Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicest and meanest celebrity you've met

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post

Nicole Kidman=cold, plain, very conceited and possibly mad!

Tom Cruise= we couldnt tell where the smell of BO was coming from, turned around and there was......TC.

Please elaborate on these!

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicTVFan View Post
    Bill Shatner is not very personable and will not allow fans to take pictures with him. I'm not sure if this is a new thing or if it is his MO.
    It's probably because he's so fat now!

I had forgotten all about this until now, but a long time ago I was attending my nephew's baseball game and that kid from I'll Fly Away was there. I didn't actually meet him, but he looked rather sad. He was with what I think was a parent and they were off to themselves, aloof. His name was Jeremy London.

This other one doesn't count any more than the above, but Jerry Lee Lewis came to my town back in the early 80s for a concert in a school gym. We were sitting right next to the stage and, in between songs, the woman with me screamed at the top of her lungs "JEEEEERRRRRY!" He actually turned and looked me right in the eye. I guess he thought I was the screamer. Felt like crawling in a hole. LOL.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Forever-27 Guest
    cherry I bought the painting for the fact its an original. At the same time I got a Janis Joplin art piece but the Joplin art is a copy, her estate keeps the original. Michael and Laura Joplin were there and they both are great people and were very welcoming and talkitive. I figured since I spent a considerable amount of money on Grace's art the very least she would do is spend 2 seconds and sign a vinyl album for me. She refused. I asked her as she sat at a table in the art gallery since im a major Janis Joplin fan if there were any particular time that stands out since they were friends back in the day...... she told me to buy her book, its all there. I still think the way she acted was way out of line towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    cherry I bought the painting for the fact its an original. At the same time I got a Janis Joplin art piece but the Joplin art is a copy, her estate keeps the original. Michael and Laura Joplin were there and they both are great people and were very welcoming and talkitive. I figured since I spent a considerable amount of money on Grace's art the very least she would do is spend 2 seconds and sign a vinyl album for me. She refused. I asked her as she sat at a table in the art gallery since im a major Janis Joplin fan if there were any particular time that stands out since they were friends back in the day...... she told me to buy her book, its all there. I still think the way she acted was way out of line towards me.
    Actually Grace Slicks autobiography is pretty good reading, but man, she was a total bitch to you on that day!

I'm surprised you didn't return her painting and ask for a refund!

alicecooper91 Guest
    Well, let's see...I met Richard Karn (Al on Home Improvement), and he was very nice. I also met Mario Lopez and he was super nice! Uuuhm, I met Alice Cooper and he was awesome, he threatened to draw a mustache on me with a Sharpie =] I also met Eddie Izzard and I can't really say if he was nice or not...I feel bad for the man because I waited by his car for an autograph haha. I think I scared him. But seriously, even though it was in a dark alley, how harmless is a 16 year old girl?

My absolute FAVORITE celebrity encounter, however, was Mr. Johnny Depp. They filmed part of Blow just about a half a mile from my house, and I would go up and watch the filming. On the final night they would be shooting there, he was signing autographs in an alleyway. I waited in line and just as it was my turn he went to his trailer to have his makeup taken off. I decided to wait outside of his trailer but as soon as I got over there, the security guard asked if I had gotten an autograph, so I said no and he LET ME IN THE TRAILER. I was in heaven. I got to talk to Johnny for like 10 minutes and watch him have his makeup removed. He was the sweetest man! Sadly I didn't have a camera with me, but I did get his autograph and I got to shake his hand twice =D I doubt he'd remember me but I'd like to meet him again someday so I could ask him haha.

Still on my list of people I must meet...hmm...Betty White, Dick Van Dyke, Meatloaf, Tim Curry, Barry Bostwick, Peter Hinwood, Gene Wilder, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Tia Carrere, Wayne Brady, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. I know I'm forgetting someone though...

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    The beotch was probably hungry.
    This just made me crack the fuck up, LMAO!!!!!

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alicecooper91 View Post
    My absolute FAVORITE celebrity encounter, however, was Mr. Johnny Depp. They filmed part of Blow just about a half a mile from my house, and I would go up and watch the filming. On the final night they would be shooting there, he was signing autographs in an alleyway. I waited in line and just as it was my turn he went to his trailer to have his makeup taken off. I decided to wait outside of his trailer but as soon as I got over there, the security guard asked if I had gotten an autograph, so I said no and he LET ME IN THE TRAILER. I was in heaven. I got to talk to Johnny for like 10 minutes and watch him have his makeup removed. He was the sweetest man! Sadly I didn't have a camera with me, but I did get his autograph and I got to shake his hand twice =D I doubt he'd remember me but I'd like to meet him again someday so I could ask him haha.
    Is there any bad press on Johnny? He is THE MAN!

natbrat76 Guest
    The nicest celebrity I've ever met was Trace Adkins. He was way sweet! Very down to earth and surprisingly a little shy.

