodging on E Deck. Buss was going to San Diego, CA to be married and she survived the sinking of Titanic.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I think I saw some such exhibit on the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach some years ago. Tea cups, china, silverware, some coal from the bunkers, and of course photographs. It was surreal.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

doyleloyal Guest
    I've seen the traveling exhibition and the museum in branson both were well worth visiting. I'm ok with them bringing up artifacts until they bring up clothes which I feel is the same as disturbing a grave. I saw a full dress with shoes and a man's suit and it disgusted me so much I had to leave for a bit. Thankfully now one can go down anymore to take anything or search inside the wreck b/c of the state it's in now. They're giving it another 5-8 years max b4 the bow will be completely caved in. The stern already has and it's been off limits for awhile.

Nobody ever feels sorry for the iceberg...

imadeathhag Guest
    I should go to the exhibit while its still in Harrisburg.

simon69 Guest

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 12:58 AM.

This is a great exhibit. I was able to see it twice. The first time was on the Queen Mary - now that was neat to have it in that location. In the bottom side of the boat they have different exhibits. This time they were hosting the Titanic artifacts. The perfectly preserved set of dishes that must have floated out of the boat in it's wooden cupboard, came to rest on the ocean floor and then disintegrated so the dishes were lined up neatly on the bottom.

Nicki Guest
    I saw the exhibit while it was here in the San Francisco Bay Area a few years back. Absolutely fascinating. One of the artifacts was a Watch. Can't remember who was wearing it when the ship went down( for some reasonI think it may have been a crew member)but it was so haunting to just know someone who was wearing it perished that night. I've seen the King Tut exhibit years ago but somehow this one was so much more Mezmerizing and Haunting then what was was displayed in the King Tut exhibit.

Ted Challinor Guest
    Anyone else here find it hysterical that the pigeonforge Titanic theme park has a 'renew your marriage vows' ?...'now dear, let's go and renew our future commitment to each other - at a place celebrating one of the worst disasters of the 20th century' ....Anyone going to see the $150,000 snow show ?!?! You Americans were always with taste... It reminds me of witty moment during the BEST Titanic film – which is of course A Night to Remember which goes like this:

Mrs. Margaret 'Molly' Brown: Leadville Johnny, they call him. And he was the best golderned gold miner in Colorado! Fifteen I was when I married him.
    First Class Passenger: Really?
    [in deep upper-class British accent]
    Mrs. Margaret 'Molly' Brown: Uh-hmm. And he didn't have a cent. Well, three months later later he struck it rich and we was millionaires. Do you know what he did?
    First Class Passenger: No?
    Mrs. Margaret 'Molly' Brown: He built me a house and he had silver dollars cemented all over the floors of every room!
    First Class Passenger: I say, how very tiresome for you!

A survivor's descendant is now claiming that human error caused the accident, and that it was covered up to avoid bankrupting the White Star Line.

Of course, that descendant has a book coming out...

Bidmor Guest
    Moments ago I came across the story on Yahoo. Interesting.

Bruce Ismay, White Star's chairman, has always been demonized for ordering Capt. Smith to cruise the ship at a speed much faster than Smith thought prudent which eventually led to Titanic not being able to turn earlier in order to miss the iceberg. Now we have Louise Patten, granddaughter of Titanic's second officer Charles Lightoller, stating that her grandfather eventually claimed Ismay also ordered Smith to continue running after the collision, presumably causing water to fill Titanic's bowls at a much faster rate than if she had come to a stop which Patten claims would have allowed Titanic to remain afloat until the Carpathia arrived. Patten also claims her grandfather said the steersman panicked and turned Titanic right instead of left due to Titanic's new and opposite steering system from the previous traditional ship steering system. Patten additionally claims her grandfather covered up these two pieces of information during the two official inquiries for fear of bankrupting White Star and putting his fellow sailors out of a job.

Certainly a plausible story and if true, I think the reason Lightoller committed his cover up was more likely pressure and/or physical threats originating from White Star or from higher up. But then again, Louise Patten has wrote a book.

After 100 years, Titanic still grabs our interest.

Opposite steering system? Doesn't sound right to me.

Besides, if the helmsman was on the bridge, he was not alone. You have the captain there (unless he is sleeping), the officer of the watch, bridge hands, port and starboard lookouts, navigator and maybe the officer of the day and GOD knows who else.

There is always a senior rating (usually a coxswain or a senior rating with a helmsman's certificate and a raft of experience) standing adjacent to the helmsman to supervise the helmsman at all times.

