Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me figure out this book and author please!

ST Moron Guest

Help me figure out this book and author please!

The reason I ask is that there's a short story I'm trying to identify.

The story is about a guy who visits another guy and tells him everything about a society of people (which he himself belongs to) who pool their efforts and all together hate one person till this person dies as a result of all the hating. Ring any bells?

(I apologize for the story description being so vague, but I'm afraid it comes from a third party.)

You have to admit it's a pretty intrguing premise, especially for death hags. Anyone care to take a stab at the name of the story?

RaRaRamona Guest

Help me figure out this book and author please!

I read a collection of short stories in high school that scared me so I remember throwing the book across the room - a few times.

I can't find it again & I've searched the phrases I remember best.

One story is about a small quiet town (of course, right?) & there is a sinister someone on the loose. The radio announces warnings to stay inside at night & I think there are flyers about town. Of course a lone girl gets caught out too late one night...she was at the movies maybe? I forget. I also forget the rest of the story.

Another story had something to do with a small boy & something horrible locked in a cabinet under a window seat or liquor cabinet or something...

This is killing me!

djdeath-hag Guest
    I wish that I could help you out RaRa.....and that I could get my hands on the book you've described.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I wish that I could help you out RaRa.....and that I could get my hands on the book you've described.
    Yes, it's very good...or so I recall.

God, now I'm scared. Thanks.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

itsintheeyes Guest
    age group?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by itsintheeyes View Post
    age group?
    uuummmmmmmm....

What are some of the lines you remember? It sounds vaguely familiar but I've read a zillion books so they blob together over time.
    How frustrating! I hope you figure it out!

fiction or non-fiction?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Fiction

That's all I've been able to remember.

I don't have time to go through all the descriptions at the moment, but could it have been one of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series? The individual stories are all listed on the page I linked. Alvin Schwartz was one of my favorite authors when I was a little kid, and that series is worth reading even as an adult.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't have time to go through all the descriptions at the moment, but could it have been one of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series? The individual stories are all listed on the page I linked. Alvin Schwartz was one of my favorite authors when I was a little kid, and that series is worth reading even as an adult.
    That's not it either. I am so finding those now though. Thanks!

firegilnotguns Guest
    Man, I threw those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books across the room. I remember the covers even now and how I used to hide them under the bed in my brother's room because I couldn't stand having them in mine (even after I'd already read them!)

OBX Guest
    See, this is one of those threads where you can lose 30-45 minutes easily. I keep searching on the web and getting lost into things. I just a read a ton about the Creepshow movie, because I knew it had that Crate story in it. But nothing about a little boy.

Katrinawitch Guest
    The stories don't sound familiar, but my situation is similar to yours. My scary short-story book had one story about a wad of gum that wouldn't let it's owner stop chewing it (?!), and another story about a boy who was pretending that the multi-colored carpet in his living room was snakes and some other horrible thing, and they end up coming to life.

I never remembered the names of the stories, but I always remembered part of the last line of the boy's story, "behind the house, a mother was looking for her son". I was able to find the story once, via putting that sentence into google. Creepy!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrinawitch View Post
    The stories don't sound familiar, but my situation is similar to yours. My scary short-story book had one story about a wad of gum that wouldn't let it's owner stop chewing it (?!), and another story about a boy who was pretending that the multi-colored carpet in his living room was snakes and some other horrible thing, and they end up coming to life.

I never remembered the names of the stories, but I always remembered part of the last line of the boy's story, "behind the house, a mother was looking for her son". I was able to find the story once, via putting that sentence into google. Creepy!
    That does sound creepy.

cherryghost Guest
    The horror stories by Guy de Maupassant and Edgar Allen Poe had that lingering quality of fear for me! I dont know what I was doing reading that stuff when I was about 13 but they were books in our house and I sure as hell got them!
    Being buried alive and dead hands that come alive to strangle are unforgettable scenario's.

One of those stories reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode does anyone know where Rod Serling got those stories from were they just randomly gathered?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I read a collection of short stories in high school that scared me so I remember throwing the book across the room - a few times.

One story is about a small quiet town (of course, right?) & there is a sinister someone on the loose. The radio announces warnings to stay inside at night & I think there are flyers about town. Of course a lone girl gets caught out too late one night...she was at the movies maybe? I forget. I also forget the rest of the story.

Another story had something to do with a small boy & something horrible locked in a cabinet under a window seat or liquor cabinet or something...

This is killing me!
    I've read this. I remember both stories. But that's as far as it goes.
    I was thinking Flannery O'Connor but I checked my books and couldn't find anything (she did write some stuff somewhat similar to this--more southern gothic though). But please do tell when you find out...

You can slap me now. Ouch.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Ggggrrr Jack!

Oh I feel like it was a male author. I thought Bradbury at first but now I don't think so. This is awful!

RaRa, can you give us a time frame (without outing your age if you don't want to)? Are we talking stories you read as a kid in the 70's (in which case I might have read them too) or 80's (in which case I probably haven't). And do you remember if they were old stories when you read them, or new?

I was thinking about this and remembered a story I read as a 5th grader. It was written by Asimov, I think. I've been trying to find it too, but I don't know how old the story was when I read it, even.

So if you can think of a general time frame when you think it might have been written, that might narrow things down a bit.

kitty

RaRaRamona Guest
    Well I read the book in the 90's, but I got it at the library & it was an old book.

pattykad Guest

Help with true crime book title....Texas hags?