MagicMom Guest
    I haven't really met any celebrities, but I did go to high school with Ryan Phillippe -(Reese Witherspoon's ex and the father of her kids).
    He is a very, VERY sweet person - quiet and very unassuming. Even after he made it big, he came back to town to visit family and would play basketball in his parent's driveway. Just a really genuine guy.

Quote Originally Posted by alicecooper91 View Post

i'm so jealous of you i could spit.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Quote Originally Posted by natbrat76 View Post
    The nicest celebrity I've ever met was Trace Adkins. He was way sweet! Very down to earth and surprisingly a little shy.
    trace adkins is f'n sexy.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Reecy Guest
    While I was walking in NYC I couldn't help notice across the street I saw Hugh Jackman.

I didn't meet him but "He is so tall you couldn't miss him". He looks the same as in the newspapers and magazines. Cute...

Tornillo Guest
    Nicest: a lot of them really but Adam West meant the most.

Meanest: hands down...Jimmy Dean. What an ass.

Noelle Page Guest
    I forgot--Tom Wolfe, my favorite author. Met him at a function. Lovely Southern gentleman, politely fielded my inane, star-struck conversation. And yes, beautifully dressed!

Snudgie Guest
    Firstly can I just say that this thread ROCKS!!!..and I'm insanely jealous of some of you...for meeting some of my favourite stars!

OK here's my list..bear with me....you might not know who most of these are if you're in U.S.A. so my apologies!

A-ha..(Norwegian pop group, big in the 80's, did that song "Take On Me" with the cool video)...Lovely lovely guys, especially Morten Harket, who was..and still is the most beautiful man to walk the face of the earth...Met them back in 1988.

Phillip Schofield, Brian Conley, Cheryl Baker,Pete Waterman, Sinitta, Hazell Dean, Big Fun...all at a radio show in !987... all really nice, if slightly worried by the stuttering gibbering star-struck 13 year old jumping up and down in front of them (Me)

My Dad used to work backstage at the Blackpool Opera House back in the 70's and met several stars of the decade...his favourtes were Ptula Clark, who remembered EVERYONES names...and Olivia Newton-John was "tiny and lovely and smelt nice!"

He said Bob Geldof was an arsehole....and didn't smell nice.

Keep these coming they are fabulous, have a great day everyone!

Ali xxx

Noelle Page Guest
    "Smelt nice"---I like it!

ibestevie Guest
    OK. I'll be honest. I haven't really met that many celebs but this is my favorite thread and I hope to bring it back to life.

I did exchange greetings with Dick Clark at LAX and he seemed like a nice guy. I know this contradicts most reports.

I met Jon Lovitz at the Grove in LA. Very nice guy. Seems to enjoy being recognized.

I saw Tia Carrere at the Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset Blvd. Beautiful woman. I didn't approach her because she was with a group.

I met Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill through my dad when I was a teenager. He was the consummate politician. Had a photographic memory and a very imposing presence. I was amazed at how he could walk through a room recognizing every face in a huge crowd. He had only met my father once before but remembered details about his work and family. Very impressive guy.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornillo View Post
    Meanest: hands down...Jimmy Dean. What an ass.
    Uhh, the sausage guy? That made me laugh, for some reason!

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    a lady who worked at the record store also worked at bmi or ascap,so this is a as-told-to-story. many years ago]so they couldda changed] but she said garth brooks came through bmi,after he made it big[he had visited before he made it big] and introduced his 1st wife to everyone in the place,and had REMEMBERED EVERYBODYS NAME. might be a trick,but it endeared him to them all.

otoh,billy ray cyrus was hot at the time. his performance was so sickening i don't care to type it.

only celeb I ever met was mick avory of the kinks. we partied like rock stars,i guess you could say.

