Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marine's Dad Forced to Pay Expenses for Group Who Disrupted Funeral

imadeathhag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I look at it this way. If George Tillers family sued Bill O'Reily for calling him "Tiller the Baby Killer" over and over again untill some right wing fanatic finally shot him in the head in church, and lost, they should have to pay his legal cost, I'm sure O'Reily would agree. It's funny how Hannity and O'Reily are keepers of free speech unless it's something they don't agree with. They Defend all the hate signs at tea party's. Men taking assault rifles to Obama's speeches. They are treasonous hypocrites.

I don't want to hear about the court favoring the democrats either. The courts made President Bush president, they just gave a blank check to the GOP from special interest by allowing no limits on how much corporations can donate to campaigns. Even foriegn company's can donate now.

Fred Phelps is ass, his message is one of hate. One of division. But to have feeedom of speech sometimes you have to hear stuff you don't like.
    Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by 78 Cobra II Fan View Post
    These assholes came here to east Tennessee to protest a funeral in my home town of Cleveland the only problem they had to land at the Chattanooga aport about 30 miles away no cab would give them a ride . They missed the whole thing assholes.
    Classic!

3. 04-01-2010, 04:17 PM
    Reason
    Oops

Gorey Guest
    They came to a funeral in Freedom, PA. They saw the Patriot Guard there on the motorcycles, and rode right past without stopping.

stephenmiller Guest
    Can you imagine Fred Phelps and his inbred ilk protesting at military funerals in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam?? Indeed, where was Fred back then and why didn't he protest back then???
    Also, it is amazing how WBC shows up at various funerals all over the country. I guess they must have one amazing internet department devoted to researching all the national newspapers online for military obits. Who funds their travels so they can get around the country for protesting?? Let's cut off that funding ASAP!!

Meli Guest
    These people make me see red!! As most of you know, Im a Vet, as is my husband... I dont think I even know how I would react to seeing these pricks at my husbands funeral (thank god he came home safely.) My husbands best friend is over seas, and my very best friend in the world is set to deploy yet again soon... I can say with no certaintity that if any of my loved ones were KIA and these monsters showed their faces it would be VERY bad!

Good lord, thats the last thing a young widow needs, or the children left behind by a soldier... these people have no right! BUT I am up for protesting one of their funerals when they kick off!!

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Where are all those hotshot celebrity probono media whore lawyers now? They should be lining up to help with this issue.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Exactly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
    What we need is some sort of mobilization. When a military funeral is being planned, have a list of volunteers who are willing to hold a peaceful and reverent demonstration in the designated protest area. If necessary, have dozens of demonstrators get there several hours before the funeral, and provide a physical barrier between the hate mongers and the mourners, so that they cannot be seen or heard. I'd be willing to spend a few hours this way in service to my country.

How does one wake up day in and day out, with hate being your reason for existence? I think your soul must be destroyed to act like that.

Thats what I was thinking of. Have the little old ladies from the local church with their bibles stand around and sing hymnals. Drown them assholes out. I have a question. Since those fuckers scream slurs, how come they can't be charged with a hate crime? I'm not gay but would claim to be to get their asses arrested.

Hate crimes (also known as bias-motivated crimes) occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her perceived membership in a certain social group, usually defined by racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, class, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, or political affiliation.[1]
    "Hate crime" generally refers to criminal acts which are seen to have been motivated by hatred of one or more of the listed conditions. Incidents may involve physical assault, damage to property, bullying, harassment, verbal abuse or insults, or offensive graffiti or letters (hate mail).[2]

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I look at it this way. If George Tillers family sued Bill O'Reily for calling him "Tiller the Baby Killer" over and over again untill some right wing fanatic finally shot him in the head in church, and lost, they should have to pay his legal cost, I'm sure O'Reily would agree. It's funny how Hannity and O'Reily are keepers of free speech unless it's something they don't agree with. They Defend all the hate signs at tea party's. Men taking assault rifles to Obama's speeches. They are treasonous hypocrites.

I don't want to hear about the court favoring the democrats either. The courts made President Bush president, they just gave a blank check to the GOP from special interest by allowing no limits on how much corporations can donate to campaigns. Even foriegn company's can donate now.

Fred Phelps is ass, his message is one of hate. One of division. But to have feeedom of speech sometimes you have to hear stuff you don't like.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the free speech thing. This is about respect for a person who died defending our country. The examples you give, O'Reilly and Hannity aren't standing at a left wing liberals funeral holding signs saying "God hates lefties", they are paid to talk the way they do. I don't listen to them because politics is really boring, but I don't begrudge them their $0.02.

I feel that no matter who the person is, what they did or what views they have, everyone deserves to have a funeral/wake/sendoff with dignity and peace. It doesn't matter if they died in a war people disagree with, died of something that was their fault, etc... its not right to disrupt their loved ones who are saying goodbye. Just because people have the right to do something, and it is protected by the constitution doesn't mean they have to utilize it. There's a time and a place.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

cachluv Guest

I never EVER thought I'd be saying this, but....

