Thread: Johnnie Cochran

cachluv Guest

Johnnie Cochran

[SIZE=2]10/02/37---03/29/05[/SIZE]

Famed attorney Johnnie Cochran dead

From Lenny Bruce, to Michael Jackson, to O.J. Simpson

Famed attorney Johnnie Cochran, perhaps best known for his successful defense of O.J. Simpson, died after suffering from an inoperable brain tumor, his family said. He was 67.

"Johnnie Cochran was a loving, heartful human being who cared about everybody," said William Epps, pastor of the Second Baptist Church in Los Angeles, which Cochran attended for 18 years.
    Cochran died at 12:30 p.m. PT (3:30 p.m. ET) at his home in Los Angeles. His family was by his side and he had been in a hospice, Epps said.
    Cochran's family and members of his law firm issued a joint statement saying the "world has lost not only a legendary attorney, but an outstanding humanitarian."
    "Johnnie's career will be noted as one marked by celebrity cases and clientele. But he and his family were most proud of the work he did on behalf of those in the community," the statement said. "As Johnnie always said, 'An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' It was his rallying cry as he worked to right many wrongs, and as he provided a voice to those who needed to be heard. He was deeply committed to helping and inspiring others, especially young people."
    'If it doesn't fit, you must acquit'

Simpson told CNN: "I loved him as a good Christian man. I look at Johnny as a great Christian. I knew him as that. He was a great guy."
    Simpson said he last saw Cochran at a Los Angeles Lakers basketball game a few months ago and found the flamboyant lawyer to be in good spirits. "We were praying for him then, and I still am," Simpson said.
    Simpson added that he knew Cochran long before he hired the African-American lawyer to lead his "Dream Team" defense. "I was in social circles with Johnnie, and we knew each other in that way," he said.
    Cochran was the lead attorney for Simpson, accused of murder in the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her acquaintance Ron Goldman.
    During Simpson's 1995 trial, Cochran famously quipped, "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit," in reminding jurors during his summation that the former star football running back couldn't fit his hands inside a bloody glove found at the scene of the killings.
    The simple rhyme hammered home for jurors the defense argument that the evidence against Simpson not only failed to fit the crime, but the defendant himself.
    Cochran convinced the jury that race defined the Simpson case and the police investigation against the onetime Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Southern California.
    Simpson was acquitted in the criminal case, but he was later found liable in a civil trial and order to pay the victims' families $33 million.
    Comedian Lenny Bruce

Johnnie L. Cochran Jr. was born in Shreveport, Louisiana, on October 2, 1937, the great-grandson of a slave, and grew up in a prosperous family.
    He was raised in Los Angeles and attended UCLA, supporting himself by selling insurance policies for his father's company. He graduated in 1959 and earned his law degree from Loyola Marymount University in 1963.
    He passed the California bar in 1963, then took a job in Los Angeles as a deputy city attorney in the criminal division.
    His career was intertwined with celebrities almost from its beginning: Among his early cases was a 1964 effort to prosecute comedian Lenny Bruce on obscenity charges.
    In 1965, he entered private practice and soon opened his own firm, Cochran, Atkins & Evans. His current practice, The Cochran Firm, was established in 1981 and has offices in 12 states and the District of Columbia.
    He made his name with a series of high-profile police brutality and criminal cases in the late 1970s and worked as a Los Angeles County deputy district attorney in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
    He negotiated a 1993 settlement in a civil lawsuit against pop star Michael Jackson that accused him of child molestation -- a case that has resurfaced in Jackson's current criminal trial on other child molestation charges.
    And he represented Reginald Denny, the white truck driver beaten by a black mob at the height of the Los Angeles riots in 1992.
    Cochran argued that the city's police department was guilty of discrimination for failing to protect the neighborhood where Denny was assaulted.
    In another high-profile case, Cochran represented Abner Louima, the Haitian immigrant sodomized with a broken broomstick by two New York City policemen.
    And although his 1972 defense of former Black Panther Party member Elmer "Geronimo" Pratt for murder charges wound up in defeat, Cochran's perseverance eventually led to the reversal of that conviction -- and his client's release -- 25 years later.
    The names went on and on: rap singer Sean "Puffy" Combs, on trial for weapons and bribery charges; Rosa Parks, in the lawsuit launched against OutKast and their label, LaFace Records.
    But it was the Simpson trial that defined him.
    In his 2002 book, "A Lawyer's Life," Cochran wrote that the case "gave me the platform to try to change some of those things that need to be changed in this country."
    "It was the Simpson case that put me squarely in a position to make a difference. And that was precisely the reason I became an attorney," he wrote.
    Cochran's flamboyancy inspired parodies -- among them the Jackie Chiles character on "Seinfeld," who unsuccessfully defended the show's gang in the series finale, and sketches on "Saturday Night Live."
    "At times, it was a lot of fun," Cochran wrote of the "Seinfeld" spoof. "And I knew that accepting it good-naturedly, even participating in it, helped soothe some of the angry feelings from the Simpson case."

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Oh....Johnnie Cochran just died????

cachluv Guest
    Did I say that?

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Did I say that?
    No....but most of your posts imply it.

Aside from the life & death dates.....one would think the particular person just bought the farm today.