I have met many celebs but one of the best Ryba McIntire . I was backstage at one of the "Girls Night Out" shows a few years back and a small group of us met her and she was nicest lady and she remembered our names hours after while everyone was eating and relaxing after the show. Very humble and gracious and signed anything anyone wanted and posed for so many pictures I am sure she was blind afterward.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    My husband met Garth Brooks last year and asked for an autograph for me. He asked my name and like an hour later he still remembered. I just thought it was nice that he made an attempt for a fan.

cynnbox Guest
    I have met all member of Linkin Park. Chester and Mike were very nice....all the others were pretty cool.. Only one that was an ass was Mr. Hahn (DJ)

spoiledkitty Guest
    JAMES WOODS!! Oh my god he was the coolest, I think he even let me drool on him. Met him and his mom on one of my security jobs. He was a personal favorite of mine before that but after that chance encounter he was the MOST FAB!!!! I even blogged it I was so excited. I maintained my cool until he left then I freakin lost it. Called everyone I knew and was pissed when the people I told didn't know who he was. this is how it happened James is very much an animal lover and he was concerned about a dog that was locked up in a car on a HOT day in June. The people at coach called us "security" to come handle the situation they told me to look for an irate guy in a blue baseball cap, when I arrived he wasn't irate and I mouthed the words james woods when i saw him then I thought naw this is smithfield what would HE be doing here especially at the outlets. When he held out his hand to thank me for responding quickly I knew by voice then i was not mistaken It was him, all I could mouth out was " Oh my god you're...." he just smiled and said yes, yes I am.... I sent my other guard to the office for some paper and a camera we took care of the doggy problem and I got a hug and a photograph. It was a highlight of a day! Tupac's mom (amire shakur)was in perfumania she was really nice. I haven't met any others . unless you count sports people james bonecrusher smith (ex boxer) and clyde king( yankee's coach) both were really nice. .
    As for meanest I personally have not met him, but I had some friend of mine that used to own a video store and met Charlie Sheen in a bar in VA when he was filming Navy Seals they said he was a REAL asshat
    Last edited by spoiledkitty; 02-20-2008 at 05:14 PM.

24. 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM

minimomny Guest
    The members of Cobra Starship are by far the nicest to their fans. They make sure every last person gets an autograph and picture.

Sorry won't let me post my pic of my daughter with the lead singer, Gabe!

Noelle Page Guest
    They keep occurring to me....once met Marlee Matlin. She was pleasant (and very pretty), but it was at a loud, crowded event and making conversation was difficult, at least for me. I'm not sure how well I communicated. It was brief small talk anyway. But I admit I did feel awkward.

Oh! One of the "Sister, Sister" sisters was sweet as could be to my kids. Just posed for the photo with a smile and no fuss. That's how I like my celebs!

Deat becomesher Guest
    Al Pacino: This happened 14 years ago

I didnt meet anyone but my sister met Al Pacino. It was my sisters birthday and her mother in law and some of her friends took her to Manhattan to Campanellis (for dinner) and then to they went to see Al Pacino doing his one man show. She got to the show late because of the traffic and her seats were given away. My sister having a few drinks in her started to argue with the usher about giving her seats away (2nd row from the stage) She was told because she was late. They made her go to the "standing room only" section. She was mad and complained loudly all the way. So when Al Pacino went outside to sign autographs my sister followed him. Her MIL bet her $100 that she wouldn't get his autograph. My sister got in line and was bitching to everyone about how she lost her seats and how much they cost her MIL (who paid for them) and it was her birthday gift and how she felt gypped. Mr Pacino heard her and went to where she was in line and asked her name. So she told him and he said to her "Rita what can I do to make it up to you"? Can I take you out to dinner? She told him she was there with her MIL and friends. He said again; I want to make it up to you, come with me for dessert for your birthday". So my sister said to him listen I got $100 bucks riding with my MIL on getting your autograph. She had no pen or paper, so he borrowed a magic marker and signed her blouse. "Where are you from Rita? Brooklyn? He asked. My sister said "no I'm from the bronx" So he said "Oh your a bronx girl. Well Rita from the Bronx your making a mistake not going with me. I may change your life forever". My sister said to him "I have to go home I have a husband and kids". So he wished her a happy birthday, she collected her money from her MIL and took a cab home. But she still have the shirt and the memories. She remarked that Al was very handsome, short, very flirty and that if she was single she would have gone. He was very nice to his fans especially the women.