ALL HAIL BILL O'REILLY (just this once actually, but indeed, All Hail.....)

Bill O'Reilly: I'll Pay Fine Owed Westboro

1day 1hrs ago

1 votes

After a judge ruled that the father of a dead soldier must pay Westboro Baptist Church their court costs for defending themselves against his suit for picketing his son's funeral, Bill O'Reilly has announced that he would personally pay the judgment. O'Reilly: "I will pay Mr. Snyder's obligation. I am not going to let this injustice stand."

FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by cachluv; 04-02-2010 at 09:07 AM.

silverwaif77 Guest
    From what I have heard, several members of the family are lawyers, they used to sue people who harassed them while they were protesting the funerals of homosexuals. It sounds like win or lose they make money, plus they get money from the old, feeble people who arent spry enough to make it to the demonstrations. I wouldnt sink to their level by protesting a funeral of phelps, I would however have a highly advertised party celebrating his death. Who wouldnt want to boogie after hearing that news?

lola Guest
    I'd never thought I'd praise Bill either ... but I am glad the family does not have to pay those court costs.

TBH I know of WBC but never looked into them much. I just read about Phelps....man, that guy has serious issues. He seems to hate everything and everyone.

What really kills me that he calls his group a church. Does he honestly think he is doing God's work? From what I remember from the Bible (and it has been a while -- I consider myself an agnostic now), Jesus ate / drank with the sinners, did he not? He didn't hang out with the so-called 'righteous' and point fingers.

So yeah...If this guy happened to drop dead tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear. What an ass.

imadeathhag Guest
    I joined this group on Facebook:

Against Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Agains...?ref=ts&v=wall

P.S.

I don't care for Bill O'Reilly at all, but 2 thumbs up to him for helping the Snyder family!

I'm so glad Bill O-Reilly is paying his legal fee. He did a good thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post

I feel that no matter who the person is, what they did or what views they have, everyone deserves to have a funeral/wake/sendoff with dignity and peace. It doesn't matter if they died in a war people disagree with, died of something that was their fault, etc... its not right to disrupt their loved ones who are saying goodbye. Just because people have the right to do something, and it is protected by the constitution doesn't mean they have to utilize it. There's a time and a place.
    I strongly strongly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    I don't think anyone disagrees with the free speech thing. This is about respect for a person who died defending our country. The examples you give, O'Reilly and Hannity aren't standing at a left wing liberals funeral holding signs saying "God hates lefties", they are paid to talk the way they do. I don't listen to them because politics is really boring, but I don't begrudge them their $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I strongly strongly agree.

I do also. Common sense has to come into play as well... and it does not enough anymore. I think once again community standards should disallow this type of behavior... a local ordinance for example, let the local citizens vote on it. That would make too much sense though.

I gaurandamntee the founding fathers did not have this type of bullshit in mind when they gave us the right to free speech. I bet a few turn over in their graves on a daily basis.

The reason there was not a clause in the constitution to disallow this type of speech is because they probably never in their wildest dreams imagined the type of "speech" that takes place these days.

Does anyone honestly believe that our founding fathers in the revolutionary era would have allowed a few countymen to stand by at a funeral of their fallen soliders and scream and protest. I think fucking not. The bastards probably would have been burned at the stake.

As a country we really need to wise up... we continue to go down a very dangerous road where everything is "ok".

RaRaRamona Guest
    I think so too. Burning them alive would have been too kind.

imadeathhag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inked_Daddy View Post
    I do also. Common sense has to come into play as well... and it does not enough anymore. I think once again community standards should disallow this type of behavior... a local ordinance for example, let the local citizens vote on it. That would make too much sense though.

I gaurandamntee the founding fathers did not have this type of bullshit in mind when they gave us the right to free speech. I bet a few turn over in their graves on a daily basis.

The reason there was not a clause in the constitution to disallow this type of speech is because they probably never in their wildest dreams imagined the type of "speech" that takes place these days.

Does anyone honestly believe that our founding fathers in the revolutionary era would have allowed a few countymen to stand by at a funeral of their fallen soliders and scream and protest. I think fucking not. The bastards probably would have been burned at the stake.

As a country we really need to wise up... we continue to go down a very dangerous road where everything is "ok".
    Agreed.

Taggerez Guest
    Personally, I think O'Reilly paying the Snyder's bills is a publicity stunt, but I have no proof, just suspicion. The fact that Bill subtly trumpeted his role late last week is a little sickening.

Why has no one pointed out that Freddie Phelps was once a big supporter of Al Gore and Bill Clinton? Politics makes strange bedfellows.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lola View Post
    I'd never thought I'd praise Bill either ... but I am glad the family does not have to pay those court costs.

