Thread: Frank Lloyd Wright (June 8, 1867 â?? April 9, 1959)

Kathyf Guest

Frank Lloyd Wright (June 8, 1867 â?? April 9, 1959)

[SIZE=4]Had to add him because his life was filled with affairs/murder I highlighted the interesting areas.[/SIZE]

Local gossips noticed Wright's flirtations and he developed a reputation in Oak Park as a man-about-town. His large family had grown to six children and the brood required most of Catherine's attention. In 1904, Wright designed a house for Edwin Cheney, a neighbor in Oak Park, and immediately took a liking to Cheney's wife, Mamah Borthwick Cheney. Mamah Cheney was a modern woman with interests outside the home. She was an early feminist and Wright viewed her as his intellectual equal. The two fell in love, even though Wright had been married for almost 20 years. Often the two could be seen taking rides in Wright's automobile through Oak Park, and they became the talk of the town. Wright's wife, Kitty,sure that this attachment would fade as the others had, refused to grant him a divorce. Neither would Edwin Cheney grant one to Mamah. In 1909, even before the Robie House was actually completed, Wright and Mamah Cheney eloped to Europe; abandoning their own spouses and children. The scandal that erupted virtually destroyed Wright's ability to practice architecture in the United States.
    Architectural historians have speculated on why Wright decided to turn his life upside-down. Scholars argue that he felt by 1907-8 that he had done every thing he could do with the Prairie Style, particularly from the standpoint of the one-family house. Wright was not getting larger commissions for commercial or public buildings, which frustrated him as it would any highly skilled architect.
    Wright and Mamah Cheney traveled extensively throughout Europe. In 1910, during a stop in Berlin, Wright, with virtually all of his drawings, visited the publishing house of Ernst Wasmuth, who had agreed to publish his work there. In two volumes, the Wasmuth Portfolio was thus published, and created the first major exposure of Wright's work in Europe. The later Bauhaus movement's founders claimed to have been inspired by these books.
    Wright remained in Europe for one year (though Mamah Cheney returned to the United States a few times) and set up home in Fiesole, Italy. During this time, Edwin Cheney granted her a divorce, though Kitty again refused to grant one to her husband. After Wright's return to the United States in late 1910, Wright persuaded his mother to purchase land for him in Spring Green, Wisconsin. The land, purchased on April 10, 1911, was adjacent to land held by his mother's family, the Lloyd-Joneses. Wright began to build himself a new home, which he called Taliesin, by May of 1911.
    On August 15, 1914, while Wright was in Chicago completing a large project, Midway Gardens, Julian Carlton, a male servant whom he had hired several months earlier, set fire to the living quarters of Taliesin and murdered seven people with an axe as the fire burned. The dead were: Mamah; her two children, John and Martha; a gardener; a draftsman; a workman; and the workmanâ??s son. Two people survived the mayhem, one of whom helped to put out the fire that almost completely consumed the residential wing of the house.
    In 1922, Wright's first wife granted him a divorce, and the architect was required to wait for one year until he married his then-partner, Maude "Miriam" Noel. In 1923, Wright's mother, Anna (Lloyd Jones) Wright, died. Wright wed Miriam Noel in November 1923, but her addiction to morphine led to the failure of the marriage in less than one year. In 1924, after the separation, but while still married, Wright met Olga (Olgivanna) Lazovich Hinzenburg, at a Petrograd Ballet performance in Chicago. They moved in together at Taliesin in 1925, followed soon after by Olgivanna's pregnancy with their daughter, Iovanna (born December 2, 1925).
    On April 22, 1925, another fire destroyed the living quarters of Taliesin. This appears to have been the result of a faulty electrical system.[1] Wright rebuilt the living quarters again, naming the home "Taliesin III".
    In 1926, Olga's ex-husband, Vlademar Hinzenburg, sought custody of his daughter, Svetlana. In Minnetonka, Minnesota, Wright and Olgivanna were accused of violating the Mann Act and arrested in October 1926 (the charges were later dropped).
    Wright and Miriam Noel's divorce was finalized in 1927, and once again, Wright was required to wait for one year until marrying again. Wright and Olgivanna married in 1928.
    Turmoil followed Wright even many years after his death on April 9, 1959. His third wife Olgivanna continued to run the Fellowship after Wright's death, until her own death in Scottsdale, Arizona in 1985. In 1985, following the death of Olgivanna, it was learned that her dying wish had been that Wright, her daughter by a first marriage and herself all be cremated and relocated to Scottsdale, Arizona. During the nearly 30-year period prior to Olgivanna's death, Wright's body had lain interred in the Lloyd-Jones cemetery, next to the Unity Chapel, near Taliesin, Wright's later-life home in Spring Green, Wisconsin. (The Unity Chapel, designed by Joseph Silsbee, should not be confused with the much larger and vastly more famous Unity Temple, designed by Wright and located in Oak Park, IL. Wright was the draughtsman for the design of the Unity Chapel.) Olgivanna's plan to exhume her late-husband and cremate him, her daughter and herself called for a memorial garden, already in the works, to be finished and prepared for their remains. Despite the fact that the garden had yet to be finished, his remains were prepared and sent to Scottsdale where they waited in storage for an unidentified amount of time before being interred in the memorial area. Today, anyone who visits the small cemetery south of Spring Green, Wisconsin and a long stone's throw from Taliesin to look upon a gravestone marked with Wright's name will be visiting an empty grave.[7]

Kathyf Guest
    Saw a documentary I was shocked so I wanted to see if anyone else knows.