Madonna: 1990 (i think)

My BIL worked in a sub shop in downtown Manhattan. I guess their subs were the best in that area. One day my BIL was taking a smoke break outside when a Limo pulled up and out walked Madonna and some guy. Of course everyone was surrounding her in the shop. She ordered her sandwich and my BIL asked for her autograph. She looked at him and said "Do I look like I am here to sign autographs? I want my sub". My BIL being the ass that he is said to her "Who the hell do you think you are God or something"? She got mad and left the guy (Im assuming an assisatant) there to fetch her sandwich. My BIL said she was the biggest bitch he had ever met. He said if she wanted privacy why walk into a crowded deli in downtown Manhatten and not expect to be asked to sign an autograph.
    Last edited by Deat becomesher; 02-20-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

thescreensiren Guest
    I LOVE Al Pacino. That story is seriously AWESOME!!! When I met him he was very, very shy and sweet. Oh, if only my boyfriend at the time hadn't been there with me. What was I THINKING? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Deat becomesher View Post

My BIL worked in a sub shop in downtown Manhattan. I guess their subs were the best in that area. One day my BIL was taking a smoke break outside when a Limo pulled up and out walked Madonna and some guy. Of course everyone was surrounding her in the shop. She ordered her sandwich and my BIL asked for her autograph. She looked at him and said "Do I look like I am here to sign autographs? I want my sub". My BIL being the ass that he is said to her "Who the hell do you think you are God or something"? She got mad and left the guy (Im assuming an assisatant) there to fetch her sandwich. My BIL said she was the biggest bitch he had ever met. He said if she wanted privacy why walk into a crowded deli in downtown Manhatten and not expect to be asked to sign an autograph.
    Getting an autograph from Madonna is like finding the Holy Grail. I've heard she simply refuses to sign autographs for ANYONE.

I just love that story about Al Pacino, he is my most favourite actor.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

I didnt meet anyone but my sister met Al Pacino. It was my sisters birthday and her mother in law and some of her friends took her to Manhattan to Campanellis (for dinner) and then to they went to see Al Pacino doing his one man show. She got to the show late because of the traffic and her seats were given away. My sister having a few drinks in her started to argue with the usher about giving her seats away (2nd row from the stage) She was told because she was late. They made her go to the "standing room only" section. She was mad and complained loudly all the way. So when Al Pacino went outside to sign autographs my sister followed him. Her MIL bet her $100 that she wouldn't get his autograph. My sister got in line and was bitching to everyone about how she lost her seats and how much they cost her MIL (who paid for them) and it was her birthday gift and how she felt gypped. Mr Pacino heard her and went to where she was in line and asked her name. So she told him and he said to her "Rita what can I do to make it up to you"? Can I take you out to dinner? She told him she was there with her MIL and friends. He said again; I want to make it up to you, come with me for dessert for your birthday". So my sister said to him listen I got $100 bucks riding with my MIL on getting your autograph. She had no pen or paper, so he borrowed a magic marker and signed her blouse. "Where are you from Rita? Brooklyn? He asked. My sister said "no I'm from the bronx" So he said "Oh your a bronx girl. Well Rita from the Bronx your making a mistake not going with me. I may change your life forever". My sister said to him "I have to go home I have a husband and kids". So he wished her a happy birthday, she collected her money from her MIL and took a cab home. But she still have the shirt and the memories. She remarked that Al was very handsome, short, very flirty and that if she was single she would have gone. He was very nice to his fans especially the women.

Your brother-in-law should get a medal.

Cemetry Gates Guest
    Al Pacino rules! ATTICA! ATTICA!!

Deat becomesher Guest
    My sister treats that blouse like its a holy object lol. I love that right after she came home she called me to let me know what happened. She said he's quite the charmer. I believe it. She also is a cute little petite blonde who wore a mini that night so who knows lol.
    My BIL is just like Madonna so she met her match that day. lol

Deat becomesher Guest
    That same BIL in the same sub shop met Steven Segal. I guess they were filming a shot for one of his movies in and around that location. So he got to know some of the regular (He too ate the subs from that place). My BIL had a few conversations with Mr Segal and my BIL told him how much my middle sister loved him. He told my BIL to call her and get her down to the location. My sister hopped the train made it to the location and got to talk with Segal and took pictures with him and her family. My sister said he was a regular guy. Dont now if she still has the pictures but I did get to see them. This was at the height of his career so it was a big deal to my sister.

I do have one more: boy I am never around when the good things happen.

