Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Titanic

Would so love to look at the Dublin Titanic exhibition
    just to see what they have.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Canada issues stamps to mark 1912 disaster - nice touch

http://www.canada.com/news/Titanic+a...578/story.html
    Last edited by cash; 03-20-2012 at 06:55 PM.

We have a neighborhood of big, historical, Victorian houses known as Astor Park. It was a part of town that, back in the day, was going to be called the town of Astor. All named after Johann Jacob Astor (the second I believe) . John Jacob Astor IV is of Titanic fame

Also, Dr. William Edward Minahan died on the Titanic and is buried right here in humble little Green Bay, WI.
    http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org...d-minahan.html

I would also like to mention that in the '97 movie Jack mentions to Rose while she is preparing to jump that he used to go ice fishing on Lake Wissota in Chippewa Falls, WI. Lake Wissota is actually a reservoir that was formed by a dam which wasn't constructed until 3 years after Titanic sank.....
    Last edited by SassyMonkey719; 03-20-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

Yay, Wisconsin! I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I am absolutely enthralled with anything related to Titanic and other ships/shipwrecks, boats, etc. I'm so glad I found it. I totally just ordered a Titanic Haynes Manual that will look hilarious with all of my car manuals, lol.

Holla! lmao... where are you from?
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

If you watch Titanic backwards, it is about a magical ship that saves people!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

TheMysterian Guest
    Forgotten journal reveals how man survived 1912 disaster

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz1rRbMYEBn

Titanic: the TV mini series airs beginning Saturday night, April 14, 2012. I'm not sure when the second part comes on. Hope it's good. I did watch the Jack Dawson version but could only take it once. Hubs has watched it numerous times.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I loved the movie but I don't know about 3D.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMonkey719 View Post
    Holla! lmao... where are you from?
    Lol sorry I missed this. Stevens Point!

I love my Titanic Haynes manual lol. Room mate also got me some documentary thing and another book. I'm stoked. I also went to see the movie the day it was re-released. Ahhh it was so cool seeing the ship that large again =P.

DonnaMc Guest
    I don't know what I did to find this, but thought it was pretty good in an "LOL" kinda way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPcFp14I_M&feature=pyv

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post
    I don't know what I did to find this, but thought it was pretty good in an "LOL" kinda way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPcFp14I_M&feature=pyv
    LMAO!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

We went to the 3D version. It was neat to see it on the big screen again but the 3D adds nothing to it. I kinda felt like they were stealing my money. They should have just re-released it again and left the 3D off.

CORONERGAL Guest
    I like the movie because of how Cameron really showed the amount of lives lost. I remember watching a very old version from, I think, the 30' or 40's and thinking "That wasn't so bad.". With the '97 version, seeing all the bodies in the water really hit a nerve with me, even though I knew they were actors. And I still tear up at the part where the mother is describing heaven to her children. That just flattens me.
    Last edited by CORONERGAL; 04-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.

http://youtu.be/dJxj1mou03M

I should mention that I love the movie. I could have done without the 3D as well but it was great to see it on the big screen again!
    Last edited by snowblindburd; 04-08-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Forever-27 Guest
    Coronorgal the black and white version is from 1954 I think. Has barbara stanwick in it. I saw about 20 minutes of the 97 remake and it was too painful to watch. To start according to surviving passengers the flares the ship sent up were all different colors except white, the ship after snapping in half the stern in particular never went straight up. It was always listing and went under at an angle. The ship didn't go straight down as the film leads you to think. It went down at an angle so people didn't just slide off the decks as the film shows. , it sank the two miles down at a spirow, pieces of the ship all snapping off as it went to the bottom. Hence the mile long debris field. But its hollywood after all. It is what it is.. I didn't watch the whole movie and don't plan on seeing the 3d version. its sad since bob balllard had a say in the 1997 remake. He found the wreck 25 years ago. None of the people that survived are alive today. Walter Lords book " A night to remember " is probably the very best and most accurate account of the final hours of the ship. Its a great read.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 04-08-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    If you watch Titanic backwards, it is about a magical ship that saves people!
    Any idea why they didn't load passengers for whom lifeboats were not available on to the iceberg itself? Surely it could have served as a giant liferaft for at least a few.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxster View Post
    Any idea why they didn't load passengers for whom lifeboats were not available on to the iceberg itself? Surely it could have served as a giant liferaft for at least a few.
    I conjecture that the iceberg was now behind the ship and moving faster than the ship itself, especially since the ship would have had to reverse course to catch up to it.

