Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Soccer

Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    Gee, I wonder if Portugal won?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

knothere Guest
    funny u ask niel

funny u ask niel
    Just a hunch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    I would just like to say that I have never liked, and will never like Ronaldo. Jumped up, arrogant little twat, who, when he played for Man Ure, I weekly wished broken legs on.

[/rant]

NineTails20 Guest
    YAHOOO!!

Spain 2 - Honduras 0, both goals scored by David Villa.

Fujicakes Guest
    I'm surprised Villa didn't get kicked off the field after smacking Izaguirre in the face.

Mr. Jangles has had his eyeballs almost constantly glued to the TV since the World Cup games began.

He thinks that Spain or Brazil will win the cup.

I woke up this morning, and heard the morning guy on our local talk radio station chirp, "Only seventy-five minutes into the game, and it's Portugal 4 over North Korea!"

I am not much of a sports watcher, but I did watch some of the Chile/Switzerland match. I saw the Swiss player get a red card for being aggressive towards a Chilean player.

Is anyone gambling on any of these matches? Mr. Jangles won $113.00 on a local sports lottery the other day. "Free" beer!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I hate those buzzing horns...
    Last edited by Jangles; 06-21-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Sooth Africa 2, France 1.

Retribution for the French squad will be swift and punitive when they get home I think. They are seen as pure dirt by their public and I think most of them will be lucky to don 'les blue' again. Time to wipe the slate and start from scratch.

The French keeper was superb. I would like to see him out there again.

What was it with the French coach refusing to shake the hand of the South African coach at the end of the game? What an asshole. You get an insight why the team was pissed off with him.

Hats off to South Africa, they really took it to France and did themselves proud.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-22-2010 at 09:24 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

knothere Guest
    i predict portugal will beet brazil ftw

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    Greece-Argentina looking pretty good, so far. Even has me on the edge of my seat.

NineTails20 Guest
    HA! So glad the French got twatted today, the cheaters deserved it.

Au Revoir team France.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

England and USA through to the final 16
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dying Breath Guest
    Guy at work was watching the USA game today....streaming... and cussing all the way.. threw up his hands at the 90 min mark... cussing , saying how they had lost it, turned it off and went to lunch... still does not know they won : )

STsFirstmate Guest
    Viva Argentina!!!!!!
    If the US must lose an I suspect they will in spite of the great and lucky performance so far I am all about Argentina!
    regards,
    Mary

Jammy England! I knew they would win after the last two very bad games! I am now reading how wonderful they are after reading how bad they are, the press and fans are very fickle! Bring on the Germans!

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Viva Argentina!!!!!!
    If the US must lose an I suspect they will in spite of the great and lucky performance so far I am all about Argentina!
    regards,
    Mary
    Argentina was my pick from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Stone View Post
    Jammy England! I knew they would win after the last two very bad games! I am now reading how wonderful they are after reading how bad they are, the press and fans are very fickle! Bring on the Germans!
    I said England had the goods. Germany are not as good as everyone is making out.

I thought the USA did themselves proud yesterday.

Just watched Slovakia humble Italy. Thoroughly deserved their win. Personally I am enjoying the lesser favorites beating the arrogant Euro centric clubs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cant believe Italy have gone! This WC is turning out to be fun! Come on the Germans!

knothere Guest
    wft italy is slakin

knothere Guest
    wtf i guess slakin or not they z b on vacation

wtf i guess slakin or not they z b on vacation
    They be in biiiiiig trouble. Back home to an acrimonious press and a lynch mob public. They will take it just as bad as the French. Loves me a little drama.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pull up any YouTube video, and you’ll see a button in the bottom right corner that looks like a soccer ball. Click on it, and a vuvuzela will play during the video.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

To quote a post on a friend's wall on Facebook when said friend started making comments about vuvuzelas: www.vuvuzela.fm

Thanks for the reminder, Ich. Enjoy, guys.