Some of my family members live in Harlem (they still own the Brownstone today) At the time the Godfather was filiming on the street where my Aunt lives. It was warm weather and the kids were out playing stick ball in the street. A man came up to them and asked if they like to make some $$$. So the scene where the kids are playing in the water ( where Sonny beats up his BIL) are some of my cousins. This is their claim to fame being in that shot. If course they are all grown now but everytime I see that shot, I get to see my cousin (in the white tee shirt).

Reecy Guest

Thumbs up

Hey Deat you have wonderful stories. I too like the Al (gasp) (heart thumping) Pacino.

Deat becomesher Guest
    Unfortunately for me I am never around when the good things happen. But I love hearing the stories and live it through my family. I would have gone with Al just to say I had dessert w/Al Pacino on my b'day. lol But my sister didnt and I think she regrets it (shes no longer married to that husband anymore) lol

ibestevie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrinawitch View Post
    Uhh, the sausage guy? That made me laugh, for some reason!
    Me too. What was he famous for except breakfast sausages? I think some people confused him with James Dean the actor.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest

What a night and day difference. Good for Al and shame on Madonna. I wonder how Al treats male fans though???

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Getting an autograph from Madonna is like finding the Holy Grail. I've heard she simply refuses to sign autographs for ANYONE.
    She'd better sign 'em while she can, my guess is it won't be too long until she can't GIVE one away. We can only hope anyway, she's so incredibly overrated. Her singing voice has always reminded me of Minnie Mouse...

Grave Wax Guest
    The nicest I had the pleasure to meet was Carol Burnett. No make-up. Glowing skin. She was very not full of herself. That same day, from a distance, I saw Rock Hudson (he waved) and Gene Kelly (he ignored). Carol and Rock were in the last few days of doing "I Do, I Do". Gene Kelly was rehearsing for the play that followed.

Grace Slick was another joy to meet. She was very warm and friendly, and very funny. She sat on my lap because I had taken her chair. I've met Grace several times through the years.

I met Cass Elliot (Mama Cass) twice, about seven years apart. The first time was "groovy". The second time was a little bitchy. She was ill at the second meeting, so I never held it against her.

My family knew Stevie Ray Vaughn's family. Stevie and I were born the same year. Jimmy, Sr. worked with my dad. Stevie went to my high school. I was never impressed with Stevie or Jimmy, Jr. Jimmy, Sr. was a prince of a guy. Stevie and his dad are buried about fifty yards from my mother. I take Jimmy, Sr. a token flower every time I visit the cemetery.

I've read so many comments about Bob Hope that aren't very warm. I met him and thought he was very nice. He was busy and everyone wanted his attention, so it was hard for him to be much on the one-on-one thing. He did his best to make everyone around him to feel comfortable and welcomed.

Gosh, there are so many more - this could turn into a page by itself. I'll leave it here.

Deat becomesher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    She'd better sign 'em while she can, my guess is it won't be too long until she can't GIVE one away. We can only hope anyway, she's so incredibly overrated. Her singing voice has always reminded me of Minnie Mouse...
    Thats what my BIL said lol

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    The only person I can think of who actually managed to get Madonna's autograph was Arch Campbell. The entertainment critic on Washington DC's WJLA channel 7. I remember him talking about it years ago when he was on another station there.

Of course he did it back in 1983 when she only had a few hits and Madonna was I believe still doing the club thing. Actually Madonna did a commercial for one of those New York clubs. They even showed that.

But like so many of stars..success went to her head. No surprise at all she feels she can't sign autographs now.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave Wax View Post
    The nicest I had the pleasure to meet was Carol Burnett. No make-up. Glowing skin. She was very not full of herself.

Gosh, there are so many more - this could turn into a page by itself. I'll leave it here.

Was that during the 1970's? I'd LOVE to meet CB. I've so many great stories about her.

Please keep posting more as you remember them!! LOVE IT.

Noelle Page Guest
    Just remembered one--Arlo Guthrie, early 70s, when I was a teenager. Total laid back hippie, of course. When I shook his hand, I went for the conventional way and he went for the thumbs-up cool way, and....well it was a mess of a handshake.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.wanttohaveitall View Post
    Was that during the 1970's? I'd LOVE to meet CB. I've so many great stories about her.

I never met Burnett face to face but I did sit in during one of her Q & A things she loves to do. This was in Denver back in 1990.

advice...if one does meet Carol Burnett..DO NOT MENTION THE TV SHOW
    MAMA's FAMILY !!!.