I read a great book once about a guy, I believe in Texas, who was
    one of the founders of a large health spa chain....was it European
    Health spas? Anyway, he marries this women and they are all
    hot and heavy for each other....eventually it goes sour and he has
    her shot, but she lives and is paralized. And if I remember, he tries
    to have her killed again. It was a really good read and I'd like to
    tell a friend that I've turned on to true crime, if I can only remember
    the name and the people involved. I thought it was something like
    Dead by Sunrise but I've not located that one.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Sleeping With the Devil?

RaRaRamona Guest

pattykad Guest
    Thank You!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Aw you're welcome.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Bump

I still can't figure it out. I have combed the libraries, Amazon, google...

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crescentia View Post
    I think they are short stories by Robert Bloch. I remember reading them!!!!!!!!

Here. I think these are what I read:
    The Complete Stories of Robert Bloch: Volume 1: Final Reckonings (1987)
    The Complete Stories of Robert Bloch: Volume 2: Bitter Ends (1987)
    The Complete Stories of Robert Bloch: Volume 3: Last Rites (1987)
    I am so excited!! That actually makes sense - I'll try them next, thanks!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Could it be any of the R.L Stine books.... Like his Fear Street series

or the Goosebumps series
    Nah this book was very old & smelly - you know what I mean? It had a threadbare hardback binding. It was old. And the writing was...old too, if that makes sense. Not in a modern cadence, I guess.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    What particular year was this? Do you remember the genre? Any other stories from the book come to mind? Can you describe the cover? Was it one author or several? Do you perchance remember the copyright date or publisher?
    Maybe sci fi? Creepy story genre? I only remember the two stories. There were more though.

Was it from the "Night Visions" anthologies?
    Ha! I typed anthoogies at first.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I'll have to look into that...

Maybe it was the anthology Psych Paths edited by Robert Bloch?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I like Robert Bloch but it's not him.

jaylene Guest
    I found this website and for $2 you can Stump the
    bookseller. Looks like they might be able to help you.
    You can check it out and see if you want to submit
    what you know and they might know the book. Here is the link.
    Good luck!
    http://www.loganberrybooks.com/stump.html

RaRaRamona Guest
    That sounds awesome! Thanks!

Bump

I still can't figure it out. I have combed the libraries, Amazon, google...

Any chance it's Algernon Blackwood? I had a book of his stories and these ring a faint bell. There was a story called "Thus I Refute Beelzy" that scared the crap outta me.

Creepy!

Gorey Guest
    Sorry guys, I really don't read fiction. If you ask about true crime, historical, historical biographical or short horror stories, I'm your girl. I have about 2000 books in the house right now and most of them are read.

jaylene Guest
    That sounds awesome! Thanks!
    No problem. Keep us updated on if you find it.

oops!

I meant August Derleth!!!!

amc Guest

Smile

This is killing me!
    Hi,
    I know you wrote that you don't think it's Ray Bradbury, but the first story sounds like Bradbury's story called "The Whole Town's Sleeping." It's about a girl who goes to the movies with some of her friends while the whole town is in a panic because a serial killer is on the loose. I think the killer strangles people. I did a search and found it in a book called "Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories for Late at Night." This book of short stories was first released in the Sixties. I'm not sure if the second story is in there, but this anthology has a short story called "The Cocoon" by John B.L. Goodwin. From a vague description I read on the internet, it's about a little boy who is obsessed with butterflies. He finds a moth and keeps it in his room where it actually grows into a mutant. I know I'm reaching with that one, but I tried. I hope this might help.
    Anne Marie

Quote Originally Posted by amc View Post
    Hi,
    I know you wrote that you don't think it's Ray Bradbury, but the first story sounds like Bradbury's story called "The Whole Town's Sleeping." It's about a girl who goes to the movies with some of her friends while the whole town is in a panic because a serial killer is on the loose. I think the killer strangles people. I did a search and found it in a book called "Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories for Late at Night." This book of short stories was first released in the Sixties. I'm not sure if the second story is in there, but this anthology has a short story called "The Cocoon" by John B.L. Goodwin. From a vague description I read on the internet, it's about a little boy who is obsessed with butterflies. He finds a moth and keeps it in his room where it actually grows into a mutant. I know I'm reaching with that one, but I tried. I hope this might help.
    Anne Marie
    Now that you mention Ray Bradbury the second story RaRa mentioned reminds me of a Bradbury short story about a little boy wose mom runs a boarding house finds strange colored pieces of glass in one of the boarders room and which leads him to discovering the boarder is a vampire or something like that.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amc View Post
    Hi,
    Anne Marie

That could be! I read it online just now & the one thing I remember most was missing - the part about the notices on the windows of the stores. I have tried to search for books that would include that story but have only found one.

Thank you! I will keep looking.

RaRa, the book you're describing sounds like a book I had to read in 6th grade. It had a workbook to go along with it. I found the workbook last year when visiting my parents--it's called "Imagination-The World of Inner Space". It's from Scholastic Book Services and is originally from 1970 (I read it in the early 80's).

I remember the book had a lot of creepy stories. Some of the story titles were "The Thing in the Cellar" "The Monkey's Paw" and "The Interlopers". Wish I had the original book and not just the workbook.

Was it a collection by one person or of different authors?

This is killing me!
    What phrases do you remember best?

grrrr...
    I spend an evening every few months obsessively searching for this. Thanks Rara.

Nelliebean Guest
    "The Monkey's Paw " freaked me out when I read it years ago.

Clark Ashton Smith's stories wigged me out when I was younger.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Thanks guys. Were any of these stories in the book that RaRa was looking for?