Thread: Sailor Jerry Collins

Sailor Jerry Collins

Norman "Sailor Jerry" Collins (born 1911, died 1973) is considered the foremost American tattoo artist of his time. He expanded the array of colors available by developing his own safe pigments. He created needle formations that embedded pigment with much less trauma to the skin, and he was one of the first to utilize single-use needles and hospital-quality sterilization. His attention to detail was so precise that the riggings in his nautical tattoos were perfectly accurate. Artistically, his influence stems from his union of the roguish attitude of the American sailor with the mysticism and technical prowess of the Far East. He maintained a close correspondence with Japanese tattoo masters during his career. He regarded tattoos as the ultimate rebellion against "the Squares".
    Sailor Jerryâ??s first studio was in Honolulu's Chinatown, then the only place on the island where tattoo studios were located. He thrived in the hotbed of competition. His work was so widely copied, he took to printing "The Original Sailor Jerry" on his business cards.
    A mischievous sense of humor is frequently on display in Sailor Jerryâ??s work, which included such impish designs as the "Aloha Chimpanzee", an image of a monkey bent over with its head facing out from between its legs and "ALOHA" spelled out on its behind (with a red "O" that also doubles as the chimpanzee's anus). Yet he was an avid and vocal proponent of professionalism and craft. In the tattoo world, he was well-known for his frequent campaigns against middling practitioners, whom he called "scab artists". Conversely, he went out of his way to mentor those tattoo artists whose talents and attitude he respected, among them tattoo legends Don Ed Hardy and Mike Malone, to whom he entrusted his legacy of flash designs.
    At age 19, Sailor Jerry enlisted in the US Navy. It was during his subsequent travels at sea when he was exposed to the art and imagery of Southeast Asia. He remained a sailor for his entire life thereafter. Even during his career as tattoo artist, he worked as licensed skipper of a large three-masted schooner, which he used to conduct tours of the Hawaiian islands. Sailing and tattooing were only two of his professional endeavors. He played saxophone in his own dance band and for years, Sailor Jerry was the ultra conservative, frequently controversial host of his own night talk show on KTRG radio, where he broadcast as "Old Ironsides". Among those things he railed against were flashy tattoo artists such as Lyle Tuttle â?? and what he called "hippie tattoo" culture. From his 20s to his late 50s, he stopped tattooing entirely as a part of a disagreement with the IRS. Sailor Jerry's entrusted his name and his artwork to his two proteges, Ed Hardy and Mike Malone, both of whom have become prominent figures in their own right. Hardy, who turned down an MFT scholarship to Yale in order to pursue tattooing, is known for his artistic sophistication and large-scale tattoos. Malone, who also designs under the name "Rollo Banks", is known for his conceptual boldness and distinctive designs. Hardy and Malone own the royalties to Sailor Jerry's tattoo flash. And it was Malone who took over Sailor Jerry's Honolulu tattoo parlor.
    Sailor Jerry is buried in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, a military cemetery located in Punchbowl Crater in Honolulu. His grave site is 124/Section T.

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    Sailor Jerry ROCKED!! Thank you, JefeStone, for this one. I love anything tattoo related.

Kathyf Guest
    So talented. great story.

I am in Hawaii this week... I am going to try to get to the punchbowl and visit his grave.

OMG, that would be awesome. You should try to visit his old shop.

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    OMG, that would be awesome. You should try to visit his old shop.

It is on the agenda fine sir. Apparently he had 2 locations that are documented... The one on Hotel and then another nearby on Smith Street.

I will take some pics.

Have you seen Hori Smoku yet?

Yuppers.. I need to watch it again. The funny thing is my grandfather was in the Navy here during WW2... and did not get a tat. Boy did he miss out. (He did drink a lot of beer though).

The part that amazed me was the hotel street hookers. 100 men a day? 3 minutes each?

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    The part that amazed me was the hotel street hookers. 100 men a day? 3 minutes each?
    Yeah..crazy times. I just recently found out from my uncle that my grandfather and his brother were in the middle of all that wildness.

What kills me is that some guys would get a full back piece done over a weekend because they had to be back at sea. I could not imagine being on a ship in ww2 trying to properly take care of a new tat.

That is utter bullshit. She should sue the hell out of Ed Hardy. The fact that that guy is selling 150 dollar shirts and Jerry's wife is living outta a suit case is sickening.

Yeah it sucks.

At least I have the chance to go pay respects to the old man considering his art covers most of my left arm. I am happy about that.

He's the gold standard - I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before! Jerry was one of those artists whom everyone else tries to imitate, and fails. I loooove his artwork, I'm a big fan of the pin-up and his are some of the best.

I had no idea the rum was some schmuck company just printing his name on the bottle. Won't be buying that again. That's so sad about his widow, My God.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Interesting post, thanks! I had really only heard of the Sailor Jerry liquor but this thread is a great read. It's a shame that his widow is living like that, and how other people are profiting from his work.

orionova Guest
    Just goes to show, some people have no conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Inked_Daddy View Post
    The funny thing is my grandfather was in the Navy here during WW2... and did not get a tat. Boy did he miss out. (He did drink a lot of beer though).
    Exactly like me, 6 years in and no tat. Btw, the best one I ever saw was a white unicorn on the forearm of a submariner (right up your alley I believe).
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 05-12-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

From My Trip to Honolulu this week...

Jerry's Grave at the Punchbowl...

[IMG][/IMG]

It was not hard to find... he is right by the big memorial

So I visited his old shop. It currently is in the hands of the 3rd owner since his death. It is currently know as Eternal Tattoo and run by Dan Eternal. It is in what is still a bad part of Chinatown in Honolulu on 1033 S. Smith Street. From what I was told by the owner all the pictures you see on the net of Jerry sitting in a chair were taken of him at his station downstairs. Dan is the first owner to move his station upstairs. He tells me he has tattooed artists from all over the world that make the trip to his shop. The shop itself is very, very small. After I got a tat on my leg there I drank a few beers at a seedy little bar next door that looked like it came out of the 60s.

Dan Eternal at his station

View from just inside the front door (Which has triple bolts that were locked as soon as I stepped inside )

Jerry standing outside the door of his shop...

Me standing in the same spot...

And the Tattoo I got that night, yeah the trip to the shop meant that much to me...

Awesome pics! Thank you!

SueWahoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Awesome pics! Thank you!
    I concur, very cool! Thanks!

View from just inside the front door (Which has triple bolts that were locked as soon as I stepped inside )

Locked? As in, no way out? Oh Hell No!

Cool tat, though!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Great pics, ID! Love the Dante staircase! Man the shop looks teeny tiny.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

STsFirstmate Guest
    It is on the agenda fine sir. Apparently he had 2 locations that are documented... The one on Hotel and then another nearby on Smith Street.

I will take some pics.
    You lucky Devil! Not sure what your plans are but try to hit Bubbas if you can fit it in! It was a favorite haunt for my Nephew and I before he passed away! Now I suspect he may haunt it! Fabulous food and great atmosphere!
    http://www.bubbaburger.com/
    My Bubba Tshirt is old and raggy but I still get stopped by people all over the world saying they have been there!
    Thanks for sharing all the great pictures and the new ink!
    Regards,
    Mary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bubbas.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	28173  
    Last edited by STsFirstmate; 05-19-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Locked? As in, no way out? Oh Hell No!

Cool tat, though!
    I could throw the locks to get out... he just had them bolted to keep the bad guys from getting in while we were up stairs. This was in the old red light district of Chinatown.