Moreover, have you ever tried to sit on an iceberg? Some of them have a lot of pointy bits. Actually, I'm not sure what would be worse, the pointy bits or the smooth slippery ones.

It wasn't all bad - just think of all the Germans who finally learned what "Eisberg" means in English!

I can't believe what I read when Titanic was released in 97 Cameron got alot of grief from astronomy eggheads saying that at the point and time Titanic sunk the stars in the sky were in the wrong position. To shut them up he edited that part of the movie to show the proper location to satisfy the eggheads with the re release.
    Last edited by Jerseysucks; 04-10-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Were the 3D parts just kinda meh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

carrieanne Guest
    Another thing they might have done was try to throw a lot of big furniture into the water - might have made life rafts for some people who were eventually in the water. They would have had to have been clear headed enough to do this before the life boats were lowered though - couldn't have the furniture hitting the lifeboats! I actually saw this suggestion as part of an elementary school project to brainstorm ways that might have helped more people survive the sinking of the Titanic.

Because there was panicked pandemonium and so no one thought of trying it?

The particles in the water come right at you and the water rushes at you. But the rest of it doesn't really matter. It's a bit pointless.

If you love the movie then it's worth it to just to see it on the big screen again, but if you want the 3D I'd save my money.

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Titanic: the TV mini series airs beginning Saturday night, April 14, 2012. I'm not sure when the second part comes on. Hope it's good. I did watch the Jack Dawson version but could only take it once. Hubs has watched it numerous times.
    What channel?

Pooh-Bear Guest
    Please forgive the Pooh if this has been chatted about. There is such a wealth of information on this thread, and as much as I would like to read it all...I can't as I never know when the wacky machine will poop out...so if this is a repeat...ever so sorry.

In college I did a paper on the great ship, and found things that I had never learned from watching a movie on the loss of the monster ship. One major point that astounded me was the coal shortage that was a problem at the time. Newspapers were running stories on the Titanic long before she was near ready to sail. She was to be the most wonderful vessel to set to sea. She had every play toy on board to amuse the rich and famous. It sounded like just to gain passage on her would make you special. Oh and not only was she reported to be unsinkable, but even the finger of God could not bring her down....Really!!!

As the marvel of engineering was near to completion it was learned that there would not be enough coal to power her unless they took was was to be used by other ships. This meant she would sail, but they would not. Because of this there was a great shuffling of personal. Those that were to sail with the Titanic had their positions at the ready, but were bumped when those who were sailing on other now delayed vessels, were moved to the Titanic because they had seniority at sea. This caused a major riff between the hired and the newly replaced. In short, those whom kept a position on the Titanic were now at a lower rank and the upper crust in power were at a disadvantage. They didn't know the ship and those demoted were not to happy to share. This caused great confusion during an episode that no one believed could ever happen.

There are many reasons why the Titanic was doomed from the start. Man put too much faith in his ability.
    Disgruntled employees and new comers were at odds with each other. Time tables were very important and full speed ahead in an ice flow region at that time of year was just plain folly.

I enjoyed the most recent film on it's visual merit only. I did not find the love aspect to be any comfort at all. The Titanic was not a romantic heart warming tale, but a horror story minus a chain-saw monster. And like the Eagles once said....call some place paradise.....Kiss it good-bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    I conjecture that the iceberg was now behind the ship and moving faster than the ship itself, especially since the ship would have had to reverse course to catch up to it.

Moreover, have you ever tried to sit on an iceberg? Some of them have a lot of pointy bits. Actually, I'm not sure what would be worse, the pointy bits or the smooth slippery ones.
    It would beat dying of hypothermia in freezing water.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    From what I gather, the evacuation was orderly.

Sailing Day! 100 years ago today "Titanic" began her maiden voyage.
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

Katrinawitch Guest
    I've been fascinated with the Titanic since I was a teenager. I saw the movie three times in theaters when it was first released. I loved it, and even the love story aspect didn't bug me too much (Kate Winslet is a brilliant actress, the costumes were to die for, and Leo sure was purty to look at!), but the actual sinking, the historical aspect of it all, and how much James Cameron researched it and made sure the technical aspects were as correct as could be, were what made the movie for me.

I saw a fascinating show last night with Cameron and various historians, experts, technical folks, etc., on the forensic aspect of the ship's sinking. They examined the wreck site and pretty much worked backwards. There were a ton of interesting facts about how, where, and why the ship landed on the bottom of the ocean where it did (2-1/2 miles down... that fact alone freaks me out!), how and where it split apart, how the two sections of the ship sank to the ocean floor, why the stern section was basically like a plane crash site (debris everywhere and in strange places). The ended up re-doing the 1997 animation used in the movie, using the new facts, and showed it at the end. Fascinating!