O'l Frankie was a piece of work alright
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

If you ever get to Scottsdale, Az you have to check out Taliesin West. It's the school/home that FLW worked out of and it is something to see!
    Also, there is the Biltmore Resort in downtown Phoenix. It was designed by a student of his and is a great study in Art Deco design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

poppie Guest
    Actress Anne Baxter was Wright's granddaughter. She died on a street in New York City of a brain aneurysm on December 12, 1985.

WOW, they never taught us that in art class!

GrinReaper Guest

Seth Petterson Cottage

Located in Mirror Lake State Park Wisconsin sits the only Frank designed place for rentals.
    Recently my gf and I spent our second time there.
    Go here to read a little about it.
    http://www.sethpeterson.org/

For even better photos, go here and scroll down.
    http://www.galenfrysinger.com/wiscon...on_cottage.htm

Wiki's entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Peterson_Cottage
    Wisconsin resident Seth Peterson convinced Wright, who was then 90 years old, to design a cottage for him in 1958. Peterson died before the cottage was finished, and the next owners completed the work. Mirror Lake State Park was established nearby in 1962, and in 1966 the land on which the cottage stood was acquired by the state and added to the park. Away from the developed areas of the park, however, the cottage was neglected and fell into disrepair. In the late 1980s. Audrey Laatsch, a local resident, noticed the run-down cabin while canoeing on Mirror Lake and became interested in the structure. Upon discovering its origin, she spearheaded a grass-roots campaign among local residents and Wright-aficionados to restore the cottage. They founded a non-profit organization, the Seth Peterson Cottage Conservancy, in 1989. Their efforts funded a $300,000, three-year restoration that included elements from Wright's original designs that had never been built. The work was finished in June 1992, the 125th anniversary of Wright's birth.

Things Wiki doesn't mention (Figures)
    It is one of the last commisioned works by Frank.
    Seth Petterson would go to Oak Park and look at Frank's designed homes.
    S.P. was so inspired that he persisted Frankie boy to design his dream house for him.
    Despondent of financial and personal problems Seth Peterson commited suicide before he ever lived in his dream cottage.
    It's not very big and there isn't really a lot of room to put in much other furniture. (And whatever funiture is there isn't as comfy as a soft liv. room couch.)
    If you did live there, it would be best to move in with only clothes.
    That's how small it is!
    The fireplace mantel sticks way out and is too short to move under there comfortably to build and maintain a fire.
    The place is ALWAYS booked.
    So if you were to stay you need to make reservations at least a year in advance.
    (It's worth it. It's really nice, quiet and private there. You will have birds and squirrls and a nightly racoon as your only neighbors.)

1karenhb Guest
    Lucky you Grin! I am a big faq of FLW and have never heard of this place. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post

Located in Mirror Lake State Park Wisconsin sits the only Frank designed place for rentals.
    This is true. They are flogging two night one day stays at Falling Water for @2K, but when you read into it, you stay at a newer four suite house nearby. You do not stay under the actual roof.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ChiFan27 Guest
    We have one Wright home in our town and quite a few in my area. I just love the way they look. One's for sale but I don't have a million dollars to buy it.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    Lucky you Grin! I am a big faq of FLW and have never heard of this place. Thanks for the post.
    Ditto on the lucky part! Wow I want to know more about this. Too cool! The first time I actually saw the Guggenheim I got tears in my eyes!
    regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by ChiFan27 View Post
    We have one Wright home in our town and quite a few in my area. I just love the way they look. One's for sale but I don't have a million dollars to buy it.
    We have the national capital of our country designed by one of his disciples.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GrinReaper Guest
    While it's sad, the death hag in me is interested about Seth Peterson commiting suicide.
    He persisted after Frank to design his dream cottage.
    And by persisted he asked for it more then just once.
    So the guy gets his dream realized and then kills himself!?
    I just can't wrap my head around that.

Here's an NY Times which describes it very well.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/02/ga...pagewanted=all
    Last edited by GrinReaper; 03-29-2010 at 12:56 PM.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    While it's sad, the death hag in me is interested about Seth Peterson commiting suicide.
    He persisted after Frank to design his dream cottage.
    And by persisted he asked for it more then just once.
    So the guy gets his dream realized and then kills himself!?
    I just can't wrap my head around that.

Here's an NY Times which describes it very well.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/02/ga...pagewanted=all
    Wow this makes me want to stay there even more!
    Regards,
    Mary

Seagorath Guest
    I must stay in this cottage.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    If you ever get to Scottsdale, Az you have to check out Taliesin West. It's the school/home that FLW worked out of and it is something to see!
    Also, there is the Biltmore Resort in downtown Phoenix. It was designed by a student of his and is a great study in Art Deco design.

Taliesin West is so very very cool. Always head up there when I'm in the Phoenix area. I just love the stunning desert setting, the blending with its natural surroundings, and of course the house itself. The place is like a dream.

---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taliesin-west-scottsdale-az.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	27829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antiques - Taliesin West.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	27830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flw-taliesin05.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	27831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123_taliesin_west_lg.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	27832