English octopus oracle predicts German win

Disastrous news for England fans ahead of the crunch last-16 match with Germany Sunday: an octopus in Germany with a perfect track record of predicting World Cup matches has plumped for a German win.
    Two plastic boxes containing tasty morsels, one with a German flag and one with an England flag, were lowered into the tank that houses Paul the octopus at his home in Sea Life in Oberhausen, western Germany.
    Paul immediately climbed into the German box to a huge roar of approval from the crowd.

Earlier in the tournament, the mollusc medium correctly predicted Germany would beat Ghana and Australia in their group D matches and was also right to predict they would lose to Serbia.
    And the eight-legged oracle is also coming off a run of good form at major championships. He had an 80-percent record for Germany games at the European Championships.
    England fans have reason to feel somewhat betrayed by his latest prediction. Paul should by rights be an England supporter, having been born at Sea Life in Weymouth, on the south English coast.

http://www.smh.com.au/world-cup-2010...ml?autostart=1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Pull up any YouTube video, and youâ??ll see a button in the bottom right corner that looks like a soccer ball. Click on it, and a vuvuzela will play during the video.
    I don't see it Take a screenshot or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnorrischangestrains View Post
    To quote a post on a friend's wall on Facebook when said friend started making comments about vuvuzelas: www.vuvuzela.fm

Thanks for the reminder, Ich. Enjoy, guys.
    Adult Swim started doing that too during its in-between segments.

NineTails20 Guest
    I knew Spain would come good! 2-0! That first goal was amazingly lucky, though. Xabi Alonso would have been proud!

In about 3.5 hours the USA play Ghana and I think the USA will win it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vuvuzela!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vuvuzela-388x700.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	28527
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Vuvuzela!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vuvuzela-388x700.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	28527
    That is hilarious!!!!!!!
    I am still rooting for Argentina!
    We are heading over to the Argentine side of the family ( cousin's wife's parents) who are having a huge party and bought a massive plasma screen for the basement so we can watch Argentina and Mexico play.
    Those Argentines have a real gift with fire and meat so I am sure the food will be outstanding.
    I can almost taste the baked Empanadas already!
    Oh yeah and it will be great soccer!
    Regards,
    Mary

That is hilarious!!!!!!!
    I am still rooting for Argentina!
    We are heading over to the Argentine side of the family ( cousin's wife's parents) who are having a huge party and bought a massive plasma screen for the basement so we can watch Argentina and Mexico play.
    Those Argentines have a real gift with fire and meat so I am sure the food will be outstanding.
    I can almost taste the baked Empanadas already!
    Oh yeah and it will be great soccer!
    Regards,
    Mary
    Very jealous, wish I was there. Go Argentina!!!!!

Just watched Germany beat England 4-1. Germany totally outclassed them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very jealous, wish I was there. Go Argentina!!!!!

Just watched Germany beat England 4-1. Germany totally outclassed them.
    Germany were brilliant England just shite ...Rooney should have come off in the 1st half,

Think I have just Holland left of my picks

Well England didn't manage to take their heads out of their arses and paid badly for it. Would it have been a different game if it had been 2-2 going into half time? Maybe, but we played like utter shit and our defence was non existent. Germany's 3rd and 4th were both counters and if we were level we wouldn't have committed so many people forward, maybe a different story. I still think we would have lost though and deserved to have lost at that.

Today's team ratings out of 10; England 2, Germany 7.

In other news I reckon Rooney's been paid off. I'm sure there's been an exchange of money related to his poor form. He's a world class player yet did nothing of value for the whole time he played a part in the tournament.

That was a goal! The linesmen wasnt watching! I know I wasn't supporting England but they were robbed! Shame they played crap but come on, how would the linesmen miss that?

Messi looks very confident and dangerous.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Viva Argentina! 3 to 1 against Mexico!
    Everyone going nuts here in Queens at my cousin's house! Now the BBQ can begin!
    Regards,
    Mary

That was an awesome game. I have high hopes for the Germany-Argentina game now. Viva Argentina indeed.

Mary that BBQ sounds ace. Any tango dancing? (sorry, had to do that).

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrnorrischangestrains View Post
    That was an awesome game. I have high hopes for the Germany-Argentina game now. Viva Argentina indeed.

Mary that BBQ sounds ace. Any tango dancing? (sorry, had to do that).
    We just got back home and the party was still hopping and yes people did do the tango. The older folks always end up putting on music and dancing at some point.
    They made this skirt steak that is coated in olive oil and lightly salted and they get the grill wicked h0t but they manage to keep that thin steak fork tender. I have no idea how.
    They keep rubbing the wood grill (oak and hickory mix soaked in brandy. (gas is out of the question) with garlic baked in oil. They also have these sausage pinwheels that have fennel and basil that are outstanding. Then add rabbit and chicken to the mix. Fresh baked empandas with the oilve in the middle and dessert is big sword like skewers of whole pineapple rolled in raw Damara (sp) sugar and then roasted tender over the fire and flamed with brandy. Oh my God!!!
    I brought one of the few Latin things I can make Portuguese Kale soup with Linguica.
    What lovely gracious people my cousin's wife's family are! A lovely day and a great event! Germany and Argentina should be a real slug fest.
    Definitely ready for a nap!
    Regards,
    Mary

We just got back home and the party was still hopping and yes people did do the tango. The older folks always end up putting on music and dancing at some point.
    They made this skirt steak that is coated in olive oil and lightly salted and they get the grill wicked h0t but they manage to keep that thin steak fork tender. I have no idea how.
    They keep rubbing the wood grill (oak and hickory mix soaked in brandy. (gas is out of the question) with garlic baked in oil. They also have these sausage pinwheels that have fennel and basil that are outstanding. Then add rabbit and chicken to the mix. Fresh baked empandas with the oilve in the middle and dessert is big sword like skewers of whole pineapple rolled in raw Damara (sp) sugar and then roasted tender over the fire and flamed with brandy. Oh my God!!!
    I brought one of the few Latin things I can make Portuguese Kale soup with Linguica.
    What lovely gracious people my cousin's wife's family are! A lovely day and a great event! Germany and Argentina should be a real slug fest.
    Definitely ready for a nap!
    Regards,
    Mary
    You, my friend, have just brought back the sweetest memories ever. Thank you for that. I just really, really love the tango. They do it here, too but in a different way, like the sadness prevails over the passion, which isn't a bad thing (the music's much slower too, softer) but it's really popular here (though if you're under thirty, you'd sooner shoot yourself than admit to that, or so my friends tell me). I love both.

And good to know I won't be alone in rooting for Argentina. Most of my friends here seem to be rooting for Germany. I'm mentally running through my closet, picking out the white and blue items I might have in there. Gotta have something to wear for the game.

My absolute dream game would be Argentina-Brazil or Argentina-Uruguay. Can't make up my mind. Though Ghana-Uruguay ain't too shabby either.

And btw, wasn't Ghana meant to be the underdog? Love, how they got this far. You know, compared to some others . . .

May I say Messi is soooooooooooo dreamy! I do enjoy watching him play

Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post

In other news I reckon Rooney's been paid off. I'm sure there's been an exchange of money related to his poor form. He's a world class player yet did nothing of value for the whole time he played a part in the tournament.
    That is a big call mate.

BBC World Service always comes up with interesting alternative points of view.

The big argument is that there are not enough English players in the EPL. However, a commentator noted today that there are too many players in the EPL. His argument is that by the time the World Cup rolls around, the English players are totally knackered coming off the end of the EPL season. If a lot of them played in other leagues then they would be fresher. For instance, the Germans had a two month layoff before their World Cup campaign.

He also noted that if you looked really hard at the English squad, there are probably only four players in the squad that are really world class. There are a few in the squad who don't even rate. He rekons Rooney is buggered from the season past and he is carrying a lot of weight for a forward. He thinks the tactics are out of date and need freshening up.

Not all doom and gloom though. The youth World Cup is coming up and he thinks England has some outstanding prospects there. Maybe take a leaf out of Germany's book and rebuild with a youth orientated team?
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-28-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That is a big call mate.

BBC World Service always comes up with interesting alternative points of view.

The big argument is that there are not enough English players in the EPL. However, a commentator noted today that there are too many players in the EPL. His argument is that by the time the World Cup rolls around, the English players are totally knackered coming off the end of the EPL season. If a lot of them played in other leagues then they would be fresher. For instance, the Germans had a two month layoff before their World Cup campaign.

He also noted that if you looked really hard at the English squad, there are probably only four players in the squad that are really world class. There are a few in the squad who don't even rate. He rekons Rooney is buggered from the season past and he is carrying a lot of weight for a forward. He thinks the tactics are out of date and need freshening up.

Not all doom and gloom though. The youth World Cup is coming up and he thinks England has some outstanding prospects there. Maybe take a leaf out of Germany's book and rebuild with a youth orientated team?
    Whoever says there are two many players in the EPL and not enough English players are right. There are also too many teams and as a result too many matches being played leading to tired players with little or no breaks prior to tournaments. The salaries are too high as well but that's another discussion.

I think as an experiment for the next major tournament (Euro 2012) only the top players from the lower divisions should be chosen. They have everything to prove and often come across as having much more passion for playing. Look at an English pub team on a Sunday afternoon for an extreme example, these guys are sweating and bleeding, playing a game they love for no more reward than the chance to have a run out with their mates, maybe a goal or two and a couple of pints afterwards. If we could bottle this passion and somehow push it up the leagues then we'd have a fighting chance. Saying that there are still a lot of players with passion and drive but it seems to me there's too many who get comfortable with too much reward (financial) and too much attention at such young ages that by the time they hit 25 their concentration is on whether their postcode is fashionable enough and their Bentley's the right colour rather than whether the weak areas of their overall game has been/can be improved

The EPL is a showcase league from which the players are financially benefiting but English football as a whole is suffering.

And yeah, you're right. Come to think of it Rooney did look like a bit of a bloater but his overall performance just looked distant to me, his last little effort yesterday where he lobbed the ball towards the top corner of the goal just looked far too casual for anyone genuinely trying to score a goal.

Just missed your point about the youth team. Yes that's one great thing we've got in the form of Stuart Pearce in his dual role as England under 21's manager and coach to the senior team. It's great that he can see the whole picture as opposed to being in Capello's shoes and limited to working with who he's got (to a certain extent). Pearce can feed Capello high quality, proven team players from the junior teams with the added benefit of a bird's eye view of the senior team which allows him to gauge how well he's done and if his working methods and intuition are correct. If Capello goes I really hope Pearce stays where he is. We need his consistency and the longer he does his job the more we'll get.

If that is the best Paraguay can do, they are toast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    WHOO HOO!!! My boys came good in the end! Spain 1- Portugal 0, goal from David Villa!!!

*jigs*

Quote Originally Posted by NineTails20 View Post
    WHOO HOO!!! My boys came good in the end! Spain 1- Portugal 0, goal from David Villa!!!

*jigs*
    Spain didn't even step up a gear and they still didn't let Portugal get much run of the ball. I think Villa can play where he wants and he'll need to as to stop him any team he faces will need to shut him out or it'll be all over.

It'll be Brazil-Uruguay, Spain-Argentina leading to Brazil-Spain.

Spain to win.

I think

I think it is only a matter of time before
    Brazil wins the World Cup.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

knothere Guest
    fuk portugal they forgot how to play soccer

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I think it is only a matter of time before
    Brazil wins the World Cup.
    I hope that my country will beat the Brazilians next Friday.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    I hope that my country will beat the Brazilians next Friday.
    As nice as that would be unfortunately the Dutch just don't have the team to do it at the moment. It's up to Spain to do that.

I've put a lot of money on my predictions today so don't have a go at me Linny

Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    As nice as that would be unfortunately the Dutch just don't have the team to do it at the moment. It's up to Spain to do that.

I've put a lot of money on my predictions today so don't have a go at me Linny

Of course not. Lots of Dutch people don't believe that the team can't beat them. That's why I use the words "I hope".
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...