Then you have the proceedure. When ordered "hard 'a starboard" (for instance), you repeat the command back to the issuing officer to acknowledge and to ensure no stuff ups. If you even looked like countermanding the order or screwing it up the coxswain would be onto you straight away as well as anyone else in the vicinity.

I call bullshit.

As for steaming full ahead, even after hitting the berg, it would not have made much of a difference would it? Three or four huge watertight compartments were breached, that baby was going down. So if it took 90 minutes instead of 60 so what? Not enough liferafts and the rescue ship came hours later.

The result would have been the same.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Giada Guest
    A good read on the Titanic is a book written in the 50's, A Night to Remember by Walter Lord.

The vessel hard turned so the ice berg ran a cut nearly 2/3's of the length which compromised the watertight compartments.

Many interviews with survivor's, well researched.

GraveyardGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I will definitely go see it! The "Bodies" exhibition was here in Pgh for months and, asshat that I am, I missed it. I won't miss this one.
    I saw the "Bodies" exhibit when in was in NYC in May of 2008. It was fascinating!

Bidmor Guest
    nell, you must have sea water blood in your veins. You made me aware of some sailing SOP's which I did not stop to consider.

The opposite steering system I had in mind is addressed in this Telegraph article about Patten's book:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...ok-claims.html
    However, as I noted previously, Patten is selling her book and her claim is rather far fetched.

As for Titanic conspiracies, here's one which is new to me:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic...hat_Never_Sank
    Robin Gardner theorizes Titanic never sank...that a re-badged and previously damaged Olympic went down for an insurance scam and Titanic sailed another 25 years as Olympic. Factor in that JP Morgan and his International Mercantile Marine Co. bankrolled the construction of Titanic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic#Construction
    and that Morgan was scheduled to board Titanic but canceled at the last minute
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic#Maiden_voyage
    fuels such a conspiracy, makes for entertaining reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Challinor View Post
    Anyone else here find it hysterical that the pigeonforge Titanic theme park has a 'renew your marriage vows' ?...'now dear, let's go and renew our future commitment to each other - at a place celebrating one of the worst disasters of the 20th century' ....Anyone going to see the $150,000 snow show ?!?! You Americans were always with taste... It reminds me of witty moment during the BEST Titanic film â?? which is of course A Night to Remember which goes like this:

Mrs. Margaret 'Molly' Brown: Leadville Johnny, they call him. And he was the best golderned gold miner in Colorado! Fifteen I was when I married him.
    Mrs. Margaret 'Molly' Brown: Uh-hmm. And he didn't have a cent. Well, three months later later he struck it rich and we was millionaires. Do you know what he did?
    Mrs. Margaret 'Molly' Brown: He built me a house and he had silver dollars cemented all over the floors of every room!
    TED-
    1) I agree with you that A NIGHT TO REMEMBER was the best of the films about the tragedy of the TITANIC.
    2) When it comes to being tacky, tackless & having a lack of tack, we Americans can be difficult to surpass !
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

IIRC the film I saw at about age 14 or 15 was A Night to Remember. It was on in the evening and after it was over I went to dry dishes while mama washed and rinsed them. I said "That was the best movie--" And busted out crying. It was a very good movie.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

doyleloyal Guest
    I call bullshit on the "steering" issue as well. no matter if they turned right or left there's still HUUGGEE chunks of razor sharp ice under the water, it would've done just about the same amount of damage no matter which way it turned, the ship would've sunk anyways AND it takes a considerable amount of time for a ship to come to full stop seeing as it's been runnin along at full speed the entire time. It's just another person trying to market on Titanic. LEAVE TITANIC ALONE!!!!

Yes it was. I've seen the exhibit at the RMS Queen Mary. I had mixed feelings. One, a feeling of wonder and awe seeing these beautiful artifacts. The other, sadness that so many people died needlessly.

Just to clarify: In those days, hard to port meant that you were actually turning the ship to the right, which was confusing, at best. From what I've read, the Titanic would have been better off just to hit the mutha of all icebergs HEAD ON. That way a few of her compartments might have been breached, but she would've stayed afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    nell, you must have sea water blood in your veins. You made me aware of some sailing SOP's which I did not stop to consider.
    I got training for a helmsman's certificate whilst serving as a cook on the HMAS Vampire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pianca Guest
    I just saw it in CT and was fascinated. My son is 6 and is very interested in The Titanic, so I brought him along. Out of everyone with us, he was the only "survivor". The rest of us died. It was so sad and interesting to see everything and read the information. We live near Dr Ballard, so we understand his side, leaving everything there in memory of those who lost their lives. However, we couldnt help but be fascinated by everything we saw there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianca View Post
    I just saw it in CT and was fascinated. My son is 6 and is very interested in The Titanic, so I brought him along. Out of everyone with us, he was the only "survivor". The rest of us died. It was so sad and interesting to see everything and read the information. We live near Dr Ballard, so we understand his side, leaving everything there in memory of those who lost their lives. However, we couldnt help but be fascinated by everything we saw there.
    That is so cute! My boy is the same way - he is 11 now but has had a fascination with it for along time. Long for a kid anyways. We have about 8 books on the subject - Ballard's book, and a awesome pop-up book too, among others. I love the topic too so he comes by it naturally.