They also discussed, if they were Captain Smith, what would they have done to try and save more people. Unloading them onto the iceberg, driving the ship to the field ice a few miles away, and driving the ship to the unknown but seen nearby ship (thought to be The Californian) were all options discussed.

Forever-27 Guest
    What was always odd to me was seeing the debris field, whole uncorked wine bottles are on the ocean floor. The preasure in the ocean that far down is sum 40,000 pounds per inch. Enough to crush anything. By some freak of nature wine bottles survived.

Titanic Centennial cruise taking same route at original delayed at sea due to 30 ft waves.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...ong-winds?lite
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.

I don't know if you guys read this website/newsletter at all, but it's one of my favorites, here's the latest: http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titan...n_voyage.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I never thought about it. But for some reason I always get an image of an iceberg taller than the ship. Maybe that's how it's portrayed in movies. But I don't see how it could have been that tall and not be seen in time to avoid the collision.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

From what I gather, the evacuation was orderly.
    For those in first class.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujicakes View Post
    What channel?
    ABC, Saturday, April 14 and Sunday April 15, 9pm EST.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

carrieanne Guest
    James Cameron is going to be on "Good Morning America" tomorrow, and according to this, you can submit a question for James Cameron about the sinking of the Titanic, and your question might get picked! However, you have a week to submit the question, and the interview is tomorrow, so I don't think the winning question will be answered tomorrow. A link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0110953AAdz5MP
    Last edited by carrieanne; 04-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.

There are some specials about it on PBS tonight (probably in a variety of markets is why I mention it): The Titanic, with Len Goodman and Saving the Titanic. Anyone else gonna be watching?

The James Cameron special on the National Geographic channel was really good.

At the time of the sinking, several of the survivors described the Titanic breaking into two pieces, but the "experts" insisted they were all mistaken. The unsinkable ship could never have broken apart.

The RMS Titanic Inc - Director of Research, Bill Sauder, really choked up when talking about a perfume bottle they found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWCnZk4sFRE
    Last edited by TheWrath of MadelineKahn; 04-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Decades ago I took my wife and 2 kids to Atlantic City to the Tropicana Hotel for a Titanic Exhibit. They had quite a few artifacts including a piece of the actual ship on a tent off the boardwalk. Inside the room it was in it had so many things, it had a model of what Titanic looks like at the bottom, they had a wall of ice the usual stuff.
    The very last part of the exhibit or towards the end was a childs broken marble. To me that was the most powerful image because it brought it all together and I almost lost it. I feel stupid but I got totally choked up.

This is amusing because I was into the Titantic 25 years ago, when Robert Ballard first spotted the wreck, and long before that. Watching the "Robert Ballard Special" these past couple of days has been a groaner. Expansion joints is why the ship broke apart.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

So - and not to be too flippant - what is the correct greeting 4/15 -- Happy Titanic Day? What were you doing 100 years ago today?

"Remember Titanic", maybe? Or something along those lines seems to me to be more appropriate.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seurtoFW View Post
    So - and not to be too flippant - what is the correct greeting 4/15 -- Happy Titanic Day? What were you doing 100 years ago today?
    Maybe "Bon Voyage"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5le92UmPmU

Don't know how good the quality is on this but is a live version of Harry Chapin singing his song Dance Band on the Titanic.

Forever-27 Guest
    Its sort of the humanity that strikes me most. Minnie Coorse who was in 2nd class en route to Detroit , in the final moments got life jackets for her two kids but couldn't find one for herself. Frantically found a crew member and told him there were no more life jackets to be found. The crew member took off his life jacket and gave it to her. As she thanked her for the jacket, his only reply to her was " remember me " , she assuemed he died in the wreck since he was never sen again, but it wasn't until she and her kids were in the lifeboat watching the ship take the big plunge that the gravity of the true gravity of the gesture set in. She never got the guys name.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5le92UmPmU

Don't know how good the quality is on this but is a live version of Harry Chapin singing his song Dance Band on the Titanic.
    That's perfect.

I never knew that Harry appeared on Rockpalast (it's a German TV program).

I used to have a red shirt like the one Big John is wearing in that video.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realization1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	41917
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

^ No effing way. That's just sad.

Not really.

Although I did hear some teenagers in the ladies room after Romeo and Juliet commenting about how surprised they were that the two died. Really??