Thread: Jeff Smith - The Frugal Gourmet

cachluv Guest

Jeff Smith - The Frugal Gourmet

[SIZE=5]Jeff Smith, "Frugal Gourmet" [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]01/22/39---07/07/04[/SIZE]

Jeff Smith, the once-celebrated "Frugal Gourmet" TV chef who fell from grace, was a hard man to peg.
    To some, the Seattle-based Smith was a "genius" of food and the culture surrounding it. His high spirits, acts of generosity and stalwart friendship, they say, were the true measure of the man.
    To others, he was a tyrant of the public-TV production set, a tireless self-promoter and a chef of mediocre culinary talent.
    He was accused in three lawsuits of sexually abusing some of the young men who worked for him, ending his television career in the 1990s.
    When Mr. Smith died, at age 65, those questions still surrounded him.
    His business manager, Jim Paddleford, said Mr. Smith died in his sleep of natural causes. He had long had heart disease.
    He lived in a condominium in the Pike Place Market area and also maintained a home in Tacoma.
    "I felt the man was a total food genius," said Kathy Casey, a Seattle restaurant consultant and a freelance food columnist for The Seattle Times. "He knew more about food and culture than anybody I know in the food world."
    She and Mr. Smith were friends for some 20 years, beginning when she was a young but rising chef at Seattle's now-closed Fullers Restaurant. "I don't think people knew how generous and supportive he was." He took her on a trip to Chicago ?? where his "Frugal Gourmet" show was first filmed for a national audience ?? giving her a chance to work with him and appear on the show.

He also contributed large amounts to Seattle charities over the years, Casey said. Even after the abuse allegations led to his fall, he continued to cook for numerous charitable fund-raisers, she said.

A Tacoma native, ordained minister and one-time chaplain at University of Puget Sound, Mr. Smith once told The Times that he had "taken my pulpit to television," helping spread a message of the "joy of feasting."
    A student of international cooking, Mr. Smith maintained that food was an avenue toward understanding among cultures. He especially loved Chinese food and for many years cooked a big feast for his friends to celebrate the Chinese New Year.
    But he had his culinary detractors, such as Chicago food and wine columnist William Rice, who wrote, "I've tried to cook his stuff, and let's say it was hit or miss. Some things worked and others didn't."
    Some also contended Mr. Smith was no expert on international cuisine, and that he delivered inaccurate information in his show and books.
    A tall, lanky, white-bearded man in wire-rim glasses, he was known for enthusiasm, given to talking loudly and waving his arms for emphasis.
    But he also was known for crankiness with his crew during the filming sessions of his TV show, both in Chicago and later in Seattle, after he moved production here.
    However, a Seattle chef who worked for him as a prep chef for one season on the Seattle set remembers him as congenial and easy to work with.
    Mr. Smith was considered remarkable in his ability to film his shows straight through without stopping to re-shoot because of mistakes. He once told The Times he wanted the show "to feel as live as possible. If I make a mistake, I just say, 'Oh, my God, look what I did.' "
    Of his blend of high spirits and irascibility, he said, "My emotions are always on the surface, and I'm not embarrassed by that. I think it's the only way I can prevent ulcers."
    Long in love with cooking, he left his college chaplain's position to start a deli and cooking school, the Chaplain's Pantry.
    The "Frugal Gourmet" television show started around 1973 at Tacoma's public-TV station KTPS-TV. In 1983, a Chicago PBS invited him to film there, and soon other PBS stations around the country began picking it up.
    Eventually, his show was seen by millions, and he wrote a string of popular "Frugal Gourmet" cookbooks to go with it. Returning to his home state in the late 1980s, he moved production to Seattle.
    In 1997, seven men filed a lawsuit alleging they had been sexually abused by Mr. Smith as youths. Six said the abuse occurred while they worked for him at the Chaplain's Pantry.
    The seventh alleged Mr. Smith abused him after picking him up as a hitchhiker in 1992.
    Mr. Smith denied the allegations, but he and his insurance companies settled the case out of court.
    Survivors are his wife, Patricia; son Channing and wife, Yuki; son Jason and wife, Lisa.

Kathyf Guest
    I remember he was so popular until all the allegations came out that he was a pedophile then channel 11 PBS took his show off. We still have a few of his books.

magblax Guest
    Those pedophile charges really ruined his credibility and career. I remember watching his show until the accusations came then I never watched him again (or cared to use his recipes).