TBH I know of WBC but never looked into them much. I just read about Phelps....man, that guy has serious issues. He seems to hate everything and everyone.

What really kills me that he calls his group a church. Does he honestly think he is doing God's work? From what I remember from the Bible (and it has been a while -- I consider myself an agnostic now), Jesus ate / drank with the sinners, did he not? He didn't hang out with the so-called 'righteous' and point fingers.

So yeah...If this guy happened to drop dead tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear. What an ass.
    The on-line bio for Phelps describes him as a disbarred attorney. I wonder what sent this idiot in this direction?
    regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerez View Post
    Why has no one pointed out that Freddie Phelps was once a big supporter of Al Gore and Bill Clinton? Politics makes strange bedfellows.
    That actually shocks me, as both Clinton and Gore are pretty clearly pro-Choice, and even have been subtly supportive of the Gay and Lesbian community. Given Westboro's famous sign that they have picketed funerals with, "God Hates Fags", I would think they would stay as far away from both Clinton and Gore as much as possible. Do you have a source for this information?

I've ranted about the Westboro Church on other threads, so I won't repeat it here. They are despicable, and I think the irony here is that if anyone is going to Hell in any of these situations, it's these hatemongers. They go after people on the Left and the Right pretty much evenly. They are well-known on a Pagan site I've frequented for spamming it with hate mail.

The Patriot Guard do good work. They showed up at the funeral of one of my friend's nephew's funeral and she said they were wonderful and they show of support was beyond welcome. So if the Patriot Guard takes Wiccan blessings, they have mine.
    Last edited by amaranthaseven; 04-05-2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: unclear phrasing

orionova Guest
    About ten years ago, a gay, black man was killed and it was staged to look like a hit and run. The bastards who did it finally confessed, but the Phelps Phucks came out to picket the funeral. A group of young men and women from West Virginia University's Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Mountaineers group went to the service and formed a human wall around the mourners to protect them from the Phucks. I was, and am, very proud of them for having the courage to do so.

imadeathhag Guest
    two thumbs up orion!

Personally, I think O'Reilly paying the Snyder's bills is a publicity stunt, but I have no proof, just suspicion. The fact that Bill subtly trumpeted his role late last week is a little sickening.

Not only is it for publicity on his part, but really that level intensity of anti-gay sentiment isn't really all that far off from his own nor many far right asswipes; similiar to Love & Hate, so close .............
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

I wonder- do you think Fred Phelps doth protest too much, if you know what I'm saying? That could be why he is so violently against homosexuals...
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

The latest is that this group of asswipes showed up in the town in West Virginia where the 25 coal miners lost their lives so that they can proclaim the tragedy is because of America's tolerance for gays.

One woman related to one of the (dead) miners lost her temper & spat of them. She was arrested for assault. Figures doesn't it ? That group of cretins shows up to provoke on occassions when people are hurting and at their most vulnerable. Personally, I'd like to see some of the miners mine them a large hole 2 miles deep.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

sablegsd Guest
    Absofreakinlutely despicable.

God forgive me, I would shed no tears if this group of freakazoid pissants all died in a tragic, flame engulfed bus accident.

trishsixxm Guest
    I hope nobody gets upset with me but I think the War in Iraq was a pretty dumb idea considering it was the taliban who were responsible for 911. Though I'm so grateful that now our troops are treated with the proper respect that they deserve for the job that they do in protecting us so we can continue to live our lives in a free country but these religious freaks are no better then the taliban imo. Who gives anybody the right to judge anyone especially our troops who lay their lives on the line daily and I don't think these freaks would do that for anyone not even their "God".

Dying Breath Guest
    Fred Phelps is now 80 years old.. wonder how his church/family are going to like the turnout his funeral gets bet is is gonna be a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dying Breath View Post
    Fred Phelps is now 80 years old.. wonder how his church/family are going to like the turnout his funeral gets bet is is gonna be a show.
    I would probably go out of my way to picket his funeral! We all owe him. I'm trying to come up with a clever sign to make for the occasion. "God Hates Fred Phelps" seems too obvious. And I don't know what God thinks about him anyway (contrary to what these yahoos think, nobody really does).