Just before the Q&A began, her daughter Jody Hamilton told the audience that the TV show is taboo to her and she will will not discuss it. Anything else ( including her National Enquier lawsuit ) was ok..but not Mama's Family. At least not the then-recent syndicated version of the show show ( the one with the Iola and Bubba characters ).

At first it seems odd that Carol would make such a request since she appeared on the show during that first season however during that show from what I read about her and Joe Hamilton was in the process of a messy divorce. And to make matters worse, Carol wanted to do an updated version of Mama's Family because she believed it will be a smash hit, however her her then-new ex-Joe beat her to it and had already signed Vicki Larwence and Ken Barry to the cast.

Carol was right though about the "new" Mama's Family becoming a hit.

Maybe Carol has mellowed out in recent years about the subject, but then again with divorce and money involved...well not really sure. Since Mama's Family is still on TV today, could still be a sore topic with her.

Grave Wax Guest

This isn’t about meeting her, it is about my experience with Shelley Winters:

I saw her in at a dinner theater in a completely forgettable play. Shelley was deathly ill with the flu. She never misses a beat on stage. She was incredible on stage. It was offstage where I come in.

Shelley decided to make the back of my chair her offstage support. The chairs had high backs, so it wasn’t like she was touching me or anything. She just held on, coughing and wheezing and snotting all over the place. She never said a word to me even though I kept turning around to give her a concerned (for myself) look. She just kept returning to my chair after every scene. It must have been where I was positioned that made it attractive to her. Two guys helped her stay upright.

I leaned over the table towards my wife and said, “Oh great! I’m going to catch the flu from Shelley Winters.”

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    I never met Burnett face to face but I did sit in during one of her Q & A things she loves to do. This was in Denver back in 1990.

advice...if one does meet Carol Burnett..DO NOT MENTION THE TV SHOW
    MAMA's FAMILY !!!.

Just before the Q&A began, her daughter Jody Hamilton told the audience that the TV show is taboo to her and she will will not discuss it. Anything else ( including her National Enquier lawsuit ) was ok..but not Mama's Family. At least not the then-recent syndicated version of the show show ( the one with the Iola and Bubba characters ).

At first it seems odd that Carol would make such a request since she appeared on the show during that first season however during that show from what I read about her and Joe Hamilton was in the process of a messy divorce. And to make matters worse, Carol wanted to do an updated version of Mama's Family because she believed it will be a smash hit, however her her then-new ex-Joe beat her to it and had already signed Vicki Larwence and Ken Barry to the cast.

Carol was right though about the "new" Mama's Family becoming a hit.

Maybe Carol has mellowed out in recent years about the subject, but then again with divorce and money involved...well not really sure. Since Mama's Family is still on TV today, could still be a sore topic with her.

Thanks for the story Cathy. I wonder if there's any ill feelings between Carol and Vicki?? Hmm. I guess it was a messy divorce with Joe H. I remember reading that somewhere and then he died not too long afterwards didn't he? Well, if I ever do see Carol, I'll keep mum about MF.

Cathy J. Guest
    Thanks for the story Cathy. I wonder if there's any ill feelings between Carol and Vicki?? Hmm. I guess it was a messy divorce with Joe H. I remember reading that somewhere and then he died not too long afterwards didn't he? Well, if I ever do see Carol, I'll keep mum about MF.
    No problem !!

Vicki Lawrence had a bio published on her life back in the mid 90s called "Fireball" ( or something like that ). I believe she and Carol did patch thing up though by the time the book came out.

Joe Hamilton died in 1991 and his illness did indeed end Mama's Family.
    Joe had cancer which was so bad that it ate half of Hamilton's face..yet he continued to smoke even at staff meetings with the cast. Vicki brings this up in her book. Her, Ken, Dorothy, and the rest of cast had a hard time watching a man they liked so much dying right in front of them and it was decided to end the show so Joe could die in piece.

had Joe been in perfect health, Mama's Family could easily lasted another couple of years and Vicki Lawrence wouldn't have done that infamous short-lived talk show that she started a year or two after Mama's Family.

Bump...since the autograph thread is turning into this one now!

lass1 Guest
    Harry Belafonte really nice man.
    Burton Cummings big ass.
    Randy Bachman nice guy.
    Terry Jacks not nice.
    Joey Gregorash friendly and nice.
    Neil Young friendly since he was begging for money at the time lol.
    Kate Hepburn classy lady.
    Danny Kaye nice guy.
    K.D. Lang nasty b#tch.

Is this a VH1 forum? LOL
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.