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]I watched his show for awhile too. I also bought a set of his cookbooks for my mother which I have now. I think I've only used one of the recipes but, it was really good and still one of my favorites...Apples and Cabbage (cooked with onions, a little diced bacon, white wine, salt, pepper and caraway seeds)...that is one really tasty side dish. The title of the cookbook is The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American and the cover features Smith, an older woman dressed as some kind of Eastern European immigrant and two Boy Scouts...that last part kind of takes on a creepier feeling considering the later allegations.[/SIZE]

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeCee View Post
    [SIZE=3]I watched his show for awhile too. I also bought a set of his cookbooks for my mother which I have now. I think I've only used one of the recipes but, it was really good and still one of my favorites...Apples and Cabbage (cooked with onions, a little diced bacon, white wine, salt, pepper and caraway seeds)...that is one really tasty side dish. The title of the cookbook is The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American and the cover features Smith, an older woman dressed as some kind of Eastern European immigrant and two Boy Scouts...that last part kind of takes on a creepier feeling considering the later allegations.[/SIZE]

Oooh. I never knew about the cookbook cover. That is really disturbing...

hoxharding Guest
    My mother still uses his cookbooks.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    The folks in organized religion...nevermind...too obvious

bunny Guest
    Oh my god I did not know he died...just like I did not know Charles Nelson Reily was gay hahaha OK I am living in a ditch with no TV hahahh

phirerednga Guest
    I loved watching his show and love his cookbooks. I own several and they are a very good read. I am always skeptical of those who wait years and years to file lawsuits against someone, especially when they wait until the money starts coming in. But who knows, perhaps it happened, did it ever go to trial, did they win any court appointed settlement?

Quote Originally Posted by phirerednga View Post
    I loved watching his show and love his cookbooks. I own several and they are a very good read. I am always skeptical of those who wait years and years to file lawsuits against someone, especially when they wait until the money starts coming in. But who knows, perhaps it happened, did it ever go to trial, did they win any court appointed settlement?

I agree, he may be guilty, but it seems that success brings the "abused" out of the woodworks sometimes

RocketQueen Guest
    My Mom tortured me with his shows growing up, but I secretly kinda liked em. RIP Frugal Dude!!

Me too, I actually enjoyed watching him.

leeny994 Guest
    his recipes and show were very good. but his um--extra curricular activities, um no

Loved his show.
    ??If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.? - Michael Jackson

stinkythejokedog Guest
    I would stay from his signature Asian dish...Cum of Sum Yung Guy

Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    I would stay from his signature Asian dish...Cum of Sum Yung Guy

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Overtaxed Guest
    I always thought that he and his "assistant" Craig, were a little too much in synch!

djdeath-hag Guest
    My former "father-in-law" looks an awful lot like Jeff Smith....and is also a retired minister & great chef. My ex's older sister used to live right up the hill from Jeff Smith's home in Tacoma....when visiting once, we spied into his kitchen window... sadly, nothing was cookin'.
    R.I.P. Jeff Smith

FannyB1923 Guest
    He had very good programs in their day. As a human being, what a rat!

As for his personal life, feel sorry for his wife and sons, that he lived a double life.
    Also sorry for the young men because he had power over them as "the boss" and took advantage of them. It wasn't a free association.

Giada Guest
    Enjoyed his cookbooks ... Cajun Shrimp, Red Beans and Rice, became family favorites.

ryanolivia Guest
    Wow, I had no idea he was dead.

Earthbound Misfit Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeff Smith.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	49501 Kind of an "Ewww..." photo. The 9-page complaint is on SmokingGun.com. It makes for a disturbing read.

Katrinawitch Guest
    I'll admit, I still have a bunch of his cookbooks, and watched his show a lot. I didn't realize he was only 65 when he died, which IMO was kind of young.

As for the accusations, I lean on the side of believing them. Creepy. As I've gotten older, my gay-dar has gotten much better, and he just gives off a vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthbound Misfit View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeff Smith.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	49501 Kind of an "Ewww..." photo. The 9-page complaint is on SmokingGun.com. It makes for a disturbing read.
    Just read it. Yuck.

He wasn't frugal with his cock.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    He wasn't frugal with his cock.
    Bahahahahahahahahaha