How about this one at Fred's funeral: "Say Hello To Satan For Me, Fred!" For all I know I'm going to Hell myself, so that's less presumptive than stating what God feels, IMHO. As long as I get to eternally prank Fred in Hell, I'm fine with that. Well, Fred and Hitler.
    Last edited by amaranthaseven; 04-13-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I think Phelps and his crew are guilty of hate crimes, pure and simple. Free speech my ass--they should all be in jail.

trishsixxm Guest
    The God I was raised to believe was scary. But now I'm an adult and he's not the monster that the catholic faith preached to me he loves everyone that's what I believe and not everyone believes that and it's okay I'm not about to go and picket just because they don't believe what I do. That's why we live in the United States so have that right.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Just once I would like to see the towns people get together with pitchforlks and a bucket of tar and some feathers and go after these people..not hurt them,, but just surround them and "protest" them being there lol.. Freedome of speach is for everyone so whenever and wherever those trashy people show up the people of that town need to go after them. Get the H.A. out there and have them ride their bikes around in circles keep them in a group and scared so they can't ruin someones funeral or add to a parents grief. If people would just scare the shit out of them a few times maybe they would stop if they think they are in danger,

stephenmiller Guest
    Wow, how do those cretins show up at funerals this fast??
    My congratulations to that woman who spat at them. She is a hero for trying to stand up to them. But why were the cretins NOT arrested??

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    The latest is that this group of asswipes showed up in the town in West Virginia where the 25 coal miners lost their lives so that they can proclaim the tragedy is because of America's tolerance for gays.

One woman related to one of the (dead) miners lost her temper & spat of them. She was arrested for assault. Figures doesn't it ? That group of cretins shows up to provoke on occassions when people are hurting and at their most vulnerable. Personally, I'd like to see some of the miners mine them a large hole 2 miles deep.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

One woman related to one of the (dead) miners lost her temper & spat of them. She was arrested for assault. Figures doesn't it ? That group of cretins shows up to provoke on occasions when people are hurting and at their most vulnerable. Personally, I'd like to see some of the miners mine them a large hole 2 miles deep.
    They better be careful. It is one thing to show up in NY or Maryland and just totally hurt and piss people off but doing it in a mining town in WV where the emotions are still so raw they might just end up getting way more engagement than they counted on. These folks , the miner's families and town folk consider themselves decent law abiding Christians but I doubt they will find it easy to turn their cheek at these clowns. It might be ax handles and baseball bats.
    Regards,
    Mary

Shawver83 Guest
    Since most of their rhetoric involves slurs like 'fags' and centers on homosexuality, how are they not considered to be committing hate crimes?

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawver83 View Post
    Since most of their rhetoric involves slurs like 'fags' and centers on homosexuality, how are they not considered to be committing hate crimes?
    You can still say pretty much what you like and I'm not sure I want that right taken away.

On the other hand, you may be in for a severe ass kickin' if you offend the wrong person.

I still think they'll find old Fred stomped to death one of these days.

It wouldn't break my heart.

STsFirstmate Guest

I couldn't find any record of his supporting Clinton but he did support Gore because Gore fought a gay Bill of Rights at one time and said "society ought not be considered affirming homosexuality."
    Later when Clinton and Gore very weakly supported not running over gay people with buses he turned on them.
    Including picketing Gore's father's funeral shouting that the change in Gore's position caused his father's death.
    He also for various reasons hates the Irish, Jews and Sweden. I must say I have never encountered a virulent anti-swede bigot before.
    The sad thing is that at one time this guy was a fairly competent civil rights attorney working pro-bono to get Jim Crow laws struck down. I wonder what happened to him or is he is simply terrified by some aspect of his own sexuality?
    Support for Al Gore

Phelps supported Al Gore in the 1988 Democratic Party primary election.[59] In his 1984 Senate race, Gore opposed a "gay bill of rights" and stated that homosexuality was not something that "society should affirm".[60] Phelps has stated that he supported Gore because of these earlier comments.[61] According to Phelps, members of the Westboro Baptist Church helped run Gore's 1988 campaign in Kansas. Phelps' son, Fred Phelps Jr., hosted a Gore fundraiser at his home in Topeka and was a Gore delegate to the 1988 Democratic National Convention.[13] Gore spokesman Dag Vega declined to comment, saying "We are not dignifying those stories with a response."[62]
    Opposition to Al Gore, Bill Clinton, and Hillary Rodham Clinton

During the 1992 presidential campaign, Phelps protested Hillary Rodham Clinton during a campaign speech in support of the Clinton-Gore ticket at the University of Kansas on October 14, 1992. In Bill Clinton's second presidential campaign, Phelps and the Westboro church also opposed Clinton and Gore because of the administration's support for gay rights. The entire Westboro congregation picketed a 1997 inaugural ball,[63] denouncing Gore as a "famous fag pimp."[64] In 1998, Westboro picketed the funeral of Gore's father, screaming vulgarities at Gore and telling him, "your dad's in Hell."[64]

Regards,
    Mary

steffie Guest
    OMG Phelps is a SOB!!
    Yeah they better watch running their mouths to the miners family/friends.They might disappear =D
    Hope they let the woman that spit on them off.

40. 04-17-2010, 06:09 PM

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by death hag dee View Post
    Didnt I just read on fox news that they are finally getting sued?
    They were sued and won. That is what this thread is about. Other suits have since been filed.
    Regards,
    Mary