simon69 Guest

stranger_than_strange Guest
    Thanks for sharing Simon. I wonder if the 5 pounds was really blood money? A very interesting read from a perspective I'd never heard of.

MrsE1981 Guest
    I didn't get to go to the exhibit in the Luxor when I was in Vegas earlier this year, there is no way I'm going to miss it when I go back in February! Why would anyone want to go on the Titanic Memorial Cruise in 2012 though? Each to their own I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by MrsE1981 View Post
    I didn't get to go to the exhibit in the Luxor when I was in Vegas earlier this year, there is no way I'm going to miss it when I go back in February! Why would anyone want to go on the Titanic Memorial Cruise in 2012 though? Each to their own I guess...

Hope they do a lifeboat drill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Hez Guest
    Charles Lightoller's account of what he went through that night is unreal! As the surviving Senior Officer he was hauled over the coals at the inquest too. It amazed me to read that as soon as the ship sank, the crew stopped being paid their wages.

I have a book called Titanic Voices and it's about the families of the people who went down with the Titanic and how they were treated after the disaster. There was no welfare state in those days, many families were destitute as the main bread winners had been killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Challinor View Post

Interesting aside No 1:

When Gus Grissom was made pilot of the first manned Gemini flight, he wanted to name the spacecraft 'Molly Brown' after the stage play running at the time (as well as the interesting link to the misshap when he was being recovered from the Mercury capsule 'Liberty Bell'). The nabobs at NASA thought he was taking the piss, so the asked him for an alternative. "Sure" he said, "How about The Titanic?" He got Molly Brown and NASA suspended the naming of the spacecraft for the rest of the Gemini Program.

Interesting aside No 2:

Jim McDivitt was the pilot of the next Gemini flight. He had wanted to name it 'American Eagle', but that got poo-pooed. So in order to personalise the mission, he asked for the American flag to be sewn on his flight suit. This tradition is carried on to this day.

'Pete' Conrad decided the best way he could personalise his mission was to wear a mission patch (which NASA call 'Cooper Patches'). His mission was originally to be seven days, but since the previous mission went so well, they upped it to eight. So 'Pete' designed a patch with a Conestoga wagon and the tag line 'Eight days or bust'. NASA management went nuts over the tag (What if they didn't last eight days up there? Also they were worried how it would translate into other languages). So the tag got dropped from the patch. Mission patches are of course another tradition which carries on to this day.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 10-04-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why would anyone want to go on the Titanic Memorial Cruise in 2012 though?
    My 16 year old son said that he would have loved to have gone, but, darn it, he'd already bought his ticket for the Hindenberg flight.

Lisamarie Guest
    I dont think its disrespectful to display clothing or jewlery...I think its good we see and remeber these where people just like you and I , they got up that morning put on their cloths and died within the night... I wouldent mind them displaying my cloths I wore the day I died..it would make me feel like I was not forgotten.. I rather people see the real thing then that awful movie no offence to anyone but I hated it. A night to remeber is great. But I dont think its like grave robbing at all..and perhaps I know had it been me I rather have people seeing my things than having them rotting in the pitch blackness of the freezing ocean. Thats just me though.

doyleloyal Guest
    I've pretty much always taken Robert Ballard's side, it's a gravesite and should be treated as such.thankfully soon it'll cave in and be gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    I dont think its disrespectful to display clothing or jewlery...I think its good we see and remeber these where people just like you and I , they got up that morning put on their cloths and died within the night... I wouldent mind them displaying my cloths I wore the day I died..it would make me feel like I was not forgotten.. I rather people see the real thing then that awful movie no offence to anyone but I hated it. A night to remeber is great. But I dont think its like grave robbing at all..and perhaps I know had it been me I rather have people seeing my things than having them rotting in the pitch blackness of the freezing ocean. Thats just me though.
    No it's not.

Mulvaness Guest
    I don't know if this site has been posted yet or not but, this has a passenger list and has biographies on each passenger.
    http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org...assenger_list/