The content is much appreciated.....it's just served up in a strange fashion is all, and I made a bit of light about it.

poppie Guest
    I was living in Los Angeles area at the time of the OJ trial and one TV station did nothing all day except show what went on in courtroom. We got to see what jurors did not, etc. If OJ did not murder those two people, then I did!!! The look on Robert Kardashian's face when the jury said not guilty sums up Kardashion's real feeling. He said if he had to testify at the civil trial, he would tesify he thought OJ did the murders. I had always hoped that OJ would try to date any daughters that his defense attorney's had. See how these men would like a murderer dating their daughter. Cochran is now dead and that fact does not make what I feel for this scumbag lesson any.

cachluv Guest
    "No....but most of your posts imply it."

---Wrong. They do not. Their dates of death are nearly always posted at the very top of the post.

"Aside from the life & death dates.....one would think the particular person just bought the farm today."

---This makes no sense.

You were just being a smartass. The least you can do is to own it. Nowhere in this forum does it say to only post info for people who have died today. You do have the option to not click on my posts, since they seem to irritate you so.

I've seen your work. I like it here and will not get sucked in. Cruise someone else till you get yourself banned, feel free. Hopefully it won't be much longer.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    "No....but most of your posts imply it."

---Wrong. They do not. Their dates of death are nearly always posted at the very top of the post.

"Aside from the life & death dates.....one would think the particular person just bought the farm today."

---This makes no sense.

You were just being a smartass. The least you can do is to own it. Nowhere in this forum does it say to only post info for people who have died today. You do have the option to not click on my posts, since they seem to irritate you so.

I've seen your work. I like it here and will not get sucked in. Cruise someone else till you get yourself banned, feel free. Hopefully it won't be much longer.
    Holy smokes did all of that fly right straight over your head. hahahaha

Brilliance!

Kathyf Guest
    I Loved watching him on the trial. I also loved when Seinfeld had Jackie Childs on defending kramer a few times it was so funny. I felt bad when he died.

I couldn't stand him - he was a scumbag - helping a murderer go free to walk the streets, and took the money for it...JMO

stinkythejokedog Guest
    The rapping attorney who played the race card adeptly...does not impress me...not a legal genius
    Last edited by stinkythejokedog; 11-17-2007 at 05:05 PM.

GrinReaper Guest
    "Johnnie Cochran was a loving, heartful human being who cared about everybody," said William Epps, pastor of the Second Baptist Church in Los Angeles..."

I doubt that the pastor knew what Cochran did for a living. LOL

I'm not judging the man...I did not know him. But have you ever been to a funeral at which the pastor says, "Today; we bury the lowest of the low..."?

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I'm not judging the man...I did not know him. But have you ever been to a funeral at which the pastor says, "Today; we bury the lowest of the low..."?
    I'm not afraid to pass judgment him...he was a scum lawyer...not glad he's dead...but helped free a murderer along with the rest of the "Scum Team"

GrinReaper Guest
    I saw the opportunity for a lawer joke and I took it. Gosh!

Couldn't stand the man, I hated when they interviewed him on TV when the OJ trial was going on.

Reecy Guest

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Couldn't stand the man, I hated when they interviewed him on TV when the OJ trial was going on.
    All in all Johnnie did his job as OJ's lawyer. He went up there and squashed all the other lawyers to bits. Personally I couldn't stand him and I was heartbroken when OJ walked away. But I have to admit Cochran did the job and he did it right for his client.

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    All in all Johnnie did his job as OJ's lawyer. He went up there and squashed all the other lawyers to bits. Personally I couldn't stand him and I was heartbroken when OJ walked away. But I have to admit Cochran did the job and he did it right for his client.
    I have to agree with you. Of course the jurors were a bunch of idiots. He was a scumbag and I was glad when he died!

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I couldn't stand him - he was a scumbag - helping a murderer go free to walk the streets, and took the money for it...JMO
    Truer words were never typed.....I hope he`s frying in hell, and I hope he`s saving a seat for his good buddy OJ

Jazbabee Guest
    C'mon, it boils down to ethics - lawyers are paid to do their job. It's not like they take an oath based on ethics like Physicians do. I do wonder however, if Mr. Cochran ever felt any guilt for defending OJ ?

ScottyMonger Guest
    As much as I hate to admit it, Cochran did his job of defending OJ quite brilliantly. He was able to get a murderer off the hook.

That case really illustrated to me how cases can be won in the jury selection stage. It's now common practice to use jury consultants in high profile cases.

The jury decided OJ was not guilty, and they will NEVER live that down.
    Last edited by ScottyMonger; 11-18-2007 at 10:46 AM.

laynesgrl Guest

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    C'mon, it boils down to ethics - lawyers are paid to do their job. It's not like they take an oath based on ethics like Physicians do. I do wonder however, if Mr. Cochran ever felt any guilt for defending OJ ?
    I wonder if he believed OJ was truly innocent or truly guilty, but did not care, and just wanted to win!!! I know that is what he was paid to do, but like you I wonder if he ever doubted OJ and felt guilty for doing his job so well!!

He was a defense attorney; His concern was to get SIMPLETON off and make himself appear more ingenius than he was. The question as to the actual guilt of his client meant nothing to COCHRAN. I have no use for either.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !